“Relaxing with Fun and many activities trip”

Sofitel Taba Heights
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Taba
Egypt
“Relaxing with Fun and many activities trip”
Reviewed 9 October 2009

I had a wonderful 5 days vacation in Sofitel Taba Heights. It was relaxing stay with deliciouse food and friendly staff. There was so many activities such as Beach Volly Ball, Ping Pong, Snorkelling....
Snorkelling was the hit of the trip because the beach in front of the hotel has a very special nature and wonderful Corals with so many different Fishes.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KodakAgfa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Stoke, England
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Have just returned (07/10/09) from Sofitel Taba Heights and was suitably impressed with our stay to write this review. While visitors to this resort should not expect any nightlife or lively entertainment there is enough there to keep you entertained if you look for it. The resort comprises five hotels. The staff insist (Well they would wouldn't they!) that the Sofitel is the best of them. I certainly couldn't disagree not having stayed at any of the other four. All i can say is that we were well happy with the Sofitel and that the others would have to be pretty special to beat it. Set on it's own private beach the coral shelf extends quite a way out and does make life difficult for snorkellers, although a jetty does extend out past the coral reef, so persevere and you will find some decent areas to explore. I was told that the snorkelling is better by the Hyatt Hotel just down the beach but to be honest if you get out past the end of the jetty there is some spectacular snorkelling to be had with all sorts of marine life to be seen! The food in the restaurant is by far the best hotel food i have tasted in any Egyptian hotel and i have stayed at quite a few. Usually Egyptian hotel food is pretty bland and looks better than it tastes. However at the Sofitel the chefs do a great job and there is usually something suitable on offer for even the fussiest eater. The hot food is always that. Piping hot! No Ramases revenge at this hotel!!! Rooms are huge and most have a view of the sea from one angle or another. Another nice touch is the large flat-screen tv with quite a few english channels. The only criticism i had of the rooms is that there is NO tea or drinks making facilities provided. These have to be hired at a cost of roughly £2.50 per day. Not what you expect from a five star hotel. The views are quite spectacular. Across the Gulf of Aquaba is Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Israel all within a few kms of each other. Eilat in Israel is well worth a day out and you can do it much cheaper than tour operator prices by simply taking a taxi, for a few dollars, to the border and getting a taxi into Eilat on the Israeli side. Plenty of shops and nightlife to be found. The trip into Jordan and the lost city of Petra is well worth the effort and is an amazing experience not to be missed. It's huge, much more than i was expecting! We travelled with Thomson and i must say it was one of the most hassle free holiday experiences we have had. Having had a holiday from hell to the Sunrise Royal Makadi (Allegedly also 5 star????) with Thomas Crook, sorry Cook, last year it was nice to find that all tour operators are not the same. Some do still go out of their way to make your holiday experience as pleasant as possible. The Thomson in-resort rep, Hashem, was very helpful and knowledgeable and was always willing to help, without being overbearing in any way. In summary if you do choose to stay at this hotel you won't be disappointed. The hotel staff are by far the most efficient and friendly (without being overly so) that i have come across. A very, very pleasant experience.

8 Thank roryisgod
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 8 October 2009

My mother (aged 83) and myself spent a wonderful week of vacations in Sofitel Taba Heigths. Accomodation was perfect and the room location and the seafront view were truly beautiful.The overall ambient within the hotel was cosy and friendly, the cuisine excellent and services perfect. Prior to our trip, I have contacted the chief of reception with special requests related to my mother age and preferences. Our request were fully met, with even more special favors than we requested. We have truly appreciated this very thoughtful and kind approach. We will happily recommend your hotel to our relatives, friends and colleagues.

• Stayed September 2009
2 Thank Wolfie3
Newbury
Reviewed 7 October 2009

This is the first time I have ever felt the need to write a review on any holiday we have taken.
The Softel Taba Heights is marketed by Thomson Holidays as "5 Star Luxury" clearly this is absurd.
To get real 5 star luxury you would have to pay £5000 per couple minimum for 14 nights using scheduled airlines, as I have done many times before.

We paid £750 for 14 nights at the Sofitel flying Thomson Airlines....... see the difference ?

Here is my review..
Animation 3/10
Food 4/10
Drinks 3/10
Restaurant Service 3/10

Flights were cramped, cabin crew surly and unhelpfull, food was acceptable... just. Cabin was very cold, take a jacket or jumper as the crew don't care if you are hot or cold.
Luggage arrived safely, a smooth flight.

Transfer to the hotel took 45 mins by a nice coach, however they must travel in convoy for security reasons, so a 1 hour wait on the coach before we could leave, late arrivals holding things up.
Return transfer was smooth and checkin was faultless, took ten mins from arriving at the airport.

The reception area is very grand and the staff efficient and helpful, although not everthing is understood by them. I would not call them flexible however.

Medical facilities are a real suprise, there is 24 hr access to a Doctor who lives on the complex with his family, He has a small clinic, Consultations and Treatments are Completely free of charge, as are the drugs he dispenses. I have never seen this before anywhere !

The complex is large, it took ten mins to walk to our room from reception, it is quite green with lawns and some flower borders together with palm trees, some have died and others on closer inspection turned out to be mobile phone masts, there are three on the complex ! There are some sports facilities too.

The beach is of imported sand and contains some small stones, but only a few. Lots of sunbeds with shade and the windbreaks are a very nice touch. Beach shoes are a must as the foreshore is rocky but once in the sea it's lovely. Shallow out to the reef, maybe 50m where you can see a lot of fish and other sea life, there are also some sea snakes.
There are numerous well designed pools, some for kids and a saltwater pool, not very crowded as there are ample sunbeds.

Our room was large and well appointed with a nice sea view, a wetroom was contained within the bathroom. It could have been anywhere....... Our room was kept quite clean, bedlinnen only changed once during our stay but fresh towels each day.

The complex is very well maintained, a credit to everyone involved. however the lifts don't always work, we got stuck in for a short while. also it did take three requests to get our aircon fixed, it was leaking some chemical.

At night the hotel and grounds looked very good, the lighting was very effective. On the beach in front of the main pool was a re-creation of a Bedouin Camp where you were able to sit and relax, drink tea or smoke a shisha pipe, a nice touch.
However, one of my biggest gripes was the need to flood every area of the hotel and grounds with music, most of it quite loud with a very strong bass. I found it almost impossible to find a quiet place at certain times of the day, extremely annoying !!
This was also the case in the main restaurant.... Some people just want to relax and not be forced to listen to loud music.

Animation or what you might laughably call entertainment, was rubbish, simple as that.

The food on offer was just passable. Very repetetive and not terribly appetising. However the breakfasts were good, especially the chef preparing fresh omelettes or fried eggs, he turned this into a very entertaining art form. Lunch could be quite good, sometimes. but dinner in the evening was generally a non-event. Wine is only served during lunch and dinner and is very poor quality, water is only ever served by the glass, you cannot have a bottle on your table ! how stupid is that ? some food inevetably gets re-cycled, a good example of which would be an evening barbecue of Tandoori chicken, the surplus being served for lunch the following day as breaded chicken, Tandoori is hard to disguise as you would imagine. Two out of our party of four had severe stomach upsets, one other less severe, we cannot say for sure what was the cause but I'm sure the food played a part.

As for the drinks on offer, don't expect anything fancy, you may have local spirits and beer, fruit juice or soft drinks 11am to 11pm, not realy all inclusive is it ? the so called cocktails are a disgrace, more like dishwater. They haven't got a clue.

Restaurant Service is patchy at best and diabolical at worst. The majority of waiters are lazy and disinterested, but there are some true stars who work thier socks off. Don't bother tipping the waiters, it makes not a jot of difference to the service you receive.

The first week of our holiday was during the muslim feast of Eiad at the end of rammadan. It was a mistake, you should avoid at all costs any muslim festival or holiday. At these times the hotel is flooded with Arabs and Muslims enjoying thier break. However the hotel revolves around these guests and totaly changes the character and mood of the hotel. Service to other guests gets markedly worse and the public toilets are a disgrace !!

I would say £350 for a week here is top money, but no more.

Choose wisely, you could may do better.

4 Thank Ajax2001
liverpool
Reviewed 6 October 2009

My partner and I stayed at the sofitel the first two weeks in september. We wanted a quiet relaxing holiday, and got exactly what we wanted. I find this the best time to travel because the kids have gone back to school then. The hotel was below capacity, but still quite busy. We never had a problem getting a bed by the pool. We never cued for long to get drinks. Only once did we have to wait for dinner for half an hour. (so you just go an have a drink don't ya, simples)

I thought the food was fine. Always plenty to choose from, and always fresh. The waiters are so quick to keep drinks topped up, and remove finished plates. There are a lot of different nationalities that use this hotel, so your not going to get pie an chips every night.
Cleanliness and hygiene are high on the agenda here. I spent two weeks in sharlm, an was sick for most of my stay. In sofitel I was completely fine, as was my partner. As was all the friends we made and people we spoke to.

The staff in the sofitel are wonderful. A special thank you to Osman an Ali, the animation team. They made the days fun, an do a good job keeping people entertained. Mohamed in the smoking tent on the beach, and to Walid the waiter. For keeping me drunk for two weeks.

The night time entertainment could be better, but Taba Heights is very isolated. So there is not going to be the same entertainment as you'd get in the likes of Spain. So to all the people moaning about this, then maybe you should plan your holidays better.
I personally enjoyed the dancing entertainment.

There is a place just down the road from sofitel called castle Zaman. Oh my God. You have to visit this place. Look it up on google. Probably better for couples or small families. I took the phone number with me and rang from the hotel. I spkoe to a lovely Canadian girl, who arranged for a taxi to pick us up an take us home. £10 each way, then £40 that includes use of all the facilities and your meal. The lamb was probably the tastiest meal I've ever had.

I done the snorkeling boat trip, i would recommend this. Had a great day out.
I also done the quad biking, don't bother unless you like going slow and in file.

So I had a fantastic holiday, an will definitely be going back.

3 Thank phil112
Worcestershire
Reviewed 5 October 2009

We wanted a relaxing holiday, and that's exactly what we got. The weather was superb, 34 degrees at 5.00pm, the room was excellent as was the food. The staff were very freindly and they looked after us very well indeed.
The restaurant assistant 'Mohamed' was first class and helped us throughout the week, and you should be selective when you choose to eat in order to miss the peak periods as we did. The local drinks are OK and we enjoyed what we had ordered.
The Front Office Manager 'Mohamed Hammady' couldn't have done enough for us, and made our stay perfect.
The room was clean and well looked after, we didn't realy need to use the fridge in the room other than to keep our complimentary water cold. There were plenty of drinks available throughout the day.
We too stayed during the end of ramadam and saw an influx of locals 'feasting'! Educational.
The pools are superb as is the beach front with walks across the front of the Hyatt Regency, Marriot and the Intercontinental hotels, especially when taken early in the mornings. The presence of security guards is comforting.
The ambience in the hotel is very relaxing with plenty of space to sun bathe, the staff were courteous at all times.
The Egyptian people are probably the most hospitable we have met on any foreign holiday.
We would definately go back to this hotel.

5 Thank Hawkeye26
East Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2009

We are avid readers of Trip Advisor reviews and use the site regularly as an aid to choosing the right place to stay on holiday. However we have never felt the need to place a review - until now! It just incenses us so much that people who stayed at the Sofitel at the same time as us, can write such scathing rubbish about this hotel.

My husband and I stayed at the Sofitel for 2 weeks in September and had a wonderful holiday – We have holidayed all over the world and although this was our first visit to Taba, we have been to Egypt 5 times and I can honestly say that while the Sofitel was not perfect it certainly exceeded our expectations. From the moment we checked in we were made to feel most welcome, our room was huge, it was in block 3 and it had a king size bed with a separate seating area of 2 three seater sofas & 3 coffee tables! It was always very clean and the towels & sheets were changed regularly. In fact the whole hotel was spotlessly clean, everywhere you turned there were staff cleaning from early morning through to late at night.

The food was always fresh and varied and of a high standard. I am a vegetarian and often have problems finding varied food abroad, but at the Sofitel I had no such problems. Both my husband (a definite carnivore) and I always found plenty to choose from that was well cooked and tasty. A definite favourite were the huge omelettes at breakfast (the chef could cook an amazing 6 at once!) the many varied soups, freshly baked bread and pastries, Spanish chicken, lamb koftas, mousakka and several curries (I could go on - the list is endless!). The Indonesian head chef was often seen checking the buffet and asking guests for their comments about the food. All in all a very professionally run service. The waiters were great too, especially Ibrahim, Marco & Ahmed (also Mohammed the cleaner). They always made us feel welcome and while at busy times drinks were maybe a bit slow, you should remember you are on holiday and not everything has to be as fast service as you would find in McDonald’s.

We never had a problem obtaining the sun beds that we liked around the main pool. The pool guys, Mohammed & Osama helped us to save a space each day. We chose to spend our time by the busy pool as taking part in the activities arranged by the animation team (water polo & volleyball) added to the fun of the holiday.

The beach was a bit rocky, but only the first few feet of the shoreline – but that is what a coral reef beach is like. The water temperature was like swimming in a warm bath and the reefs off the shore were teeming with life. There are lots of small reefs within walking distance of the beech at the Sofitel, but we also did the VIP snorkelling boat trip which took us to Pharaoh’s Island – a great day out and well worth the money.

The evening entertainment is a little lacking in variety, but then as we have been to Egypt 5 times, watching the belly dancers and whirling dervish does get a little samey!! However the bar staff (both in the Lotus bar & Sultana bar) were great and an evening spent there relaxing with new friends (hello to those from room 1425 & 1211) and DJ Ali was definitely the best way to end the day.

My comment to the reviewers that complained about the Israeli & Jordanian children at the hotel is - if you don't want children at a hotel go to an adults only one. If we had been at the Sofitel during the British school holidays, I am sure there would have been many more little darlings running around the pool, probably even more disruptive that the ones we encountered. If you book to stay at a hotel with over 440 rooms you have to expect to share it with other holiday makers. Also, why does everyone instantly blame the food in the restaurant for any stomach upsets they have while away? Surely its common sense that a change in diet and climate (40 degree heat will quickly dehydrate most of us Brits) can result in a bit of an upset. But if you make sure you drink plenty of water, wash your hands before eating, and don’t overdo things (especially alcohol) in the heat of the day, you won’t have a problem.

I am a firm believer in a holiday being what you make it. If you go with an open mind, willing to experience other cultures and to make new friends, you will not go far wrong at the Sofitel. You get what you pay for; the Sofitel was reasonably priced and good value for money. I would definitely return and have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to likeminded people who are looking for a relaxing holiday with guaranteed sunshine.

It is unfortunate that some holiday makers just like to whinge about everything! The staff at the hotel have to put up with a lot from some guests. Courtesy and a smile take no effort at all from us, but they pay dividends in return. The staff we met were ALL friendly and helpful and they work so hard all the time. We did tip good service, but it was never expected by any of the staff. I must also add that Hashem the Thomson/First Choice rep was excellent – always available, helpful and a really nice guy!

My only issues with the Hotel were that now the 3rd block of rooms has been added, when the hotel is at full occupancy (as it was on the last day of our stay) we did have to queue for a table at lunch. The wait was not long, but if the hotel had been full for all of our stay, I know I would have found this annoying and frustrating. An extra (or larger) restaurant should be next on the development list if Management want to improve the Sofitel further. Also, yes the hotel was very busy at the end of Ramadan and the behaviour of some guests left a lot to be desired –I don’t know any hotel that finds it acceptable to have scooters & bikes in the restaurant & pool! But to give staff credit they did try to address these issues, but maybe Management could back up their staff and be a little more robust in keeping things in order. While these things were a bit of a nuisance, I would not allow them to ruin what was essentially a good holiday.

All in all a great holiday – don’t be put off by the negative reviews, some people just can’t be pleased!!

8 Thank Ladders