“ok but i have stayed in better but still relaxing” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofitel Taba Heights

Sofitel Taba Heights
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Taba
england
“ok but i have stayed in better but still relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2009

The softel is a lovely place if you want to do nothing there isnt a lot to do here about a hand full of shops one bar and if you want a night life then forget it . if all of the above sound ok then you will love the place it so relaxing and peaceful . staff not the most friendly there are one or two that are lovely food is good. hotel is lovely and clean . so if you want a relaxing holiday then taba is the place .

• Liked — it relaxing
  • Disliked — nothing there
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fieddie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (659)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
west mids
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2009

stayed at sofitel from 16/12/08 to 30/12/08 and found it to be a superb hotel.the room was a delight,beach and pool area spotless and staff friendly and always helpful.food wasnt bad but could improve in certain areaswhich i know everyone picks fault with but you do have the option of 4 restaurants situated near the 3 corners complex at the top of taba heights which you get discounts off your bill from your own hotel! evening entertainment not bad but didnt start until 10pm and all inclusive finished at 11pm,drinks after that time very expensive ! in all an excellent time was had and the golf course looked magnificent , as was the snorkelling !!

Stayed December 2008
2 Thank orangepeelWestMids
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2009

Okay it's been a while since my stay but after reading some, in my opinion, very unfair reviews I felt I had to write to say I had the time of my life!
The hotel itself is beautiful, the scenery is beautiful, the weather was beautiful and the staff were very friendly - yes at times they were a little over friendly but in their culture they don't see women lounging around in tiny bikini's so you can't blame them for taking an interest!
Food-wise, okay it's pretty basic but what would you want from a foreign trip, fish and chips?! It was salad based with a variety of local dishes which I enjoyed because I fel part of the holiday experience is seeing and participating in the local way of life, not eating what you would eat at home. it was the first time I had eben to Egypt and I'd heard the horror stories about stomach bugs and stuff but I wasn't ill once. I think as long as you aren't silly and avoid ice in drinks (as you would in France os Spain), you can't go wrong and the cleanliness was of a very high quallity so those blaming that take a look at your diet and stop passing the buck! I've had illnesses in Europe along with a far lower standard of cleanliness and concern over guests.
As I said the weather was glorious!
The section of beach which joins the sea was indeed rather stoney but no more than I have experienced anywhere else, and I saw a sting ray in knee depth water - where else would you get that treat!?
Anyway, that's me done. My final comment is that people reading these should remember that for the most part, people will only write a review if they're complaining so take everything with a pinch of salt. If it's an area of the world you want to visit and it's within your price range take a chance, what have you got to lose?!

• Liked — Clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — lighting could have been better as the corridors seem dark after the bright sunshine
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank egyptrox
suffolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2009

We enjoyed a great week at the Sofitel. The hotel was clean, the staff very friendly and keen to help,the food was good --always a choice--(no pork products of course) New year`s gala evening on the beach was excellent --all of the staff worked extremely hard in making this a success. we would definitely return there.

Stayed December 2008
1 Thank johnjoan
Leicestershire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2009

Stayed 16th - 30th December 2008

Taba Airport - After the 5 hour flight we arrived at Taba airport to find that all 3 flights arriving that day had to stand in the same 2 hour queue to get your passports stamped. Only one official stamping the passports, many other airport staff available but just seemed to be walking about trying to look busy. Not much better as we got to the bus, long wait for all 3 flights to board the buses as they have to travel by escorted convoy so can't go until every last person is ready. Think travel agents should advise of military checkpoints that look for bombs under buses etc as it could be frightening for first time travellers to Taba. DO NOT USE THE AIRPORT TOILETS, ABSOLUTELY FILTHY. Wasn't happy to be sat in airport for over 4 hours on way home either (1 hour of this was a delay to be fair), told the rep that we'd paid for pre bookable seats and our tickets said we had to check in only 1.5 hours before flights but they get you there with over 3 hours to spare. There is smoking room and somewhere to buy food and drinks (we bought 2 small bars of choc for £6.)

Hotel - First impressions very good, we were booked in quickly and cases taken to our rooms for us while we went to dinner. Hotel grounds are lovely, rooms ok but our bathroom was in need of refurbishment, shower very dangerous, after couple of minutes water kept going scolding hot then cold. Glad we didn't have young children with us as no bath to wash them in and wouldn't have risked the shower. Hotel provide nice shampoo and shower gel. Hairdryer in bathroom not very good. Plenty of sunbeds available both round pool and on the beach. Very windy in December and we retreated to our balcony some afternoons to sunbathe as it was sheltered from the wind. Views are beautiful especially at night with everything lit up. Staff constantly cleaning up and spend hours every day cleaning the pools and tending to the gardens. Room cleaned every day and fresh towels whenever you need them. 2 bottles of water provided every morning which you can refill through the day. We used the free bus to go the shops, this stops at other hotels and is checked by the security guards for bombs regularly. Never felt in danger but its not nice. Each time you go out when you return to the hotel you have to walk through airport type metal detector and security guards look in all your bags.

Food And Drinks - We found food ok but repetative for 2 weeks. Always lovely fresh bread to fill up on if you struggle some days to find something you like. They fry, scramble or make omlettes while you wait at breakfast and cook pasta at lunch and dinner. Sometimes have carvery section and have bbq for burgers (very garlicky) most nights. Lots of rice and the chips were nice but only served twice in 2 weeks. 2 out of the 4 of us had tummy upset for few days but nothing serious. Was disappointed that some of the restaurants and bars were closed due to it being quiet, was looking forward to having choice of different places to eat and drink. Drinks very limited, wine with lunch and dinner only, beer, gin, vodka. very sweet brandy and few cocktails. All inclusive drinks finish at 11pm - we got couple of extra drinks before 11 if we wanted to stay up later but most nights ready to go back to room as entertainment non existant apart from one hour per evening animation team doing same dance every night then same disco music every night. Chico doing the spinning man dance was very good but once or twice through the holiday would have been enough. Pool bar nice but too cold to sit in at night and again no entertainment. They charge for the pool tables which we thought was a bit cheeky as very old tables, queues wobbly and held together with sellotape. They advertise a "dine around" option where you can have 20 egyptian pounds credit to eat in the other hotels but our rep advised us that the credit they give you doesn't even pay for a glass of wine with your dinner so works out very expensive when you've already paid for "all in". She said that no-one uses this.

Overall - was expecting 5* luxury holiday and felt let down, wouldn't return to this hotel or Taba again. Stayed at Conrad Hotel in Sharm the previous December and had much better holiday. Winter sunshine also warmer in Sharm. This hotel desperatly needs some entertainment for the dark long winter evenings, perhaps a bar with live music. Glad we took pack of cards with us. Nowhere to escape to in Taba, has tiny village centre with mainly restaurants but a few shops as well and good Chemist who speaks english.

• Liked — Beautiful views
  • Disliked — Long dark winter nights with minimal entertainment
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank aitch99
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2008

This holiday was taken with my Mother and Father - and since this was the first time we were going away together, it was really supposed to be special.
The drive from Airport to hotel is around 45mins, but the scenery is lovely - all mountains and sea!
The hotel itself, in fact ALL of Taba Heights, is beautiful and breathtaking. The service is good. However, I wouldn't class this as a 5star, more of a 4 star/high 3 star.
The excursion to St Catherine's was great, as was the Red Sea Cruise.
BUT if you wish to travel by coach to see the Pyramids, prepare yourself for a 5-6 hour journey!! Yes, it took us longer to reach the pyramids than it took us to reach Egypt from Gatwick!
Also be aware of street-sellers who bestow you with ''free gifts''. One man actually put some of his wares into my bag, gave my Mum gifts and when we protested, he said 'No, madam, free gift for you'. However, he then asked for money, and demanded more and more! I promptly returned his 'gifts' and our tour guide gave him a piece of his mind.
Now to the really bad stuff...
A night before returning home, on the 21st Dec, I became feverish within 5minutes of returning from the main desk to confirm our flights home. My Father, from the night before, had been vomiting and had diarrhoea. That night, I suffered from the worst joint pain and diarrhoea of my 27 years. I was also so fevered that I had hallucinations.
The next day, in the airport, I vomitted and suffered the same running to the loo when possible.
It has now been 8 days since our return, and I'm sorry to report that my father and I are still ill. The doctors here prescribed us with anti-sickness tablets and diarrhea-light but to no avail. It has calmed slightly, but in no way are we well enough to enjoy New Years (as Xmas was miserable for us both too).
We heard that another two couples from England had similar symptoms to us whilst we were there.
The food at the hotel is 100% the cause. We did not eat anywhere else, and stuck to all rules about their water etc.
I do remember that on one occasion, the omelette cooked by the staff for my breakfast was so undercooked, you'd be forgiven for thinking you were eating a raw egg! I obviously threw it in the bin.
It's a shame beacuse the staff were so friendly, and the grounds are beautiful. I love travelling, but this experience has left me in no hurry to go abroad anytime soon... and I'm a holiday-hopper!
I've never in my life been so ill. After 8 days, I'm still suffering and will need to see my doctor if it doesn't stop.
A good holiday until the last day, and the pain afterwards is not worth it.

Intrestingly enough, I found a brochure in our hotel room, reviewing the hotels in Taba Heights, and there was some kind of comment about how Sofitel was now working towards/part of the healthy food scheme... something to do with hygiene. Reading other reviews form the last 2 months, it seems that Sofitel has a history with poor food hygiene and causing illness to its visitors.
I loved the location, the holiday, the rooms but unfortunately the severe illness caused by their kitchen has tainted the holiday and my health.

• Liked — The grounds
  • Disliked — The food hygiene and illness I contracted
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank supergirl81
worcs
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2008

We were at the Sofitel from 18th November until the 25th November 2008.

Prior to our trip we did hours of research using Trip Advisor and chose the hotel for its location and proximity to Jordan. Our accommodation was lovely and kept spotlessly clean the hotel staff were very friendly and the grounds and beach area were well kept. We had a wonderful time snorkelling and were enjoying a great family holiday until it would seem there was an obvious Public Health issue during the week that we were there.

Sat 22 Nov Two of our party of five had severe diarrhoea and did not feel well enough to leave their room.

Sun 23 We started to hear reports of other illness.
We heard there was a number of around eight people at that point (besides our party) who were quite poorly.

Mon 24 Two guests from Rugby were too ill to take a cruise trip they had booked and offered it to our party who were unable to go for the same reason - severe diarrhoea.

I asked to speak to the woman overseeing the restaurant and explained that two of our party were quite ill and I had heard of other people in the hotel who were also ill. I asked outright if there was a problem with the kitchen. Her reply was an emphatic 'Yes' but she was working with the chefs to sort it out. The meat was one of the things that was suspect as some of it was not cooked properly and she advised us not to eat the meat.

I spoke to two of our Tour Operator's Representatives immediately and told them that I thought there could be a serious problem. The response from The female Tour Operator Representative was extraordinarily dismissive at the suggestion that there was a problem. They were dashing off to another appointment and I was asked to come back later that evening.

I was completely knocked off my feet a couple of hours later and spent the rest of the holiday confined to bed.

We were picked up the following afternoon to fly home. I was dosed with immodium and rehydration fluids. Only minutes into the five hour flight I was violently sick on the plane and dismayed to find that the crew said they were not issued with disinfectant and had only water to clean up the toilet cubicle relying on the cleaning staff on turnaround to do a more thorough job. The attendant told me that there was a gentleman at the rear of the plane who was on a drip due to food poisoning.

Since returning home I have been really ill suffering a range of symptoms and I was shocked to find that results of laboratory tests show that I had contracted Dysentery Shigella Sonnei. I have since had a visit from our local Environmental Officer who is interested in finding out if there are other cases. The two other members of our party continued to suffer similar symptoms but did not have a lab test although they were ill for a good week after returning home. It's a worry that other guests may have suffered quite badly but did not have a proper diagnosis.

My impression is that there were already reports of problems with the food at the Sofitel when our party arrived which neccessitated a Representative being brought in to put things right.

I don't know why the Tour Operator did not take our report of sickness more seriously It was becoming obvious there was a public health issue and our genuine attempt to look into what was obviously a serious problem was met with an attempt to play down the situation .

We took every health precaution, drinking only bottled water on a regular basis and regularly using antiseptic hand-gel throughout the day.

We travel regularly and have never had any problems before.

• Liked — Good location
  • Disliked — Obvious problem in the kitchen and buffet restaurant layout and size
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family