“I'd never experienced hatred toward a hotel until I stayed here.”

Aida Hotel Sharm El Sheikh El Hadaba
Ranked #219 of 233 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 6 April 2010

I don't even know where to begin with this. I'll start with the most serious problem: the staff. With the exception of one guy working one morning at 3am, the entire staff is unfriendly and downright shifty. The guests are something for them to endure, not help, and one of them almost rolled his eyes when he saw me approaching the reception desk. Further, if you have a question or problem, they just tell you whatever they think will most quickly make you go away or hang up. Here are examples:

EXAMPLE 1:
Our air conditioning was broken, and after being told several times over the course of two hours that maintenance will be there in 5 minutes, we simply stood at the reception desk and waited until they actually made the call to maintenance.

The maintenance people showed up a bit later, but they didn't speak English, so I wasn't able to explain the problem to them. They made a half-hearted fix-it attempt and left. The next night, we went through the same ordeal, trying again to get it fixed. After about an hour, we tried the waiting-at-reception routine again. This time, we waited for about 30 minutes until we just asked the staff to tell us straight out whether maintenance was actually going to come, so that we can stop wasting our time. They said sorry, maintenance wasn't going to come.

It was at that point that I sought out the manager and explained the staff problems. He made a call and maintenance showed up 5 minutes later. The employees were apparently hoping we'd just go away and forget about it.

EXAMPLE 2:
The staff lies. Upon overhearing something about a free dinner for guests one night, my girlfriend went to the restaurant and asked about it. The restaurant clerk checked the list for my name and room number and said yes yes, it was free for us, I could come down anytime and eat for free. So I did. But the food selection was awful, so I just ate a couple of bites and got up to leave, only to be told by the clerk that I owe money for the meal. I complain to him about it, my girlfriend does the same, he says that the manager told him to charge us (which was a lie, as I later found out). I go to the manager (again), explain the situation, we bring in the clerk, he says that yes, he told my girlfriend the food was free, but he didn't tell that to ME. What? Anyway, the clerk leaves, the manager says he will punish him for lying, but that he still has to charge me for the meal. Why? Because HIS general manager told him there was no middle ground when it came to bills. Whatever. $14 for a few bites of pasta.

OTHER ISSUES:
Out of 5 supposedly onsite restaurants, I could find only two. One was a simple poolside bar. The other had a "panoramic" view, as advertised, but it was a view of the pool; it also had a breakfast and lunch menu catering to the primarily Russian and Polish tourists who stay here. The breakfast buffet was 90% desserts, nothing redeeming or healthy.

The free wi-fi didn't work during our stay. I doubt it's ever worked, really. You can pay to use their internet-connected computer, though...

The rooms were big enough, but the bathroom could have been a little cleaner. It smelled slightly of the sewer, and the door didn't close. As I said, the AC didn't work for us and for many others. Other people apparently didn't have working water.

Twice each early evening, they clear the pool and outdoor area and flood the place with noxious smoke from a handheld blower, presumably to get rid of Mosquitos, but it didn't really work. They still somehow got in the room and I woke up the next day with my legs and arms covered in bites.

SUMMARY:
I've stayed in hostels and enjoyed it, so I didn't have any high expectations for this place. Nevertheless, I hate it and the people who work there.

By the way, the Aida group that owns the hotel has a website of sorts, but none of the contact information on it is valid...

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ragamoffyn

Reviewed 25 February 2010

We had the misfortune of being placed here for one night when Monarch Airlines had problems with our return flight and we had circa 22 hrs delay. Clearly a cost-based decision to house us in this "hotel" - if that's what you can call it. I've written to Monarch to complain about their actions.

No Uk tour operators even use the hotel normally.

Dirty rooms, dirty linen, unsafe wiring, appalling food, lots of insects & mosquitos.
If you ever get delayed with Monarch/Cosmos and they offer to put you in this hotel my advice is to sleep at the airport, which is what 12 people did after finding cockroaches in the bedrooms/bedding. Alternatively a night sleeping on the streets would probably be better.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank ISWHalifax
Reviewed 24 February 2010

sent to this hotel for one night due to flight cancellation thank goodness it was only one night have a look at a couple of recent photos, although we were entitled to a meal we would not eat at the hotel as itl was so dirty.the rooms were really awful , this was meant to be a 4 star hotel how can a hotel this bad get this rating

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank packo59
Reviewed 23 February 2010

We were put in this hotel for one night (thank god) as our flight was cancelled. This hotel is nothing but a flea pit, and we have the bites on our bodies to prove it!!!!! The room was dirty, dangerous (as the light switch was hanging off the wall) and the bedding was filthy. I no it was only for one nights stay, but it was the night from hell. DO NOT BOOK TO GO TO THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lancashire2
Reviewed 6 November 2007

Was taken to this hotel as our flight was delayed for a day, would never booked this hotel myself for an holiday as it was dirty and most people asked to change rooms which were full of old furniture and the rooms smelt. Dont go there.

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed 29 October 2007

Unfortunately we had the unpleasurable experience of staying in this hotel due to a cancelled flight.
Staff were lovely but the rooms were disgraceful, old, worn,bed like a boat, curtains hanging off, food disgusting, chefs couldn't even fry an egg well! not enough sunbeds and I wouldn't have dreamed of going in the pool it looked so minging.
Didn't think places like this still existed.
Look elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 11 May 2007

Aida hotel is built on a hill over the old city. In five minutes walking distance you can reach the old city centre with its typical restaurants and, pubs and shops.

The hotel is very plain, not a luxury or a big international one, but upstanding; staff is polite, rooms are quite clean and food, according to my Italian-taste, very good and variegated.

The swimming pool is not very big. There is also an Internet point in the central hall and a bar. Remember that the hotel doesn’t serve alcoholic drinks, but you can buy beer and wine in the old city and bring them with you also for meals in the hotel restaurant.

It is not an hotel right over the beach and every time you need to take the hotel bus shuttle or a taxi (very very cheap here); it takes about 5 minutes to El-Fanar beach (with the coral reef) or you can choose to go to the sandy beach, ideal for family with children but without coral reef.

El-Fanar beach is definitely the best for snorkeling and scuba diving, but the spot for the hotel guests is ridiculous. I suggest to go a little bit down the road and choose, for only 40 Egyptian Pounds, the real “El-Fanar Beach”, a resort with a better beach, bar, restaurant and the possibility to hire scuba diving equipment. The price includes also towels and a bottle of water.

Naama Bay is 10 minutes far with taxi and is a good place to go especially in the evening: here yoo may find many discos, casinos, pubs and restaurants.

Definitely a great place to go if you look for a beautiful sea, relax and sun!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Ale_Rn