“STUNNING HOTEL BUT NOT IDEAL AREA”

Taba Hotel and Nelson Village
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Taba
London, United Kingdom
“STUNNING HOTEL BUT NOT IDEAL AREA”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

This hotel is situated on the Eilat and Egypt border.

This hotel has a casino and good clean facilities and a nice beach.
When we checked in they started bargaining in the price and very unofficial system at the hotel
Staying near the pool and relaxing I was approached by a horrible man asking me to take a massage he wasn't too happy when i told him I didn't need any.

We went for facial treatments and they changed the price once we had finished but it was worth it as the treatments were good and the prices where cheap over all just beware of the honesty of the people there.

Over its ok but its Egypt so be careful we where scared to step out of the hotel in the evening as you don't know what is around the corner.

Room Tip: watch otu for the dishonesty of the people there
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sam A
ChrisSherman, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
many thanks for your trip advisor review. Your comments are really appreciated.
Sorry that you had a bad experience with the spa sales team however I handed the issue to their manager and he already took an action with his team to avoid happening again, and I like to assure that Taba is very safe place to enjoy and relax.
We are all looking forward to welcoming you back again as you promised to our lovely resort.
Chris Sherman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

Very good hotel to relax or a family trip even for a honey moon .food and beverage are excellent , rooms very clean a lot of thanks to the house keeping department .. the pirate and rainbow bar are good places to have 3 tequilla shots 'imported' . Alcoholics Coktails are brilliant special thanks to the guys upon the bar Mr.sherif and Mr.Ahmed Mr. Emad excellent job guys you made my day . The beach is a good place to relax or having a sunbathe even snorkling and diving was great .. massage center is such a brilliant place .Reception guys and concierge (bellboy) was helpfeul and they were cheerfully and smiley folks . I felt home . Breakfasts was great especially that plate of omelette and the tea from omMubarak 'the newbie women' ... special thanks to the night manager and THE EXECUTIVE SECRETARY MISS KERMAN . House keeping on the beach and swimming pool was perfect and clean enough to swim . The weather was great ..

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Many thanks for your detailed reply on Trip Advisor. I have passed your comments onto all the relevant team members.
Great to hear you had an enjoyable holiday. It is always interesting to hear guests’ comments.
We are all looking forward to welcoming you back again soon to our lovely resort.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

we arrived on 6 October. we got a room overlooking the casino...not the sea...
went to the casino and my wife was not allowed to bring her bag in.
hit one jackpot of $ 800 ...spent only $ 50 so lucky me
the prices at the shops are not marked in the shopping centre they ask any price they want...
the hotel mostly empty...nice beach for myself
staying near the pool and relaxing I was approached by a horrible man asking me to take a massage.... start telling me things and I was not interested as he wanted $50 and I told him that I do not want but he started shouting to me like crazy:
'are you listening to me?' a few times with a very aggressive body language and left cursing me in Arabic IN A LOUD VOICE ... anyway good that he did not stab me or something else with al these security alerts not to go to EGYPT
breakfast was average, could be better, nothing like hot meat only 2 types of salami looking very dangerous to me
checking out I asked to leave the luggage with them for one hour to do some shopping and they left them in the lobby near a window.
when my wife wanted to take them with us the staff from the reception started shouting to my wife in loud voice to leave the luggage there leaving her in tears

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mitzi123466789
Yasser K, Director of Operations at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Dear Customer,

Hilton Taba has a genuine sense of ownership towards guest satisfaction, and it is always our intention to make it happen where comfort and piece of mind are of a concern. I want to apologize for the way you have been approached, and please rest assured that on behalf of the HOtel management, I will personally refer to the people in concern and shall implement all necessary measures to ensure our promise to make the guest feels "valued, respected and cared for" is everyone's duty whenever, and wherever a service is delivered.

Please contact me personally on e-mail yasser.kamel@hilton.com for your future stay, and I will personally ensure you experience the true spirit of service Hilton Taba offers to its customers.

I remain for any further assistance.

Sincerely yours

Yasser Kamel
Director of Operations
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

The Hilton Taba is in an interesting location and I was a bit dubious about travelling to Egypt at this time, with all the troubles. However I am glad that I visited this Hotel, the staff are very friendly and really do look after you, the choice of restaurants and food was very good, the staff in the restaurants were all very helpful, staff in the bars were also very helpful and friendly. I hope that the troubles in Egypt have settled down by the next time is visit.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Andrew B
Great to hear you had an enjoyable holiday. It is always interesting to hear guests’ comments especially when it is their first visit to Egypt. It is a lovely country and I have a feeling more and more people will visit in the future years as it is so quiet here as we are away from Cairo by 500km.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

Spent a week here with friends, yes it's very quiet at the moment due to the troubles in Egypt , however there is no trouble here at all. The staff are amazing, helpful & extremely grateful for your custom, they bend over backwards to make your stay memorable. The General Manager is a very polite and happy man by the name of Chris, & where else would you get the GM (on his day off ) come to the beach & take you snorkelling without you asking him too !!! Food was plentiful, with plenty of variety and taste.
On arrival our check in was quick and efficient and to our surprise we were upgraded to the Nelson Village with compliments of the Hilton, our room had stunning views across the beach , the gardens and surrounding areas are clean, and kept immaculate. Ahmed Reda was always happy and ready with your drinks at the Beach Bar, always cracking a joke or too, same goes for the boys in the main bar, they were always ready to serve, I do feel sorry for the staff, as the resort s quiet they are obviously short of clients to attend to , yet, never did they appear bored, or sour faced.
Hats off to you and your staff Mr Sherman, a very well run hotel under such hard times.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paul-Magda

We really appreciate your positive notes related to various type of service provided to you during your stay. It is a lovely country and I have a feeling more and more people will visit in the future years.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Oh dear where do I start.
Let me break this down item by item. This is not a 5* Hotel and by the worst hotel I have stayed in Egypt and I have been to many of them. I can even rate a YMCA bunk house as being cleaner than this hotel
1. Check in
We arrived at the hotel just before 10pm; the initial name was in my wife’s maiden name however she was classified as a Mr rather than a Miss. This was booked in her name as we had recently got married and she has not had the chance to change her passport. We changed the booking title on the form, but the reception did not change the name on the database as several times I was called by the wrong name.
From the initial check in we were given the opportunity of upgrading the room to either a Sea View or to the Nelsons Apartments. One an extra $25 per day, or the other an extra $35 per day. The standard room we were shown was right behind the casino sign. After seeing the sea view I thought this would be nice for my wife as it was our first trip away as a married couple. Oh why did I ever change this!! Especially as the hotel was barely half full. I was able to see a guest list within the hotel so I could see the numbers staying there.
We were also told that the food was still being served, no it was not as they were packing the serving trollies and tables away. I had to request room service to provide us some food, which was a selection of 2 cold meats and a couple of rolls. In addition, there was no water in the room, again which I had to request.
I had to do the complaining as when my wife wanted to express her dissatisfaction they ignored her. I appreciate that this is a Muslim country, but the Hilton Group is American and since when were women ignored?
One point is that why was a free upgrade not given as standard based on the low occupancy of the hotel? It does not cost any more to clean a room, but gives the customer a better experience.
2. Room
We did upgrade the room to a sea view. This was not a pleasant experience.
The room was tired and imagine to my surprise a toe nail clipping next to the small table. I decided to see how long it took for the room to be cleaned properly. Guess what, that clipping was still there when we checked out!!!!
The lock on the safe failed; the door limiter screws came out from the door. After complaining, this was allegedly fixed but one evening I closed the door and it popped off.
The fire exit sign fixed to the door fell off. This was the last straw. As my complaint to the General Manager (see below) fell on deaf ears. I went down to reception on Thursday morning and requested to meet with the front of house manager he was not there so I met with the night manager. He was the only manager to understand our concerns and actually took notes of my meeting. I wanted a refund on the upgrade that I paid, however he was reluctant to do this but, I was advised that I could have a further free upgrade to the Nelson Village. This meant packing and repacking, in our minds not adequate compensation for the suffering we went through. In the end the night manager did give me a refund but what rigmarole when you are trying to relax
3.Food
This area was poor; the food selection was worse than any other hotel I have stayed at. Consider this: - A 5* hotel serving rehydrated potato flakes as proper mash!!!!
The evening meals were bland, it is nothing to write home about, apart from the lady who made fresh local bread each evening and the Tex-Mex
As I have a severe allergy to seafood, I was extremely disappointed about the very poor information about what the dishes were and could have easily gone into analphylaltic shock.
4. General Manager
We were invited to a General Manager Meet and greet on a Wednesday evening. The General Manager introduced himself and we explained our concerns and the problems that we had experienced on the first day.
The GM Chris Sherman said that this would all be rectified and will be dealt with. The front of house manager was also present, was made aware of our issues, and however nothing was done. With respect to the wrong name on our booking he blamed the travel agency. Funny as our flight tickets were correct, the Holiday Rep had the right names. From this all I can presume is that this Manager does not care about the paying guests and just wants good stats. It was his lack of concern about our experience that I will never book another holiday with the Hilton Group.
One evening a group of us were sitting in the bar area when the GM came over and said ‘this is the trouble makers!’ and friend said was not here trouble here. The GM then went on to ask where another one of the guests, he had gone to the casino. The GM said I hope he loses $10,000!!!! Is this really appropriate for someone in his position? Surely a response along the lines of, I hope lady luck is with him. Better still, if he hasn’t got anything nice to say, then don’t say anything at all. I did not expect a put down from someone in a senior management position.
5.Beach
This was probably the best part of the holiday. If you do decide to travel to this hotel, I would suggest wearing water shoes when entering the water.
A) The shore line is pebbly and can cause cuts as the skin softens.
B) I spotted a scorpion fish on the pebbles – these are poisonous.
Despite the numpties who thought it is great to stand on top of a pinnacle and destroy the coral, the beach was cleaned of rubbish, the sand swept daily and Faizal was fantastic by laying out towels and even placing flowers next to the sun bed of my wife as well as the great friends that we met. I could not fault his attention to detail.
6.Health Spa
My wife experienced a massage at the spa and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Other people who went to the spa came away absolutely buzzing. Note – agree on a price before hand but make sure the currency is also agreed be it sterling, Egyptian pounds, euro’s or US$
7. Bars
As being all inclusive we were aware of the local drinks policy, but we could not understand the hotel policy. Small plastic cups used in the pool and beach bars, smaller than my office vending machine. This leads to more wastage both litter and drink wastage especially as any wind would blow the cups away.
The cokes were from warm bottles and therefore warm drinks.
The cocktails in the bars were good but why in one bar were the time 7pm to 10pm and then the main bar up to 11pm. anything outside of the times we were told that we would have to pay for the drinks. I have never been to an all inclusive hotel where this is common practice.
8. Check Out
There is no place to safely store your luggage; we were told that our bags would be taken down to the security lodge. They were not; I found them tucked around the corner. Not very safe and secure for a 5* hotel and which is right on the border with Israel.
9. Entertainment
The Animation team Abby, Hasheem, Mo and Sophie, were extremely helpful, bubbly and friendly. However despite the team chatting with us during the day and pushing the events, the animation manager was absent, until the end of the stay and if we asked for anything during the evening it was pushed back by the manager.

Overall
My wife and I meet some absolutely fantastic couples at the hotel and they made our holiday.
We feel that the hotel has failed in providing us a holiday which we would have expected from the Hilton Group.
I consider that the Senior Management need to go onto the shop floor and see what the problems are and not treat customer complaints with a lax attitude.
We will never be booking with the Hilton group ever again.

By the way I do not want a standard response from someone reputing to be the General Manager to this report as this is being taken further.

Room Tip: Tip - Do not book this hotel, stay in another hotel in Taba
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Paul P
Yasser K, Director of Operations at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear valuable guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Taba, and I sincerely appreciate your comments regarding your stay with us.

We always welcome the guests' comments and strive to achieve the highest possible levels of service quality, so please rest assured that the customer safety and welfare are of paramount importance to us.

I am sorry to read that you had an unpleasant experience in our Hotel, and I have thoroughly read your comments regarding your stay.

As for the room upgrade, I would like to confirm that a selling strategy is implemented where we balance between the guest satisfaction and hotel revenues and I trust that the night manager has showed an exceptional gesture with the refund of the supplement you have paid.

Guest rooms are being attended regularly and on daily basis, and when I check our records I do not see that any concerns were reported to a member of the management or the floors supervisors; however your concerns are taken seriously and will be investigated further to ensure rectifiable actions are implemented as appropriate and where needed.

We also serve the meals in the open buffet, with variable themed nights and as an added value to the all-inclusive the guests may enjoy a set menu dinner with unlimited access to Nelson restaurant. We cater for different nationalities and endeavour to balance in taste and varieties.

A safe luggage store is available, with 24 hours attended service and also the x-ray area is a safe place being attended by the hotel security and the police of tourism in addition to a 24 hours CCTV system.

The hotel management and team members set high considerations of respect and value to all our guests equally and it is our intention to create a hassle free services and spare time and efforts to ensure the stay is as much pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Once again thank you, and please accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience that might have caused you during your stay. For any future reference, please contact me personally on e-mail Yasser.kamel@hilton.com

Yours sincerely,

YASSER KAMEL I Director of Operations
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Staff were soo helpful, and keen and willing to ensure our stay was as relaxing and enjoyable as it possibly could be. Especially Ahmed in Nelson's, Yasser, Ahmed and Akram from the bars too. The room was cleaned every day to an exceptional standard by Ali and we were welcomed everyday by very clever and lovely towel art. (Lovely little touch!) There was a slight problem with another guest (Mr David and his entourage), but the staff and management dealt with this in a professional and efficient manor, and as a result, our holiday was not affected! The reefs just off the beach are beautiful and bustling with marine wildlife! Amazing for diving and snorkelling. If anyone stays here please be sure to eat in Casa Taba, the food is just amazing, especially the steak and the shrimp. Great hotel, great staff, great scenery, all made a great holiday! Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank R08HOL
Many thanks for your report on Trip Advisor and I have passed your comments onto the Team Members today (thank you). It is amazing what they can do with the towels in the bedrooms ?
Glad to see that you had a good experience in our Italian and sea food Casa Taba restaurant which you can enjoy 20% discount on food n drinks.
Glad to see you relaxed during your stay and we look forward in welcoming you back.
Warm Regards,
Chris Sherman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taba
Sol Taba Red Sea
#9 of 63 in Eilat
Movenpick Resort Taba Hotel
Sofitel Taba Heights
Strand Beach and Golf  Resort Taba Heights

Been to Taba Hotel and Nelson Village? Share your experiences!