“This hotel can give 5 stars only in jest.”

Sofitel Taba Heights
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Taba
Moscow
“This hotel can give 5 stars only in jest.”
Reviewed 15 January 2010

I stayed at hotel 4 days. All pretty good. Although this hotel can give 5 stars only in jest. But the front desk staff - it is terrible. I had a check in the amount greater than the bill. And nobody could not explain why. Especially disgusting behaved Karim. I pre-ordered the transfer to Taba border. At 14:00. But the car I was given only at 15:00 (not a taxi, but a private car, apparently an acquaintance), and nobody even thought to apologize. Only the porter two days later brought me to apologize. Despite the fact that I was extremely dissatisfied with this situation, the manager Karim depicted complete equanimity and indifference. If it was a transfer to the airport, the hotel would have the big probleme. Rather than call the car immediately, he quietly sorted out some minor details, or don't answer in my questions - when will the car.We had the superior room sea view . But I denied it was a to bring tea and coffee maker. Although it is written in the site of hotel. Explaining this fact that I have a standard room. I have paid their attention, that it not standard, but a superior room. But to me have answered only: for a standard room it is not provided tea and coffee maker. I suggest you to appreciate such answer. We also don't found no bathrobes, slippers, hair conditioners and creams, fruits basket who there are in superior twin room, which my and my wife mistakenly offered (I ordered a king bed). The front desk hotel personnel don't fit the standard even for the hotel **.Also, don't order in the room the hot meals. Brought us the beef fillet of theatrical props. It was dried numerous heated to a state inedible. But the dessert was a delicacy. Even highly recommend the restaurant Asiatique.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Moscow
Reviewed 15 January 2010

We had the superior room sea view . But I denied it was a to bring tea and coffee maker. Although it is written in the site of hotel. Explaining this fact that I have a standard room. Amazing stupidity. We also don't found no bathrobes, slippers, hair conditioners and creams, fruits basket who there are in superior twin room, which my and my wife mistakenly offered (I ordered a king bed). The front desk hotel personnel don't fit the standard even for the hotel **.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aion
Bramleyt
Reviewed 14 January 2010

I read all the reviews before we left and was worried about the 'said' dirty rooms, lack of food hygeine, bad tummy....blah blah blah.

BUT lets face it, if you want 5 * luxury you have to pay for it. We paid £3,800 for 14 nights, all inclusive for 5 of us and it was worth it. I recon my kids ate that in ice creams! and we def drank it in red wine!!

There are five of us in our family, me and my husband and 3 kids 2,5 & 7. My 5 year old is suffering from a life limiting condition and needs constant care and attention. We arrived after a very very good flight and transfer. Everyone we encountered on our way couldnt of been more helpful with us and out little ones.

First impression of hotel was great. Checking in was efficient, quick and v friendly, considering about 100 people were waiting, the queue was dealt with swiftly.

We had two interconnecting rooms, which were spacious and clean. We slept there, showered and that was it. It was cleaned constantly and well and all our clothes were folded and put away each day! great, wish we had him at home to do that!!!

The staff were lovely. I agree that the 'middle ground senior staff' were a tad 'grumpy'... but in general the staff were all lovely and fabulous with kids, they made an effort to get to know you and make life easier at each meal time. We (unlike others) didnt tip the waitors (until the end) but they never the less were fantastic and very attentive. A few we met said tipping helped but we didnt until we were leaving and couldnt fault the lovely staff everywhere in the hotel.

First couple of days were cloudy, but warmed up at lunch time.

New Years eve was fantastic - apart from the cocktails before hand, every thing was great and the staff were fantastic and worked hard to make it a special night.

Round the pool(s) There is always something going on for everyone. The staff that run the entertainment work hard to get people involved and it works because every activity was full of eager participants.

The food - food was great. how can you please everyone? There was loads of choice and it was varied. If you decide to go to an all inclusive hotel where there is a buffet it will be a 'buffet' Choose your food wisely rather than eating everything at every meal and it will be fine. Kids loved it and tried different foods. We ate well. Wasnt five star luxury but as I said, you get what you pay for and it was far better than I expected - food was hot and I didnt see any of the hygeine problems highlighted in other reviews. And I was anal due to the previous bad reviews........
Wine - didnt think the red wine was great on night one, but actually looking back if it were that bad, we wouldnt of drunk that much.

Asiatique restaurant - you have to pay for this. We had 2 birthdays whilst there and so visited the asiatique restaurant. We sat and watched chef cook (he cooks your order in front of you) . Food was fatanstic, kids loved it, we loved it and price was v v reasonable compared to a meal of that quality at home. Recommend it! Very lovey dovey couple 'ee' but that didnt bother us.

It isnt a lively resort, probably not the best holiday for teenagers, evening entertainment not great.........but we booked this on Christmas Eve after a terrible year wanting relaxation and some warm times and it was perfect. Snorkelling for my 7 year old was fab, he met other kids and was kept entertained constantly and he has since said it was one of his best holidays....and he is well travelled.

my only critisism is there are lots of Russians staying in the hotel and they have a totally different approach to life and mentality with their kids than we do. Without offending anyone, they werent the friendliest of people and the children were pretty unruly and thought that they ruled the roost (even coming into the kid free gym and playing on the equipment, even afterbeing told to leave!!,..... every night!!!). Taking the table tennis bats and balls back to their rooms at night so none of the other kids could play was a tad annoying but our kids got used to it and found other sports to entertain themeselves.

THAT is my only critisism. this was a bargain holiday for 5 of us and we all had a fab time, and came back to uk relaxed and ready for 2010..........!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank familyof5fromsurrey
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2010

A good choice for a week in the sun. While the hotel facilities are five star, the experience was more four star but we were happy with most aspects of the holiday for the price. First time since I was a child I've been on a package so wasn't quite sure what to expect. The flights with First Choice weren't very comfortable, the legroom was a joke and the food awful. Flight attendants were a bit surly too. However, we did depart/arrive on time and in one piece.
Taba Heights is a newish and small resort with a few upmarket hotels, small purpose-built village with a few shops, watersports centre and a golf course. The Sofitel is one of the older hotels but has been designed well and is well maintained. The rooms were big and comfortable but ours lacked tea/coffe facilities and had no ironing board which was okay by me but my friend hates creases and loves coffee. I would have loved a bath but the room only had a shower, which is fair enough.
While the hotel isn't quiet at the high-end of the luxury scale it is comfortable, spotless and relaxed and the staff are friendly and polite.
All-inclusive meals were buffet and were adequate but nothing overly special. It got a little bit sameish after a week though. Neither of us had any tummy troubles and we both ate well every day. They do make an effort to have variety and always had plenty salad and different themed nights; Indian, Chinese, Egytian, Mexican. There were lots of Russians holidaying there and we witnessed some pretty poor behaviour from some of them towards the staff; very rude at times which annoyed us a bit as the staff couldn't do more to take care of us.
We did a day-trip to Petra which was expensive at 135 British pounds but it was worth every penny and very well organised.
If you're looking for a chill-out week and are not expecting Ritz Carlton or Mandarin Oriental standards then this would be ideal. I'd certainly go back but I'd fly with another airline or book extra legroom seats.

Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
England
Reviewed 11 January 2010

My partner and I stayed at the hotel from the 29th to the 5th of Decemeber 2009. I will summarise my review into easy to read bullet points on all the different aspects of the holiday.

1) The airport - tiny tiny tiny. But your only in there for a few hours on the way home so no big deal. Please be aware of the men who work in the airport, especially around the toliets. This is our second trip to taba and on the first trip i had a bad experience when one of the male toliet attendents followed me INTO the toliets, trying to take my picture on his camera phone, luckily my finacee stopped him. This time one the way home, one several of the male workers were blowing me kisses and making innappropriate gestures as we sat in the terminal waiting to leave. This made me very uncomfortable, but it got worse when one guy came over and sat opposite me and my partner and lent forward to touch my leg and ask my partner if he could take my picture, when he said no he spent about 10 minutes arguing with him saying he would pay him for a picture of me. It got so bad that i got up and moved to a different area of the terminal so i could sit in the middle of some male friends we had met so the men couldnt get near me. I dont know why they do this, im not stunningly beautiful or anything and i was covered up! Just be aware and dont let them intimidate you.

2)the Hotel - the hotel was lovely, very clean, the pools were very clean, beach etc etc. Jetty was good for snorkeling off, although full of RUDE RUSSIANS who insist on stomping across the corral, which kills it and spoils snorkeling for others. I actually saw one russian man snap a peice of the corral off and keep it. If you see this tell them to stop.

3)The room- the room was lovely, we had a sea view room, it was lovely, above the pool, with a lovely view over the pool, beach and ocean, very pretty. The bed was huge and very comfortable. The bathroom had a huge walk in shower, really nice.

4)The restaurants - we were on the all inclusive package, so we ate in the main restaurant, which has a smaller restaurant on the other side for overspill. The smaller restaurant has a different name, but don't be fooled it serves exactly the same food! The service is good, not great, sometimes very quick, sometimes never happened!

5)The food. well i have to say i am not a fussy eater at all, and neither is my partner, but the food here was just not up to standard, with the exception of breakfast, which is ok. The food was always warm, not hot, and there for only a couple of choices each night. Most of the food is aimed towards the russians or french, and the meat used is REALLY poor standard. Now i know this is egypt and i didnt expect fantastic food, but having stayed at the radission in taba 2 years ago, i know the food can be really good.
The meal they put on for NYE was fantastic, fresh seafood and actual meat that you could recognise, so why wasnt it like this every night?

6)the staff - the staff are very friendly, very good, enough said. They really are lovely.

We certainly had a very enjoyable and relaxing holiday, so we can't complain. But i wanted to let others know that this is not a 5 star hotel, more like a good 3 star. If your looking for a cheapish week in the sun, and to not do alot, then this is a good choice, although if we went back, we would stay at the marriott down the road as we went there for lunch one day and it was MUCH quieter than the Sofietel and the pool/beach area was nicer. And the food was amazing. The Sofietel is great for families with kids, there were LOTS of kids!

We went quadbiking - highly recommend it, was so much fun :-) And we did an introduction to the red sea dive, it was so much fun and our instructor, Isabelle, was brilliant, we went down to 6 metres and we saw so many beautiful fish. These two trips cost 200 pounds for the both of us.

Hope this review is helpful, if you've already booked, go and have a really relaxing time, just watch the food, as both myself and my partner still have upset stomachs now!

Norfolk
Reviewed 10 January 2010

We loved our two weeks at the Sofitel over Christmas and New Year. The nativity play on Christmas Eve was delightful and the New Year’s Eve gala in the marquee on the beach was really great. Hello to everyone on Table 32.

The staff are friendly, helpful and polite - they all work long hours and I believe some worked round the clock on new year’s eve and were still smiling at breakfast the next day. The hotel is nicely decorated up for Christmas and the cocktail parties were a lovely touch.

Rooms are fairly spacious and ours was well looked after by Hassan. We were in Block 1 which is probably the oldest and some areas/rooms could do with a bit of a makeover but this is to be expected.

The location is great, just yards to walk from the rooms, to the pools, to the beach. We had fantastic weather with just a couple of cloudy days and even then the sun broke through at lunchtime. We looked over the other hotels and felt the Sofitel was the best.

The pool and beach areas are cleaned and tidied up each evening and the gardens are continually maintained by the staff. Even when the hotel was probably near to capacity for our second week, you could always get sunbeds by the pool or on the beach.

Special thanks to my new friend, Head Chef Mr Wahid Elashry and his team of chefs. The variety of dishes cooked up each day was really good and there was always something different to choose – the soups each day were delicious and the sea bass excellent. The buffet at the new year’s eve gala was superb, there was even a sushi bar.

Thank you also to the waiters in the Mediterranean restaurant who brought out a cake plus candle and sang happy birthday to me.

Hello to Mai who I think is on a well earned break at present. The cocktail party on our last night was a nice touch - I know it is a good PR exercise but still very nice.

The spa is also good, the Thai ladies are lovely and do a great foot massage!

All in all, this is a great hotel for chilling out which is all we did - no excursions and early to bed so didn’t sample the entertainment apart from new year!

Manchester, England
Reviewed 10 January 2010

We stayed at this hotel over Christmas and New Year (22 Dec to 5th Jan). Up until the last couple of days of our holiday we couldn't fault the hotel,. Everything was top notch, especially the effort they made over Christmas.
However, we did have a couple of complaints. The main restaurant has supposedly got a dress code and there is a notice on the door indicating no swimwear, bare feet, bare chests etc, however, one lunchtime a family came in to the restaurant dripping wet, 2 youths in swimshorts and a girl in a bikini and no shoes. The staff did not seem bothered and when we complained to the waiter and then manager of the restaurant, they said they had told the guests but they had ignored them. The staff told them five times that they weren't allowed in but as they were ignored, staff said they were powerless to intervene further. That same evening, a man came into the restaurant in swim shorts and vest and again no staff intervened. Also, on other occasions in the restaurant, there was a child throwing a ball around, a girl on a scooter and one playing with a skipping rope but again no staff intervened. There should obviously be someone on the door of the restaurant telling people they can't come in if they do not conform to the dress code and display reasonable behaviour but there wasn't. We also told another manager about this problem but were told they were powerless to stop such behaviour. We have never had a problem like this in any other hotel we have stayed in, so this one is obviously doing something wrong and by not enforcing a rule, we felt that they were favouring this type of guest over the vast majority of other guests who conformed to the rule.
Our other complaint occurred when our flight home was delayed due to snow in the uk. Obviously this had nothing to do with the hotel, but even though guests had been told that the all inclusive was in force until the guests left, at 3pm on our leaving day when we should originally have left the hotel, guests were told that they could no longer have anything to eat or drink. This carried on until the evening, when, after much argument with staff and rep's intervention, we were told begrudgingly that we could have an evening meal with 'one soft drink'. We think that this was really petty behaviour from the hotel and bad PR as they were quite aware that the arriving passengers on our flight had been delayed indefinitely and so the new guests were not going to be arriving anytime soon that evening and partaking of any food or drink. Later we were transferred to the Intercontinental hotel to spend the night, who accommodated us admirably. Because of this treatment by the Sofitel, if we were to revisit the Taba Heights area in the future we would choose the Intercontinental rather than Sofitel.
Just a note about the Taba Heights area - there is nothing there! The few shops that there are were mainly closed. If you just want to relax and to dive / snorkel (snorkelling superb!) or play golf then this area is ok but if you want anything more than this, eg town with atmosphere to walk round, bars etc to go to then forget Taba Heights.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taba
Taba Hotel and Nelson Village
Melony Hotel
#41 of 62 in Eilat
Movenpick Resort Taba Hotel
Strand Beach and Golf  Resort Taba Heights

Been to Sofitel Taba Heights? Share your experiences!