“Peaceful and relaxing vacation...”

Sofitel Taba Heights
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Taba
Belgrade, Serbia
“Peaceful and relaxing vacation...”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Last May I've spent unforgettable vacation in Sofitel Taba Heights. Spa canter is amazing, rooms are clean, service is on the high level, food is beautiful. Highly recommend for one peaceful and relaxing vacation!!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Manchester UK
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Second visit here and didnt disappoint excellent room, decent food and exemplary service. Improvement since last year is that you can now get a glass of wine in the bar as part of the all inclusive. Only downside is the Sultan bar itself its dismal and gloomy and could do with a makeover especially the lighting but thats the only minor niggle.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed 3 April 2012

With my friend we crossed(spent) 7 formidable days! This hotel deserves its 5 stars: very beautiful spacious and very well decorated rooms(chambers) several spaces swimming pool for the persons who wish the peace and the others the animations sports leisure activities for all the beach(range) very close attention one cannot really swim but admire attractive fishes - so the staff of the hotel is adorable! He(it) is really at our disposal with an exemplary kindness! Thank you and bravo!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank GIRARD N
Hightown, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Me and my fiancée fancied a change from long haul this year and decided on Egypt. Tbh I wasn't over the moon at the thought but I thought, I'll give it a whirl.

From day one arriving there I felt relaxed.
Calm, fresh and surrounded by people that wanted what I wanted.
Time out. Time to just sit back and chill.

The food was great! Lots too choose from

Drinks were ok. You could pay for a nice bottle of wine if you wanted but I thought they were rather on the expensive side!

Rooms were spotless and cleaned everyday if need be.

The only thing I could of asked for is for someone to take my drink order and bring it onto the beach for me. But that's just me being fussy.

If you chose this hotel, you will love every minute!

• Stayed January 2012
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2012

This review is based on my summer holiday to the Sofitel 2011, i wrote the review but never got round to posting it...

The Sofitel Taba heights are a magnificent hotel in the small quiet resort of Taba Heights. Taba Heights resort is very peaceful, being made up of just five hotels, four 5 stars on the beach and one 4 star a bit further back on the hill. The entire resort is surrounded by the sea and by a beautiful mountain backdrop and seems completely isolated.

The rooms within the hotel are brilliantly designed and spacious, they are cleaned exceptionally well every single day. The bed wasn’t the most comfy that I have slept in but it wasn’t bad. You get two bottles of water in your mini bar each day and you get extra if you leave a tip. Two bottles is plenty, I didn’t think it would be enough but it was honestly ample. And there are fresh water machines dotted all over the hotel where they can easily be refilled anyway.

The staff were very friendly, they try to have a joke with you, and they are different to the typical staff of Sharm El Sheikh, who try to joke with so called “English phrases” that stopped being used decades ago such as “Cheap as chips”! I think there was only one time during my stay where I came across a moody member of staff. Overall they couldn’t do enough for you.

In the larger hotels there isn’t as much need to tip the staff as there are so many of them and the chances are that the next time you return to the bar, for example, it will be someone else either working there of serving you.

The pool area was beautifully designed once again, very big, and had a great atmosphere. There were plenty of sunbeds although a lot of people put their towels on the bed to save them the night before, which was annoying. One other thing that didn’t help with this was that the towels were available from seven in the morning.

There was an adult pool too for those who wanted peace and quiet, that was away from everything and it had its own bar too.

The pool bar area was great with lots of tables undercover outside and inside, that served a surprising variety of drinks, but you do need to ask for ice (which I find essential in that heat). One other issue with the bar is that almost all the drinks were served in a small paper cup, which were awkward to carry and obviously didn’t contain that much liquid. The bar also had areas where you could just get food, like a salad bar, ice cream (open 7 hours a day J), a hot food station that served something different every day, from burgers and hotdogs, to fajitas and lamb koftas, and a pizza corner which also served chips.

One issue I found here was that one of the barmen kept flirting with me every time I went in, and I’m a guy...

The main restaurant was well designed and roomy, there was something different each night along with a different theme, including things like Seafood, International, English (not the best English food I’ve tasted, and some I really don’t believe is English at all!), Oriental, Egyptian, Mediterranean and French. As with all the hotels in Egypt, the food can affect a holiday makers stomachs in a major way that can be quite uncomfortable in more severe cases. If you do visit Egypt and have stomach problems, any medicine you take from home doesn’t really work for some reason, the pharmacies do medication that works wonders, but can be quite expensive. (I didn’t have any problems staying at the Sofitel though)

When I was staying there though I did come across a piece of chicken that was given to me completely raw! However when we told the restaurant manager he could not stop apologising even as we were leaving half an hour later, and then brought me a huge pile of chicken. So big that everyone on the table couldn’t finish it.

The restaurant does the same thing every day for breakfast though, including a nice variety of fruit. We asked the manager if it was possible for some watermelon, (as it was served most evenings) he quickly brought over plenty and a few days later the restaurant served it every day from then on.

The entertainment in Egypt is very low key and consists of local acts. One night we had karaoke but there was only a few English songs sung, the others were French and mainly Arabic. (Which all sounded the same to me). Then there was the ‘spinning man’ who as the name suggests is someone who spins around for something like 20 minutes, now there is only a certain amount of times you can watch this before it becomes mind-numbing. Once.

And finally a belly dancer who is also only interesting for two songs, but after eight songs of doing the same thing becomes just as tedious.

There is a street festival/show in the ‘uptown’ area, located at the hotel Three corners El Wekala on the hill, which is far better, but is made up of belly dancing, some reasonable singers, and the same spinning man! (All in all I think I watched him about four or five times in two weeks). So the entertainment isn’t that good, but there is an amazing disco back at the hotel on some nights.

The guests from the five hotels are allowed to mix, you are allowed to look around the others if you wish and use some facilities such as the jetties, and they are The Sofitel, the Intercontinental hotel, The Marriott, The Hyatt and the Three Corners El Wekala and golf course.

In order to get to the ‘uptown’ area, where the street festival takes place, and there are some shops including clothes and a basic supermarket (extremely basic), you must catch a shuttle bus, which stop at the hotels every half an hour. Each bus stops at all four beach hotels before going to the Three corners and the uptown. They are packed out and it is literally a mad rush to get a seat. There are no doors on these busses, you just step on, so some people who cannot get to a seat in time are stuck standing on the steps.

Going back to the food, the hotel has an a la carte restaurant, L’ Asiatic, but the menu had about 5 choices of main course, none of which appealed so we didn’t eat there. Now the hotels all offer a ‘Dine Around’ option so you can book a table at other hotels a la carte restaurants, and if you do so you get a free starter or dessert. We went to the Thai restaurant which I personally really enjoyed. Most of these restaurants are located in the uptown area on the hill and not the hotel that says it is there a la carte restaurant, but not all of them, so you must get the bus. The real problem with these restaurants that I would like to warn everyone considering eating at them is that they advertise the menu in Egyptian pounds, the bill comes in Egyptian pounds, but they charge in US Dollars! So you may want to take cash depending on the exchange rate.

The snorkelling in Taba is nothing short of breathtaking, it beats places like Hurghada and Marsa Alam by far, but I’m afraid it doesn’t compare Sharm El Sheikh. And I’m not sure but to me it felt as if the sea was slightly colder, but still very warm. The beach was beautiful and had the perfect amount of sunbeds and wind guards so it wasn’t overcrowded. But the beach wasn’t that busy, most guests stayed by the pool and closer to the bar.

The first and second week were completely different in terms of foreign holidaymakers. The first week there was mainly Jordanian and French families; with a couple of who we thought were Russians. English was quite rare to hear and it was refreshing to hear someone else speaking it. The second week there were no Jordanians, a few French, no Russians, lodes of British and even a few Americans.

The stay overall was excellent and I would love to return in the future, there are a few issues but they don’t affect the overall holiday at all. Amazing, Thank you Sofitel Taba Heights!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Carl C
warrington
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I am staying at the sofitel taba heights for the 13th time and I've seen a review of the hotel titled iPad stolen and money stolen by louise laughwell,now I'm not sure that you have stayed at the sofitel in taba heights,but I can assure anyone thinking of or have already booked this fantastic hotel that in the 13 times that we have stayed there has never been anything taken from our room and we have alway left valuables lying around numerous times,so I really don't think you have stayed here and why would you leave it 1 year to put your review on tripadvisor surely you are not that busy.

When we return to the uk we will do a full review of this fantastic,beautiful,friendly hotel that gets better everytime we come a big thank you to Hussein,kimo,Amgad,walid,mr walid,big mo,little mo,Felix,smiley mo from the quiet pool,salah,reda and everybody at the hotel for making this holiday the best one yet and we are only half way through

• Stayed March 2012
10 Thank liverpool1972_9
Sofitel-Taba, Directeur général at Sofitel Taba Heights, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the staff of Sofitel Taba I thank you for your nice reaction .Yes we were in the past confronted to fake reviews and it seems that we are back again to this situation and unfortunately we have to accept this because we cannot get them removed .However even if this cost us our ranking, we will continue to deliver high quality of service and look after our guest,this is our reply to fake reviews . We are confident that readers of reviews will understand.
Warm regards.
southport
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Would recommend this hotel without too many reservations. Room wonderful but condition of bathroom far from satisfactory. Food very good, staff so friendly, and gardens kept immaculate. Only problem we experienced was the usual habit of guests who like to handle the food without concern for passing on bacteria to everybody else. Such a shame when the catering staff are kept to such high levels of food hygiene and yet guests cannot be bothered to use utensils provided to select food items. Apart from this, we loved the hotel but perhaps the management need to accept that British travellers do like to chat with the restaurant staff, although we don't mean to keep them from their duties. We are a friendly nation and have great respect for all hotel staff. I say this because we did hear that several of the restaurant staff were allegedly reprimanded for chatting to guests.
Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Think perhaps block should be avoided because of poor standard of bathrooms which obviously need upg...