“great way to see in the new year” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofitel Taba Heights

Sofitel Taba Heights
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Taba
Hastings, United Kingdom
“great way to see in the new year”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

once again Sofitel taba heights pulled out all the stops to ensure that our xmas and new year break were something special,the food was great with a large selection to suit all tastes.xmas day santa arrived on the beach astride a camel and the kids adored it,xmas night the nativity play was very well staged and quite moving,new years eve was a blast from the early cocktails to the last streamer and a weary walk back to our room,roll on next year

Room Tip: third floor rooms in building one have a large private terrace with full size sun loungers we had 13...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank victor c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (659)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

Cool hotel - right by the beach with a view across to Israel, Jordan and to Saudi Arabia!
Nice friendly staff, good, varied food - and this despite one restaurant being closed given low occupancy because of the political situation. That's an advantage, as you get more space and more attention, but a disadvantage as you're sort of edvised not to leave the resort except to visit the other hotels - which seemed less attractive, tho the snorkelling off the Hyatt is a wow, with beautifully formed coral.
We had great fun with the guys at Waterworld, with Ashraf guiding the scuba diving. Way worth recommending the parasailing and the banana boat too.
Complete the whole with an easy day's trip to Petra.

Room Tip: get a sea view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank aarrgg
Cloppenburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Been there first week of december. At first everything was written in english, but soon afterwards there were translations to nearly every sign in german. Real nice service, especially to older people who are not so good in english.
Service and Staff was very helpful and friendly, lots of different Food to choose from, the Rooms were big and very clean also the beach and the pools.
I would have been nicer to have a small quietly bar or something to retreat in a smaller group, just a nice place to sit and have a little chat.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JoergGudrun
Sofitel-Taba, Quality & Training Manager at Sofitel Taba Heights, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for the time taken to write this review

we have enjoyed having you with us and happy to hear that our services have met with your expectations

Looking forward to welcoming you back at Sofitel Taba Heights

Regards
Swindon Wiltshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

Taba Heights Resort in Egypt is miles from Cairo and would take 6 hours or more by road so one is wondering why this resort is being forgotten by the tour operators and not recommending this lost paradise to their customers? The Sofitel Hotel and its Staff, Managers are absolute diamonds, they couldn't make you more welcome and love interacting and actually Love the English people. The troubles in Cairo is far from this resort as is Shalm yet flights to Shalm are regular and many, this hotel and resort is by far a better and relaxing location than Shalm with beautiful mountains and beaches to hand. Come on tour companies start promoting this resort it deserves you attention and investment don't let these hotels and resort be lost and forgotten along with the wonderful people their, get those flights back to Taba airport and not to the Shalm airport. If you would like to experience Taba and the Sofitel as its a must the transfer from Shalm is worth it and the scenery is lovely,

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Blondieoo1
Gravesend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Have just returned from a great stay at the Sofitel. We chose Taba as a base to be able to explore Sinai, Jordan and Israel.. We mainly chose the Sofitel on the reviews we had read.. And it was an excellent choice. It would be wrong to single out one or two members of staff.. All the staff were extremely helpful, immediately at hand to fix a couple of initial hiccups with the room including an upgrade. The staff are a credit to the Sofitel chain, easy to approach and we're extremely hospitable.

The resort itself is one of the better ones I have stayed at with excellent views of the mountains and the sea.. You are able to see Jordan, Eilat and Saudi. It makes a great place to explore... We went to Petra and Israel.

Occupancy varied with the resort becoming busier as the weekend approached.. Making the place lively but not over crowded there are awaits sun loungers, space at the pool etc.. It was good to see a real international mix to the resort.

Our room itself was large and spacious with an ocean view, after an initial hiccup with the shower, which the staff we're very helpful in trying to fix straightaway we were eventually upgraded to a different room.

The resort itself has lots on offer from the usual pools etc, to having a private beach.. So plenty to choose from when relaxing or just heading into the sea to see some of the marine life.

We went all-inclusive, something I would recommend, the food would suit all pallets and we didn't have a single issue and was for a buffet in the main restaurant very good quality.

Taba, is a great place to be even without a direct flight from the UK we flew into Sharm El Sheik, it was well worth the drive to Taba. The area is very safe and secure and I would highly recommend it, you are a long way away from an issues you hear about Egypt on the news.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lak P
Rochester, Kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

My friend and I stayed here in October, I have been to Egypt once before which wasn't a good experience but as this was a 5* hotel and after reading the ratings we thought this would be ok. Hotel very large and exceptionally clean and hotel staff seemed pleasant at the start. Resort was exceptionally quite but we knew we were the last group of English flying to Taba with Thompson as they have pulled out of Taba now.

The room was nice and spacious with 2 double beds but the lighting is terrible both in the main bedroom and the bathroom,which makes it difficult when you are trying to do your make-up or even read. Even in the public areas the lighting is bad and at 11.30pm every evening the lights would go off in the main lobby!!

Plenty of sunbeds around the pools and on the beach and the location is stunning, The sun goes down at around 4pm and as you are surrounded by mountains it feels like someone switches the light off so you need to make the most of the sun. The only time it got a bit busy was when the Muslims arrived from Jordan and it was weird to see women in the pools and the sea dressed in all their full Muslim garments next to Western woman in barely anything! Most of them were also extremely rude and loud and you certainly noticed it when they were there.

Being a predominantly Muslim country all the staff bar one were men and the main problem we had was feeling harassed by some members of staff being two women on our own. We had this before when we travelled to Morocco but at times I felt very uncomfortable. One guy got really annoyed with us because we made it quite clear we weren't interested but you have to be careful or it seems some take politeness for an open invitation! The guy from the beauty salon is also extremely irritating and will sit down on your sunbed without invitation. I did have a manicure in the end to get rid of him but this is not part of the hotel and is opposite the hotel spa. Although it was ok it felt like a small back street establishment mainly staffed by men and prices were high. I wouldn't come here again unless I was with my partner as couples were not harassed at all.

Having said all that some staff were genuinely nice and the restaurant manager offered to arrange for the the doctor to see me when he found out I had been ill.

The food was varied and would suit most palettes but I was ill on the third day and so were all the other English people we spoke to with some also being ill again on the flight home. Beware of the cocktails as these are heavily watered down and most taste like milkshakes. Also you couldn't get any drinks after 11pm and the entertainment is appalling so be prepared to have lots of early nights as there is really nothing to do after 11pm. Me and my friend watched two chick flicks for two evenings on telly when we were bored but I wasn't expecting to even switch on the telly on holiday!

If you are looking for an internet connection this is only achievable in the reception area with a code and as the reception is quite a small area we had to trudge up the reception every day if you wanted to email or skype which seemed unusual for a 5* hotel.

Taba I fear will die if more tourists don't come here as really it is just a group of hotels but these are all suffering with the lack of tourists and with Thompson pulling out I wonder how long they will survive.

Although the holiday was ok I wouldn't return and have had an upset stomach since I came back which has put me off of Egypt all together.

Overall not a holiday I would remember for the right reasons.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank sharn15
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

I have stayed at Sofitel Taba Heights on 2 occasions - the first time I stayed over the New Year period and then returned again in April 2013 . This hotel has many positives if you want a relaxing holiday. I personally do not like resorts such as Sharm so it suited me staying in a quiet hotel based resort. But if you do like more action it may not be for you as there is nowhere to go outside the hotel other than Taba Heights which is a very small, quiet village with just a few restaurants. The staff at this hotel are excellent, and everywhere you look there seems to be someone cleaning. The room I had was on the ground floor next to the quiet pool and it was spacious and clean with a large comfortable bed. My only complaint would be that by 8am each morning , there were towels on every sun lounger around this pool which I feel were put there by the pool guy who reserved the beds for guests. This was not a major problem for me as I just went to the beach where I could always find a bed , but it was slightly annoying that despite having a room that opened directly on to the pool, I never got to take advantage of this! Ironically it seems this would no longer be a problem, as there are very few guests compared to when I was there so I am sure there are now plenty of spare sun beds. Reading the recent reviews from guests who describe this as a "dying resort", I feel very sad as this is a lovely hotel with staff who seem to genuinely enjoy looking after you and I just hope people will continue to travel here. For me personally it is unlikely I will return , as I would not want such a long transfer from Sharm now there are no UK flights to Taba.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ShredBettyUK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taba
Taba Hotel & Nelson Village
U Suites Eilat
#10 of 63 in Eilat
Movenpick Resort Taba Hotel
Strand Beach and Golf  Resort Taba Heights

Been to Sofitel Taba Heights? Share your experiences!