“Enjoyable trip to Sofitel, Taba Heights”

Sofitel Taba Heights
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Taba
Rushden, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable trip to Sofitel, Taba Heights”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We have recently returned from a 2 week trip to the Sofitel with Thomson and had a very enjoyable stay. This was our 2nd visit to the Red Sea. Our first was to Marsa Alam. My husband is a keen underwater photographer and we were amazed at the variety of fish to be seen snorkelling off the jetty's at both the Sofitel and the Hyatt. We encountered many species including rays we had not seen else where, different moray eels, turtles and octopus. The coral reef off the Hyatt is excellent too, although in windy conditions not advisable to go in unless you are confident in the water. Consequently we thought the location to be excellent for our needs. The hotel staff were very helpful and friendly. The atmosphere around the hotel relaxing, rooms clean and plenty of choice to eat in the restaurants. Some guests did complain the food was not 5 star, but then everywhere is having to cut back even restaurants in the UK are cutting back on quality using cheaper cuts of meat etc! But we found plenty of choice and never suffered any upset tummy. We were expecting to suffer from tummy problems based on our first experience to the Egypt so on our first day visited the pharmacy so we were prepared but we never required it. They wash all the food etc with bottled water so we were pleasantly suprised not to suffer any ill effects. We would love to come back here but unfortunately Thomson are pulling the plug on flights to Taba, and I believe Longwood will be too in the New Year. Great shame because we do not want to take a flight to Sharm and travel 3 hours by road up to Taba Heights. So come on you travel companies - up your game and look at flights to Taba. The only problem that may inhibit this is any further problems in Egypt or Syria escalating but for the time being it was all very safe around the the resort area and a lovely place to go.

Room Tip: Our room was in block 1 with views over the swimming pools and sea not far from the steps down. Had...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Sofitel-Taba, Quality & Training Manager at Sofitel Taba Heights, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Taba Heights. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I would just like to say, THOMSON have done it again!!!!! This is the 3rd EGYPTIAN DESTINATION that we have discovered you are not taking repeat bookings for!!! What is wrong with this company???? I DON'T WANT TO GO TO SHARM THANKS......Not even offering the choice to fly into sharm for transfer up to Taba, that option has been snapped up by Longwoods, Good for them eh? ANYWAY, this contract, i hope will be an option taken by Thomas Cook?? PLEASE??

Now for my review of this Super friendly, warm welcoming hotel and ALL their amazing team that make the Sofitel the chosen destination of thousands of British and all other nationalities for years in the past and with effort, in the future as well.

I need to kick off with my HUGE thanks to Heba(big), our amazing Guest Relations lady. When you say some go the extra mile, Heba done the Marathon!!! When my hubby was ill, she was relentless in her endevours to help us with everything we needed to enjoy our holiday. Such a gem of a lady. just loved her. Sofitel, treasure her please, want to see her when we come back.

Our room was amazing, we had to change due to 1st's location and my health needs, and our chap who cleaned it for us was soooo nice. A thorough clean daily, THANKYOU. All the furniture and huge bed was wonderful. Plenty of storage and drawer space, safe and fridge stocked with water every day, plenty room for extra cans diet coke ect.. TIP: put your aftersun in there as well, heaven if you overdo the sunbathing. The bathroom and walk in shower room were FABULOUS and spotlessly clean every day. Products replenished as needed. Fresh towels as needed daily.

The restaraunt used for all our meals was staffed by a FABULOUS team. They could not do enough for you to ensure you enjoyed each meal service.
SPECIAL THANKS TO: Our lovely waiter's: Abdul, he never let the grass grow under his feet. Always busy, and very kind hearted to me, glasses of ice with every drink...well done my friend.
And also Khaled, (my dad), he knows who he is....always with a kind smile and caring heart.
PLUS Hossan, the delivery of my treat, ICE-CREAM was always served with a HUGE smile.
These 3 stood out to us, always keen to deliver 1st class service, after 2 weeks were friends and antisipated our needs 100%, Thankyou also to the Food and Beverage director, Mohammed, AKA. Peter Andre, he loved this title, ha ha ha!! He was a very kind and dedicated man who made it his mission to keep you happy and he fulfilled this every time he was on duty. In fact ALL the managers in all areas had the same goal. We always recieved a 1st class service. Thankyou.

The chefs were very visible and approachable if you required some food choice not being served. BUT, the menu was varied and themed nights made a night to look forward to. Thankyou for such a tasty and varied service. FOOD SCULPTURES WERE AMAZING, VERY TALENTED CHEF, always a little smile to share with the guests. Thankyou also to our Egg/Omlette man...very patient, always remembered i liked mine 2 fried, NO OIL, and cooked to perfection every time.

From a manners perspective, ALL staff were totaly, utterly respectful, DESPITE some guests treating them like servants, which i witnessed and was offended by on their behalf. Remember, you are a guest in this hotel and the waiting staff are keen to do their best to keep you happy, BUT there is NO need to treat them rudley, it says more about you than it does about their delivery.
Our LOVELY concierge, ALLA was a shining light, full of smiles and a helpful heart. You are missed x Hope to see you again one day soon x

There are SO many people to mention and recognise for their amazing service in the Sofitel, i would be here ALL night, but just know this, you are all valued your '' WEIGHT IN GOLD ''

We would recommend the quiet pool if you want a total chillax holiday, by block 3, any room, they are all good. High standard of decoration and views FAB!! You will be served by a very smiley, happy barman, Mahmud at the quiet pool. Always ready for a chat.
The only critisism here would be that snacks COULD be served here alongside the lovely drinks, wrapped sandwiches and fruit would be welcome here, (no hot service required, )then you could spend more time by the pool of choice.

The one thing that does let this hotel down is : ''The Entertainment.'' There is no budget spent in this area and it really shows. Our 2 week stay would have been totaly transformed in the evening IF there had been good shows to entertain us with. I know it is stated as low key, BUT, sometimes, start times were not followed and 1/2 an hour later, we may get a small dance show/ a singer who TRIED hard, but guests upped and left only a few of us to help him by singing along with him. Invest in quality entertainment for the evenings, guests WILL LOVE IT instead of ''HAVE AN EARLY NIGHT'' The 2 chaps and the girl do try hard, but new material IS needed.

Reception staff : Alway very helpful and courtious, Thankyou :)

Our AMAZING Thomson Rep: No one has EVER been as kind and helpful and PATIENT as you were with ALL the guests, but to US you were THE MAN!!!!!! Never will you be bested in your job Sayed. Thomson has an absolute DIAMOND FIND in you. I pray you and your beautiful wife will be safley delivered of your gorgeous daughter Houda in February 2014. A huge cuddle for your little son from us. Thankyou once again for all you did for myself and Duncan, we won't forget it for sure.

With this stunning hotel laying alongside the Sinai Mountains with views across THE GULF OF AQUABAR to SAUDI ARABIA, JORDAN, and ISRAEL, watching the sunsets and sunrises that were sooooo beautiful, you could be forgiven for not wanting to come home again.

Last word goes to Mr.Bert Plas, General manager. I need to thankyou 100% for all the help and kindness shown to myself and my husband when he became ill and when recovered. I have thought that my suggestion of hand sanitiser stations alongside the handbasins in public areas, if adopted in this hotel, would be a visual reminder that hand sanitising is imperitive AFTER handwashing. It gives out a good signal that hand hygeine is for everyones benefit, especialy on an A/I holiday, where buffet service is the option. Sometimes people just need a gentle reminder on entering the food hall to use the gel. Cruise ships always remind guests to do so and no-one gets offended.
You do have an amazing hotel, wonderful staff, a great team to be proud of. I do hope you will ALL be here when we return to visit you again, sooner than later i hope.

A quick HELLO Tweeza and Si, friends we made from the plane going out, to when we parted at Gatwick coming home.We are coming to see ya boff soon, friends i fink for life!!!! Honoured to make a special friendship with you both xx Love Sandra n Duncan xx To all @ Sofitel Taba Heights xx THANKYOU xx

Room Tip: All rooms in block 3 are big and well appointed, but we settled in Block 1 with a gorgeous room due...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Amman, Jordan
Reviewed 20 October 2013

i've been hearing alot about Taba, and especially this Hotel from so many people.
i really wanted to visit Taba, but when my Family decided to go, i was so not looking forward for this trip.
it was during Eid (muslim Holidays), and i knew it would be so crowded.
Getting there by the sea was a headache, considering the building to be too small for the crowd.
once i got there i was overwhelmed with the helpers working at the terminal.
our bags/luggage were taken after the screening, while we were still passing through the security check up point!
one guy had all our passports and went directly to get them stamped and the officer hit the roof knowing that we were even finished from the security check up!

such a weird welcome! we had to keep checking on our bags with all the workers there! (very stressful)

we were at the hotel by 9 A.M, and got our rooms at 1PM.

we were too exhausted to do anything on that day,

we had our bracelets, (the all inclusive bracelet).

the rooms were so big... we had plenty of room for everything.
there were two large sofas, and my sister placed them in front of each other so her baby could sleep in at night without falling, so convenient, an adult could sleep there with much comfort. considering the fact that the Hotel was packed and extra beds or cribs were taken.

my room 3303 had a LOT of Ants coming from the bathroom, i had this problem fixed the next day, but the housekeeping did not bother to clean the floor from the dead ants! only two days later did they consider cleaning the floor.

we had a total of 4 rooms, and the rest of the family had no issues whatsoever.

all 4 remotes were not working, which was solved within 15 min. from reporting the problem.

refrigeration and air conditioning were excellent.

there was no WiFi in the rooms, only in the lobby were they have to type in the username and password at the reception, and it is only valid for a day.

the elevators were broken, dents everywhere, and the sensor is messed up.
we had the elevator close on my moms arm, my sisters finger, my nephews arm, and my other sisters shoulder. when we reported this problem, they commented sarcastically that they had that elevator close on them too!

it took us some time to get the pool and restaurant, but i loved walking, (not OK for children to walk on their own, they WILL get lost!!!!)

you will see a lot of Arabian Sand Gecko, or what we call in Arabic (abu breis).

the Hotel is really big, the buffet is good, i wouldn't consider it a 5* menu. but considering the fact that its all inclusive packages and having so many people at the Hotel, i am very much impressed by the service!

i wanted my vacation to end because of the people at the Hotel, and not the Hotel itself.

some very rude guests, that i did not wish to be around.

snacks start at 12 pm for anyone who's wearing the bracelet, ice cream was yummy.

(wouldn't hurt to leave a tip here or there, they work really hard, and they deal with VERY rude guests, yet they keep calm, and smile)

Spa was a bit expensive and from my sisters experience she did not like the pedicure she got.

their shows and events were entertaining, the kids enjoyed their time.

the weather was AMAZING!!!! October is the best time i must say for such a trip. (make sure you plan it AFTER Eid)

the pool was FREEZING! i wish it was a bit warm to enjoy swimming, the sea was very nice, and warm, but rocks were an obstacle!
my nephew cut his toe, and it kept bleeding for a while.

one thing caught my attention, was that the Hotel had a consideration for couples, and the retired, if you're visiting with no kids, you get to have a quite swimming pool for adults only, and the buffet at a restaurant for adults only, very quite and peaceful.

you'll find camels at the beach to ride, (negotiate with owner for pricing)

Also, there's a hut selling Egyptian pottery, and other things.

i booked a motor cycling trip in the canyons, and THAT was the best part of my trip!!!

it was amazing!!! you MUST try it.

take a look at the gift shop in the Hotel, but don't buy before taking a trip in the Taf-Taf (shuttlebus) to Al Wakalah market, make your comparison.

in Al wakalah, you'll find the Salt Cave. i haven't tried it myself, but i went there to see it, i did not feel i needed the session.

BE CAREFUL, take good care of your belongings, because you might encounter some issues with the guests at the Hotel, (many of our pool/beach stuff disappeared only to be seen with others) again, its the guests, its not the Hotel that made the trip unpleasant.

Kids loved going to the kids club, it was a fun trip for them, and a stressful one for me, to keep an eye on our belongings,

i felt that the Hotel was trying it's best to keep up with the guests. job well done, with food and other services.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

staines
Reviewed 19 October 2013

My partner and l went to Sofitel Taba Heights for her 60th birthday, some friends also went, which she did not know about, which made the holiday extra special. The hotel was was lovely. We were given a room in Block 1, which overlooked the resort and had an amazing seaview. The room was very clean and tidy, with fresh bottles of water put in a small fridge daily, also tea-making facilities, which was lovely to make a cuppa first thing in am. The restaurant staff were lovely, especially Rasheed, the manager, who organised a lovely cake and baloons etc for my partner as a birthday surprise, and the staff sang happy birthday as she walked through the door.She was totally overwhelmed. Sayed our Thomson rep was exceptionally helpful and always smiling. The resort itself is very picturesque, amazing seaviews and beaches. Snorkelling off the jetty is excellent, very good for beginners. We went out on a sailing boat The Montfreid with waterworld, had my first scuba dive with them, They were very patient and so helpful. There were only 9 people and crew on the boat, we visited Farun Island and snorkelled off the boat, had some lunch then stopped later for some more snorkelling, then the crew suprised my partner with a birthday cake they had made on the boat, a most wonderful day out. I can recommend eating at The Flying Carpet in uptown Taba Heights as the food is excellent, plus you get a voucher from the Sofitel giving you either a free starter or dessert. Transfers very good , did not take too long and we were able to have dinner on arrival Tuesday night. Lovely resort, excellent holiday, especially with our friends, would definitely recommend The Sofitel, shame Thomsons will not be flying here next year as the resort is a real gem. will definitely find a way to come back here. So relaxing and beautiful.

Room Tip: we were in block 1, excellent views over resort and sea. very large room 1414. Friends stayed in Bl...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Norfolk
Reviewed 19 October 2013

It's difficult to write this review for 2 reasons.
1. There's nothing to add to all the previous reviews, it really is that good.
2. Because the flights to Taba are stopping I would imagine that unless you're already a fan of this hotel or the others in this area it's going it 's going to be unlikely that you'll be booking to go here anyway.

We've stayed at a couple of other hotels in Taba Heights previously and the Sofitel is just that little bit better.

I only hope that flights do resume to Taba in the very near future.

Room Tip: Rooms in Block 1 have amazing views.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Chinnor
Reviewed 18 October 2013

In three week's time I will be making my ninth visit to Sofitel Taba Heights. This time, of course, I have to fly to Sharm el Sheik and then take the transfer to Taba which, while not being ideal, will not stop me going to Sofitel. I am sure it will be worth the effort to see again the wonderful staff at this hotel.

I sincerely hope that all old customers and new ones will support this hotel as the effort made of the part of the staff is second to none.

DO NOT GIVE UP ON THIS VENUE, IT IS WELL WORTH THE EFFORT AND HOPEFULLY SOON FLIGHTS TO TABA WILL RESUME.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Bren P
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

This hotel was lovely,the snorkelling was good it was my first try and I loved it,the Hyatt next door has a better jetty the water is deeper so more variety of fish to see.the hotel staff will do anything to make you happy.only problem we had was our room had an adjoining door to next room,you can hear most of what goes on next door,Heba the customer liaison rep. Was mortified when we had to complain,luckily the couple were going home the next day otherwise I think she would have moved us.if you get one of these rooms I would ask to move.there is a quiet pool which is out of way of main pool.entertainment was typically local,very good sometimes but they take a long time to organise the acts.Food,a lot of it lots of choice,unfortunately three of our party of four had stomach upsets,it's more do to with the change of diet not cleanliness.i would choose carefully for a few days,if there's nothing you like the chefs are happy to find you something you are happy with.the snack bar was a bit limited.our last four days coincided with the Muslim festival of ede,it would have been nice to be warned of this,the holiday was very peaceful up to this then it went mad,unfortunately the dining room turned into a bun fight sometimes if you go check with holiday company that this event is not happening when you want to go,especially in October.We went to Petra for a day wonderful place to see,but a long day ,you don't get long enough time there,we felt the time for this trip was not very good,we were left in aqubar for an hour on way back which we could have had at Petra.We also did the sailboat trip which was a brilliant day out,it was nice to get away from resort for a day.We also went to the FlyingCarpet restaurant in the uptown area one night best steak in town and nice to have a lovely fresh cooked meal.all in all I would go back here but only for a week all inclusive,it can get a bit too much with the food.this hotel has the best views across to to Jordan and Saudi Arabia beautiful sunsets and sunrises .

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Ina_005
Sofitel-Taba, Quality & Training Manager at Sofitel Taba Heights, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Taba
Taba Hotel and Nelson Village
Melony Hotel
#42 of 62 in Eilat
Movenpick Resort Taba Hotel
Strand Beach and Golf  Resort Taba Heights

Been to Sofitel Taba Heights? Share your experiences!