“Surprisingly fantastic holiday”

Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Taba
croydon
“Surprisingly fantastic holiday”
Reviewed 15 September 2010

After having read some of the negative reviews about this hotel, I was not particularly looking forward to going on holiday, and after the awful queing at Gatwick then being told that our case was 2kg overweight & having to transfer some stuff into our hand luggage (only to have it taken away at passport control as it breached the 100ml regulation size) then to top it off we were 5 1/2 hours delayed...I was thinking that the writing was on the wall and this was really going to be a disaster.....however as small as Taba airport is we were through pasport control & found our cases waiting for us and were on the coach within about 15 minutes of landing.

Once at the hotel it didnt take long to check-in and a little porter arrived in a golf buggy to take us & our case straight to our room, which was far better then expected. The room was bigger then any other that we have stayed in, with a lovely spacious bathroom (huge shower) and all very clean. When we got up in the morning and went out onto the balcony (massive) we faced onto the golf course, with the mountains to the left & the beach to the right, the balconies themselves are very private and you are not overlooked by anybody (not even your neighbours).

All-inclusive meals are served in the restaurant, the girls are welcoming and seat you (we never had to wait) and usually the waiter will be there to take your drink order as you are sitting down. The food itself is plentiful and there really is something for everyone and each mealtime, I cannot imagine what other reviewers of this hotel have found to complain about, the food is cooked really well and we never suffered the dreaded 'pharoahs tummy' once, yes OK maybe the chairs could do with a bit of TLC but when you consider that most people sit on them with their wet swim-suits on, it's really not surprising that they look a bit tatty, and you only have to sit on them, not eat your food off of them!!!!!

The pool's are lovely, though it would seem that people get up extremely early to do that 'towel on the bed thing', but we found the beach to be much quiter & more private, you will need to invest in a pair of diving shoes as the coral & pebbles make it difficult to get into the water, but it is worth it to see all the fishes swiming in the rock pools left behind by the out-going tides, and the sea is lovely and warm.

The salt-water lake is equally appealing and yes the fishes do take to nibbling at your feet, it's actually quite funny listening to peoples reaction to them.

We never went on any of the excursions, mainly because we were only there for a week, and just wanted to relax.

We never encountered any rudness and all the staff seemed happy and eager to help if you needed it. Our room was kept spotlessly clean and we always had a good supply of tea & coffee.

Please dont be put off of this hotel by any of the terrible stories that you might read, like I was, it far exceeded my expectations and I will definately be returning in the future.

Oh and as a post-script.......the sun shines shines shines!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank palacegirlCroydon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2010

Having just returned from 2 weeks stay at the Intercontinental, Taba Heights ,
I,m sorry to say that this hotel does not meeet the expectations of a Thomson Platinum 5 star hotel, at most i would say is it is 4star. The Bay View restaurant i have to say is one of the worst i have ever visted
1, The furniture is very shabby, and soiled
2 Carpet soiled
3. Most of the food is served reheated, and not up to the required temperatures,
4 Not much selection of food Main Dishes
5 Only three times in our two week stay did we have a table cloth on at evening Dinner.
6 Always something missing on the table .e.g fork , salt pot , napkin, never a fully set table
7 Crockery chipped, especially plates on underside rim.
8 Water marked cutlery
Some of these things may seem trivial and i have to agree, but this holiday is sold as a 5 Star Platinum holiday on the Thomson website.and that is what we all four of us expected
The overall holiday we enjoyed, polite staff who could not do enough for you, a good quiet location , brilliant weather, very clean throughout. and beautiful well kept gardens
But Bay View needs a good makeover.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank alan3250
Worcester
Reviewed 12 September 2010

Returned this week from a lovely, relaxing 2 week stay at this hotel. Having read some of the rather negative reviews over the past few months I was slightly concerned that we may have a few issues but happily, we did not experience any problems and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
The hotel and it's location are stunning, just as it looks in the brochure. Do make the effort to get up early and watch the sun rise over the mountains in Jordan - accompanied by bird song and soft piped music it really is spectacular - the best part of the day.
As for the food....this is the main topic where this hotel gets it's criticism. All four of us ate well every day - a good choice, well cooked and presented. Probably not 5* in some peoples eyes but those people who did express this view to me did all agree that it was perfectly acceptable. We did have a meal at El Mar and, yes, the food is one step up but the atmosphere on the night we went was not so good. The room service food is also very good and reasonable (try taking 2 teenage sons who have their own room and NOT get a couple of room service bills!) My only criticism of the main dining room was, yes, the state of the chairs and carpets. I had noted other reviewers mentioning this before and thought it rather petty but I have to say that the Hotel should really look to getting this rectified.
The staff were hard working, friendly and courteous - do take a note with a few greetings/words in Arabic and use them - they will be delighted.
Pool area's and beach lovely. Get yourself a pair of water shoes from the hotel shop to get in over the rocky parts at the shore line. If you don't want to walk to the jetty at the Hyatt, there's some coral islands just down the beach - walk in in line with the first parasols of the Marriott next door and you will be able to snorkel in fairly shallow waters (suits me as I don't like snorkelling in deep water)
Did the Sinai star trip with the Bedouin - stars were great, not sure I would want to spend much time with the Bedouin though! Food, which they prepared was good. Everyone on our trip just seemed slightly on edge at first - be prepared for the fact that you will have an armed security man on the coach and a police escort - normal for this part of the world but can be slightly alarming until you get used to the idea.
VIP cruise good. Tip - You will pay £55.00 per person for this compared to £39.00 for the basic cruise. Both boats go out together and sail/stop together so apart from the fact we maybe had a slightly better meal, I would suggest going on the basic cruise. No kids allowed under 15 on the VIP but in fact the other boat only had 2 children on it and about half the adults so in fact, they were better off - we didn't book the VIP cruise to avoid children - we thought it would be that little bit more special and it wasn't so for us the extra money spent wasn't worth it. Note no alcohol served on either trip!
Didn't do any other trips but someone staying did do the dolphin trip to Israel and it was fabulous. They, however ,did it themselves and booked the swim directly with Dolphin Reef, got taxi's to and from the borders for a fraction of the cost you will pay through the tour operator. You will have to pay border fees either way - Thomson's quick glance costs don't include these so bear that in mind.
Tummy problems! As soon as you get there pop to the chemist uptown on the taf taf bus and get some tablets - just tell the chemist you want tablets for a bad tummy and he will give you what you need - at the first sign of problems, take one, Simple. Couple of times I had a problem I took a tablet or two and the problem disappeared almost immediately. The tummy problems are NOT food poisoning. Quite simply down to change in diet and the heat.
Internet access about £18.00 for 24 hours.
My husband and youngest son had a couple of rounds and enjoyed themselves. I have not the slightest interest in golf but I did go on our last day @ 0630 and drove my son's buggy which was great fun!!
Thomson's flights and transfers good. Did have a 2 hour delay on the way back thanks to those darn French air traffic controllers but not the end of the world. One of our suitcases did end up flying to Manchester and we flew to Birmingham but we got it back in the end! With 3 flights returning to the UK in quick succession from Taba I think this happens quite a bit - there was a Gatwick suitcase going round and round on our carousel in Birmingham and another family who had flown in with us had the same problem but it's not the end of the world as long as you get it back in the end!
I could go on and comment on other things but would probably bore the pants off everyone - go and enjoy this lovely hotel in it's spectacular setting.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank WorcesterOzzers
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2010

Just returned from another visit to this very clean, friendly, helpful hotel on a great beach. The hotel and its rooms are very large and clean, the staff are very helpful and friendly, including the reception staff, room cleaners and pool attendants. The restaurant always has something that you can eat and is always well presented; the restaurant staff are always smiling and very helpful.
The pools are large and clean as is the area surrounding the pools.
The hotel is situated on the beach which is soft sand, there are some pebbles at the waters edge, but nothing to worry about.
Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank snolyn100
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2010

Just returned from this hotel and like other people I had read the previous reviews so didn't know what to expect.
I don't want to have a moan as we all thought the hotel was lovely, but I think that Thomsons should communicate with the hotel more when guests have made requests re the accomadation. I booked through First Choice and the staff at the shop were more than helpfull sat and went through hotel facilities etc before we booked. I have mobility problems and requested a ground floor room or room near a lift, close to all the facilities, the staff at first choice rang customer services in my presence and asked if this was possible as we also were booking 5 rooms for our family to travel with us and would like them to be together for childminding etc. We were assured this wasn't a problem as we were booking so early (10 months prior to travel)
We arrived late at night and were ushered straight into the dining room to eat which we were very glad of after the long trip. we were then taken to a golf buggyto take us to our rooms, after what seemed like a 10 min drive we got to our room, we were concerned as we had asked to be near facilities but were told no problem the buggy had to go the long way around but it was only a 2 min walk through the garden to the pool and reception. The room was spacious but we noticed a couple of large ants, after walking into the room we saw more and more, we counted at least 25 so I waited outside, we checked the other rooms and they had a couple, we rang reception and they said they would send housekeeping. We waited almost an hour for someone to turn up, by which time our room floor was covered in these ants, Now I know some of you will be reading this and saying so what a few ants, but I can assure you I have never seen ants as big and watching them they were attacking the smaller ants so we were worried that they might bite and we had our grandsons with us in cots.
Housekeeping arrived and started to spray all around the room, which killed the ants instantly, the only problem we had then is that I have asthma so couldnt go into the room. We asked for a room change but were told the hotel was full so we couldnt move.

In the morning we all set of through the gardens for our 2 min walk for breakfast, after 10 mins and thinking we were lost we asked and were told we were going the right way it was about another 5 mins so a 20 min walk for me, granted the other members of our partly are able bodied but it still took them a good 10 mins to get to any facilities, we found out that we were the furthest away form the main hotel that you could be.
When we eventually did get to see the Thomson rep he informed us that if you book a standard room they are on the perimiter of the complex only if you pay extra for the sea or pool view rooms are you near to the facilities.I was shocked nowhere in the brochure or on the internet does it say that you have to pay a supplement or you will be on the perimeter of the complex, if we had known that we would have paid the extra.I was shown the booking form that had been sent to the hotel and all it said was ground floor adjoining rooms, no mention of mobility problems or near to facilities. I would advise anyone with mobility problems to pay the extra as I ended up going out of the room in the morning and trying to stay out as it was too much to keep making the trek back and forth to the room.
The hotel itself is lovely, majority of the staff very hard working, we had a problem with staff in the Arches bar being rude but after having a word with the manager it was sorted straight away, good choice of food and replenished frequently, Laggon Bar staff very friendly, swim up bar a great idea, if you dont want to get changed for lunch you can eat at the beach bbq. I agree with previous comments as to the dining room chairs, several stained and threadbare but then the amount of parents letting their children stand on them with food instead of sitting them at the table it's no wonder they are a bit grubby.
The manager came around several times asking if everyone was happy and asking for suggestions for improvements. We would go again but would pay to be nearer to the main complex.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 September 2010

Our 4th time to Taba Heights and second visit to the Intercontinental (first 2 to the Hyatt). We flew with Thomson - I was impressed with the size of the plane, much bigger than we had flown to Taba before. Although delayed, the flight was fine. When we got to the hotel, it was past the 11pm AI curfew, but I was very pleased they directed us in to the restaraunt and gave us food and drink. A quick check in followed.

A great room over looking the pool with a wonderful view. The staff are very hardworking and always polite and helpful and you can have a laugh with them too. There is always someone cleaning, sweeping or cutting to keep the hotel looking smart - even a chap with a snorkle on cleaning the walls of pool!

As it was our second visit, we were given a gift voucher to eat in one of the non AI restaraunts, which was a lovely touch. We ate in the Lagoon restaraunt and could order all we wanted.

I had a massage which was relaxing - I used the indoor pool, only to find out why it's so quiet - it's freezing! But also very refreshing.... The indoor pool is free but you can pay 10 dollars to use the steam room etc. for a day. The OH played golf and enjoyed his round.

The food is great, although after 2 weeks you may find it a bit samey - but I loved it. The soups are really tasty. Lots to choose from. Really delicious. My only complaint was the state of the chairs in the restaurant. People come in sweaty and wet from the pool and the chairs are quite grubby. I did mention this at the Managers Cocktail Party (wine and beer!) and it seemed I wasn't the first to mention it - but we were positive about all other aspects. The 'party' which was mainly a request for feedback to the duty manager, I felt was a good idea and they seemed genuinely interested in what you had to say. There is air con in the restaurant (although they have the doors open so it may not always feel like it), but not in reception - we sat outside at night to have our meals and drinks. Still very warm at night.

We did have a bit of a sore tum, but nothing Imodium didn't clear up in a jiffy.

Snorkelling is good up by the Hyatt but in the years we have going, we have noticed a deterioration in the coral although lengths are taken to protect it. The best snorkling is on the boat trip from Waterworld - well worth it.

We went for a chill out week - to relax and that is exactly what we got - as others have said, don't expect UK 5 star - but go with an open mind and you will have a great time.

Evening entertainment is low key (but OK) and the playing of Abba and Mika is popular by the pool! We gave up smoking 5 years ago but indulged in a few sheshia's, the guys serving were brilliant. Don't expect lots of nightlife, it is a quiet resort.

The bus to the shops/other hotels is rather random - but OK - The shops are fine, with lots of 'special discounts' to be had ;0)...

The trip home was not so good - delayed due to French strikes (not Thomsons fault) but it could of been handled much better by the reps (althought they were great on the holiday itself) - I was pleased to see Taba airport has been improved from our last visits there. Better and cleaner loos were a bonus. Would I go back? Yes...

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pentljoe
Nazareth, Israel
Reviewed 8 September 2010

dear all

this is the 6th time i travel to TABA, 3 times to Hyatt Regency, 2 to Hilton

never had a health problem ! or service problem !

first time all-inclusive at the InterContinental

my parents + wife + 1 child + 1 baby 8 months all got food/drink poisoned after 2 days, period !
the baby probably got it from the breastfeeding !
according to the doctor, you get poisoned mostly from drinks ! and i believe so since at all inclusive at InterContinental, i suspect they didn't clean the glasses as they should ! due to massive drinking from guests all the time !

also the food is not tasty at all !

there is one large pool, so it is very crowded !

the rooms and the hotel complex is nice and new, but not convenient, if you get a distance room you need to use 3 elevators to get to dining room ! very unconvenient with a stroller

the service was also awful ! we asked for joined rooms, but never got !
tried to get ICE-CREAM for my child ! and they reject you even if you get on time, to try to be miser

can't do Snorkeling at the beach or swim ! the Hyatt has a much better ! the Sofitel beach is also much better with a + of being a sandy beach

i think all-inclusive is a loose-loose situation in TABA, not like in turkey !

left to Hyatt Regency, full board ! everything is much much better !
the staff very friendly !
the service is fast when you ask for drinks and pay for them ! and you get the drink bottled!
the quality of food is very good ! and much more tasty !
many pools spread over ! you don't feel crowded !

this review is not a fiction ! believe me

best holiday !

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank saleemNazareth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taba
Taba Hotel and Nelson Village
U Suites Eilat
#10 of 62 in Eilat
InterContinental Aqaba Resort
Movenpick Resort Taba Hotel

Been to Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights? Share your experiences!