“So close to excellence”

Sofitel Taba Heights
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Taba
Reviewed 1 December 2009

First of all, something to get off my chest. Star ratings are NOT some form of international standard. A 5 star in Sharm, Taba, Marsa or Hurghada are not going to be the same as a 5 star in England, New York or for that matter Rwanda. Its a local guide and whilst you might expect a 5 star anywhere in the world to be better than a 3 star just down the road it doesn't mean they're all going to have trouser presses, minibars and free wifi in your room.

Down to the hotel, efficient check in, bags arrived promptly, room was spotless and remained so throughoput stay. I'd suggest its worth the bit extra for a view across to Jordan / Saudi but thats a personal choice.

Clearly the location allows (relatively) easy access to places like Jerusalem and Petra and the rest of Taba Heights such as it is, and two of the three accomodation blocks are yards from the main pools and beach. Design and layout of the hotel is both pleasing on the eye and gives ease of access to all you need.

From the beach you can access the coral areas from a couple of points and the snorkelling is reasonably good. Its not like some of the famous house reefs in the Sharm area but that would be an unfair comparison. We saw a fair range of aquatic life including octopus, rays and an abundance of lion fish. PLEASE don't destroy the reef and please tell those who climb on it and dive from it that they are destroying the place. Best snorkelling from the hotel is accessed by using the sea entry point rather than the pier and heading left towards Hyatt Regency.

Spa and fitness facilities are good and the 'animation' group do a decent job without getting in your face trying to recruit you each day.

Food wise I wouldn't want to see a narrower range and I think vegetarians might get used to sauteed vegetables, but what there was we found to be good by Egyptian standards. There are enough staff but it doesn't always feel like it and I think there is a lack of leadership and management in the restaurants. Sometimes your drink is topped up every 5 minutes and sometimes you have to go hunting around for the coffee pot to even get a drink. Its a bit of a shame as this would elevate the hotel from good / v good to excellent in my book.

Bear in mind the location isn't at all like Sharm which we heard a few people moaning about. Really thats down to you to do your homework before you travel. We all know Eastbourne isn't the same as Blackpool after all.

3  Thank PGBakes
There are newer reviews for Sofitel Taba Heights

Reviewed 1 December 2009

I have recently returned home from a fantastic two week holiday at the 5* Sofitel Taba Heights (3rd Nov – 17th Nov).

I would like to thank ALL the staff for making it one of the most memorable holidays that I’ve ever been on.

As an ex Travel Agent and solo traveller I have come across many hotels on my travels, but none as friendly as this one.

The staff go out of their way to keep up the high standards of service, are very friendly and extremely helpful.

The rooms are spacious, fresh and like the whole hotel complex, immaculately clean and well maintained.

A sun-drenched oasis awaits you. Take a dip in one of the hotels swimming pools, salt, cold, warm or chill out in one of the Jacuzzi’s. From a nice sandy / pebble beach you can watch the world go by or take a short walk on the jetty to see the fish swim beneath your feet.

The recreation team (Big Mohammed, Little Mohammed, Salem, Serif and friends) will look after you, from finding you your perfect sunbathing spot to applying icepacks! Many thanks to Big Mohammed for that.

Thank you to all for the concern over my recuperating broken foot. You will be glad to hear that the swelling has now gone down.

Hesham and his animation team will entertain you and keep you occupied, from belly dancing, water aerobics to yoga. For the more energetic try your hand at beach volleyball. And those who just want to relax, sit back, watch and enjoy.

Congratulations to Islam for a very well run restaurant.

Compliments to the chefs, Ibrahim, Ahmed etc… the food was excellent. A wide variety of dishes to suit all number of palats and an array of desserts that melts in your mouth. Make sure you have lunch and dinner you won’t be disappointed. But be prepared to go on a DIET when you get home!

The kids are well looked after and seem to enjoy taking part in the adult activities as well as their own. It’s nice to see all age groups having fun.

Reda, Salah and friends will be happy to make you a cocktail or two at the Lotus Bar. And if you can tear yourself away from the Lotus after the evening entertainment go and boogie on down in the Sultana Bar to the sounds of DJ Ali and let Osman and Chico show you some of their dance moves.

The Egyptians capture your heart, warm-hearted and more like a family I wouldn’t hesitate in calling the Sofitel Taba my second home. I have met so many new friends, staff and guests.

You get the 5* thumbs up from me.

From the warmest of welcomes to the sadness of goodbyes, believe me you won’t want to leave!

Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened

Until next time my friends… X

Insha'allah

Debbie

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank Manxlegs
Reviewed 30 November 2009

I treated my mum to this holiday for her 50th birthday, we had such a relaxing time.
The hotel is situated on a private strip of beach facing Jordan, so there were lot's of beautful views to enjoy whilst lazing around on the beach.
We were all inclusive and every night they had a different themed dinner one night they had italian then french etc etc and not forgetting a fantastic Egyptian night.
The hotel was immaculatley clean the rooms were done thoroughly everyday.
All staff were extremely friendly and helpful.
If it's a more active holiday you are looking for they had a water world rep on the beach giving you all the info about diving and water sports etc etc you could also do your own snorkling of the hotels private jetti.
There were also recreational teams that supplied cards,chess etc etc.
Although I left my 2 year old behind it is definatley somewhere I would take him they had a fab lookng kids club with a mini pool and all the staff were great with the kids with lot's of activities for them to do.
All in all an amazing holiday would definatley reccomend to friends and family.

• Stayed: November 2009
2  Thank Aimeec1984
Reviewed 26 November 2009

We stayed at the Sofitel Taba Heights for 7 nights and we must say that we were very impressed. The hotel itself looked new and fresh, the entry into the large foyer with fountain and pillars was very impressive and set the tone for the rest of the week. The room was nicely appointed, the shower area was spacious and the aircon was very adjustable and worked well. The walls were a bit thin and you could here movement from neighbouring rooms but nothing that bothered us greatly. The service we received was second to none, whether it was at the bar, the restuarants or reception, all the staff were friendly, courteous and helpful.

The hotel itself has been well thought out with regards to location, which means that the curved blocks give a nice view over the hotel grounds and the Red Sea. While walking along the beach front area, we both agreed that the Sofitel was the nicest looking hotel of the four that we could see. The beach itself was very well kept with plenty of seating arrangements, but we mainly stayed around the pool areas (five to choose from!) and these were also well equipped with sun beds and umbrellas. The pools themselves were very clean and well maintained. The two open air jacuzzis were nice but the water jets lack a bit of power. The gardens and grassed areas around the hotel were very well maintained and very attractive.

There were plenty of things of things to keep you occupied in the way of water sports, diving, sailing, snorkelling etc, excursions were there if you wanted them. We took the one day VIP cruise option and it was very well organised and enjoyable.

We went all inclusive and we must say that the food was fantastic with plenty of choice and lots of international variety, the service was attentive and swift without being pushy or in your face. The drinks were all ok and again, the bar staff were very helpful and friendly. All in all the whole experience was very good and there is no doubt that we shall return to the Sofitel Taba Heights in the not too distant future. It might sound a bit cheesy, but there really was nothing to fault about the whole place. Someone has clearly thought long and hard about the whole package and (for us at least) has got it just right!

5  Thank FishboyHerts
Reviewed 26 November 2009

This as our second visit to the sofitel having first stayed in June 2009.It was even better the second time around.There is nothing I can fault about this hotel and the ever friendly and helpful staff make it such a lovely experience.I would like to especially mention Ahmed in the restaurant , Hesham restaurant supervisor and Osama from the recreation team who could not do enough for us during our stay.
The choice of food was vast and delicious.The rooms were spacious and the sea view was amazing. Everywhere was immaculate . I would reccommend this hotel to my friends and family, and as my job is a travel agent I would have no hesitation in sending clients to the sofitel.
I will almost certainly be returning to the Softiel again where I know I will recieve a very warm welcome.

1  Thank aandrEssex
Reviewed 25 November 2009

We had been a bit fussy about our room before we left and had booked a junior suite, No great expense,but the room exceeded our expectations.The balcony was twice as large as the room, which was very large.The view was tremendous and the cleanliness and service were great.The service in the hotel was very good but was less so in the main restaurent.but there was an alternative which was good.Entertainment in the evening was minimal and there was very little to do in the area,but there was a very good ,free, coach trip around all the hotels in Taba Heights. Excellent holiday

1  Thank knockems
Reviewed 24 November 2009

Our holiday was pure relaxation and if you are looking for sunshine and a restful holiday this is the perfect place. The Sofitel Taba Heights offers excellent service, various restaurants and nothing is too much trouble. The location is beautiful looking over Jordon which you can visit for the day. For the golfer there is a championship golf course 5 mins away which is ideal. The beach is lovely (even if a little rocky) but when you have 4 large swimming pools to choose from this does not cause a problem. The pools are spacious and sunbathing is very tranquil. You can join in with various activities if require but if you’re like me you just put your feet up!

1  Thank TootieYorkshire