“Lovely location,staff were very helpful.sayed the Thompson rep. Was lovely.”

Sofitel Taba Heights
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Taba
Reviewed 17 October 2013

This hotel was lovely,the snorkelling was good it was my first try and I loved it,the Hyatt next door has a better jetty the water is deeper so more variety of fish to see.the hotel staff will do anything to make you happy.only problem we had was our room had an adjoining door to next room,you can hear most of what goes on next door,Heba the customer liaison rep. Was mortified when we had to complain,luckily the couple were going home the next day otherwise I think she would have moved us.if you get one of these rooms I would ask to move.there is a quiet pool which is out of way of main pool.entertainment was typically local,very good sometimes but they take a long time to organise the acts.Food,a lot of it lots of choice,unfortunately three of our party of four had stomach upsets,it's more do to with the change of diet not cleanliness.i would choose carefully for a few days,if there's nothing you like the chefs are happy to find you something you are happy with.the snack bar was a bit limited.our last four days coincided with the Muslim festival of ede,it would have been nice to be warned of this,the holiday was very peaceful up to this then it went mad,unfortunately the dining room turned into a bun fight sometimes if you go check with holiday company that this event is not happening when you want to go,especially in October.We went to Petra for a day wonderful place to see,but a long day ,you don't get long enough time there,we felt the time for this trip was not very good,we were left in aqubar for an hour on way back which we could have had at Petra.We also did the sailboat trip which was a brilliant day out,it was nice to get away from resort for a day.We also went to the FlyingCarpet restaurant in the uptown area one night best steak in town and nice to have a lovely fresh cooked meal.all in all I would go back here but only for a week all inclusive,it can get a bit too much with the food.this hotel has the best views across to to Jordan and Saudi Arabia beautiful sunsets and sunrises .

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Ina_005
Sofitel-Taba, Quality & Training Manager at Sofitel Taba Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Taba Heights. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We went as a couple to celebrate with another couple a 60th birthday. We went with Thomson - flight good. Transfer efficient. Made very welcome by rep Sayeed and by staff at reception. Quick check in considering 2 coaches arrived together. They made sure we didn't miss our evening meal. Location is lovely, easy to get a sunbed. Rooms of high quality however our shower in block 3 was not all powerful. We even had a kettle in our room which is unusual as it is all inclusive. For the 1st few days the hotel was so quiet - heaven but from Sunday it filled up because of the annual feast. The staff tried thier best but the hotel went from 25% full to 100% full in a day. There were children running all over the place the toilets were not as clean as before. However could not fault the staff. The restuarant manager Rasheed was so good , arranged a cake and got to know names. Taba Heights is only a little community of about 5 5* hotels with a free bus (Taf Taf) connecting them to each other and the Watersports centre and the small amount of shops. The shops were empty - they were struggling with the lack of people.
We went on a trip with waterworld a sailing boat takes 50 and there were 9 of us - like having a private sailing boat. a wonderful snorkelling trip. We were not good swimmers so to ensure that we didn't miss out one of the crew towed us around the reef for 45 mins!
We had a fantastic time and it is such a shame Thomson's are pulling out.
Our rep Sayeed was always available for a chat, knew everything you needed to know and even arranged a farewell cocktail party the night before.
Thank you Sofitel for a wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room but still see mountains and the sea try block 3. Block 1 is nearest the bea...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linda F

Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

Into my 2nd wk now and cannot say enough great things about my stay. Totally safe. Lovely and quiet... loads of sunbeds, space and peace. Room in block 1 .. fab, huge and a great view. Staff.. everyone genuinely hopes u have a great holiday and cannot do enough for you. Special mention to Mostafa and Mustafa in room service and Aladdin restaurant.. you have both made my holiday very special thank you.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Wendlebury67
Sofitel-Taba, Quality & Training Manager at Sofitel Taba Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Reviewed 10 October 2013

Put this off for far too long! Had a great week long trip to the Sofitel in late July.
All I can say is service, service, service. Sayed is a wonderful rep, helpful beyond his requirement for our entire stay, Fatah in the kitchen also for making up all sorts of dishes for my girlfriend (my girlfriend is gluten free). Hashim in the restaurant also couldn't do enough for us Thanks very much for all your help.
The hotel itself is slightly dated and as a 25 year old man I did find myself twitching my toes a bit. However, I knew the deal before I went and as I was travelling with three friends who love nothing else than lazing in the sun I was fine with sitting at the bar and relaxing. There is not much to go and do around the hotel so they were in heaven. If you are a couple or group that wants to be going out in the evenings etc then this is not for you. There was no entertainment at all and things were quiet by 10/11. This is where I would have liked a busy bar with some atmosphere and music, none of that which was a shame.
My friend and I did the day trip to Petra which was brilliant, expensive but well worth the money on what is a very long day.
We also did one of the snorkelling trips which wasn't expensive and was really good.
One tip: The on site a-la-cart restaurant called Asiatique is a hidden gem. No one seems to know about it and it's not advertised anywhere near as much as it should be. The food is cooked in front of you and is sensational, definitely go there at least one night.
Only one restaurant was open whilst we were there and the dishes are very samy. We are not fussy eaters but it is the same stuff every night, whatever 'swing' they put on it.
Anyway, for the amount of money we paid we were very happy with what we got. Everyone there is doing their best to make sure you have a great holiday and that is half the job done right there.
Oh, and the reading reviews on here I had been dreading the Thomson flights. A bit boring yes but they were absolutely fine.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jonny E

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Returned from Sofitel Taba Heights on 2nd oct, If you are hesitating about an Egyptian holiday then hesitate no more. The Red sea is safe and secure, the Egyptian people are friendly and happy to see you.
At the moment the resort of Taba Heights is quiet, no Russians, French, Germans and very few Brits.
No fighting for sunbeds on the beach or by the pool, no fighting for seats in the restaurants, no standing at the bar for five minutes waiting for a drink.
We had two weeks at the Sofitel this was our second visit to this hotel it was just as good this time as it was two years ago. Nothing is to much trouble for the staff, the food is excellent, y ou would really be a very fussy eater if you couldn't find something to suit you in the restaurant
Had a wonderful day out snorkeling with waterworld, there was only ten of us on the boat, looked after very well.
Fully recommend this hotel and we will certainly be going back there in the future.

Room Tip: Block one third or fourth floor will give you superb views over the sea to Jordan and Saudia Arabia...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christopher B

Greetings

We enjoyed having you with us and glad to hear that our services have met with your expectations

Looking forward to welcoming you back at Sofitel Taba Heights

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Stayed at the Sofitel with my husband for 2 weeks in September and we were pleasantly surprised by the standard of the hotel and the great staff! We have stayed in the Hyatt, Marriott and Intercontinental in Taba Heights before - SOFITEL IS THE BEST!

Check in was quick and we were greeted with drinks in reception. The front of house manager Ahmed ensured we got the room we had asked for (make sure you email the hotel in advance if you want a great room!) and on arrival in the room we were greeted with a massive chocolate cake - Thanks Ali!

We went for a sea view room in block 1 (room 1422- one of the best in the hotel!), the view of the pool and sea was great, the balcony and the room was spacious but i did miss having a bath! Housekeeping always did a brilliant job and decorated our bed nearly every day. From block 1 you can hear the music in the distance from the evening entertainment which this did not bother us - especially when the view is great. If you don't want to hear the music then block 3 would be a better choice.

Mohamed and Magdi at reception were awesome throughout our stay, they went the extra mile with helping us with restaurant reservations, wifi, room service, unusual requests from us and helping my husband organize special surprises for me! The WIFI in reception is free but not always working and sometimes very slow.

The restaurant buffet has a variety of healthy and unhealthy options! There were always plenty of salads and the head chef was always more than happy to make something special for me if there wasn't anything suitable. There is always plently of fruit available and some great desserts to try! Each night has a different theme - Indian, Seafood, Oriental, Egyptian etc. I would like to thank my friends Eslam and Mohamed (Elmonofy) for such great service in the restaurant.

The hotels Japanese restaurant L'Asiatique is not included in the all-inclusive package but is definitely worth a visit and the prices are not expensive! It was great watching the chef cook the food on the Teppanyaki grill and the portion sizes are HUGE! Me and my husband made the mistake of ordering 2 of all the side dishes + a starter... I was full after the starter, it was the size of a main course!

The snack bar by the pool is not the healthiest choice for food (chips and burgers) but the service is fast and it is yummy! There is also a salad bar available throughout the day in the Lotus Bar. After the first week i needed something healthy and A. Elfattah and Badry in the Lotus Bar were great at making me Chicken Shawarma every day- if you don't ask you don't get.

The room service menu has a lot of choice - the menu is missing ice cream though!! We ordered room service several times and most of the time it arrived promptly... On one occasion we ordered and after 30 minutes nothing had arrived so we called them and the person who had taken our order hadn't understood us! We re-ordered in Arabic and Rashid, the restaurant manager was quick to sort our order but it took over 1 hour to get our food!

We received a free 1 hour Spa session with our meal in L'Asiatique. The spa is recently refurbished and the jacuzzi has beautiful views. However, we were not allowed to visit each spa room at our leisure instead a staff member told us we had to do the rooms in order with 15 minutes in each, he re-enforced this when we tried to move on to the next room after 5 minutes which was disappointing.

The pool areas are clean and there are plenty of sun loungers. We decided to reserve our sun loungers every morning because we wanted our favourite spot. The hotels pools are very quiet and we unfortunately witnessed 1 couples inappropriate public behaviour as we walked past one of the jacuzzi's...! Yasser the pool attendant was quick to deal with this and the pool staff are great fun, especially Christiano from the entertainment staff.

You can go snorkeling and camel riding on the hotels beach. Make sure you don't pay more that 50 Egyptian pounds for camel riding - if you are having problems agreeing a price ask Yasser the pool attendant to help :)

The views from the beach are great - you can see Jordan in the distance and the sunrise and the sunset are worth watching from the beach. We also walked along the beach to the left of the hotel and into the mountains - this is best done early in the morning before it gets too hot!

The evening entertainment was generally very good but on one night of the week there is a middle aged singer - he is AWFUL!! It sounded like shockingly bad karaoke so me and my husband laughed and left, as did many other guests!! An evening stroll along the beach is a perfect way to spend the evening!

The BEST shop is Simons Bazzar on the right hand side of the hotel beach! Simon is a great guy and he is sure to make you feel welcome and of course sell you something!!

The gym is not 5 star but has everything you need to work out while on holiday, the machines are basic and the dumbells in the weights room were broken which was disappointing.

Should you need to see a doctor, the hotel doctor is great. Also, the on site shop sells postcards and many of the basics and is not outrageously expensive.

***TIPS***
1. There are a LOT of mosquitoes at the Sofitel, especially in the room so make sure you take some wipes/spray.
2. We went for a meal in the Flying Carpet in uptown but were disappointed - The Sofitels own restaurant L'Asiatique is much better!
3. Don't moan about anything at the hotel - ask for what you want and they will happily get it for you.
4. The best time to snorkel is between 11 and 1. The best place to snorkel is off the jetty to the left of the hotel beach (at the Hyatt regency).
5. The free bus to uptown and the other hotels does not run on time - it is pretty unpredictable.
6. The staff have limited English/French/German so if you can speak arabic then use your arabic, we did and it really helped!
7. Take the bottle of water from lunch/dinner with you, it can be re-filled from the water machines around the pool + at the spa. (Only 2 small bottles of water are included per day in the all-inclusive package after which they cost 15 egyptian pounds each).

All in all it was a great holiday! If you are looking to relax in the sun with great food, great service and great views then this is the best hotel for you. Thank you to all the staff, especially those with contracts ending soon due to low occupancy, they will be missed! And for those sceptical about safety in Egypt - the news is all hype! I am visiting the pyramids next month :)

Room Tip: Block 1, room 1422 is one of the best rooms in the hotel! The view of the pool and sea are amazing f...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LuxuryTraveller111

Greetings

I thank you so much for such a comprehensive review, really i enjoyed reading every single word in it, i have communicated your comments in regards to the room service order taking, spa rooms, singer and the gym with the concerned departments

We always open for comments and feed back as one of our values is spirit of oppenness

Looking forward to welcoming you back at Sofitel Taba Heights

Regards

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We found that this hotel matched our needs exactly. We met people that have returned many times and hopefully we I'll add ourselves to this list. The staff were friendly and helpful without being in your face. The food was good, always a reasonable selection and presented very well. The snorkelling was excellent most of the time but it was quite windy at times making the sea choppy and stirring up the sand.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Greetings

We enjoyed having you with us and happy to hear that our services have met with your expectations

Looking forward to welcoming you back at Sofitel Taba Heights to join our returning guest list

Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Taba
Taba Hotel and Nelson Village
U Suites Eilat
U Suites Eilat
#10 of 61 in Eilat
Movenpick Resort Taba

Been to Sofitel Taba Heights? Share your experiences!