“We would definitely go back”

The Bay View Resort Taba Heights
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Taba
london
“We would definitely go back”
Reviewed 11 September 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Marriott Taba heights the first week on March this year. All in all it was a fantastic holiday. We read lots of reviews before we went and although the majority of them were good we had a little apprehension because of the bad ones. I therefore would like to weigh in on the side of positives reviews.

The hotel was very nice and definitely 5 star. A lot of reviews have stated that the hotel isn’t 5 star and seem to compare them with other hotels in other parts of the world. 5 star is just an assessment based on the facilities and service provided and are not in any way related to ambiance, charm or other subjective criteria.

The rooms were clean and spacious, the pool was really big and had loads of sun loungers, the beach was really close if you wanted that vibe instead of the pool. The lobby and general surroundings were well kept and the restaurants and bars were ok, if a little soulless (we were there in March for a quite week, and we got it, so were happy to be the only people in the bar for a swift drink of an evening).

The food was absolutely fine and we found that being half board was more than sufficient for our needs. We were able to have a late breakfast and got everything one would expect from a hotel buffet breakfast in the Middle East or South East Asia; chicken sausage, beef bacon omelettes and loads of fruits, breads and yogurts etc. On the few occasions that we had lunch in the grotto bar, it was lovely and reasonably priced at about £10-20 for two snacks and coke/beer. However when we ate in the afternoon we were stuffed and generally not hungry for dinner so we usually skipped lunch (must have been the heat). The buffet dinner was likewise totally sufficient for what we needed after a day lazing around the pool. I think a lot of the more negative reviewers have been disappointed because they are expecting 5 star ‘fine-dining’ which this obviously could never be for the price being paid. My wife is vegetarian who doesn’t eat meat or fish but she got something every night and was generally pleased with it. There are a few other options in the evening, the onsite Italian, the grotto (Egyptian type fare) or go uptown to the Marriott owned Mexican restaurant. These are not included in you half/full board package but you can get a credit note from the main reception as you are not eating in the buffet. We ate in the Mexican restaurant and it was just as you would expect from any Mexican restaurant in London and from memory was inexpensive after we used our credit note. In the round we felt no need to go to any of the other restaurants and on the night we went Uptown to the Mexican looked at the 2 or three other places to eat up there and it reminded us how easy it was every night to roll down to the buffet and have a no stress dinner in the main restaurant (we didn’t venture uptown again after that).

Before going our main concern was the well reported cases of food poisoning (the pharaoh’s revenge) that seems to be present in all reviews for the red sea hotels generally. We did not see any signs that this was the case in the Marriott and this may have been for a number of reasons; we were there when it was a bit cooler (although still roasting by European standards – 25-30 every day), less people around dipping there finger into the food etc.

In terms of nightlife there really isn’t any. The hotel bar does have a group of 3 singers who were really good but seemed to play to an audience of about 6 people most nights. Alcohol was generally London priced £3.50-4.00 for beer etc and I found that because the hotel did a happy hour about 3 or 4 times during the afternoon and early evening you could get a 2 for 1 beer or cocktail when you wanted and for me who wasn’t really drinking that much it was relatively cheap. I imagine if you were going for a major session every night you would be disappointed with the lack of atmosphere and find it adds up.

The only real negative I would say (and to be honest it gave us something to laugh about) was the spa. Not that I’m saying the spa was not nice as we never ventured into it but on the first day at out welcome meeting we were told that our booking included a half price treatment. The wife was keen for a bit of spa time and after the meeting when we went to the chap with the clipboard pandemonium ensured (it went something like this; my wife said ‘how about Wednesday’ the guy said ‘not possible you must come today to get the 50% discount’ my wife was like ‘OK’ the guy said ‘not room today’ wife said ‘OK i’ll come Wednesday for full price anyway’ the guy was like ‘no you can’t come Wednesday you come full price today’. My wife said ‘OK 6pm’ he said ‘no you must come at 8pm’ and wife looked at his appointment book and said ‘you have no bookings why not 6pm’ he said ‘you come 8pm anyway’. At this point my wife said ‘forget about it I don’t need the stress’ he then said ‘OK see you at 8pm’ and my wife then tried to explain in the pigeon English of a person who is clearly struggling to get the point across that she no longer wanted to make an appointment at which point he said something (I imagine unintentionally) mildly condescending and I though best to spare the chap the wrath of an small angry Irish woman and shuffled my wife out the door. The upside of all this was that the next day when the guy came around the pool trying to flog spa treatments the dirty look from wife meant he steered clear and did so every day for the rest of the week. The few times that we had to do something commercial (except for food and drink) there was the constant hard sell so we just avoided being in those situations.

The final point I’d like to make was that the manager (who was a Dutch chap called Jan, I think) was very much present and would walk around the pool in the afternoon and speak to the guests, so I guess if you had any problems you could have had them sorted out pretty quick. He also came to say good bye to us and it was comforting to know that he cared enough to do those small things without being overbearing. It was a nice touch.

All in all a nice holiday for a very reasonable price. My wife and I came home totally refreshed from our trip and feeling positively relived that we had none of the financial or jetlag hangover from other much more ‘exclusive’ holidays that we have had. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank yousomekindofnut

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed at the hotel during the first week in September and we really enjoyed ourselves. We arrived late on the Saturday night, check in was very quick and efficient. The room itself was of a great size with a decent balcony overlooking the resort. The room was perfectly clean but maybe a little tired decoratively, although they are in the process of refitting all the rooms.

The facilities were good. The size of the pool meant you weren't figting over sunloungers and you can always get sunbeds under parasols on the beach which makes such a change to your typically overcrowded European resorts. If you enjoy snorkeling you will love the beach, crystal clear shallow waters stretch out all the way to beautiful coral reefs which are full of life. Don't be put off by some of the reviews on here about people moaning about Stones, there is a band of stones right at the edge of the water but it doesnt go more than a few metres and there plenty of aread where the stones have been cleared to help you getting into the water. I should also mention the hammocks at the rear of the beach are a must after dinner in the evening!

The food was average but i probably would not expect more from a hotel that provides full and half board to the majority of its customers. Some of the staff are fantastic and certainly the chap who cleaned our room called Galal was a complete gent, however some of the chefs at breakfast can be miserable as sin, but who wouldn't be if you were cracking your 2318th egg of the day.

Taba heights shopping area can be very quiet but they do have events on from time to time when the place gets a lot busier. We ate twice at the Flying/Magic Carpet and had the fillet steak which was absolutely delicious and cost only about £11.00. The bedouin tent a little further down the road with its Shisha is also worth going to.

One other thing i would like to mention is that we did sometimes feel a little uncomfortable with some of the male attention that my girlfriend got. It wasn't unbearable but some of the men can come across a little sleazy. I suspect this is more of a cultural issue but it is something that I would consider if i was to go to Egypt again.

I would recommend this hotel as for what we paid it was well worth the £500 odd with flights included. If you want something lively it's not going to be for you but if you want to go somewhere and completely relax then you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank acmcgeown
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2010

Just book it - the resort is amazing.

We first stayed in the Taba Marriott in 2006, The combination of excellent service, luxurious rooms, a fantastic pool (grotto, waterfalls, brilliant kids slide and a walk in area leading to the beach) beautiful gardens, amazing choice of food from around the world and the finest beach set in the Sinai National Park meant I was keen to return. On our first trip our son was 9 months and I was relieved that the childrens' pool had a large umbrella covering most of it and this protection gave me peace of mind. The pool is set next to a playground and close to the beach which was ideal for building sandcastles! The spa nearby meant that I had timeout to myself and the tennis facilities kept my husband happy. The Regatta club was great to relax in after dinner and I would highly recommend ALL the cocktails! Breakfast was freshly prepared in front of you by the chefs, delicious. Lunch allows you to try a variety of food from pizzas, club sandwiches to local dishes. The attention to detail in all areas of this hotel ensured that we were keen to return.

Our second visit was August 2009, our room was next to the beach and there was a hammock right outside the room. We had returned to paradise! We had a large garden area and there was plenty of room in our Junior Suite for our son (4) and daughter (1). We discovered the beach on this holiday, it was simply amazing. The sea is warm and clear. You can walk out to see the coral and when the tide is out you can sit on a mound of sand by rock pools and see the multi-coloured fish - amazing and the kids loved it.

Our third visit was August 2010 and I was impressed with the changes. The General Manger leads by example. He cleared tables, served the guests at dinner and was present at all times. An excellent example to anyone leading a large organisation. The hotel had extended their activities, there was a mini-disco in the evening for children, a kids club, local entetainment every evening which I highly recommend, yoga in the morning, aqua aerobics, water polo, Arablic lessons and evening entertainment in the Regatta Club to name but a few. Plenty of places to visit away from the hotel. The most memorable evening was the Full Moon Party on the beach. Everyone gathered at the bar on the beach, they used lanterns around the dance floor and arranged the sunloungers all around the area. And the music was FANTASTIC. An unforgettable evening under the stars. My husband enjoyed playing golf every morning and paid £30 for each ! hour lesson - fantastic price. Golf course was remarkable - a real find!

10/10 for service in restaurants - staff attentive and always keen to help
10/10 for room and upkeep (staff made a real effort here, loved the flowers on the bed)
10/10 for facilities - spa nad pool
10/10 for food - huge variety
10/10 for beach, sunloungers
10/10 for luxury
2/10 for leg room on plane (not resorts fault)
10/10 for cleanliness - not a single bug seen ever!
Would recommend this for everyone!

I simply can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank LouiseHalim
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2010

My partner and I came across a deal advertised on Travelzoo for this hotel. We jumped at the opportunity because the package price was outstanding. It allowed us to go to the Red Sea (something we've always wanted to do) and stay in a Marriott hotel at an affordable rate.

The biggest negative is the leg room on the flight so if you're over 6ft it's suggested you push for extra leg room. That aside, the rest of the holiday was fantastic.

We were made to feel welcome on arrival and the general manager made a point of giving a speech at the reception. There are various excursion options such as a visit to Jerusalem, Petra or Cairo, although to avoid the tiring travel we opted to just go on a snorkelling trip, I also did an introductory scuba dive which really blew me away.

It was a fantastic day out and the staff on the boat made sure everyone had fun, Including a diving competition. We visited a number of islands off the coast of Taba and the marine life was impressive. One Island we visited had some ruins from the Crusades.

The hotel itself was very impressive. Our room was always clean and cool. The bed was huge and the comfortable linen meant we were able to sleep well, and solidly every night.

On a few occasions the cleaner made patterns with towels on our bed (a crocodile and some flowers) which was a very nice touch.

Considering Egypt is not as mature a travel market as say, Greece or Spain, the staff held their own when it came to speaking English. My partner and I made a point of learning some basic Arabic (such as Hello, thanks and have a good day) which pays dividends with the staff. That, and a friendly smile went a very long way. We found the staff will go that extra yard to help you and make you feel special.

There is plenty to do in Taba although it's important to bear in mind it's not big for partying. It's ideal is you want to chill out, sleep, eat, drink and enjoy the sun.

There are a range of restaurants to try up in Taba Heights, defintely try El Fuego (mexican) and Pub Tandoori. A free shuttle bus visits the hotel regularly and is available through the night until late.

Also unlike some of the other reviews seen on here, we thought the food was actually very good. They had a different theme each night (e.g. Egyptian, Indian, Middle Eastern, Med, etc). There's plenty to choose from at Breakfast including pastries, freshly made Omlettes along with middle eastern food. We liked this because we didn't want the same food we have at home on holiday! The whole point of visiting other countries is that you can try different things.

The hotel is situated in a very picturesque area where you can view Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Israel all from the beach! The lack of light pollution means the stars are bright and clear and the hotel has hammocks around the beach for you to relax in late in the evenings. They also have a separate raised, open air space with Arabic musicians playing every night and Shisha pipes available, should you wish. This place was one of the more memorable experiences for us.

So, go if you get the chance, there's plenty to do and you'll come back feeling a million dollars. Take the bad reviews about staff with a pinch of salt. As with all places, you get back what you put in.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank murphic
england
Reviewed 4 September 2010

What a nice hotel, the pools are fantastic, the view is fantastic and the staff are friendly on the whole but some are a bit offish, nice and clean. Its a great hotel for children however it lets itself down. Minor gripes unfortuantely are the buffett breakfast is not geared to English taste so its very continental, thats if you can get to the buffett that is without being trampled so breakfast is always chaotic unless you get up at the crack of dawn. Avoid 8 - 9am because it becomes a annoying inconvenience. Room service seems to be an issue as some staff struggle with English so it can be frustrating but when they get there they do it well. But saying that Evening meal good as long you are not eating in the main dining room in which case its not so great. Room always cleaned to a very high standard but it is a little dated and they are a bit tight about what I would expect in the UK as standard. I was shocked that they dont provide top ups on your tea and coffee provisions daily free of charge - but they dont and it will cost 30 eqyption pounds per day for 3 sachets of tea and 3 sachets of coffee per day that is about £4.00 and thats with creamer sachets. So all in all lovely hotel , great for children , staff very helpful but it has some odd ways and this is in my view, not five star but trying to be! maybe an English 4

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank DL3_10
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 3 September 2010

Hi there,
I found it useful to learn from other reviews prior to my trip, so I now feel a duty to share our experince from our recent holiday.
We decided to go to the Red Sea, to Egypt. To get a bit of sunshine, and to venture out and visit Israel (Jerusalem), Jordan (Petra), and Cairo.
The trip itself was good, location is pretty, pleasant, exciting snorkling.
We were very disappointed with the hotel. I am totally surprised why the Marriott claim a 5STAR quality level of this hotel. I stay at the Marriott hotels world-wide during my business trips, so I kind of have an appreciation what 5STAR means.
The Marriott hotel in Taba is a great disappointment - it might reach 2, or max 2.5 stars the most. The biggest issue is the poor management. I felt often sorry for the staff because somehow the faults did not apepar to be of their own making.
The restaurant was an utter disgrace. I would also appeal to the management to ensure staff speak good enough English, or at least they acknowledge the lack of it and make an effort to communicate well, rather than covering up this defficiency adn causing an even bigger confusion.
For comparison, a year ago I went to SIDE in Turkey, and it was "chalk and cheese" - Kumkoy Beach hotel, just perfect in every way.
Marriott, you should care more for your stars. Tha brand is just too precious.
Overall, not a bad holiday, as I mentioned in the beginning, one just has to have realistic expectations.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ELIvanko
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2010

It is with great excitement that we've booked yet again to visit the Marriott in Taba Heights.
Whenever we have stayed we have been welcomed by staff and management as if we were special guests.
The 'wow' factor begins with the reception area - bright spacious and with a waterfall to look at!
Staff are all helpful and friendly and willing to do whatever they can to enhance tour stay.
You cannot equate the 5 stars with a city hotel, as this is a beach resort, therefore, the guests are a little more less formal. Dressing for dinner is promoted, but at other mealtimes appropriate holiday attire is acceptable.
The general manager is often visible around the site and is always approachable - if there are any issues with your holiday, he needs to be told so that he can quickly find a slution. You will find him a very amiable man! This is also the case with his deputy, who we found to be equally as charming.
The hotel in general can rarely be faulted - the room boys are fairly quick when they enter your room, and trustworthy!! Your belongings are safe.
A few people have been unhappy that food is not as hot as it should be, but this is due to the fact that the guests leave the lids open on the bainmaries (can't spell) There is a good choice, and staff will provide an alternative should it be requested.
This IS Egypt and things may be a bit slow and relaxed, but isn't that what holidays are all about?
Overall, Messrs Heesbeen amd Amer Should be proud of their staff and hotel, they give you a wonderful holiday!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple