“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #147 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
London
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2009

We stayed at the Oriental Rivoli for a long weekend (travelled over from Jordan) and I have to say, I was really impressed with this Hotel. Just to give you an idea of my expectations, Sharm had never appealed to me as a holiday spot. Whilst I do like to visit places which cater for tourists, I always prefer places where you feel more integrated with local life, rather than an impostor, intruding on the local landscape and culture. I'm afraid to say, Sharm is what I expected in that sense, as in, there is really no sense of local culture. Having said that, it made for a very romantic weekend break with my husband.

Back to the Oriental Rivoli – from the very front of the hotel, it doesn't look like anything special and is just on the main hotel strip, but once we got inside, the hotel surrounds felt a lot more exquisite. An unexpected hideaway. Dare I say 'boutique hotel' in style. I relished the decor of our room (ours was without a patio door), which had a very intimate, eastern and luxury feel to it. There was little natural light flooding into the room through the latticed wooden windows, but that added to the ambiance. I would normally worry about lack of natural light in a room, but really, it suited the whole experience and besides, the hotel has a pleasant pool and garden area to interact more with the sun, fresh air and mountain backdrop. We loved the bathroom too with pleasurable walk-in mosaic tiled shower. Our room was clean, comfy and well maintained for the duration of our stay. It felt secure and there was a room safe provided which we always used for valuables.

The hotel isn't on the beach, but there was access to the Days Inn beach (5 mins walk) at the time of our stay. The beach was crowded and the sun loungers and towels had seen better days. We much preferred hanging out in the Oriental's own pool and garden which was well kept, tranquil and relaxing.

We ate in the hotel restaurant the first evening (which was included in the price), but this was the first and last time we ate there. Although the restaurant had a clean appearance and was nicely decorated, I soon changed my mind about eating there when I saw a couple of flies hovering around the food. I'm not saying that this was necessarily a reflection of poor hygiene, but the restaurant could have made better provisions for keeping all of the buffet food covered as the doors to the restaurant were open. We ended up eating out in the Naama Bay area (15 minute stroll away) which suited us fine.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you are interested in Sharm for a holiday, are looking for accommodation that is clean, a bit different, with unexpected charm, well kept and more affordable than a 5 star complex. It also made for a good base to explore the area.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisabunny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
andrelechef
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2009

I have literallly just returned from a stay at the Oriental Rivoli and was very happy with my stay. The hotel is a 15 minute walk from the centre of Naama bay or 3 mins in a taxi. Next to it is a Mcdonalds, Starbucks, Sushi house, CLaires acessories, mall, restaruant and a 24.7 shop so you really cant ask for more!!

Upon my arrival the reception staff instantly greeted me and even knew my name as im guessing i was last to check in but thats a very welcoming feeling to know they are on top and they had everything ready, very reassuring start! I was taken to my room and shown all the amenities, everything explained fully. I tried to tip the guy and he refused saying it was no problem, my first taste of how the staff really do work for the customer!!

Unfortunately i booked a basic room and it was very nice but had no window or balcony etc, this meant my room was always cool in the 40 degrees plus heat outside but kinda ruined it for me as every hotel i stayed at in Sharm had a balcony so i was expecting it but my only complaint! ( I later found out i could of asked to upgrade for a small fee which i would of done but i onloy found out on the last day!). The room had a flat screen TV, new aircon machine remotely controlled and a very nice walk in shower with free safety box and well stocked mini bar.

There are 3 very nice pools, very clean and well layed out with bar staff constantly on hand in a very non intrusive way. If you wanted a drink a slight nod and he would rush over to assist, after been asked once they generally let you lay in peace but constantly be around like a invisible service waiting for your call. Very proffesional.

The Newly built dry martini bar although very quiet was fantastic. Sameh who was the barman at the time was VERY VERY passionate about his job, nothing was too much trouble. It was good to watch him take pride in what he was doing and chatting to guests while maintaining a professionalism that is somewhat missing in hotels nowadays. I mentioned i was going to Cairo, next thing i know he offers to give me a map he has and advice on what to do etc. Always with a smile so well done!!! I would love to have a guy like this work for my hotel!

The shisha bar was good also, i wanted to use my laptop as wi fi was available, next thing i know the barman is moving furniture so im comfortable and provides a extension lead so i can plug it in!! Again, very good serice.

Unfortunately i did not eat at all in the hotel as i was b&b and do not eat breakfast but everymorning i seen the pool area full of diners looking happy, the selection looked good and a team of chefs would serve piping hot food to be what looked like good portions. Dinner was the same packed evrynight. Also if you do not fancy this you can ask the chefs to cook whatever you want and eat in one of the bars or pool, cant really ask for more can you!!!

Overall i would DEFO go back but i woul dnot book the "comfort room" as the little more expense for a suite or superior room would be well worth it!!

Well done Oriental Rivoli!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank andrelechef
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2009

I stayed at the oriental rivoli for a week from the 9th June 2009 with 9 other friends! This hotel has bags of character and charm that you wouldn't find in any other in sharm el sheik! We arrived pretty late as our flight was delayed..(dam charter flight! lol) but check in was fine. The rooms were definately what we expected from pictures and other descriptions! bathrooms are clean. There are three main pools and then also a baby pool.
We are all in our 20's and would definately reccommend it to teens who don't want to be in the main town area with all the hustle and bustle...its pretty chilled out here, but not too far from the nightlife. i would say that the walk from the hotel into naama bay is roughly 25 mins, and by taxi a 3 minute drive, but be careful in cabs as they will try to bump you. We didnt pay more than 10-15 egyptian pounds for a taxi.
The hotel staff are mostly pleasant, however we did find the reception staff to be quite rude at times. Our main thanks would go out to the bar man Totti who made our stay in egypt very enjoyable, and looked out for us. Hes a very entertaining, hospitable and kind hearted person! THANKS TOTTTI! Also thanks to the Boss of the Hotel who was very kind and friendly too.
I would definately reccomend going to the oriental spa in the hotel. The massages will send you to sleep, and the steam room is good. The shisha room was well decorated and a nice place to relax with the girls, and for one shisha it cost 10 egyptian pounds, which is reasonable.
The only downer would be the breakfast...not a varied choice, and quite dark room. However dinner at the hotel was nice!
The nightlife is awesome in naama bay, plenty of shisha lounges, and restaurants and a few clubs. in particular we enjoyed camel bar, pacha, zaza, and hard rock. A word of caution be careful with the water and making sure that the food is piping hot!
The beach is also really nice and only about a10 minute walk from the hotel.
overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the oriental rivoli, the only complaints are the reception staff and the breakfast that needs improvement. Apart from that a wonderful stay!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
poland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2009

I stayed at this hotel last year with a large group of friends. We are in our twenties so it was obvious that we party a lot and we thought that oriental rivoli is a good destination for us but it wasn't. The staff was unpleasant and what I remember most is their rudness. Morover we didn't cause troubles because only small part of hotel was opened last year so there weren't many guests., Any families with small children or elderly.
However rooms are nice and clean, arabic style which is nice. Clean and quite big pool, only one last year , very comfortable sunbeds. But we didn't like dark rooms wihout balcony and with small, grated windows. Unfortunately far to the beach.
Food as usual, nothing special, I prefer all-inclusive hotels.

To sum up, I would like Oriental Rivoli if staff had been more polite.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank zoffen
OrientalRivolli, Manager at Oriental Rivoli Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2009
Thank you myt dear guest , this group of teenages(15-18 yeras ) we get use to have it on our hotel,but in some cases the under the responisablity superviosr of the group ( teachers ) we have to control them attuied aginest the other guest ..load music,load voices .etc..concerning the staff never be unplasent with our guest , beach it's just 3-5 min walking maximum from recpetion door ..thank you for review.
Poland, Warsaw
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2009

We stayed in the hotel for two weeks in May 2009. It was our honeymoon and that place was a good choice.
We really liked the staff because they were always smiled and helpful.
The hotel was quite nice, clean, has three polls and a few bar-rooms. I need to write about one thing I didn't like at all. It's the window in our room. Actually there were two very little windows.
Food wasn't bad and there were always a lot of dishes to choose. Pancakes and omlets were delicious.
The Beach wasn't far away, Just five mins walk. My wife liked a dance competition there. The reef was damaged by swimmers but I was able to see plenty of colourful fishes.
Oriental Rivoli is placed in a very good location. There's 247 shop (good prices), McDonald's, Bank (Money Exchange), Starbuck's Cafee and many others.
I would recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2009

I absolutely loved the Oriental Rivoli! I have been vacationing in Sharm for 6 years now and know the area very well, I can confidently say it is by far the best place to stay! I was treated like family from the first moment. All of the staff were polite and sought to make our stay pleasurable. I forgot a silver ring in my room and as I was at reception leaving I found one of the housekeeping staff running to return it to me. I was so thrilled! Later that night in Cairo the hotel telephoned my friend to inform him he had forgotten his coat in his room and could they send it to him somewhere. Truly outstanding service and high integrity at the Rivoli! The hotel itself is beautyfully decorated with an authentic Middle Eastern style. It has all the amneities one expects of a 5 star hotel without the pretension. I am returning in August and will never stay anywhere else whenever I go to Sharm! Thank you to all the staff and keep up the great work =)

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank maze56
cumbria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2009

We have just arrived back today and i couldnt wait to right this review to warn other people.
My husband thought he had mis placed his wallet which had his credit card in, This is very un like him as he is normally very carefull with money etc. We turned the whole room upside down looking in every nook and cranny an ant could get in let alone anything else as i had a suspicions it had been stolen from our room. It was not to be found anywhere so we reported it to the hotel and cancelled the card. There was no concern from the hotel at all.
We were due to fly home and miracously the card turned up at reception saying they had found it under the bed! utter rubbish, but where was the wallet i ask? 30 mins later the wallet happened to be found somewhere else!!!! There was no way this card could have even fall out as you can barely pull it out. We raised our concern again as they obviously have a theft problem and basiclly they couldnt have cared less.
I have just read the other review about theft at this hotel and they really cant be bothered about a member of their staff being a thief. shocking 'BE VERY AWARE' I would def not recommend.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple