“OH MY GOD” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Taba
uk
“OH MY GOD”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2009

The first sight is that horrid airport and for a moment I thought OH MY GOD, what have I let myself in for?. Glad to say the hotel and staff were all lovely. Food plentiful, drnk v.expensive, but you have a choice, think detox and you will save a bundle.

2 Thank petal25

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2009

Well this is my first review on trip advisor so you'll have to bare with me.
I have been to the Marriott for the last 2 summers and am going again in 5 weeks. I went with my family the first year & thoroughly enjoyed it i took my boyfriend back there last year & he enjoyed it so much we are going back this June to celebrate our 21st birthdays.
I honestly cannot say a bad thing about the Marriott. the staff are friendly and couldnt do enough for you, the hotel is run very well so thats a compliment to management. When i went with my family in 2007 we were invited to the general managers cocktail party in the presidential suite as my parents were returning guests, which was lovely for that to be recognised. My parents have since returned to the Marriott every year since 2006 and are equally impressed on every return.
Its a complete chill-out week which for two 21 year year olds that work all year & only have a week off is all we want to do.
Room service couldnt be better, fresh sheets, towels, and things made out of the towels with petals scattered on the bed.
I cannot fault the food. There is choice, variety & the chef is always willing to rustle up something just for you should you not like anything on offer. Yes it does get a bit samey towards the end of the week but i have never been to a half board hotel and not thought that.
The only mild negative thing i can say is that at the airport people hassle you to help carry your bags which we didnt mind as we gave them £1 each which they appreciate & gives us a chance to not have to carry our suitcases to the coach. But again that is not a complaint as they have to earn a living some how. If you are not willing to give them 1 english pound then i suggest you hold firmly onto your suitcases when you exit the airport. Ladies- i also recommended taking a packet of tissues or wet wipes to the airport as they stand outside the toilets & try to charge you for the paper.
Hope this review helps you & i will write a new review when i return from my trip at the end of June.

4 Thank Surrey_Lola
Exeter
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2009

Bit of a mixed review this one... The hotel itself is nice for a beach break, pleasant rooms etc. We went in January and enjoyed the amount of space in the resort, we would imagine that it could get very crowded in peak season, making space on beach/by pool more crammed. The food was not bad at all, absolutely fine for a week's break. We had a special dinner at the italian one night and would recommend it. Nice staff, very clued up though on how to get tips which we always find uncomfortable.
One big drawback is the price of drinks- very expensive which was a shame for us as there was little choice about where to go for a night out. From memory it was £8.50 for a vodka and lemonade. Another area that irritated us was the price of the trip to Petra (approx £200 each for the day). There was no negotiation about this, and the operator had a monopoly in the resort. Petra was amazing but sadly our tour guide did his best to ruin the trip by playing the indiana jones theme tune on his phone as we approached the treasury- not what we would expect from a high end priced trip.
Overall, from a couple who shiver at the prospect of package tours this was not a bad stay, and of course the area itself is beautiful. The visit coincided with a special birthday and I was impressed with the individual I contacted before getting there who managed to organise a few nice extras in the room- good service in that respect.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank The_Hilltons
janheesbeen, General Manager at The Bay View Resort Taba Heights, responded to this review, 16 May 2009
Dear Guest,

I am actually a bit disapointed on how you scored my hotel service was good and attention to detail was good and you said that food was good You blamed us for the cost of a trip to petra and the indiana Jones theme song. The LE towards the pound has devaluated and your Sterling is worth less then before. Only 7 months ago the Sterling was worth 12 LE. I do not control the rates of exchange and also do not control the prices of the tour operators. We have not increased our prices for food and beverage since March 2008

Thanks on behalf of the 300 marriott associates.

Jan G Heesbeen
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2009

Amazing hotel, hotel staff was very friendly and the food was really good. Place is relaxing and beach is amazing.

• Liked — belly dancers
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Nuni1982
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2009

I have to say the most useful thing about our holiday was reading the candid reviews of past travellers - thanks very much for your insight, it really prepared us for the trip ! We spent a week there and let me say, it is an idyllic spot if you like doing nothing but sitting on the beach or by the pool and reading. Beware - if you are an active traveller, and enjoy thumping nightlife and the buzz of a local city, this is not for you. But therein lies the charm of this place. The majority of guests here would be in the 50+ age bracket, and it is not ideal for young people looking for nightclubs and street markets. It is the ideal place to recharge your batteries, but if you get bored easily and crave constant activity, then this is so not the place for you. Overhearing fellow guests complaining that there weren't British themed pubs around the place and not being able to get the Sun newspaper made me laugh. Try Sharm if you can't handle the thought of travelling to another country and experiencing a different culture.

The hotel is no more than a 4 star rating - very nice and great value for money, and very very quiet. The snorkelling is great and best accessed by walking to the Sofitel to the left and out onto the jetty - the water is crystal clear and the fish are stunning.

The food is great and a massive selection of different foods - we ate everything and didnt get ill in any way - of course, drink bottled water and dont touch the stuff that comes out of the tap ! The drinks are pricey (London prices) but when you get there, check out the range of happy hours at the bars and you can end up getting 2 beers for 3 quid - great deals. The staff are lovely and really friendly, I was very impressed with their level of service. Remember - you are in Egypt so dont expect immediate service, just "go with the flow" and please don't embarress yourself by yelling at the staff when they take more than 5 minutes to fetch you a drink. It doesn't do any favours to Europeans !

There is one significant downside to this experience and it doesn't involve the Marriott. It is Taba airport. I have travelled in many 3rd world countries and I can safely say without any exaggeration that the airport is absolutely vile. Do NOT use the loos at the airport or you dice with death if you do. Use the loos at the hotel before you head to the airport and hang on until your flight leaves. The airport is air conditioned with the scent of raw sewerage which meant that most people in the waiting rooms had to cover their faces in order not to feel ill. Generally you leave the hotel at 8pm to catch the flight at midnight which leaves you with 4 or so hours to write your last will and testament at the airport. Those who have gone through this airport would agree. Our flight was delayed which meant that we spent 5 hours cooped up in a waiting room on cold metal benches while the locals walk around and smoke everywhere - even though there are no smoking signs throughout the place. But hey, it's an experience but as it was at the end of the week, it really ended the holiday on a bad note.

So - go for a realxing holiday. I would only go for a week as I would get so bored I would start climbing the walls after a fortnight. Take plenty of books and use the hotel as a quiet relaxing stay. If you have kids, this is not the place to take them.

2 Thank worldtravellerplus99
janheesbeen, General Manager at The Bay View Resort Taba Heights, responded to this review, 11 May 2009
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for taking the time to write about your experience at the Resort. Thanks for the nice comments I will share them with the 300 Marriott Associates.
I am addressing the issue related to the airport with the appropriate authorities and we will make sure that these situations will be dealt with.
We look forward seeing you back again real soon.
Jan G Heesbeen
Brighton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2009

Would highly recommend this hotel for everything one needs to totally 'chill out'.we have just returned and had a most fabulous holiday lying on the beach,reading ,eating too much and being bone idle.We did visit the Monestry of St,Katherine which I would recommend taking a long sleeved blouse/t shirt,shirt.,and long trousers.
Newspapers are very expensive on the hotel beach but discovered on the last day they can be bartered for.We will definately be going back and the sooner the better.The best courteous and charming staff we have ever come across,could not fault this Hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BrightonSusan
South coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2009

After mixed reviews on here I wasn't sure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised overall. We had a sea-front ground floor room which was great as the children could just run out straight on to the beach. The rooms were good (but as I expected, not European Marriott standards) with plenty of space and 2 double beds in each interconnecting room. The pool was great, definitely the best of all of the 4 resort hotels. The best snorkelling was a 10 minute walk away, off the Hyatt regency pier , a great house reef with plenty of life which our children loved. Waterworld had well-organised diving. Hotel food was OK, plenty to eat but rather reminiscent of a school canteen experience unless you manager to get a table on the terrace.
My main gripe with the hotel, (which you will only experience if going on one of the trips to Cairo, Jerusalem or Petra), is that unlike ever other hotel with guests on the trip, the Marriott does NOT provide a breakfast box for guests leaving very early. I would recommend the Longwoods Jerusalem trip as you drive there but fly back which makes a less tiring day. A very enjoyable week.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family