“LOVED IT...IGNORE ALL THE BAD REVIEWS FAB PLACE”

Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Taba
Reviewed 30 September 2010

InterContinental Taba Heights

After reading many of the reviews I was slightly wary of where I was about to go for my holiday with my partner and being we are both very fussy I thought im not even going to say anything and just see how this goes.

When we landed and taken to the smallest airport I have ever seen, qued through all the people and everything sorted taken to our coach, police escorted (don’t be alarmed) to hotels.

The Intercontinental took off all our luggage, the sorted by rooms, us taken inside to check in but as queue was rather big we was taken down to get dinner, which baring in mind the time I thought was great….the food at 12am was ok im not going to rave about it and actually I feared if it was like this I would be looking for food else where….

Checked in all ok, taken to room and WOW the room was lovely and big, and bathroom, walk in shower even phone by the toilet if you wanted chat whilst you was on there lol
Very clean also, little toiletries bath robes and slippers.
Room had great big bed, safe, air con, lots of clothing and draw space, TV with good channels to a lot of English.

Balcony where we stayed was HUGE we was a 1st floor room and a corner room so the balcony went all the way round so this was great and furniture outside also.

Morning came and breakfast was actually very very nice. Obviously no pork traditional bacon or sausage but they had beef bacon and chicken sausages which where good, a lot of cereal fruit was good orange juice apple juice etc.
Served in big dinning hall and waiters very very helpful…one thing though as there are such a larger amount of people in 1 sitting to get a drink takes abit of time so order 2 in 1 go.

The lunch also was surprisingly good a lot of choice everyday was different and I found the home made soup was beautiful.

Also there was a large selection of fresh bread, we found the bread you cut yourself is just the best and what you would expect in England.

Dinner also was great the food I can not fault to be honest, a lot of desserts, salads.

If you like your food then GOOD because we was eating 3 course meals lunch and dinner, and we are both very fussy with our foods.

We did have dinner at one of the ala carte restaurants that you have to pay for which I found abit cheeky but still it was lovely great bit of steak and massive portions.

The pools where all lovely and well you will spend a lot of time in them, the weather was just so hot so sosososososososo hot I seriously thought when people where telling us before we went how hot it was they was lying, well they are not.
Even at night its very very hot.

A lot of activities to do, water aerobics, volleyball, football etc

But overall with out going on anymore I love this place my one downer on it is the reception NEEDS air con it is so hot and im not going to lie you will probably get delayed going home as the airport is so small and they amout of people there aloud in at one time to the amount going home is just a nightmare.

BUT all in all I think you should ignore the negative reviews and take all the good ones at the truth and do not let it put you off it is a really lovely welcoming place and I will be sure to be going back.

Also if you need a supermarket go on the shuttle bus to the town and its got all english goodies

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dani_2010_10
Write a ReviewReviews (2,275)

Reviewed 30 September 2010

When choosing a holiday I guess a lot of people do as we do, select a location, troll through countless brochures for the best deal and make a decision. It just beggars belief what "SOME" people expect to receive for thier holiday budget these days having read some of the most negative reviews aimed at the 5* Intercontinental Hotel, Taba
Both my wife and I have been back 8 days now and having had time to reflect, in "OUR" opinion the all inclusive package was well worth my money. Yes I noted a few reviews made comments about a number of dinning room chairs could do with a little refurbishment but taking into consideration the amount of wear they endure on a daily basis "SO WHAT" that in it's self does not contribute to spoiling all the other attributes this hotel has to offer it's visitors.
We like many others were delayed at Gatwick by 4hrs + which made our arrival at the Intercontinental late approx 1.30am. Drinks and food were layed on but we did 'nt take up the offer opting to go direct to our room, interesting ride on the golf buggy. Room> Large space with comfortable double bed some I believe had 2 singles. Plenty of storage with free integrated safe + adequate number of coat hangers, 2 lounge chairs & table, writing desk & sideboard with lamps dotted about. VERY efficient air con system, BOY DO YOU NEED IT, all very comfortable & welcoming. Bathroom > again good size with big top to bottom tiled shower cubical, magnificent, this coupled with no shortage of hot water throughout the holiday pleased my wife know end. Clean bath / hand towels / flanels/ bed linen were regularly changed our room was straightened up and cleaned daily to top it all tea & coffee makeing facility was available in the room. WHAT MORE COULD YOU ASK.
Most criticism seemed to be directed toward the food. In our opinion it was very diverse but rightly so, as bearing in mind to cover the tastes for all nationalities is not an easy task, so we took the view, that you can not please all of the people all of the time but with the number of chefs flying around who, bye the way, without doubt to a man were very approachable, if there was any special requirement they would if at all possible do their best to accommodate, as I did on a number of occations being a lover of Spaghetti Bolognaise Over-all we enjoyed MOST of the food selection.
Dinning arrangements were the usual buffet format which at times did get a little hectic but the young ladies ( Special thanks to the smiling Nagla & Hala) who directed us to our table and waiters (nodding head) Mohamed , Essam, Supervisors and the rest of the waiters, who bye the way do work extremely hard for little nueration to make your
meal times as enjoyable funny and comfortable as their able.
Anybody who is seeking a peaceful restful and safe holiday in fantastic surroundings put aside the negatives and check out the Intercontinental, you will not be disapointed.
A Quick mention, if your a person who enjoys Tye food take a visit to the Birds Nest @ Three Corners.
SALLY & MIKE >> 7th to 21st Sept/10

Reviewed 26 September 2010

Honest from the start after reading some of the other reviews, heres our account Taba airport is like a postage stamp so was really suprised how fast we were off the plane and picking up our luggage 1/2 hour max, check in at the hotel was great within 10 mins of arriving we where checked in and going for food. Please note you do not get a wrist band at this hotel but you do have to keep giving your room number to everyone dont worry you will not get charged for anything its just so you dont have to wear a tag all your holiday.
Room very spacious and clean,even got bathrobes and slippers and tea/coffee making facilities, huge walk in shower (i miss that)
Food - large selection and very nice ( our 2 fussy teenagers didnt go hungry at all )
cleanliness of dining area - some areas where a little worn and stained but if you think how many people go through the place it cant stay immaculate, outside yes there are birds around the tables little sparrows but they are funny to watch when they are trying to steal the suger sachets, i watched as every table was cleared a waiter would scrub the table down for the next guest (with soap and water not just a damp cloth) you cant keep the birds away its ourdoors!! only netting would keep them from the area and what an eyesore that would be, just enjoy them like we did.
hand sanitisor was situatated at both entrances to dining area but i hardly saw any guest use it whilst i was there, then people moan about things like tummy upsets and how unclean things are ???
TUMMY UPSETS are from over endulging not the food itself (would you back at home have chicken beef and fish all on one plate !!!)
Staff - all very freindly and helpfull but also very busy they work long hard hours.
Beach - lovely beach excpet from the rocks you have to clamber over to get into the sea im sure this could be improved on, but just a short walk up the beach are the jetties ideal to go snorkleing.
Pool area -pool bar very welcoming on very hot days, and quite and relaxed, aerobics in the mornings if you wanted to join in but wasnt hassled at all to join in with any of the activities,
Indoor pool and spa - very relaxing and chilled out and open 6am - 11pm
Lagoon- yes the fish do nip in here if you stay still so keep moving, this is due to people feeding them they now feed on us, was funny listening to people in the lagoon though
ALL IN ALL HA A GREAT TIME UNTILL
TABA AIRPORT - departure - one room (wouldnt even call it departure LOUNGE) duty free shop no bigger than a corner shop with no stock in !!
ONE GATE so no need to look around for ya gate number NO information screens and then to top it off the airport officals start arguing !! the same guy that checked our baggage in was now working the gate !! did he also work in the cafe??? was he going to fly us home aswell??
GREAT HOLIDAY third time to Egypt and will be going back but not to TABA AIRPORT

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2010

Just came back from a weeks stay at the Intercontinental. Been to Sofitel twice and thought would try the different Hotel this year. Love Taba, the scenery, the sea, the people - don't even mind the airport your guided the whole way through and each time I've been there it has been a good experience. Love everything about Egypt and have been many times to various locations. Not so sure about the general moaning of most of the English people that probably would usually go to Greece or Cyprus but decided on Egypt as you get more for your money against the Euro! So perhaps next year will choose another less known location in Egypt.
Staff at the Intercontinental - wonderful - do tip them as they work really hard for not much. Little and often is good.
Didn't enjoy the Bay View restaurant I'm not a fussy eater but this is possibly the worst international buffet I've eaten at. Breakfast and lunch are good but the evening meal is not much of an occasion. (And the chairs are horrible. I must agree) Maybe this was a good thing as this time we decided to take advantage of the dine around option. The Birds Nest restaurant at El Wakala is the best Thai food we have ever tasted. Had 2 wonderful evenings there with a magnificent view over Saudi, a lovely bottle of red (£20), and 4 course meal for what came to £50 absolutely more than worth it! The Tandoori pub was suberb as well, bottle of wine and a curry £30.
Never get a bad tummy in Egypt just don't be greedy and drink to much and you will be fine!
If your not sure whether Sofitel or Intercontinental depends what you enjoy we found the Sofitel quieter more relaxing peaceful whereas everything was geared to the pool at Inter with constant music - Celine Dion?? All day??, but as it was the best place to be near water to keep cool we were trapped!! The Sofitel beach is better as it has the best snorkelling and you can shower on the beach. We like to see the scenery and listen to the surroundings - but if you like noisy pool and busy pool bar then Inter would be better for you. That said there were 2 other bars at the Inter that were lovely and relaxing and quiter. Hotel rooms are similiar all very good, clean etc. It's not a terrible Hotel but if we go back it will be to the Sofitel.

3  Thank Sallyhatesflying
Reviewed 21 September 2010

Firstly, sorry this is a bit late. Always saying I will get round to it, but haven't until now.
Forgive me if I sound a tad pompous, but, '5 star rating' is from the tour operator, not, as is in this country. The rating is based on overall amenities etc (something that you moaners about 'not 5' star' could easily find out before you go, if you only had the common sense to actually read the information in the travel brochure about ratings)
This was our first visit to this hotel.
I don't need to go into the basics as they have already been covered more than adequately by previous reviews.
What I will cover is the fact that this hotel has the very best staff that we have encountered
in all our many travels.
They are the most remarkable people and it was a privilage to meet them.
Meal times were a pleasure, food was always very good and varied each day. (only problem we encountered were the barging in , no patience guests, of all Nationalities I might add, but thankfully there were a few of us, from different countries, who had manners)
Service second to none.
It baffles me as to some of the comments made on here. Perhaps some of the complainers about the restaurant, service and food could do better working in temperatures of 50+ degrees? (I don't think so!) Also bear in mind that the rudeness and sheer ignorance of some of the guests were more than anyone ought to endure.
If you really had a problem with the food etc, then Mr Magdhi is a most amenable man.
(He is the Food and Beverage Manager, also a gentleman who has travelled the world and knows his stuff!)
Too late to come back and moan about it! But then again, maybe that is all you want to do.
If you want 'Benidorm' then go there! (or Caribbean...etc...yawn) Or anywhere else that you can gorge yourself on 24 hour food and drink!
Snacks are not necessary, only if you are a glutton, no other way of putting it.
This holiday was excellent value for money,
The location is superb, staff go above and beyond to ensure that you have a fantastic holiday.
Try talking to thes staff as equals and you will find out just what very nice and genuine people they are. (No, they do not need to have their palms 'greased' first and neither, in our experience, do they expect it! )
Also, learn how to greet them. say please and thank you in their language before you go. The least we can do in the name of good grace, we expect visitors to our country to have learnt he basic rudimentarie's, so why then should we not do the same?
So impressed were we by this hotel and staff that we have booked to go back next year, something we have never done before, not having believed in going back to the same hotel twice.
This is the exception to what we have done previously.
Please ignore all the stupid negatives about this hotel, go and experience it, you won't regret it.
We went to the beach every day, but that is personal preference. No problem getting sunbeds!
We had a meal at the the 'El Mare' restaurant, truly world class cuisine. No, it's not included in the 'All inclusive', ( Just what do you want for the money you have paid?) , but , at an average of £30pp for three corses, absolute value for money! (Get the eqivalent meal in the West end of London if you can, all you '5 star gourmets! Not that you really know what you are talking about)
We were truly very happy with every aspect of our stay.
Can't wait to return and counting down the days already!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Snowdrop60
Reviewed 21 September 2010

How this accommodation can be classed as a 4-5 star platinum hotel by Thomson is quite beyond me, the majority of the staff seemed as though they couldn't be bothered to engage in any kind of conversation even down to the briefest of good morning, good evening. The amount of cracked or chipped crockery was unbelievable in a restaurant that served food that was way way below par and the cleanliness of the restaurant seating and carpet area I would score a generous 1 out of 10.I may not have minded the daily queuing for my breakfast and evening meal if I felt the end result was worth it.
If you do however enjoy queuing then this vacation could light your fire, from the hour long wait to get one plane load off passengers through passport control you can then look forward to another hour of queuing at hotel reception to be checked in.
The room accommodation was large but once again left a little to be desired in cleanliness and the towels all seemed a bit grubby, the bed was large and quite comfortable but when the sheets were changed they had a couple of holes in them.
The buildings I felt was a cross between Butlins and a prison block.
On a positive note, when we, on one night decided to eat at one of the non all inclusive restaurants (the El Mare) it was very nice indeed , and the weather was beautiful - but they alone would not tempt me back.

4  Thank Mr-worc
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Recently returned from The Intercontinental, Taba. Two weeks of rest and relaxation in wonderful surroundings. The hotel and staff were excellent. Beaches and hotel grounds all very clean and tidy. Rooms were clean and spacious although maybe in need of some refurbishment. There was a large and varied selection of food in the dining area. Quality of food overall was very good but on occasions could be a little on the cold side. Maybe this could be improved with having two seperate sittings, especially for the evening meal. Our only other comment on the food side is about the twice weekly Bedouin barbecue on the beach. The cost was 165EP, roughly £20. We considered this rather expensive as we had already booked all inclusive.
Overall a brilliant holiday inrelaxing, quiet surroundings.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank postieandwife
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taba
Taba Hotel and Nelson Village
#8 of 22 in Taba
Isrotel Yam Suf Hotel
Movenpick Resort Taba
Sofitel Taba Heights

Been to Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights? Share your experiences!