“So relaxing”

Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Taba
Leicestershire
“So relaxing”
Reviewed 18 June 2009

I found the whole experience fantastic. The staff could not do enough for you. The animation team were the very best and made the holiday not just for us but other people we met over the two weeks - keep it up!!! We will be back

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
MartinRogers, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, 23 June 2009
Thak you for completing a TA Review. Great to hear that you had a good holiday.

There are a total of 450 staff working at the Hotel and they will appreciate your comments

regards, Martin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Lancs
Reviewed 15 June 2009

We recently returned from a weeks holiday at the Hilton.It was our forth visit to this area in 4/5 star hotels.This was by far the best.
Martin and his staff could not do enough for the guests.Everywhere was spotlessly clean including the toilets near the beach.The food was good and varied ,no evidence of food having been reheated from the day before.The hotel was only 50% full until the Israeli bank holiday.We did have a upset stomach , which we also had on previous visits to Egypt. Reasons unkown .Unlimited bottled water in the room, alchol handwash introduced during our visit at all the dining areas but unfortunately not all guests have the same hygiene standards .

Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Moiralancs
MartinRogers, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, 16 June 2009
Many thanks for your TA review and your kind review. It was great to hear you had an enjoyable holiday. Many thangs have changed at the Hotel over the past 8 month, but we also know we still have many things to do. regards Martin
lancaster
Reviewed 11 June 2009

"Its excellent" Just rtnd back from this hotel on Monday. The hotel is lovely, friendly staff, good food & great location. The only gripes are: if you are single females, the restaurant staff tend to serve you quicker & clear your tables quicker than if you are single males travelling, this was observed a few times during the week stay. Also it would be recommended if there was staff in the hotel to serve drinks & waiters to clear the tables, this would speed up things and be more organised & there is plenty of staff in the main restaurant. The only other gripe is lack of toilets in the complex as a whole, depends on where you are you can have a fair way to walk & go!!!

Apart from that this hotel is briliiant, the entertainment staff do try & involve everyone which is good. I would have no hesitation in recommending this to my customers & would definately return back. As people name drop on here my 2 names are Hany & Noire, they are very friendly and Very pleasant . Go go go .. is my recommendation & have a room with balcony. Just enjoy

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your TA review and we appreciate your comments.

Interesting comments about the outside toilets. Just walked the area to check:

Nelson Reception and Relaxation Centre
Nelson Restaurant
Marahaba Restaurant
Casa Taba Restaurant
Main Hotel Entrance

All have outside toilets outside. Which gives us a toliet approx every 40 metres. BUT.... it would help if we had additional signs. It is not until you mentioned this issue and I walked the area this morning that I noticed the signage was poor (many thanks for letting us know and we will add extra signs)

regards

Martin
Shropshire
Reviewed 10 June 2009

We had a wonderful week at The Hilton Resort Taba despite being hit with the dreaded Pharoah's Revenge!! The staff are brilliant and nothing is too much trouble for them. We especially enjoyed eating in Nelson Village restaurant, where the Manager "Yasser "was excellent. Equally "Walid" attended to our every need when we ate in the main dining room. We only ate in the main dining room twice and it wasn't a pleasant experience and would definately recommend that you book to eat in either Nelson Village or Merhaba. My only complaint with this was that the menu didn't change, so it could get bit repetitive. We did have an issue to raise with management and all I can say is that it was dealt in a courteous and professional manner. I believe that the best assett available to the Hilton at Taba is "Ehab" (asst food and bev manager). He is the most delightful young man, with an incredibly nice way with him. I noticed that he was highly respected by other staff members within the hotel and he was a pleasure to deal with. We enjoyed lazy days on the beach, looked after by "Tarek" and "Mohamed" and often didn't even need to leave our sunbeds to refil our drinks. Although we didn't get involved with the entertainment within the hotel, we found both Mojo and Sam (animation team) brilliant and spent many an hour chatting to them.
One tip that I would say is, if planning a trip to the Hilton, check to make sure that it isn't Israeli bank holiday weekend, before you go. The hotel went from being about 50% full to 100% occupancy, and it really wasn't a nice place to be. There are clearly staffing issues at these times, an area which I have been reassured by the manager, will be closely monitored in the future?
Would we return to the Hilton at Taba? Yes probably, but after experiencing dreadful stomach upsets the day before we returned home and 5 days after, I feel that it would not be a place I would be happy to take the children to. We are regular travellers to Turkey and both my husband and I have never experienced such a debilitating stomach upset in our lives.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gillytoomanykids
MartinRogers, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, 11 June 2009
Many thanks for completing a Trip Advisor Review. Shavuot weekend is alway busy for the Hotel and is similar to a May Bank Holiday weekend in the UK. I can confirm that the menus available in Marhaba and Nelson are set menus with a choice of starters, mains and desserts. I have passed your kind comments onto the Team Members that you have mentioned. regards Martin
London
Reviewed 7 June 2009

The hotel is as you would expect from a Hilton (room wise) -more than adequate. I was disappointed by the rather limited "all inclusive" - and some of the rather 'distracting rules eg wine with dinner not at the bar, having to queue at a set hour to book restaurants. etc etc. However in fairness the manager makes himself very available and listens to the complaints. His explainations are all reasonable and he appears to have made a real effort in improving the situation. Basically if you want a proper "all inclusive" dont go to Egypt...
The dive centre is well run and is flexible enough to work around the various requests.
The Egyptian staff try very hard and are friendy ( occasionally too friendly with my teenage daughters!).
Internet access was priced to stop anybody ever using it for more than a few minutes!
We all suffered from upset stomachs ( which I often have whilst visiting Egypt) and I would advise against taking young children there for that reason.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank dkhatton
MartinRogers, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, 10 June 2009
Thank for you completing a Trip Advisor Review. The Hotel operates on an All Inclusive Package from 11am to 11pm with all local alcohol available. Wine is only served during meal times. The main restaurant is operated as a buffet service and no reservation is required for this restaurant at any session (breakfast, lunch and dinner). However, the Nelson and Marhaba restaurants operate on a reservation system for evening meals, which enables us to offer table service through the meal and improves the quality of service to the guests. The reservation table is open daily at 1pm for guests to make these reservations. regards Martin
UK
Reviewed 6 June 2009

Thoroughly enjoyed our recent stay at the Hilton and impressed by the standard of care. I travelled with my young son who now wants to cancel all our other booked holidays this year and return to Taba instead! Just a case of me finding the money...

We stayed in Nelson's Village which was worth the upgrade for the convienience of the main beach alone. The room was clean, the beds comfortable and we had plenty of storage space (for the far too many clothes we took!). The only annoyance was the unwanted mini-bar that kept humming all night...unplug it! There's a kettle there with the usual sachets of nescafe, tea bags and sugar but no milk (we took some powdered milk from home). The telly has an english news channel and cartoon network, you can request an iron & board from reception and there's the safe as well.

The main Palm Court restaurant was always welcoming and had a large range of foods to choose from. However make sure you don't sit waiting for coffee, drinks or cutlery for long, as these requests do sometimes need a gentle reminder. All staff we encountered there were very pleasant and always pleased to see you. We ate there at breakfast and dinner and were always satisfied with the food.

Nelson's Village restaurant was our choice at lunchtimes where you could have simple food such as fries, pizza or select your own ingredients for a pasta dish, al fresco. I know it's not some peoples idea of Egyptian cuisine but I went to Taba for the sun, snorkelling and location, not the food. The staff here were very prompt and friendly.

We met various brits over the week, all of whom were really friendly and a great bunch of guys. It was nice to chat about our experiences and activities and even meet up for lunch/evening entertainment on occasions. We stayed during the infamous "health warning" week and whilst I don't wish to discredit other people's experiences, we had no tummy problems of significance at all.

From day one we drank lots of water, took frequent refuge in the shade and ate mostly hot food in moderation, we avoided cold meats, cheeses and almost all salads. Perhaps this was a little over cautious as plenty of guests had plates piled high with the stuff, all of which I would definately be making the most of, if in the UK. However I didn't feel it worth the risk whilst there, shame. I would only have a couple of drinks in the evening and we had the air con off over night (cooled the room down for a couple of hours before bed). But we had ice all week, used the pool lots, used the shower daily and had local spirits and cocktails, all without problems.

I did speak with probably 7 or 8 ill guests whose symptoms ranged from mild to acute. Some had been very, very careful with diet, ice, no alcohol etc. much more so than us, yet they were still ill? One or two other guests seemed unaware of the inefectiveness of Immodium etc. in certain circumstances and tried to brave it out. It has been said endless times on here that Antinol 'can' work very quickly so be prepared to try some at the first sign or visit the doctor soon. Alternatively, sit in your room for three days! Also bear in mind that your fellow guests may not be aware of this medicine...not everyone reads T/A.

One plate of food I didn't touch was the one left in the room for our late arrival. Although much appreciated, sweaty cheese, meat and salad was not something I was going to risk eating in the first 5 minutes! I should add that the hotel provide this as a free late arrival gesture, it's not an entitlement. You will be hungry when you arrive so unless the restaurant's open, maybe take some packet soup (+ water) or other easily made snacks. It's only to get you through till breakfast.

The grounds were very tidy and colourful, always being tended to. The beach was well looked after and quite safe, there were always loungers available, not sure they would be in high season though. There is a very sandy beach at Nelson's, the one in front of the hotel is quite small. You can walk into the sea without shoes but will look a little like a clumsy ballerina.

The snorkelling was fun with some good spots along the beach, there's a local reef map at the dive centre worth taking a look at. Best places seemed to be in line with the Movenpick fence and also the dive centre. We tried a 1st scuba dive there (in tandem with an instructor) which was well worth it at £40 (6m deep) plus various trips were available. Again, the staff here were friendly and professional. One word of caution when snorkelling at dusk is that the Lion fish come out to hunt...beware!

The shopping centre was like a ghost town which made me feel like I'd be pressured to buy if I looked. This couldn't be further from the truth though, as the shopkeepers were very friendly and didn't mind if you walked away, so go and take a look inside! The hotel was a little expensive for gifts, cigs and bottled water but there is a good tax free shop right at the far end of the shopping centre, or you can go to the tax free shop just inside the border (without going into Israel) but take your passport. A bottle of water here was about 65p, in the hotel it was at least £1.65.

The hotel was only about 60% capacity and only once did we encounter someone pushing in, you can either get worked up about it or ignore it! Most guests were Israeli, then Russians/E. Europeans followed by a small number of Brits. The welcome cocktail party hosted by the manager and key staff was very pleasant and also proved to be a handy way to make friendships with fellow brits.

Overall, I was very pleased with the hotel and impressed by the attitude of the staff, often thinking how much the UK service industry could learn from their genuine dedication to service. We made some good friends and loved the guaranteed great weather. We took a couple of trips out but really didn't need to, plenty of fun and relaxation on site. It was a bit of a shame others were ill and I would have liked to be a bit braver with food etc. but it worked for us.

As for kids, it's obviously not Disneyland but if yours are anything like my 11 yr old, they are perfectly happy just playing in sand. The pool & beach games, snorkelling, playgrounds and even ping pong! kept him more than happy. The Dolphin Reef between Taba and Eillat was great, very relaxing and only about $18 for 2 people I think (taxi was $5 each way). However departure tax at Israel was extortionate at $52 for 2 people followed by Egyptian 'you've been to Israel' tax at LE75 each.

I wouldn't hesitate in recomending Taba Hilton and look forward to our soonest return.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank Sandy123Uk
Many thanks for your Trip Advisor Review, your comments are appreciated. I am sure that many future guests will appreciate your detailed review. We opened the Nelson lunch on requests we recieved at the Managers Cocktails party - the main request was that guests wanted somewhere to eat by the beach (where they can still sit in swim wear and relax) - and guess which nationality asked for 'chips, pizza, burger etc ? regards Martin
Peterborough
Reviewed 2 June 2009

I booked our R & R week 6 weeks prior to departure through http://www.eshores.co.uk Travel Consultants - Nadine was extremely professional and most efficient - I told her I would like to stay at Taba Hilton following reviews on TA and equally as important, knowing that the hotel had an English Manager who was taking on board his guests reviews, good or bad and acting on them in a businesslike manner. Most creditable.

Nadine explained on arrival at Taba Airport we would be met by a Longwoods Rep. Indeed we were, and a very polite, knowledgeable Rep explained about the security procedures in place at the airport - ie until the arrivals hall of the airport is clear of passengers, no one can leave for their hotels as the coaches have to be escorted off the airport grounds.

On arrival at the hotel you are taken to a security area where the cases are scanned then left to be brought to your room.

At reception we were welcomed by Amr - who warmly greeted us with a smile and a welcome drink and the offer of an upgrade to Nelson Village. We had booked a room with a sea view and balcony in the main hotel but the having read other reviews about the peace & tranquility of Nelson we gratefully accepted. Our room was on the 2nd floor and was bathed in gorgeous sunshine from sun rise until it set behind the mountain around 7pm.

We met Martin (Manager) on one of his regular strolls around the hotel grounds - he was keen to investigate how we had been missed off the invitation list to attend his weekly cocktail meeting to prevent a recurrence with future invitations. Despite our meeting with him being totally unplanned, he was more than happy to stand and chat and share with us how he wants to develop the hotel.

One change he had made was to introduce a dress code for dinner - in priniciple my husband and I would support this. However, we were caught out because having travelled to many hot countries, tailored gents shorts such as those allowed on golf courses were all that my husband had packed for this hot break but they were not allowed in the Restaurants. However, 3/4 length trousers were, which in my opinion do not compare in smartness. Fortunately he had travelled in jeans which were allowed.

He also mentioned the beach, which as some reviewers have mentioned is a little disappointing in terms of stones. Apparently around spring time the tides cause waves which in turn drag the sand back into the sea - once these tides have subsided a new beach will be delivered - in the meantime I would definately recommend you get yourselves some beach shoes. But once in the sea it is truly amazing - some people said they saw more fish on the house reef between Hilton and Movenpick than they had seen on the snorkelling trip.

Whilst we were there new sunbeds were delivered to the beach .There are plenty of them, and I appreciate the hotel was only 60% full when we were there so the beach was far from busy with plenty of choice as to where to set up 'camp'

Regarding meals, lunchtimes we went to Nelson - superb chef and brilliant staff - must give mention to Ahmed his wife Bashna (sorry if spelt wrong) Ibrahim and Magred (sadly he left to join his fathers business in Cairo) - Wonderful wonderful people who genuinely embraced us so warmly and Magred insisted we joined him at his leaving party. Thank you.

Another ingenious thing they did was after sunset you would hear this incredible noise as this guy walked through the gardens armed with a huge smoke gun - as a result of this treatment I never got one mosquito bite - brilliant.

Many of the other reviews have mentioned the beautifully tended gardens, the pool area etc so I won't reiterate on those but if you are looking for guaranteed sunshine, warm warm nights, a team of hardworking staff who go out of their way to ensure you enjoy your holiday, then this hotel will suit your needs.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank judy_ian_9
Thank you for your TA Review. Sorry that you did not receive an invite to the Cocktails Party - hopefully we have now resolved this error. I have now received many emails asking me about the dress code. I hope the following helps:

Breakfast/Lunch in main restaurant: Shorts and Tee shirts are accepted (but please 'cover up' chests etc.

Dinner in main restaurant/ Marhaba and Nelson:

Men - 3/4 length shorts and no sleeveless shirts. (ie no football shorts)
Females - smart casual

jeans are acceptable in restaurants.

Other wise the restaurants are relaxed.

Hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

regards, Martin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taba
Taba Sands Hotel
Club In Eilat
#45 of 61 in Eilat
Movenpick Resort Taba
Sofitel Taba Heights

Been to Taba Hotel and Nelson Village? Share your experiences!