“Jealous of Good Reviews”

Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Taba
Kempsey, England, United Kingdom
“Jealous of Good Reviews”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We arrived during the Eid celebrations.........oh how I wish we had been given information and we would have postponed to the following week!!!

No welcome drink for us...........no dine around option..............no swimming in the pool...........no towel sculptures in the room.......banished to the far end of the beach (relaxation area)during the day time.............dirty toilets in public areas............stressed out staff................no dress code adhered to in dining room, which was a no go area (the staff kindly ushered us to one of the A La Carte restaurants advising us to not use the main buffet restaurants during Eid............lunch time food in La Mar was very poor...........a greek salad consisted of limp lettuce leaves and 3 pieces of feta cheese. The pizza was a naan bread with a smear of tomato passata (once the Eid crowd left the pizza was real pizza). All food was cold. Also when the holy holiday ended and the hotel emptied out the 'CANTEEN' was transformed into a restaurant - complete with tablecloths and different chairs.

To sum up our week..............5 days of 2nd rate food and facilities...........1 and half day of how it should have been. Please no more 'Amazing' or 'Paradise' reviews .....GREEN with envy.

Tour operators pls take note and advise your clients

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Martin B, General Manager at Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights, responded to this review, 2 November 2013

Friday , 01st of November 2013

Dear Susan,

Thank you very much for staying with us at the InterContinental Taba Heights Resort and for taking the time to write your feedback and share it with us.

It is very disappointing for me to receive your comments about our hotel, despite the efforts we have done and the added values during this busy period, as we have the most alternatives options whether for beach facilities or for the dinning experience however I have discussed your feedback with the concerned managers and I really appreciate your feedback which helps us in improving our services , and your comments are really of a great value for us.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you once again at the InterContinental Taba Heights Resort in the soonest future, where we will do every possible effort to make your stay as much pleasant and comfortable as possible.

With our best regards,

Martin Benker, General Manager of InterContinental Taba Heights Resort.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Newport, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The hotel was really nice and the room we had was massive and overlooked the sea and the lagoon. It was a preety quiet time of the year so the numbers in the hotel meant it wasn't too bad, word of caution though I can imagine when this hotel is fully booked, it would be anightmare to get a drink at the bar and you would have to wait for tables at the restaurant as these are really small in comparison to the number of people. The lagoon is a nice touch and increases the 'ool space' the beach is rocky and man made and the area is pretty baron apart from the 4-5 big hotels in the area. This is not like Sharm if you want sandy beaches do not go to Taba Heights. The food at the hotel was ok and the service was good if you had one of the more attentive staff waiting on you. On the way home our flight was cancelled so we got put up in a nearby Sofitel hotel, which seemed to be far more family orientated and had better food if I am honest.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Martin B, Manager at Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights, responded to this review, 2 November 2013

Friday 1st of November 2013

Dear Jeff,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review with us regarding you stay in Last February.

I appreciate you loved the hotel , the room and the view as well as the lagoon and I hope you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I'm happy also to hear such good comments about our staff being attentive providing a very good service, it is very much appreciated and I will share those positive comments with the team who will be happy.

Although it is unfair to us to judge the hotel being a nightmare when it is full and you did not experience the hotel whilst being full or busy in the meantime, we do appreciate your concerns but rest assured that we always do our best to make our guests' holidays as perfect as they expect. We always strive to provide our guests with the best service , it is our main target.

Thank you very much once again for your very valuable feedback and we always look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and until then , we send you our best regards from our warm and Sunny Taba.

Walaa Ibrahim, Executive Secretary
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Once again we had our second trip of the year to the Intercon. We made a mistake though, as we had not looked at the Muslim Calendar before booking, which meant that the invasion of Eid celebrants started the day before we left. but for the rest of the holiday it was excellent, what we went for. Beach, sun and quiet.

For the majority of our holiday we "benefitted" from the low occupancy rate. The hotel, as is normal, coped with this excellently. Contingency arrangements had been in place and the guests that were there enjoyed the usual high standard of service.

With the advent of Eid and the invasion from Jordan and Israel, the hotel brought into action their well oiled machine to cope with what was going to be a full to capacity hotel. Additional reception points were created in the function room. Other than the mass of people, there was service with a smile to those who were nearing the end of their holidays.

We will be back in May, so long as there are still direct flights from the UK to Taba Airport. The prospect of flying to Sharm and then taxi up will need careful consideration, but has not been entirely ruled out. Somehow we will return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Douglas W

Friday , 01st of November 2013

Dear Mr. Douglas,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit at the InterContinental Taba Heights Resort and thank you very much for being one of our loyal and repeat guests.

I understand that it was busy during your stay with us meanwhile I appreciate your understanding and happy to hear that you noticed the plan done from our side to cope with the full occupancy and I hope you enjoyed the different options we provided to make your stay more enjoyable.

We always look forward to welcoming you back to your second home and should you wish to book our hotel, you can always get in touch with us directly and we will be happy to assist you.It is always our pleasure having you staying with us Mr.Douglas.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I booked this via secret escapes to come with one of my friends. We had no high expectations and we were worried about the "riots" before I went. How daft am I! It was a first class experience. Do not be put off going to Taba. Its safe, a lovely location and it was one of the best relaxing holidays I have had.

On arrival at the Intercontinental we were offered a welcome drink, they recognise ambassador loyalty members and we got upgraded even though we hadnt booked direclty with the hotel. the reception staff were 1st class, always helpful as were the bar staff. Who would make you cocktails and try to make you feel at home. The hotel was only at 25% capacity..

The room we had was a twin on (1239) and was lovely clean and spacious over looking the pool / side of the lagoon and out to the sea, with a balcony. Perfect!
Towels etc changed everyday.

Pool staff: The bar staff at the pool came to bring us drinks and were really helpful, friendly and often brought us water without having to ask.

Local Diving School representative onsite: They have an onsite office from the local diving school next to the pool and the gent who is working there day and in the evening is extremely helpful, knowledgeable and will go the extra mile to help you with any diving or snorkelling, alongside local knowledge. We booked 2 trips and both were outstanding well worth it. He also helps you on where to go snorkelling near the hotel too. As well as a trial scuba in the pool if you wish to try. This we were most impressed with, and the impeccable level of service we got from him and the dive school on our trips. My friend is a weak swimmer and was very well looked after 1:1 with an instructor. The photos are well worth it, and the water trips were the highlight of the holiday. I must say on behalf of my friend and myself he was a total credit to the hotel and we would be coming back to book more courses with them as a result.

Spa: Do it! I’m not a big fan of Spas back home, as usually overpriced for lack of service. But I took the time for a massage and body scrub the day before we left. The lady was very professional, excellent at her job and could not be faulted. It isn’t the cheapest thing to do but its well worth it. You are very well looked after even given tea and not rushed at all.

(The only thing that lets this down is the young skinny man that comes around the pool asking if you want your nails done. He needs some customer service training as his usual lines are "your eyes are like diamonds" and you could use some facial threading, why don’t you marry me, which my friend declined, so he then tried the same lines on me. Creepy. I offered him some customer service and sales training but it wasn’t hitting home, so after a few mins I asked him to go away! I think he got the message as he left us alone then!)

Gym: We used the gym; it is basic and lacks a rowing machine but overall serves a purpose :) You can use the indoor pool as part of the gym facilities but you have to pay for the Jaccuzi, steam room and sauna as extras.

Food: We were on all inclusive. 1st one ever. They have dine around so you can visit the other hotels in the area. It was catered for European tastes. Id have like to seen more local food. There is a BBQ on some nights, which was lovely as is the salad. I learnt the chef is French, so please please please do a French night! Everyone LOVES french food ;) Oh and try the omelettes for breakfast. Outstanding!

Entertainment: There was entertainment on, but we didn’t really stay around for any of it. The animation team were very friendly trying to get us to do classes during the day, but we were there to relax, so didn’t partake on this occasion.

Top tips:
Take Sterling. Do not change money at home. They love the £££ and $$$
Do dine around
Do use the free buses around the resort.
Do go for a late night walk along the "running" path it’s very nice to see everything in the evening.
Being female: So 2 single females in an Arabic country. From past experiences In Turkey, morocco, Oman etc.. Being blonde I was expecting some form of harassment. Of which I got very little. This is outstanding and a good reflection upon multicultural awareness of the employees at the hotel and the local people. I went walking by myself used the buses and no issues.
If someone asks you it’s a friends wedding can you write on the paper congratulations or happy birthday. Say no! Walk on by and suggest Google. They are just trying to get you in thier shop to buy something!

Petra: We went to Petra with our tour operator, well worth the visit, but if you are not good at walking or have small kids don’t go. It’s a long day out. Take linen clothes and ideally wear linen trousers, you will be covered in dust by the end of the day!)

We left the day of the mass arrival for Eid (Recommendation check for public holidays in the country you are visiting, people from neighbouring countries visiting Taba, have a bad habit not to register their kids and most have 3-4kids, who are not disciplined, nor do the parents have any manors or care for others) so the staff started to look stressed, as the new guests non European seemed to have very little curious behaviour. I was trying to check out and experienced some bad Arabic men who were trying to check in and literally ignoring the fact I was there and trying to push me out the way. In the basic Arabic I know they were not listening to me. But I have to say thank-you to the reception staff. The way they handled this was amazing.

If you are thinking to go to Taba, the Intercontinental is a lovely hotel and the staff are outstanding. I’ve stayed in many countries in this chain of hotels and this one deserves the 5* and we will be coming back again but for longer next time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank foodie1312
Martin B, General Manager at Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Saturday , 26th of October 2013

Dear our Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for this wonderful and constructive feedback and I thank you for your kind and enthusiastic words. I am always delighted when it is mentioned how good the service is, as I know how much effort the team put into every guest interaction. It is comments like these that enable us to motivate our team to achieve the best targets.

Thank you once again, and I look forward to welcoming you back.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My boyfriend and I returned from InterContinental Taba Heights last night. We had a lovely trip.

We were staying at the same time as the people in the previous reviews who experienced the massive rush of guests due to Eid. The hotel was full to capacity and SOME guests did get a little over excited and a bit rude at times but at the end of the day if you book to stay in a 1500 capacity hotel, it is always a possibility that the hotel will be full.

I think people may have expected the hotel to be empty the whole time.. which would have been nice but as that was not the case we enjoyed it anyway. The staff at the hotel are very nice and extremely helpful. They cleaned our room every day and let us eat in all of the different restaurants around the complex without charging us extra.

The hotel is really nice with lots of different places to relax and lots of options for eating and drinking. When the hotel was full they made a really nice quiet area on the beach which we also enjoyed. The décor is slightly dated inside but it is really clean and comfortable.

The animation team were fun and when there were only a few guests left for the last three days they managed to get a few people into the pool for water aerobics.

The food in the buffet was nice, some days a bit hit and miss but lots to choose from and there is often the option of dine around included in the package so you can experience the variation in the different hotels without paying extra. I would definitely go back to this hotel and I would recommend it to my friends. Especially with the cheap deals they have on at the moment.

Thanks to the staff for a nice time and for trying to make the best of it when there were so many guests.

Room Tip: We had the sea view room included in our deal. It was very nice, clean and spacious.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kerry B
Saturday , 26th of October 2013

Dear Kerry,

First of all, I wish to thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvior regarding your recent stay at the InterContinental Taba Heights Resort.

Your kind comments about the hotel and the team are highly appreciated. Our aim is to provide our guests with memorable experiences and I am delighted to learn that we were able to leave a positive impression.

We are looking forward to having another opportunity to welcome you in the not too distant future.

Your sincerely,

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

We read all the reviews before booking and noted that due to the troubles elsewhere in Egypt the hotel had only had 10-15 % occupancy. We found a good deal through TravelZoo and looked forward to a quiet week- ha!!!
Due to the religious festival of Eid al Hamra the hotel was full to bursting for four days in the middle of our week. However, I have to say the hotel did their very best to ensure that we had a wide range of restaurants to choose from and to provide a separate quiet area on the beach. In particular we would like to thank the waiter, Asaad, in the Bay View, who looked after us so well each time we went in. He offered to bring us anything we wanted so that we would not have to join in any general mayhem. Our special offer also included a gorgeous sea view room overlooking the quiet lagoon and the beach. We also had use of the spa for a day where I had an amazing massage. Overall we would definitely recommend this hotel but would avoid the religious festival period.

Stayed October 2013
Saturday, 26th of October 2013

Dear our Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback and for choosing the InterContinental Taba Heights Resort for your recent stay. Our aim is to provide our guests with memorable experiences and I am delighted to learn that we were able to leave a positive impression.The team will be thrilled as it is greatly appreciated when their efforts are recognized. I will definitely share your comments with the team specially those whom you have mentioned.

We trust that we can look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

With our best regards,

Martin Benker, General Manager of InterContinental Taba Heights Resort
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We planned our family holiday October 14 - 18, 2013. It was a religious holiday in the Middle East.
We stayed at the InterContinental Taba Heights resort. A lovely place with fascinating scenes all around. All employees were cooperative, nice and smiling all the time. Food is good with a great variety.
However, the hotel had over 1,500 guests during that period- with a high percentage of children. This made relaxation (our holiday goal) almost impossible.
The main problems were:
- Employees were not able to cope with the high demands of their guests, which was frustrating for all (employees & guests).
- There was a BIG human behavior problem on behalf of the guests: like spitting in the pools, misuse of the facilities & furniture, too much noise, hygiene problems, environmental issues, etc. I think that the hotel management need to enforce its standards & policies with regard to these issues. It will make a great difference.
- Recreation activities were planned for every day. But, the animation team had a very low capacity vs the high number of guests during that season. It was clear that management did not plan well for their highest season of the year. Some activities were great, but guests were not able to participate due to lack of chairs & limited space.
- We asked for a sea view room- But we could hardly view the sea from our balcony (room # 1322). The main view was the noisy pools with a little bit of sea.
- Cleanliness was poor on average. We expected better from the InterContinental. The daily cleaning of rooms was inadequate.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the pools- very noisy.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Silvana A
Martin B, General Manager at Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights, responded to this review, 28 October 2013

October 21st, 2013

Dear Silvana,

First of all, Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the InterContinental Taba Heights Resort and as well for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

As you know it was a festive period at the time you stayed with us and you expect the hotel to be busy and although the hotel was full , our team did a great job to cope and make every single guest happy and make our guests' holiday as enjoyable as possible and I appreciate you mentioning that our team were cooperative, nice and smiling all the time.

We, at the InterContinental Taba Heights Resort, host guests from different nationalities and of course we have already our rules set and clear to all of our guests.

I do appreciate your point of view and appreciate very much your comments and rest assured that we take guest comments seriously and look into every single feedback and make sure a corrective action is taken for any shortfall.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and it would be a pleasure to have you back should you give us another chance to show you the brighter side of our beautiful resort.

Best regards'

Martin Benker, General Manager of InterContinental Taba Heights Resort.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taba
Taba Hotel and Nelson Village
U Suites Eilat
#10 of 62 in Eilat
InterContinental Aqaba Resort
Movenpick Resort Taba Hotel

Been to Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights? Share your experiences!