“Wonderful holiday, great hotel”

Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Taba
County Durham
“Wonderful holiday, great hotel”
Reviewed 24 December 2008

We were a little concerned when we read previous reviews about this hotel but we can honestly say that our experience was fantastic, no negative comments at all.
The hotel is lovely, kept clean & tidy by all the staff. Our room was huge, it was a big advantage having a safe in the room plus fridge and tea/coffee making facilities. The shower was enormous, plenty of hot water too.
The pool area is great, plenty of sun loungers, staff on hand to serve drinks as & when required & a life guard on duty too.
The food was lovely, plenty of choice and too be honest we ate far too much, not sure what other people could have complained about.
The location is great, right on the beach, which is kept spotless by the staff, it was lovely to be able to walk along to the other hotels on an evening.
Our rep from Thomson's, Kathleen was great, always happy & full of information.
All in all a fantasic holiday from which we returned feeling very relaxed.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank 66hel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
essex
Reviewed 23 December 2008

went here back in october with girlfriend and other friends was a lovely hotel,
pros:- lovely location with a great golf course just out side, played couple of games would recomend to all golf fans. food was good just think some ppl are too fusy.
cons:- staff were not as good as holidays i have been on in sharm but didnt have any real complaints about them. russians were annoying but nothing you can do about it. sea live was a bit of a let down but again think thats beacuse iv already been sharm el shiek which is renound for its sealife.
overal was a great get away, prob wont go again as was slightly too quite for my liking but would recomend to anyone who just wants to chill and play some golf.
any question just ask.

• Liked — golf course next to hotel (location)
  • Disliked — staff, very hard to get surved.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
Beckenried, Switzerland
Reviewed 7 December 2008

We spent a weeks holiday at the Intercon at Taba Heights. The hotel was absolutely superb.

The rooms are in 3 buildings (The Crescent overlooking the pool & Sea; The Atrium overlooking the Lagoon and Sea; The Pentagon overlooking the Golf Course) of which we stayed in the Atrium. The room was standard room which was more than a satisfactory size and was kept very clean by the staff. Being a Platinum Priority Club Member the Hotel Manager welcomed us specially to the hotel on our arrival and knew our names whenever he passed us during our stay. This was a pleasant touch.

The restaurant was All Inclusive and had a good variety of meals that changed each day, which also included Arabic Mezze as well. There was also a seafood restaurant by the beach and the lagoon bar which served tapas (although both of those were not part of AI, but did offer a substantial discount for hotel guests. The drinks were always well presented and professionally served (unlike some other hotels in Taba Heights) and the AI could be taken at most of the bars. There was not much restriction on the AI drinks, other than the obvious such as champagne etc. There was no wrist bands which was a plus, just everything charged to the room account and those things over and above AI was settled at the end (of which there were no prblems).

The level of service was excellent, the food superb and we had a very relaxing 7 days at the Intercon. We will definately be going back.

• Liked — The fact that I couldn't fault it
  • Disliked — Our stay wasn't long enough
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fp2003
medway
Reviewed 29 November 2008

This was our second stay at the Intercontinental this year, our first being in July.
We could not fault a thing, the cleanleness was second to none, the food selection was very good and well prepared, the staff could not do enough for us and were the friendliest we have ever met. A special mention to our cleaner Ragab who did an excellent job.
We traveled with good friends we made in July and felt that we had never been away.
We have made some very good friends and will be returning next year.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
3 Thank keefyb
bath
Reviewed 25 November 2008

I never wrote a review when i first got back from my two week holiday in egypt but after recently reading the bad reviews on it i thought it was necessary to do so now!

My experience of the intercontinental hotel was overall an exceptional one! and the best ive had so far....

Me and my partner came to the intercontinental in june this year and were absolutely amazed at everything about it!

The hotel itself is in a fantastic location, the staff were so friendly and really couldnt do enough for you, i never carried a plate or drink to my table, in the main restaurant, the reef bar the staff were so friendly and really made the effort to make conversation with you!

The hotel was very clean and very well maintained with beautiful gardens and beautiful pools :)plenty of sunloungers.

the room was very spacious with a fantastic shower! it was absolutely huge, rooms were very clean and well maintained. the tv was fine there was quite a variety of films and entertainment, people who have made comments in the reviews about there not being much to watch on tv obviously dont know what a holiday is about because mine certainly doesnt consist of watching tv! there is much more to keep you occupied!
The food and drinks were fine had no faults what so ever, alot of people complained about it being the same food each week but to be honest when im at home i find we eat the same thing week in week out....

The only thing i will say is that we booked some excursions and i found that we were ill on a couple of them and didnt manage to go and we didnt get any kind of refund... but that was down to thomson not the intercontinental!

Also the staff at the pool bar were quite rude, but to be honest the reef bar wasnt much further so we just went to that bar instead as the staff there were so friendly!

The lagoon bar was a lovely place to go and have a few quiet drinks after your meal and we spent most of our evenings there!

As a whole i thoroughly enjoyed my time at the IC hotel and will be returning in june 2009 with my partner and his family :) dont let the bad reviews put u off!

• Liked — the shower!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank nix101
Sunderland UK
Reviewed 19 November 2008

After reading some very mixed reviews after booking a week all inclusive break at the intercontinental my partner and I were very dubious about how the hotel and more importantly the food would be.

Arrival at the hotel

We flew with Thomson from Manchester and first impressions were not great when we landed, we were pestered for money by the airport staff and were sat waiting in a coach to leave the airport for an hour waiting on 2 passengers on another bus. We left Taba airport in a convoy with a police escort which I wasn't aware of before leaving and was a bit worried by, however security is very tight and we crossed quite a few check points on a very winding road through the mountains before arriving in Taba Heights about 45 mins later. The intercontinental looked huge as we pulled up, very impressive. We went to check in and the porters sorted the luggage, our bags were brought to the rooms about 10 mins later. We had requested a double room when we booked and were put in a twin however it didnt really bother us as t was more comfortable to sleep so we didnt ask to be changed.

We went down to the Bay View restaurant as soon as our luggage had arrived as we were starving. There are 3 restuarants at the hotel however Bay View is the only one included in the all inclusive package. We stood behind a few other couples who had just arrived unawares of how to go on until a German family pushed past and seated themselves so we did the same.

The outside seating gets quite busy so we sat inside. Our drinks order was taken, we were unsure about the exact conditions of the all inclusive and thought we had to pay for the drinks we had ordered as we were asked to sign however the waiter assured us it was included. When our drinks arrived we helped ourselves to the buffet.

After some of the food reviews I was amazed at how good the food looked. There is a huge selection of salads and cold courses, meats, cheese, pasta and potato salads, olives and pickles.

There are a few main dishes every night, an average night there would be something like fish, beef, chicken, rice, two pasta dishes, a 'live cooking station' usually some sort of meat like lamb kebabs or chicken skewers and a carvery. There are also vegtables and a vegetarian dish. I never had a bad meal and the dinner was different every night, however some nights we wished it wasnt as if there was something really good on you wouldnt get it again.

On top of this there was an island with two soups and a huge variety of breads which all seemed to be cooked on site.

The desserts looked spectacular, one day there were 3 sculpted cakes, one of a skull with a huge snake passing though, a pharoh's mask and a desert island with palm trees. My only criticism of the desserts was that the more delicious they looked the less delicious they tasted and were sometimes a bit bland. There is also some boring looking desserts on a cart however they were absolutly delicous and was going up for seconds and thirds!! (anything eaten on holiday doesnt contain any calories at all so why not?)

Breakfast consisted of fresh fruit, yogurts, gorgeous pasteries and cereals. There was also cooked breakfast, bread and a toaster and the omlettes made in front of you at the cooking station were lovely. There was the usual cooked breakfast things like sausages, scrambled egg, beans and bacon however there werent anything like 'at home' and for me were the weakest point of the food at the hotel. 'Oriental' breakfast was available also which consisted of falafel (delicious) and a weird beany porridge like stuff which i tried and was a bit funky. I don't drink coffee however my partner didnt like it as the milk is more like cream and doesnt taste quite right. The tea is also a bit 'funny' but mainly down to the fact that fresh milk is very expensive out there as they can't keep it fresh for long in the heat.

There was also fresh orange and guava juice at breakfast and mineral water. Bottled water is also available in your room and all day in the all inclusive package.

Lunch was a lot like dinner and in my view fantastic. I think it depends how you eat at home, if your travelling with anyone fussy or kids there is no sort of fast food (and in my opinion that is only a good thing). Everything is cooked by the chefs and is very fresh and generally quite healthy. It depends what you like really but for me it was perfect.

Meal times are:

Breakfast 7-10
Lunch 1-3
Dinner 7-10.30
I personally thought that lunch and dinner started a bit late as my partner and I eat early at home however I think it's just standard across the country.

We dined one night at the lagoon restaurant which was a nice change ( the spicy prawns were delicious) and got 30L.E each credit towards the meal (about £5) and ended up paying £5 for the rest which was very reasonable (and of course drinks were included). We thought the seafood restaurant was a bit pricy so didnt dine there.

Drinks

Most drinks are all inclusive from 10am til 11pm (there are drinks available at breakfast before 10 as mentioned). All drinks written in red in the drinks menu are included in your package.The only things that weren't included are milkshakes, cappucinos, espressos and 'branded' alcohol. The beer is nice, I wasn't keen on the white and rose wine but enjoyed the red. None of the spirits were measured so if you don't like strong drinks just ask them, they will also put alcohol in the 'mocktails' which gives you a bit more variety on a night. You will be asked to sign for the drinks sometimes but not others. No one could work out why but just go along with it you don't get charged.

Service and staff

I was impressed with the friendliness of all of the staff, the waiters and pool boys seem to speak every language imaginable - there were English, French, German and Russian and they could speak fluently to everyone. Whilst by the pool it often took a long time for drinks to actually come to you so it's better to actually go up to the bar and wait. The pool boys were nice but a bit cheeky and tried to persuade my partner to give them his football shirt and would also splash us and even chucked one lad into the pool fully clothed. It was nothing malicious but they did fool around with us a lot. There was a lot of oldr couples and of course they didnt do anything like that with them but considering we are in our early 20's they messed about with us a lot. My only bad encounter with anyone was with some reception staff who wouldnt give us the 30L.E credit for the lagoon bar until we brought down a leaflet to prove we were entitled to it.

The pool and beach

The pool area was very clean and there was a team of dedicated gardeners keeping the plants well maintained. The heated pool was lovely but the larger pool with the swim up bar was a bit chilly when we were there in mid November. There is also a kids pool, indoor heated pool and the lagoon which we didnt go to. The beach is a bit pebbly on your feet and you need shoes to go into the water but you can see some lovely fish if you go snorkelling from the beach. The heated outdoor pool was just over a metre so good for kids and means you didnt have to get your hair wet. There were plenty of comfy padded loungers and you were never battling for one which was good.

The weather

Going in mid November was fantastic, it was still abt 30 degrees and there was a slight breeze which was nice. I get the impression it can get quite unbearable in summer though. The sun does set very early, half 4 is about the time you have to stop sunbathing so we found ourselves getting up at 7ish to make the most of the day. It does get very chilly on a night so bring a jacket, I wore a cardigan or hoodie on a night.

Excursions

We booked a few trips with Thomson, the first was quad bikin which was great, about £30 pp for an hour and lots of fun, would definitly recommend it.

We did a 'shopping and dinner' trip to Dahab for about £30 again, it took about an hour and a half on the coach for 1 hour shopping in tacky souvenier shops and a mediocre meal and w frankly a waste of money.

We walked down to waterworld (about 10 minutes down the beach) and booked paragliding, we both went up at once, there is a 25stone weight restriction however but the views were fantastic, costing about £40 for the both of us. It was an great thrill and gets your adrenaline going. We went back the next day to go on a glass bottom boat - £13 each which again was well worth it lasting an hour and we got to see all the coral and amazing fish without getting wet.

I would have also liked to go to Petra however at £138 plus border (another £14) I thought it was a bit steep considering youve already paid for all your meals and drinks.

Pharoh's revenge!

A lot of people complained of poorly tummies in some of the reviews I read before we got there so I was very worried about getting it. After a few too many drinks the first day I found myself on the toilet a lot of the morning. We had brought some immodium and I was fine after taking it but did feel a bit feverish later on in the night. It did pass in 24 hours and I talked to a lot of people who had had the same. I genuinly don't think that it was the food but more a change in climate and being dehydrated from the booze the day before. My boyfriend came down with the same the day we left and was ill on the plane and very feverish but that did follow again a full days drinking and not very much water. We meant immodium wasn't meant to work and that you shoulod go to the pharmacy in town and get something stronger however I was fine with it.

Taba Heights

We went on our last day to Taba Heights itself, there are a few shops and you have to barter for goods. There is a bus that takes you round the resort which is free to use and comes round regularly. On the way back we walked and it took about 20 mins.

The rooms

The rooms are all big, clean and comfortable. To our surprise there is a lot of English speaking channels, movie channels, comedies, sport and news. From the sun setting at 4.30 to dinner starting at 7 we watched a bit of telly and a film or two. The bathrooms have a huge shower which is lovely and are well lit. The balcony has good quality furniture and big enough to lounge on it the evening. There is a mini bar however it is not in the all inclusive package and is pricey so best avoided.

Other people at the hotel

There were a lot of other British guests when we were there, and very few childen but that was probably down to going during term time. The people there were mainly couples but were all very friendly and we left with quite a few more friends.

There were a lot of French arriving to the back end of the week as well as Russians and a few Germans, they were quite rude to the waiting staff and it appeared the British got a few extra privileges like a few rounds of drinks at once when the last orders for all inclusive were given which was nice.

Coming home

The transfer to the airport was late and there seemed to be about 4 flights leaving to the UK at the same time so there was a lot of queueing and confusion. The toilets were shambolic, go before you leave and wait til your on the plane before you go
again!! The airport only has one gate so you can imagine what it was like with 4 planes worth of passengers all fighting to get home. It was sad that our memories of Taba were tainted by our final and open memories being of the airport.

Overview of the holiday,

We really did enjoy our time in the intercontinental and were sad to have to go after a week. I didnt hear anybody complaining about anything significant (apart from one woman kicking up a fuss about the plates not being hot enough) but really if thats all you can complain about you have had a pretty good time. The only improvements I could really suggest to the place is that the all inclusive package didnt include everthing the hotel had to offer and that the minibar and all the restaurants should have been included in that. We would definitly recommend it to anyone wanting a relaxing hol sitting by the pool or on the beach with good company, good food and flowing booze.

Would I go back? Although I did enjoy our time there I wouldn't go back straight away as there are loads of other countries and places I want to go. Would I go back to the intercontinental if I was going to Egypt? Without a doubt.

11 Thank abigail09
Leeds
Reviewed 18 November 2008

This is our 2nd time at Taba Heights and we had a lovely time again on our return. The hotel is gorgeous and definately a 5 star hotel. The rooms are spacious and they have massive beds! They are cleaned daily and the sheets are also changed every day. We went half board this time as we could not get an AI deal as this hol was last minute. For all the AI customers the drinks were flowing and service was very quick. The food is buffet style with a different theme each night. I love salads and there was plenty on offer. My boyfriend is very picky with food, and practically obsessed with food hygiene and even he enjoyed it...the hygiene is very good, definitely not as bad as claimed in other reviews, but use your common sense...if you're unsure, don't eat it. For all those who had tummy upsets and insist it's the food, I simply don't believe it. My boyfriend did have a bit of a dodgy tummy but we put it down to him swollowing the odd bit of sea/pool/tap water as we both ate pretty much the same and I was fine. The entertainment was very good with something different on each night. If you want to relax and totally unwind Taba heights is the place to go. There is not allot going on at night expect for the hotel entertainment. We walked to the other hotels some nights for a change of scenery. The resort is very good for snorkelling with crystal clear seas and lots of sea life on the coral reefs which span the length of the sea shore, the Hyatt and Sofitel have the best spots. Our holiday was fab (again) and we will definately be returning again in a few years. Don't be put off by the other reviews. We have visited all the other hotels at Taba heights and The Intercontinental is best by far!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — nothing!
6 Thank elliefont
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taba
Taba Hotel and Nelson Village
U Suites Eilat
#9 of 62 in Eilat
InterContinental Aqaba Resort
Movenpick Resort Taba

Been to Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights? Share your experiences!