My son (aged 10) and myself came here for a weeks holiday over Easter. Having been fortunate to have travelled all over the world, I was not expecting a UK style 5 Star hotel.....however....I wasn't expecting it to be this bad either!
On arrival the check in process was fine, but we were not shown to our room or indeed given a clue where it was ! Given this is a large hotel covering 2 seperate building this was a pain ! However, 15 mins later we managed to find it.
The room itself was very dated, with scuffed and damaged furniture everywhere. The rug on the floor was also dirty. Not a great start....
We then found the airconditioning to be broken and the old and decrepid TV didn't receive any English chanels. Both were reported and fixed the same day.
As we were all inclusive we had breakfast/lunch/dinner in the large main restaurant area daily. First impressions are not bad, as there appears to be plenty of food which looks fresh and appertising. However, in was very busy and on our first visit for dinner we did not know the etiquette. We asked a waiter who was passing and were told just to take any available table. Having searched for a few minutes we found one...and things started to go wrong again.... The chairs were filthy, with food stains and crumbs from previous diners and the floor (carpet) was filthy with what looked like years of dirt and stains ! Hardly appropriate !
The service was also terrible ! We were just ignored by the waiters and could not get a drink. This ritual continued into day two with more and more frustration on my part. This was accentuated by the staff fawning over two Russian women over lunch whilst ignoring my son and I. The behaviour was appalling...with notes being exchanged and lipstick being applied by one woman, who then proceeded to kiss a napkin and pass it to one of the waiters!!!! UTTERLY APPALLING!!!
The food was fine...though the first dish I contemplated had a large black hair in it....
The following morning I got a hold of the Thomson rep and one of the hotel managers to discuss specifically the dire service that we were receiving...as frankly complaining about the filthy floors and aged rooms would be futile during the remains of our stay.
In fairness the two chaps were shocked by what we told them and we were asked to leave it with them. The result was that at lunchtime we were suddenly "on the radar" and we were getting served ! Happy days....you might think....
Well the following day my son and I came down with severe diarrhea.... This is the first time I have ever experienced this on ANY holiday. We were All Inclusive and only ate here. This was effectively the end of the holiday as we spent our final four days in our room....whilst leaving our room a couple of times a day to get water and bread...
We were barely fit to travel on the way back...and had to fill in some kind of incedent form with the Thomsons rep.....no idea if I'm due a response from them or not...
As for everything else...the beach is ok though quite rocky. The pools were nice with plenty of loungers...though I was amused with the creative license on the advertised temperatures of the pools....27-28 celcius they were certainly not ! This was noted by others that we spoke to also.
Overall....I cannot recommend this hotel and would never go back. This is the worst holiday I have ever had.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Strand Golf Beach & Golf Resort Taba Heights is part of a premier resort community on the Red Sea coast. Surrounded by desert mountains, white sand beaches and turquoise waters, it offers a wealth of leisure options including golf, water sports, shopping and gaming. A short drive away are Pharaoh s Island, Colored Canyon and the Taba Protected Area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, HRS, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Taba Heights Hotel Taba
- Hotel Intercontinental Taba Heights
- Intercontinental Hotel Taba Heights
- Taba Intercontinental
- Taba Heights Intercontinental