“In my Top 3 Best Holidays!!”

Sharks Bay Umbi Diving Village
Ranked #104 of 230 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I originally planned on doing one week holiday next to the hotel pool as travelling on my own. Decided prior to holiday that I would complete my Open Water Referral, so I could see what scuba diving was all about, as so many of my friends had informed me if you go to Sharm - you have to dive!
Booking to do my Open Water at Sharks Bay Umbi Village was so easy - 1 email and all booked for me and booked around my holiday!
I received a car pick up to and from my hotel on each day of my dives with no extra fee, so I didn't have to stress about how to get there and how long it would take.
Everyone (reception, boat crew, instructors) was so friendly, accommodating and explained everything to me so clearly, they really made me feel at ease from the very start. I completed my Open Water Referral and I can say it was the best experience ever!!
My Diving Instructor was brilliant - so I managed to complete my Advanced Open Water within the same week - all unplanned and no stress to me - they booked it all and all I had to do was turn up and enjoy!!
I can't praise the team enough - I will definitely be going back and would refer everyone to this dive centre - they made my holiday and it now sits in my Top 3 Best Holidays!!
Thanks Sharks Bay Umbi Diving Village & See you soon - Roberta

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Roberta S
SHARKSBAYUMBI, Front Office Manager at Sharks Bay Umbi Diving Village, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for your great feedback, we're very happy that you enjoyed your diving courses with us and to be ranked as one of your Top 3 Best Holidays is a fantastic accolade :-) We hope that we will see you again before too long to carry on diving with us :-)

There are newer reviews for Sharks Bay Umbi Diving Village

Reviewed 4 April 2014

We really didn't want to go to Sharm, but was informed a week before departure we could not travel to our chosen destination due to FCO restrictions. Reluctantly we made inquiries about diving in Sharm and contacted a couple of centers based on their TripAdvisor review. We eventually chose Umbi because of their efficiency in getting back to us and their flexibility in meeting our needs.
On day 1 we were picked up from our hotel and taken to their dive center where Hosna went through everything with us, we discussed what we hoped to do and made provisional plans, but everything was very much geared to our pace.
To start we chose to do a couple of shore dives on the house reef with Adel, where we met Napoleon (Wrasse) and 2 of his family which was amazing. So much so that we gave up a day's boat diving at the end of our stay to see them again (this time with our camera). We completed our "Enriched air" course and had several days boat diving on Gordon Reef, Jackson Reef (Jackson Reef was mind blowing for just the sheer number of fish) & Ras Mohammed. We dived from a couple of the "Freedom" boats, which were comfortable and more than adequate. The crews were extremely helpful and the food served up was fresh and plentiful.
I didn't start diving till my 50's and find it harder than a lot of younger, fitter divers, however everyone at Umbi whether its the boat crews or the guys in the center and on the house reef did everything possible to make things easier for me and ensure I enjoyed the diving.
We can't praise or thank the "Umbi family" enough and wouldn't even consider go anywhere else if holidaying in Sharm.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bev H

Thank you so much for a lovely review and we're glad that perhaps we changed your views on staying and diving in Sharm ;-) We hope that we will see you both again soon :-)

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed at Umbi the first week of March - our second visit to the hotel, and third to the dive centre.
As with our first hotel stay (last year) the room was excellent - clean, spacious (bedouin room), functioning fridge and air con (that isn't always a given even in the big 5 star hotels), comfortable bed, good sized balcony, and outstanding views over Sharks Bay.
The food in the restaurant was cooked to order, and was correspondingly fresh. In addition to the restaurant there was a beach bar serving snacks, drinks, and fresh fruit juices (pulped before your eyes), and the "Bedouin tent", a very chilled bar area. One of the great joys of staying somewhere like this is you don't get bothered every 5 minutes by people trying to sell you massages, trips into the desert or try dives ;) .The facilities are completed by a beach (plenty of sun-loungers), massage facilities, water sports, various small shops selling the usual holiday essentials, and the main reason to go - the dive centre...

The dive centre manages to achieve what few manage - to be both relaxed and professional.
Check-in was a painless experience, with the usual formalities confirming qualifications, last dive dates, insurance, medical declarations all dealt with quickly and efficiently, but also with good humour. At no time do you feel like you are being "processed" here. Should you wish they offer a (pretty much) full range of courses here - several guests were studying whilst we were there, and from what we could see the standard of tuition was excellent.

Whilst we took all our own gear from what we could see the rental kit was in good order, all the fills we had were full (none below 190 bar). All the staff were attentive without being "in your face".
The house reef has a good range of life (we missed the mantas that were in the bay 2 weeks after we left) ranging from the smallest nudibranchs up to one of the biggest Napoleon wrasse I have ever seen... There are of course the usual rinse tanks, drying areas and lockers for guests.

To the boat diving...
One of the great joys of diving with Umbi is they own the jetty.
Why is this important? It means you miss the queues for the boats - passing straight to the front - before boarding. A minor detail, but it does save what could easily be half an hour standing in a queue before boarding so makes for a much more relaxing start to the day - something of more importance when it comes to the heat of June/July/August.
All your gear is put in a crate at the centre, and the centre deals with getting this on the boat. You only have to worry about packing it, and making your way to the jetty when everyone is ready. Once on-board it's time for you to unpack and put your gear together. You are not hassled by the crew/guides whilst doing this but for those who need help, or if there are any issues, they are more than happy to help. The boats we used (and used on previous occasions) were all clean, in good repair, and crewed by an excellent - erm - crew. The briefings were detailed and informative without being over the top, and the guiding was sensitive to the needs of the guests on the boat catering for pretty much all needs. In terms of site selection, they were happy to discuss this with the guests (within reason), tailoring them to experience level, sea conditions, and where people want to go. One thing we did note - that was from our perspective brilliant - for those needing/wanting a checkout dive from the boat this was done separate from and in addition to the diving itinerary. This had two benefits - the guides/instructors could be completely focused (where required) on the checkout dive, and as a group we weren't as restricted on the first dive as you often can be when the "checkout" is done as part of the main itinerary. Speaking of which, I cannot praise the guide we had (Adel) enough - he was clearly concerned about the safety of his "charges" but not overbearing with it. He was very knowledgeable as to the local sites, reefs and creatures therein, and very helpful where it came to finding "subjects for photos etc.
The food on the boat was excellent - plentiful, fresh, well cooked, very tasty, and superb value - it's almost worth going on the boat trips for this alone.

In terms of returning of an evening - unlike some centres the "tradition" with umbi is you leave the kit on the boat. Some people are uncomfortable with this, preferring to take it back to the centre and rinse it off there - I have a different perspective. If you were on a liveaboard you wouldn't do this. The kit would just be swapped onto another cylinder ready for diving the next day - not so different., If you wish there is a hose on the back, so connectors etc can all be rinsed with fresh water to minimise salt build up - same with any other gear. I would rather not have the hassle of lugging kit back and forth unnecessarily. If you are genuinely concerned about this then just ask them to offload your kit each day - I'm sure they would.

Whilst this hotel doesn't have the swimming pools and all inclusive "animations teams" of the bigger hotels, this is not what they are about. They offer simple, friendly service and accommodation targeted to the diving market, and as far as we are concerned they provide a top notch service. Would we go again? Well this was our second visit, and we will be back again in June. They appear to have a lot of other repeat visitors too. Their tag line is "come as a guest, leave as a friend". We genuinely feel that has happened, and look forward to seeing the staff (and other guests) on our return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank robhill56

Thank you very much for your great review, we're all looking forward to seeing you both again in just a few weeks time and will try to have the mantas and dolphins ready for you :-)

Reviewed 10 March 2014

we have never written a review before the Umbi Sharks Bay deserves it. We have just come back from a great week there and already miss it! We will most certainly endeavour to go back again...
Our family room was airy and comfortable with split level design, the generous balcony facing the sea was off the parents room and the Childrens room was on the upper level with twin beds, and separated from the main bedroom by a folding door.
Each room had its own air conditioning unit, and there is a small fridge with a daily bottle of water which is much appreciated!
The clear waters of the Red Sea were meters from the hotel and provided plenty of fish for snorkelers (old and young)! to enjoy. The lovely house reef just in front of the hotel made it possible for parents to dive while the children (>10 yrs) entertained themselves with snorkelling under the eye of the staff - so, everyone was happy (-;
Hotel restaurant served simple but fresh and tasty food, the staff are professional while at the same time very friendly and accomodating - open to serving the food at different locations around the hotel (bedioun tent, dive centre, room),
The Bedioun tent is a relaxing place to end the day, listening to the gentle laps of the sea on the sand just meters away.
.....And the best until last - i have never come across a place where the staff ( both hotel and dive centre) are so friendly and helpful. Both parents and children felt so comfortable there - the stresses of everyday life were left behind within hours of arriving at Sharks Bay.

I have one suggestion to the hotel management and that would be to provide well fitting mosquito nets on all the beds.

Room Tip: Obviously best views are from higher up ... then don't complain about the steps (-;
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank fiona p
SHARKSBAYUMBI, Front Office Manager at Sharks Bay Umbi Diving Village, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Hi Fiona,
Many thanks for the nice review, we're glad that you and your family enjoyed your time here with us and we have noted your comment regarding the mosquito nets which we know need to be replaced in many cases and new ones are already being ordered. We hope that we can welcome you all back before too long :-)

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Had a lovely room, very clean and comfortable, with fantastic views over the bay. The breakfast was great, as were the meals we had in the restaurant, and the staff were wonderful. The snorkelling from the beach was amazing. Went out on the dive boat for a day and although I am no longer able to dive, I was impressed by the dive guide, and the lunch was excellent. This was my first time in Sharm and five star, all inclusive resorts leave me cold, so to find this place was great. It is quiet and relaxing, with a very friendly atmosphere. Couldn't ask for more. I loved it so much I am already planning a return visit!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ClaraCT
Reviewed 18 February 2014

February 2014. Had a room with a fantastic view over the bay. Lovely sunrise and sunsets. Room was clean and comfortable with plenty of hot water for showers. We had never snorkelled before but dive guide was very helpful and patient (as was my son who pulled me round with a ring) when we went out with the boats. Snorkelling was much easier for us from the beach in front of the hotel and it was amazing. All staff friendly and helpful (carried our bags up and down the 77 steps to our room) with good restaurants nearby. A great holiday. Thank you all.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Margaret H
Reviewed 5 January 2014

December 2013, 1 week diving holiday. Had one of those simple cabins on top of the cliff, which are great value for the money (20€/night) with a shared bathroom. Everything really simple but functional and up to me needs (hygienic and other). A towel would have been nice though. The diving itself was great, also the house reef where I spent my first two days has really a _lot_ to offer, you hardly get bored there. The hotel/village stuff, the people from the diving center and even everyone working in the shops, the restaurant etc. where really nice and helpful. Everything was really nice and quiet, hardly any children, no noisy music on the beach, no vendors stepping on your toes with their sunglasses etc., real good for relaxing. Overall, as a single guy who was mainly interested in diving I can _really_ recommend this place. If you're into all-you-can-munch, stupid activity programs or luxury suites, you better go somewhere else. I will definitely be back here, also because I met a bunch of real nice people during my stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on top of the cliffs are real quiet, though a bit cold during the night in winter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo