Aroha Taveuni
Taveuni Dive Resort(Taveuni Island)
US$300
US$270
  • Pool
US$1,098
US$960
Garden Island Resort(Taveuni Island)(Great Value!)
US$209
US$172
Agoda.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Sau Bay Fiji Retreat(Waiyevo)(Great Value!)
US$247
US$180
Agoda.com
  • Beachfront
Paradise Taveuni(Taveuni Island)
US$539
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Nakia Resort & Dive(Taveuni Island)
Taveuni Palms Resort(Matei)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsdennis and ngaireoutdoor showerrainbow reefbase to explorebeachfront bureperfect hostsmedical missionsomosomo straitfishnatural water slidesowners and staffa special placestayed longercoastal walkamazing foodevery mealkitchenette
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We staid at Aroha for 7 nights in September 13 and really enjoyed it. The bure was clean, comfortable and spatious the location and view over the ocean or on the mountains at the rear is stunning. It was discussed with the guests every evening what they might like the next day for dinner, and it turned out that they have a great cook. The resulting dinner changed between fijian and more international style and was delicious. So we joined it every evening, although we did not pre-book it.
Aroha is close to a small village with some basic shops. In combination with the small kitchen part in the bure you can live self-sustaining if you want.

I completely agree with the positive reviews here in tripadvisor. To avoid to be just redundant with them, I will focus on some specific aspects for wheelchair drivers (as I am).
The wheelchair accessible bure I booked was really fine (much better than I expected in this remote area and better than most other accomodations I had in the Southern Pacific area): enough space, bathroom with suitable shower, and things I needed to reach were reachable for me. There are a few steps in front of the bure, but Dennis constructed a ramp suitable for me (anyhow, if you have special ideas about what you need, contact Aroha in advance. I am quite sure that they will make things possible).
The bures are surrounded by gras, however, the ground was flat and solid (although we had some rain), so this was not a real problem for the wheelchair.
I could also reach the sandy beach without problems.
The area for dinner and the office were accessible via some steps, so I needed to be lifted. However, there were always some helping hands. As far as I know, they open a new restaurant building in winter 2013/14, so this may be solved.
Aroha organized some stunning tours for us, e.g. to a local farm and to Bouma National Heritage park. They also supported us solving our problems with the airplane transport. We had organized the transport of my electric wheelchair by the national carrier in agreement with the carrier before booking from Germany. However, the local staff of the airline was not really interested in this agreement and refused the transport. So we had to find a substitution. Finally, it was done by a charter company. In future, I will go to Taveuni by this charter airline and/or by ferry (yes,ferries are tardy, but not as tardy as I thought. The ferry we used on our way to Taveuni was not wheelchair optimized, but at least it had a lift).
Generally, there are some obstacles for wheelchairs in Taveuni, but you'll find always friendly helping hands. The local people there are very kind, sociable and not " altered" by too much tourism.

Summarized, I had a absolutely great time at Aroha and on Taveuni. And, yes, I am thinking about going there again soon, although I had different plans.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Burkhard H
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We definitely endorse all the other positive reviews of this wonderful property. Stunning gardens, spotless accommodation that is serviced daily, warm and friendly service and beautiful views. We have three active (and noisy!) boys and I think Ngaire and Dennis may have been slightly apprehensive when we arrived (gosh I don't blame them - am apprehensive myself!) but they were welcoming and treated the kids really nicely. Taveuni itself is just gorgeous - untouched and not overly developed, it gives you a great taste of what Fiji is really all about. It's the sort of place where you need to get out an experience it - there's some great walks, snorkelling, beaches etc. Given this it does work out to be more expensive than a holiday spent lounging around the pool so that needs to be kept in mind. And whilst the bures do have a kitchen the local shops only have a very limited selection of goods available so you do end up eating out quite a bit which adds to the cost. The food at Aroha is fabulous - we had dinner there one night and brekkie each morning - and is well beautifully cooked and presented too. Another thing to note is it is very hot on the island - we stayed the following week at Denaru which was much milder. And it did rain often too - although short-lived tropical rain.

Have tried to think of some negatives but can't really do - we had a fantastic time, thought Aroha was great value for money and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank louise_mccallum2002
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed at Coconut Grove for 6 nights and Aroha for 7 nights. Aroha is a first class property. Concur with other guests that described Aroha as being "5 star". The rooms are beautiful and are spotless. The views are worth the trip. I would recommend taking the meal plan as the food is as good as we have had anywhere. Ngaire and Dennis are gracious hosts that have created something special.. We have stayed at a number of resorts and none match the value and the overall experience of staying at the Aroha. Is it as good as the reviews on Trip Advisor? No, it is better.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank humptus
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I was skeptical as to whether Aroha really could be as good as the reviews but it really really is.
The rooms are beautifully decorated, I loved the outside showers and the large veranda that each room had. The small (but very very well equipped) kitchen on each room is a really great touch, and we enjoyed being able to eat our breakfast looking out to sea.
They are in the process of building a restaurant but until that opens you are able to eat freshly prepared evening meals on the veranda of the main house. The food was excellent so the restaurant is sure to be a success. The help-yourself drinks fridge is great as you just chalk up your drinks and pay on check-out.
The swimming pool is lovely, very tasteful.
We booked two trips via the resort - Lavena Coast Walk and Snorkelling, both of which are recommended by us.
It's a short walk from the resort to the date line and several shops.
We will definitely stay here again

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ndm2010
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We staid for three weeks at Aroha Taveuni and loved every second of it! From the outset we were made to feel like we were at home and nothing was too much trouble for Ngaire or Dennis to arrange for us. As a couple without children we found the arrangement absolutely perfect - Aroha is located conveniently close to Somosomo village and there are bikes to hire to ride into town or it's only a short stroll to the nearby shops. The layout of the bures is fantastic, providing plenty of privacy. The kitchen is well stocked with utensils and everything you need for cooking (if you can resist Cookie's cooking!), while the outdoor shower is lovely!
The natural environment of the local area is stunning! We enjoyed many days diving on the Somosomo strait as well as hiking up to Lake Aselemo, enjoying the Lavena Coastal walk and Tavoro Falls. Ngarie is great at encouraging you to get out and see the local environment and arranging everything for you.
A real treat while staying here was the Lovo nights that Denis and Ngarie arrange. You can watch the meals being made from scratch and learn how to make coconut milk, while enjoying the Fijian singing and kava. Cookie's night time meals were always delicious and my dietary restrictions were always accommodated. It was a lovely experience to sit around the main house table at the end of each day and compare stories with the other guests.
We would highly recommend staying here to couples and families alike. We were heartbroken to leave and will definitely be coming back!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple