“Great Snorkelling, Very Nice Resort - Met All Our Expectations”

Taba Hotel and Nelson Village
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Taba
Twickenham
“Great Snorkelling, Very Nice Resort – Met All Our Expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

We booked this resort with two main priorities : good snorkelling, and good weather; anything over and above that would be a bonus. We also were fairly confident that, with the Hilton brand name, the hotel itself and its facilities were going to be of a fairly high standard.
The snorkelling was better or as good as we have had anywhere (we have snorkelled in the Caribbean, the Maldives and Thailand). The water was incredibly clear (especially before the banana boat started operating in early afternoon, although even this was far enough out not to make much difference) and there were excellent reefs all along the beach just a few yards from the shore. All of it was easily accessible, although some would choose to have some form of water-shoes to walk the first bit as it was a little stony. The marine life was very varied and we saw quite a few fish we have never seen before including giant morays, puffers and box fish – all in the shallow parts of the reef (be patient – some only like to pop their heads out for brief periods!)
The weather was fantastic; not a cloud in the sky all week. It was hot (35-40) but it was a dry heat, so much easier to cope with. (Pretty well no mosquitoes either - huge bonus!)
Our ‘standard’ room was fine if a bit small, but we chose to upgrade to a sea-view room as we preferred having a balcony. The room was extremely clean, the bathroom good (a bit more water pressure for the shower would have been nice), the bed very comfortable and the daily room-clean was excellent (towels in pretty shapes on the bed, little flowers etc).
All the staff were astonishingly friendly and helpful, always smiling, saying hello and asking how things were. On the rare occasion we required something, it was handled quickly, efficiently and, without exception, in a polite and gracious manner. Without doubt it was the best service I have ever experienced in a hotel. What made this even more gratifying was that, as the majority of hotel guests were on an all-inclusive basis, most people were ‘cash-less’, thus the staff were fully aware that they were not going to be tipped for each and every little thing they did. They were all genuinely nice and a big, big thanks to one and all of them.
Our only gripes:
The food was bland. The main (buffet-style) restaurant did serve a reasonably wide variety (fish, meat, pasta, vegetarian, salads, desserts etc) but, whilst it was all perfectly well cooked, somehow it all seemed to lack any spark. Nothing seemed to have any ‘kick’ to it or leave you thinking how tasty it was. Obviously it is ‘catering-to-the-masses’ but it should be possible for a Hilton operation to make things a little bit more exciting.
There were also two other restaurants on-site that served a set menu for the all-inclusive patrons – Marhaba, serving Egyptian food, and Nelsons, a sort of Tex-Mex operation. Once again, in both restaurants, the staff were fantastic but the food lacked imagination. There were 3 choices for each course and these were the same every night. Varying the menu a few times should not have been an insurmountable task, especially as most guests were there for only a week, and there was a very limited availability. It appears that there was a maximum of 75 total spaces spread over the 2 sittings at the 2 venues. The reservation system also got more chaotic as the week progressed, with fairly unruly queues building up earlier and earlier at the only booking station.
And why was the only fish that was ever served in any of the 3 restaurants sea-bass?
Wine was only available to all-inclusive guests in the restaurants. It was local Egyptian wine and not very expensive – why not allow guests to drink wine in any of the bars without having to pay for it? We did raise this with Chris, the manager, at the ‘meet-and-greet’ in one of the bars on the second night. Chris was extremely pleasant but was unable to explain why. He did, however, very kindly have a bottle (nicer and more expensive) delivered to our room the following morning; many thanks for that, Chris – it was a very nice gesture.
One final gripe, although this is a problem worldwide. Every day we had to play the ‘search-for-a-sunbed-without-a-towel-on-it’ game! A glance out of the balcony soon after 8.00am would reveal a sea of towels and a smattering of bodies (both by the pool and on the beach). There must be a way to ‘police’ the staggering selfishness of the extremely ignorant people who feel it is their divine right to ‘claim’ a space for themselves which they will not be using until considerably later. 3 or 4 dedicated staff members could easily monitor the situation and ensure this abuse is curtailed and unnecessary arguments are, thus, avoided.
All in all a thoroughly enjoyable holiday and, once again, a big thanks to each and every one of the staff. We would have no problem recommending the resort for an extremely relaxing and pleasant holiday, as long as you are aware this a (mainly) all-inclusive resort with the occasional drawback that this entails.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

The staff were wonderful. They were always smiling and eager to please. Chris the hotel manager made himself available and was happy to hear guests comments (good or bad). I would avoid July/August as it is soooo hot there and the Israel Arabs take their vacation then and don't have much respect for other guests. All in all very good value for money we have just returned from a wonderful break there. You need to ask for a 7th floor room if you are a non smoker. Sea view rooms are worth paying that bit extra for. I would return in the spring/autumn and maybe take my grandchildren as there is lots for them to do.

Room Tip: 7th Floor for non smokers. Sea view a must.
1 Thank ballroom04
ChrisSherman, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Please allow me to thank you for taking the time to write your positive review. I am so proud that I can discuss your comments with my team at our weekly meeting.

We are looking forward to you returning with your grandchildren, we will all look after you when you visit us again soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

Great hotel, very clean and lots to do. Also very handy for day tours to Petra and Jerusalem due to location. Whilst everything is of an extremely high standard, the main thing that strikes you is the the work ethic and personality of the staff. They never seem to lose their patience and ALWAYS want to do anything asked of them, I regularly saw them going well beyond the call of duty for guests!

They are an absolute credit to this hotel. Met Chris Sherman, the General Manager and his management team at a meet and greet and you could tell they are really keen on making your stay as pleasant as possible. Despite how amazing the staff were, I even managed to find some staff members that really are as good as it gets.

In the restaurant, Yasser the manager, Mohammad Ismael and Mohammed Said were really amazing, even down to sometimes knowing what you wanted next. These guys were exceptional throughout the week. I never write reviews, but these guys were too good! I hope Chris, the GM let's them know how much we appreciated them. I recommend this hotel, you'll like it.

Room Tip: Sea View rooms on the 10th Floor have amazing views
1 Thank reg6ft3
I would like to thank you for your positive review, it is a pleasure to pass on your thanks to my team, which I will do as always.

We all hope that you will return very soon as there will be a warm welcome.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write your great comments

Kind regards
near brimingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

I have just returned from the Hilton Taba where I spent a week all inclusive with my 2 friends, an all female party (38 - 45 age group). We decided to upgrade to the Nelson Village after the first night and it was the best decision we made. Our rooms were kept spotless, the aircon a real treat after a day of sun and it was a week of pure relaxation which was spent on the beach.

There wasn't many Brits there but plenty of Eastern Europeans who gave us many moments of laughter, particularly with their fashion choices and wacky hairstyles. We spotted mullets, too tight and too small speedos and wacky evening wear which kept us amused - so much so we totally missed the entertainment programmes.

We felt very safe and the staff treated us with respect and courtesy - not once were we ever made to feel uncomfortable. Mohamed and Ahmed from the Beach bar and Rainbow Bar respectively deserve every bit of praise that comes their way - always a smile and service to warm your heart and make you feel like you had made a friend. The towel boy was also a little gent too - although I can't remember his name, he always tried to master his english and he remembered our names and greeted us every morning and afternoon. The other nice thing is that it wasn't done with hands held out for tips - again, we never felt under any obligation to tip - the service is genuine and it is obvious the staff have the behaviour and attitude totally bang on.

There were a couple of things that we felt could be improved upon - the all inclusive is rather restrictive in terms of being able to obtain food and drink. For example, you can only have a glass of wine with your food. As we were not big beer or spirits fans, we were left alittle disappointed not to be able to enjoy a glass in the bar in the evenings. We also missed lunch by a couple of minutes and found we were unable to have anything to eat until the evening buffets opened.

The dining experience was a real eye opener. Our European friends pile the food on their plates like they have never seen it before and its their last meal. Huge amounts was wasted and even thrown on the floor by them if they didn't like it. It annoyed us to see how they treated the staff, rarely using any manners. The food choices was mostly very enjoyable. For us, breakfast was the best meal of the day; the banana loaf is to die for and I am missing it desperately. If the manager Mr Sherwood does read this, please, please send me the recipie!!

We would most certainly return to the Hilton and are seriously considering re-booking for 2 weeks next year as we came home relaxed, refreshed and feeling like we had a great time which is what holidays are all about. We set out for a week of relaxation and that is exactly what we got.

Room Tip: Block D in the Nelson Village is close to all amenities!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank fletchie
ChrisSherman, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, 25 July 2011
Once again I am so proud to receive your positive and fun review. Each week I now meet with all my team members that have been mentioned in positive reviews including TripAdvisor, Guest Forms and our Hilton Satisfaction System. I enjoyed reading your review and thank you for taking the time to express in detail your holiday with us. As requested here is: -

"The Banana Loaf" Recipie: -

Cake mold
Butter paper
Bowl

Preparing:-
Mix the banana with sugar on slow speed
Add oil to the mixture
Mix the flour & baking powder in a separate bowl
Mix the egg & vanilla
Add all ingredients to the mixer and whisk it
Brush the cake mold with oil and but the butter paper on bottom
Pour the mixture in the mold
Cook it in oven for 40 munities on 160°
Garnish the cake with sugar powder and enjoy

We are all looking forward to your return very soon, to relax and enjoy our care and attention that we offer all our guest's.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

Myself, my wife and my daughter spent a week in the Nelson Village on an all inclusive basis. The rooms were large and airy, right in front of lovely gardens and then straight after that was the beach. The sea is warm and full of the most beautiful fish within about 3 meters from the shore, no snorkel needed. The food was great and even if everything is not to your taste you can always find something you really like as there is so much choice. We dined at both of the restaurants included in the all inclusive and both of these were really nice, we especially liked the Egyptian one. There is a real mix of people that come to the resort English, Dutch, Ukraine, Russian, Palestinian, Egyptian and the list goes on giving the place a real cosmopolitan feel. The pools are great one sea water and the other fresh. The pool attendants will go out of their way to make sure they find you a spot even if it means removing someone's towel who hasn't used their lounger all morning but want to reserve the spot they have no intention of using which makes sense I think we will all agree. Both are just the right temperature to keep you cool from the heat but really comfortable to stay in. I can't recommend this place enough but I have left what really makes this holiday so special till last.......THE STAFF! How they can teach English customer service people a thing or two! You get such a warm and friendly feeling from the staff that goes beyond just doing a job, it is genuine and truly believable. My daughter, who is three, was treated like a princess. Everywhere she went everyone remembered her name and were so nice to her especially the ice cream man who to her delight fed her ice cream all day. For kids it is a very special place were they are treated with such kindness and warmth. I just want to say thank you so much to all the staff at the Hilton you are a tribute to your country and I think its obvious to say that yes we will be back and will recommend this hotel to all our friends and family.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
ChrisSherman, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, 28 July 2011
Please allow me to thank you for your kind and positive review, your headline of “LOVE EGYPT, LOVE EGYPTIANS & LOVE HILTON TABA!!!!” is so good the see.

As I have mentioned in other reviews, I will speak to my team and thank them for looking after you all. We all hope you will be back with us as soon as you can, when we will ensure you have another great time here at Hilton Taba & Nelson Village.

Chris
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

Myself and my boyfriend stayed at Hilton Taba for a week in July. We can't give enough praise for the hotel and the staff. Felt extremely welcome an very well looked after. The food was perfect, so much choice for every meal. We spent most of our days by the beach or pool. The staff at pirates bar and the sea water pool were all great and couldn't do enough to help. Had so much fun in the Rainbow bar in the evenings, Sam in the animation team did such a good job, we have made a good friend in him. Mo and Sherif at the bar were fantastic, they had a lot of time for us and we had so much fun. Our room (827) was made up perfectly every day with a different towel design on our beds each time.
We were sad to leave and would definitely return to stay at Hilton Taba as soon as we can.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank lt301089
ChrisSherman, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, 21 July 2011
Thank you for completing a fair and kind Trip Advisor Review on your recent visit to our Hotel.

Great to see you relaxed and enjoyed your holiday. I will pass all your thanks onto all the Team members who will appreciate it so much.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you again very soon to our lovely resort.

Regards,

uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

having traveled europe carribean etc i thought i would give egypt ago, i chose the hilton taba as travelled with my daughter paris aged 14 and thought the location and hotel would suit our needs. many people have written about location food etc which was excellent but my lasting impression will be the staff , from rainbow bar to nelsons to the restaurants every member of staff catered for our needs with a smile and respect and we made good friends with many of the staff. but have to mention messi and sam from animation they treated paris like a little sis as did mohamid rainbow bar . had the privilage to talk to mr sherman and his secretary and Mr Sherman be proud of your staff you will not find better thankyou till the next time

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
I am so please to read your kind review. I have today had a special meeting with the team members that you mentioned to thank them. It was a pleasure to meet you and your daughter while you were here, I am very prour of all my staff and we will all continue to ensure that all our guests have a great holiday with us.

We are all looking forward to your return very soon.

Chris Sherman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taba
Sol Taba Red Sea
#9 of 63 in Eilat
Movenpick Resort Taba Hotel
Sofitel Taba Heights
Strand Beach and Golf  Resort Taba Heights

Been to Taba Hotel and Nelson Village? Share your experiences!