“Awful!”

Somerset, England
“Awful!”
Reviewed 16 February 2008

Hotel
This hotel does not come close to a 4star rating. No where to go. Poor beach and house reef. Surrounded by derelict half built shells. New 5 star hotel under construction next door. Predominantly Russian guests and therefore catering exclusively to their tastes. Only redeeming feature is the colourful gardens.

Room
My husband and I were given a twin bedded room with loose floor tiles inside and on the balcony, old and tired wooden fitments, most were broken, and a medieval bathroom, again with broken fitments. After disturbed sleep on a number of occasions due to noisy guests, we were put into another ‘quieter’ block, that was even worse – and still with the loose floor tiles and identical old and tired furniture. Four nights later with ear plugs, didn’t help.

We had to rely on an all inclusive basis on spaghetti, boiled vegetables and rice for the first week for our main meals as we are vegetarians and there was nothing else on offer accept cake. A complaint to management resulted in fish for the evening meals on week two. Ice cream one flavour was offered once only in a fortnight. No chips. The house gin was vile and tonic had to be paid for. We ended up drinking larger from small wine glasses, that is, when it hadn’t run out which it did, often.

Entertainment
The ‘Animation Team’ absolutely loved head banging ‘house’ music, played at full volume from 10-5.30 every day by the pool. This meant it was impossible to read a book, listen to your own music on headphones or sleep! We requested it be turned down three times which eventually succeeded but this lead to a level of hostility towards us, even though others had also complained with no result.

Staff
Looking fed up most of the time. Grumpy and over sexed towards young female guests. Generally looking untidy and downright dirty.

Conclusion
We will definately not be going back to this hotel. Taba Heights hotels looked much much better an option than this dismal one.

• Liked — Colourful grounds
  • Disliked — Too many to mention
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank dress6996

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Cambridge
Reviewed 15 February 2008

Another very overdue review! I promise to do the next one as soon as I get back...!

We visited the Holiday Resort Taba back in November 2006. It was a last minute holiday booked through Thomson.

What a waste of money!!! It was easily THE most awful holiday ever, and definately the worst hotel we have stayed in.

The journey from the airport to the hotel is something else, all downhill at about a 100 miles an hour, it was pretty scary in the dark, oh and our bus broke down on the way there, I think we knew from the start what kind of holiday it was going to be!

There is not really much in the way of duty free - it is a military airport, your rep won't be allowed in the airport, you have to meet them outside the front.

The staff were sullen and rude, not to mention learing over the ladies - you've heard the cliche how many camels for your wife? - they do actually ask this here! Ladies - beware of lecherous men in vast quantities. I would not have felt safe on my own and was glad I was with my partner.

The food and drink were in a league of their own, lukewarm slop is the best way to describe the food. Ok the omlettes at breakfast were the only exception, but look forward to an egg bound holiday at your own expense - we were actually glad of the laxatives I took!! Plates and glasses were consistantly dirty. Service at tables was non existant, getting a drink was a mission in itself. We found it was best to get a drink first, reserve a table, then go and get your food - this way the already lukewarm food didn't get any colder after you could easily spend 10 minutes trying to get a drink and locate a table.

Drinks - I think they deliberately gave you whatever they felt like, i.e what they wanted to get rid of at the time. I asked for vokda but would be given ouso every time. It was a constant battle to try and get vodka, in the end I gave up and had beer or wine, both of which were both awful. The bar shut promptly and they expected you to pay an extortionate rate for anything thereafter. For an all inclusive holiday I bregrudge having to pay extortionate fees for something that was so awful anyway.

Entertainment - hmmmm, some dodgy bloke singing repetitive songs, no disco, occasional film which you could never get a seat anywhere near, very poor.

DON'T bother with the italian restuarant, this was a complete joke! It was empty every night. The food isn't any better and by no stretch of the imagination a la carte.

Swimming Pool - ok the weather was really hot when we went but the swimming pool is really really icy cold, and I mean REALLY cold. Management refused to turn the pool heater on. For me the swimming pool is a necessity on holiday to get some relief from the heat, but sadly was unable to use it. I can't comment how much warmer this would get throughout the summer months but be forewarned!

Rooms - surprisingly clean actually, basic but we didn't mind.

The grounds were not that clean, the beach was strewn with rubbish. Be prepared to be hassled on the beach by the bedouins, you feel sorry for them then they get their wallets out and they have literally rolls of notes, also rolex watches, and one day we watched this big 4 x 4 come to pick some of them up, makes you laugh really.

The hotel is literally in the middle of nowhere, don't go expecting to have a nice little wander down the road and nosey at some other hotel or hope to visit a local shop. When we visisted there was like this 'ghost' hotel next door, it was very eerie, just like everyone had walked out, chairs and tables etc still there. There is NOTHING in the area, any kind of shop is a good half hour journey away. Also, we wouldn't have felt safe wondering around the road outside the hotel.

The hotel itself does have a small selection of shops, but be prepared for high prices and yes they do hassle you a bit to buy something, you feel pressured into buying something and feel a bit guilty if you don't. Don't buy the 'cigarettes' from the hotel, they are awful!, make sure you take plenty with you. Also if you like your cadbury's chocolate take a supply, chocolate you get in egypt is not the best!

Didn't like the fact that reception insist on holding on to your passports! - what was that all about!

All the rooms automatically go into 'lock down' about 10 - 11 on the last day - think it was a friday we left, but periodically on changover day management switch ALL the cards off (regardless of if you are staying for a 2nd week) so you can't get into your rooms - what good is this when you are just about to head back to the room to pack up and vacate! VERY annoying, for me this was the last insult on what was a very unrelaxing stressful holiday, I use the term holiday loosely.

Hope this review might save some poor other people in the future from a miserable stay at this hotel. To sum up DO NOT GO HERE!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Food, drink, rude staff, cold swimming pool
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Missy-M-and-Mr-W

Travellers are raving about these Taba hotels

Buckinghamshire, England
Reviewed 21 November 2007

I don't know where to start, I booked a last minute all inclusive week at the Holiday Taba Resort and well it is quite simply the WORST hotel I have ever stayed in. Now it was last minute so I wasn't expecting luxury (even though it was 4 star) but what I didn't think it was too much to expect polite and friendly staff. I could rant for pages on this hotel but I won't waste anymore time on this place, I just don't want anyone out there wasting their hard earned money on it.

In the end we packed our bags and moved to Taba Heights (at our expense), after all we weren't going to win any prizes for endurance!

So a few choice points just in case you're still thinking of going:

The "Speed Bar"
Very ironic, 1 very unhappy barman at all times regardless of how big the queue, drinks took 5-10mins to get and then they were thimble fulls!

The Music
Hmm I don't think I'll ever be able to listen to Lionel Ritchie, George Michael or Kool and the Gang ever again. The pool guys seem to have the same 4 songs on repeat for hours. It was that of the Crazy Frog album full blast.

Staff/Service
Most staff were rude and could hardly be bothered to acknowledge you (there were a few lovely exceptions).

Uniforms were filthy, clearly not washed once while we were there.

Liked to scream lazy in your ears if you were dozing by the pool. Again enjoyed the lazy comments if people didn't join in the "Aerobics" or "Stretching".

Very lecherous, came into room without asking, particularly if we were in our swimwear, lots of comments on how we looked in our swimwear. Constant hassle to go out with them in the evening.

Waiters refused to fill water bottles up, you had to collect it by the glass (5mins queuing each time) and weren't even allowed then to use these to fill up your bottles. No water allowed after 11pm!

The "Health Club"
Dirty dingy place....we were laughed at when we refused massages from a member of the opposite sex, even though we made this clear when booking. Tried to cancel but staff said they'd get in trouble if we complained to reception.

Booking a cab was a nightmare, you need to give at least 24hr notice and even then we were told of other peoples bookings being ignored and the staff informing them that they thought their cab request was a joke!

The Restaurant
1 Restaurant, food very repetitive, same food served whether it was an Italian, German or an Oriental Buffet. Food actually not too bad, however check all meat, as there was raw chicken being served everyday. Oh and by the way you are not allowed to eat your lunch outside - we were starting to wonder whether we were on holiday or in prison.

PLEASE PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS HOTEL

• Liked — Can't think of one thing!
  • Disliked — The rules
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
7 Thank TravelJunkieMonkey
Romford Essex England
Reviewed 19 February 2007

We were a little dubious about this hotel especially as we booked it thinking that Holiday Inn would be involved. Then we got the letter informing us that they were no longer anything to do with it! We needn’t have worried however as the hotel and especially its setting and grounds were excellent. We had a lovely room overlooking the pool and Red Sea with excellent views over to Israel, Saudi Arabia and Jordan. All the rooms shared this view. The staff were amazingly helpful and friendly and very complimentary to ladies, even 42 year old ones! They all wanted to be friends and we came away with many e-mail addresses and promises to keep in touch. That is not to say they are intrusive in any way, just very friendly. The hotel has mostly Polish, Czechs and Germans with only three parties from England when we were there. We usually go to the Caribbean at this time of year and although the food is not as good as it is there, we paid less than half the price, so what can you expect? Don’t worry you won’t go hungry there is always a great soup, different types of bread, chicken, other meat dishes, potatoes and a range of salads and a great variety of deserts!
We travelled with Thomson and were entitled to eat in the al a carte restaurant once during our stay, but we didn’t bother as it was always empty! Now for the drinks – gin and vodka taste the same (a bit like aniseed) but the brandy and lemonade went down well (ask Kory the waiter for half and half he’ll know what you mean) and the Egyptian red and rose wines were very drinkable. The wine waiters soon got to know our particular drinks and we had hardly sat at our table before drinks were placed before us. I am not sure where they get the spirits from but one bottle of vodka behind the pool bar had a lid saying whisky with a seal over it with a vodka label!
Before we left home, I couldn’t find out if they supplied pool/beach towels at the hotel so I ended up packing towels. The good news is they are supplied, you don’t even have to have a card or anything, just turn up at the pool or beach and they will put a mattress and a towel on your chosen sun bed, and there are plenty of sun beds to choose from. Tipping is well received and we took plenty of US$1 & $5 notes with us although they will happily accept anything, I think they prefer these notes and often someone will ask you to change pound coins or even euros for notes. Our room cleaner wasgreat and as well as cleaning the room very well, he produced some excellent towel creations.
We went on one excursion on the Red Sea Cruise, great snorkelling although you do need to swim well because they take you quite a way from the boat. They will supply life jackets if required and the trip cost about £36 each, lunch and soft drinks included. All in all a great, value for money trip. The weather was fabulous with clear blue skies all week except for around two hours one afternoon. The sun was very hot and you will need plenty of sun lotion. The beach is great although very stony (we bought beach shoes at the hotel shop for £5 a pair - great value! The snorkelling is fantastic as there is lovely coral to explore just off the beach with numerous types of fish.
Don’t expect too much evening entertainment as there is not too much going on at night time. There is a Disco in the hotel and the Animation team did try and get people up although when we were there, there were not too many takers! Not sure also whether the drinks in the Disco form part of the all inclusive package.
We had a great time at the Holiday Resort Taba and would recommend it if you are looking for a peaceful vacation in beautiful surroundings, good food and superb staff.

• Liked — Friendliness of staff, Snorkelling and Sunshine
  • Disliked — Food repetitive
  • Stayed February 2007
2 Thank Peter_and_Susan
Mids
Reviewed 24 January 2007

We stayed at the Holiday Resort (no Inn in name now) from 22/12/06 to 05/01/07. Allocated on arrival having read some awful reports we were very worried. Arrived at hotel and staff could not have been more efficient and friendly.

Food - repetitive but good and plenty of it.

Location - middle of nowhere and a 25 min drive to Taba Heights, which Nature Travel can arrange for you, they have a rep on site and the tours are cheaper than the Travel agent reps, we heard good reports about these.
Good location if you want to Visit Petra in Jordan & Israel. We didn't make it to Petra as it snowed in Jordan and our trip was cancelled.

Taba Heights - there are a couple of restaurants and a few shops, the Mexican restaurant was good.

Staff - very good.

Tips - a lot of people on here have recommended pounds coins, however the staff spend a lot of time trying to exchange these for Egyptian Pounds, so Egyptian money is better. There is a bank at the hotel and Egyptian money is readily available.

Entertainment is not very good, one singer who sings and hums.
There is a nightclub on site, but the drinks are not included in there and it is not very large. Italian Restaurant is situated behind the bar and apprarently not worth spending the extra money.

2 swimming pools and a kiddie pool. Pool boys very helpful, tip them well. They reserved our fave loungers for us and even moved them around to face the sun when we went to lunch.

If you want a holiday with good service and complete relaxation, this is for you. There really is nothing to do here except read your book, sunbathe and chill out completely.
Rach1163@hotmail.com

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank ScorpionBlonde
Liverpool
Reviewed 2 January 2007

We stayed at the Holiday Resort Taba (no inn) just before Christmas, having booked an all inclusive last minute deal on the net - allocation on arrival.

Having done loads of research before I went, i was pretty terrified of being allocated this hotel!! but surprise surprise, we were...

Thomson use 3 hotels in the taba area, but I would say if you get a dirt cheap alloc on arrival deal, get ready for the HTR because you will almost certainly end up here!!

In addition to the poor hotel reviews, the BBC also claimed it was 18 degrees max in taba, so as you can imagine i was pretty apprehensive...

As it turned out, I needn't have been. The hotel was clean, friendly and secure, and my boyfriend and i enjoyed a lovely relaxing break - in temperatures about 25 degrees!! So much for the Beeb!

The "resort" really is in the back end of nowhere, and if you are not after TOTAL peace and relaxation, this really isnt for you. The evening "entertainment" doesnt stretch much further than one man and his mic.... (who hums most of the lyrics)... we ventured out to Taba Heights one night and had a fantastic mexican, but there wasnt really much else there other than a few dodgy shops

(Incidentally, the cash machine at TH wouldnt take our UK debit cards, but - thankfully! - we were fine using them in Nuweiba)

The food is edible, but pretty dismal and limited on the whole. There appears to be lots of selection when you first arrive, but you soon realise that most of the platters contain delights such as liver, veal or "stewed foul"!! - for breakfast!! - and that you are better off sticking to omelettes. If I had paid full-price I would have been disappointed, but couldn't complain for what we paid... Also, I didnt have any tummy trouble at all, so I guess it cant have been that bad.

We did 3 trips with Thomson - dolphins in Israel, scuba diving and quad biking - which were all brilliant... and although Thomson have you a bit over the barrel with the prices (and we ended up paying more for trips than the holiday!!), it was well worth it .

All in all, a really relaxing break. I wouldnt pay full price to stay in the hotel, but was more than happy with the standard for such a cheap deal. In December when we went, the sun goes down about 4 oclock so you have to make the most of it, and it is pretty windy, but it's still hot enough to get burnt!!

Finally, agree totally with everyone who has said take dollar bills or pounds for tipping. We tipped the cleaner a fiver on our first day and had a spotless room all week... not to mention an amazing and increasingly bizarre range of towel sculptures - swans, crocodiles, er... small children (!!)...

Cheap and cheerful - dont expect too much and you wont be disappointed!!

• Liked — Clean, safe and comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — Freezing pool and lack of entertainment
  • Tips/Secrets — Small tips go a long way!
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
6 Thank CDV77
Manchester
Reviewed 12 December 2006

The Hotel was beutiful with lovely views and a private beach with ample sun loungers, the pool was great with lots of sun loungers and the pool staff where exceptional as you walked towards the pool they waited at the bottom of the steps with towels for you! at lunch time they would turn your sunbeds to face the sun and tidy around for you so when you came back it was all tidy.
The bar staff where great and polite but didn't have a vast understanding of a vodka and coke as quite often you would get the first bottle they came to!! The restaurant staff where extremly helpful and remembered your drinks order from day to day!
The main fault was the food as it was always Rice, wierd potatoes, the food wasn't of a 5 star standard and you can never trust the posters outside the restaurant as the food doesn't match half the time!!!
My main memories of the hotel was the standard of the accomodation and the hard work and dedication from the service staff.

• Liked — Size of Room
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with friends