“We shall return”

Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Taba
Newton
“We shall return”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

My husband and I have just returned from Sofitel for the second time, where we had a very good relaxing holiday and were very very well looked after by a team of polite cheerful staff and a very visable general manager. We have read a review from Ken (the winger) did he miss the Mediteranean A La Carte Restaurant which had be it a limited choice of very well cooked and well presented food in very plesant surroundings. We also as returning guests received on arrival to our "requested room" a letter of thanks from the manager along with a plate of tasty pastries. We have visited other Red Sea resorts and agree Taba can be a little windy in March but the whole Sofitel Taba experience who care about a little wind which can in fact be a blessing as desert sun can be very hot even in March. We would and do recommend the Sofitel as a great winter sun hotel and shall return again along with numerous other guest we met there. Great locations, super rooms, lovely pools, plenty of good food choices, every facility and superb staff. Sorry our female Thomson rep in our opinion was hopeless .

Room Tip: We stayed in block 2 easy access to everything, pools beach, bars, restaurants and reception, recomm...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Faversham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

Really 1st class and great holiday. People very efficient and helpful. The care taken to make sure everything was perfect was 2nd to none. Highly recommended. We did not change our Egyptian Pounds back to sterling as we intend to visit Sofitel Taba Heights again.

Room Tip: Hotel nicely laid out with good access and we saw two wheel chair users at pool so easy access but i...
Havant, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

Me and my husband had a most amazing stay at this Hotel in the 2nd week of March,we could not find a single fault with it. It was clean, modern and bright. Every attention to detail had been taken care of. We were greeted on arrival with drinks. When we got to our room (block 3, room 3337) we could not believe how big and beautiful it was. It had 2 sofas, a queen size bed and a massive walk-in shower. Everyday our fridge was stocked with water, and was cleaned to an impeccable standard. Our room was on the 2nd floor at the end of the block, so we got to have amazing views of the sea and the lovely quiet pool below. The bed was really comfy and there was no noisy distirbances at night, so we slept extremely well.

The main buffet restaurant was very large and ran like a well oilled machine, with waiters taking drinks orders for you and cleaning your table of plates efficiently. The restaurant manager Rashid, was always on hand making sure you were being well looked after.All the waiters were very kind and friendly and love to chat and ask you how you are. The food was brilliant. I am a vegetarian and was amazed to find the best choice of food that I have ever had at any hotel. My husband, a bonfide carnivore, was equally pleased with choices of food for him. We could have a choice of many many hot and cold dishes, salads,breads, desserts. My husband mentioned to a member of staff Mohammed, who works in the restaurant and upstairs bar, that it was my birthday during the stay, which then mohammed kindly arranged a suprise birthday cake to be delivered to our room on my birthday! It was such a lovely gesture, and my husband said that Mohammed couldnt do enough for us. what a lovely man!

The swimming pools and beach were clean and quiet. we enjoyed relaxing in the sun as well as swimming, playing the giant chess board, swinning in the hammocks, playing swing ball, ping pong and participating in the many activities that they had to offer.

The beach bar was great, as it served up loads of yummy cocktails to drink whilst we sunned ourselves on the beach loungers. we got to know a lovely man called Nour who worked there and he always remembered our favourite drinks, and putting little heart shaped fruits on my glass for me. He even sang me happy birthday whch was very sweet!

We was very sad to leave the hotel, and wished we had booked 2 weeks, but we plan to go back in october and do all things that we didnt have time to do before. I cannot reccommend this hotel highly enough. It truly is the best hotel we have ever stayed at.

Room Tip: ask for block 3, as it is the newest and has bigger and better rooms.
2 Thank Ruth H
Seaford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

Although only 8 years old the whole place looks a little jaded, in need brightening up. I would expect a 5* hotel to not only have the requisite facilities but for them to be the best of their kind. That said, there is nothing really bad about the hotel, though I would not like to be there in high season. We went in February when occupancy was approx 60%. There were queues forming for the restaurant in the evening as a result of which the waiter service restaurant was being converted to buffet service. The pool surround could do with better shading, in summer you could fry!!
The staff are superb, always cheerful and helpful.
Unless you want to play golf or dive there is not a lot to do and the excursions were not inspiring. Taba Heights is a purpose built development in a remote location and it could be anywhere in the world, but if you want relaxing winter sun it is perfect

Room Tip: We paid for a room upgrade without knowing exactly what we were buying. Our room was huge, with a 7...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Just returned from my 3rd visit to the Sofitel and had another fabulous holiday!

Everything about this hotel is fabulous, the staff, rooms, food, surroundings! I was welcomed back to 'my second home' when checking in. On arrival to my room there was a letter from the manager welcoming me back and some lovely pastries, my last visit was in Nov 2010, I couldn't believe that so many of the staff remembered me and even my favourite drink and details of the friends on my last holiday, it was amazing!

The restaurant was brilliant, Rashid and his team work tirelessly to ensure all the guests are happy, special thanks to Genna for always finding us a table and to the many waiters who kept our wine glasses topped up on every visit, especially Omar, Elish and Mohammed! The selection of food is excellent, something to fit even the most fussiest of appetites!

The bar staff are also brilliant, we always found the service to be excellent in the pool and Sultan bar, Ramy and Mohammed have excellent memories!!

Great additions this time was that they served wine in the Sultan Bar not just in the restaurant. Coffee and Tea making facilities now in the rooms!

The animiation team were great, always having making us laugh with their banter, DJ Ali was brilliant, his many impressions were one of the highligts of the day!

Beach and Pool areas were always clean, never had a problem getting sunbeds!

All in all another fab holiday, would defintely recommend this hotel.

They really need to improve the Passport Control in Taba Airport - I forgot how tedious this was, takes over an hour to clear throug, with one man checking the passports of the whole plane!

Room Tip: Well worth paying extra for sea view room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank LindaD1965
Thames Ditton, Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

First and most lasting impression - the staff at the Sofitel were fantastically friendly and helpful. We met many couples who were return visitors and I think for the right people this is a fantastic resort.

For us it was our first time in Northern Sinai for winter sun and it didn't quite deliver what we were looking for. In late Feb / early March the weather is naturally a bit hit and miss. We arrived first week of March and were told the previous week had been freezing cold. For us it was very breezy which kept us from feeling too hot but also prevented us from noticing when we were getting sun burnt. For winter sun I guess that's what you're looking for to some degree, but you do need to be aware of the potential "hit and miss" of the weather and the risk of sunburn because you don't notice how hot it is.

We picked this location because it was quieter than Sharm - considerably further North up the Sinai coast - however as Scuba divers we had not anticipated just how cold the Red Sea is this far North at this time of year. Kitting up was painful. They recommended two 5mm wetsuits - which is more than we've had to wear anywhere else we've dived - and that much neoprene meant we wound up needing a total of 18kgs each in the salty red sea which felt very uncomfortable. Even then, when we got down to 20m it was starting to feel pretty chilly, so we decided not to dive for the rest of that trip which wasn't that bad as for us we were looking primarly for winter sun and relaxation and the diving would have been a bonus.

Northern Sinai as a tourist area is still establishing itself and although there were many excursions available from Taba Heights many of them needed 3 or more hours each way in transfers which we weren't prepared to do.

We did one excursion which was stargazing and was also supposed to include a "bedouin experience". We had expected a real bedouin encampment around an oasis in the desert where nomads lived as they had for many generations, but the reality is most of these tribes are now settled on the coasts and just put on a bit of a show for tourists. We were told they would try and sell us "hand crafted goods" but it was clear what they had were all the same souvenirs that they can probably buy for pennies and resell at a ridiculous markup - there was nothing that looked remotely hand-crafted.

If not for the stargazing we would have felt very disappointed with the excursion. It was a beautiful clear night with a full moon - so bright the moon cast our shadows almost like sunlight. But despite the moonlight we could see constellations incredibly clearly and the astronomer was able to give us great pointers on how to identify key "landmarks" in the sky. They had telescopes out which give a great view of the moon, Jupiter and Venus as well as constellations. Frankly I would have been happy just to do the stargazing as the bedouin experience was a waste of time.

Taba Heights is also a golf destination through the El Wakala golf resort hotel - but because you are basically in the desert it's not a proper golf course - they have grass for the teeing off areas, bits of fairway and the greens, but basically the rest is sand. If you are not at a really high standard for golf forget a nice relaxing round of golf - it will feel like a never-ending sand trap. Also this time of year (March) gets quite windy so not ideal unless your golf is up to scratch.

Back to the Sofitel - the hotel itself looked impressive, but had one flaw. The beautiful marble and tiled floors were dangerously slippery, and my wife slipped over twice, once in the turkish bath in the spa, once on the main stairs down to the restaurant. Both times she sustained serious bruises but fortunately no serious injury. This does appear to be a known issue at the hotel. They have open areas where birds get in and mess on floors, so they wash the floors down regularly. The Sofitel customer service rep was very apologetic and admitted she had noticed how slippery the floors could get, and committed to talk to the cleaning staff to see what can be done in future - for example just finding and washing affected areas rather than the whole floor.

Food and local alcoholic beverages were all-inclusive, the main all-inclusive restaurant was a buffet with a rotating menu through the week. There were always plenty of options and you can try a bit of everything, but it felt like we were picking rather than having a proper sit down meal. The salad buffet was always good and healthy, and some of the choices were particularly tasty, but it did feel like there were lots of "samey" choices each day and I think you would get bored over a two week break.

My wife and I wound up often resorting to the same routine for lunch and dinner - salad or soup starter, and something from the pasta bar (freshly cooked in front of you) supplemented with the best of the other options on the buffet.

To spice things up you can also mix in some a la carte restaurants at additional cost for variety. At the Sofitel itself there is the Asiatique restaurant which does Teppinyaki, Sushi/Sashimi/ Thai etc. For us as a couple this was £100 (1,000 LE) but £50 (500 LE) was one bottle of wine, so not unreasonable for the food which was our best meal of the week.

You can also eat for three nights a week at any of the other main Taba Heights hotel restaurants (Intercontinental, Marriott and Hyatt) with a similar deal - book in advance through the Sofitel reception and you get to dine at their a la carte restaurants with a free starter / dessert thrown in. So over a two week break you can get some variety, but at additional cost. We felt that the overall price for the all-inclusive at the Sofitel meant that this was still good value.

The "all-inclusive" alcohol was free-flowing and generous enough, with our only complaint being that you could only have wine served at your table during lunch / dinner. My wife and I tend to mainly drink wine and would have liked to have this available at the bars in the evenings as well.

One other point worth mentioning is that although we were told the hotel was less than 40% occupied the main buffet restaurant was occasionally really busy - at peak season with 80% or more occupancy I imagine it would be a bit manic at best.

Also, as at many of these resorts there is the same issue of people putting down towels first thing in the morning to reserve them and then barely showing up during the day. Again I suspect this would be more of an issue in the height of summer. For us it was fine as the area we liked the most was a castle in the middle of the swimming pools and generally there were always spaces for us. The main pool area backs right up to the beach which I think was also fantastic - you can either sit by the pool or the beach and dip in the sea or the heated pool at your leisure. Great views of the sea either way.

The beach itself was a bit disappointing as it is man-made - there are lots of rocks preventing you from walking in off the beach except at a few points along the beach. It's also quite shallow at the hotel - not suitable for swimming or snorkelling as there's not much sea life there. About 30m out the beach drops away completely to deeper water but when we were there, with the strong winds, I suspect it may be dangerous to swim in the stronger currents out there.

There weren't too many kids when we were there, but again we were there in the off season so in peak season I suspect it would be very noisy around the main pool area. There is a "quiet pool" with it's own bar which is unheated so I suspect would be a way to get away from the kids, but this is much smaller and on our visit I would say about 70% of the chairs always had towels on them to reserve them.

As I said, I think this is a great hotel ideal for winter sun and relaxation at the right time of year. For us as scuba divers I would say you need to come between April and November when the red sea is a bit warmer but avoid the main school holidays as I suspect it could get very busy.

1 Thank ken1969
Staffordshire, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Having just returned from Hotel SofitelTaba Heights my view is that it is definitely not 5 star accommodation. The bedrooms on the whole are good but the bathrooms are very drab and dark and need an update. The bar is very dull and drab as is the card/quiet room next to it. There are not enough communal areas with comfortable seating for guests to socialise. The food is good and the staff on the whole are very pleasant. This is my 5th time to Egypt and this is certainly the worst hotel I have stayed in.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends