“Fantasy Island” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Taveuni Island
Orange County, California
“Fantasy Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2007

We stayed at Taveuni Palms for five unforgettable days in late May 2007. We have traveled extensively throughout Europe and North America and stayed in some of the nicest hotels in the world. Without doubt, Taveuni Palms was the best vacation experience we have had anywhere in the world. There were so many wonderful things about Taveuni Palms that I feel compelled to break them down:

1. Accommodations -- The villas are spectacular. We stayed in the lower villa, which had beautiful grounds, a private swimming pool and separate shaded plunge pool. The villa also had a private beach with two kayaks we could take out at our leisure. The villa was large, airy, comfortable, luxurious, and had the most amazing outdoor showers. The view from the villa and its grounds was breathtaking. We had to pinch ourselves to believe we were really staying here. The beds were very comfortable, the towels large and soft, and the refrigerator stocked with plenty of beverages. It was simply fabulous.

2. Service -- The staff was absolutely incredible in their attentiveness, friendliness and graciousness. I loved picking up the phone to order breakfast, as I was instantly greeted with a friendly "Bula Eva," "How are you this morning?" in the warmest voice you could imagine. This is where "fantasy island" comes in. No matter what we asked for, the staff delivered and consistently exceeded our expectations. The daily massages on our deck overlooking the ocean were heavenly. By the end of the trip, we considered the staff as part of our family. They were the kindest people we have ever met. The owners Kelly and Tony are delightful people, and we very much enjoyed getting to know them. Kelly's attention to detail is just amazing. This was by far the best service we have experienced on earth.

3. Food -- The food was absolutely 5 star. The food was the best food we have ever eaten on any trip anywhere. Everything was made from scratch incorporating fresh, local ingredients. On our first day, Kelly told us she was sending "the boys" out to catch us some fish for dinner. When it arrived on our table, we had the most delicious yellow fin tuna I have ever tasted. My husband Mark is a picky eater, and he loved everything they made. I must also note that Taveuni Palms was incredibly accommodating, making us separate dishes (lobster and steak) to accommodate my husband and me. We ate on our beautiful Bula deck overlooking the ocean almost every day, occasionally altering to our house deck or pool side table. The table settings were spectacularly beautiful, incorporating shells, flowers and gorgeous linens. I even received a complimentary cooking lesson to learn how to make the yummy bula wraps. It was a fantasy!

4. Excursions and Activities -- Although it was hard leaving the wonderful villa, the excursions and activities were a highlight of our trip. We were whisked away by air-conditioned private car to the north end of the island for the Lavena Coastal kayak and walk. It was stunningly beautiful, and our guide Simone was incredibly knowledgeable. Afterwards we sat with the locals in their village and learned about their culture. We also went horseback riding on the south side of the island and scuba dived the famous - and aptly named - rainbow reef. It was breathtaking. All of the excursions were totally private, and our car was driven by Babu who we chatted with for hours. Babu was wonderful, and we learned so much about the local culture. There are so many things to do on Taveuni that we did not come close to doing them all. We will have to return.

5. Experience -- This was the most incredible vacation experience of our lives. The Fijian people are some of the most friendly people you will come across anywhere on earth, and the loving people of Taveuni - including the wonderful staff and owners of Taveuni Palms - are what made this vacation experience so unique. If you are looking to mingle with other guests or stay up in late night bars, this is not the place for you. If, however, you are looking for a totally private, romantic, relaxing and pampering vacation with options for interesting cultural excursions and a host of recreational activities, then this is the place.

Kelly and Tony - thank you for the best vacation of our lives. We will be back!

• Liked — Unbelievably attentive staff and delicious food
  • Disliked — Nothing. Everything was perfect!
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank OCBula

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2007

We stayed at the Taveuni Palms for nine days in early March. I did so much research to find the best vacation, and was confident that I had found the perfect place. And I was right !
When we walked into the villa, my partner turned to me and said "You have really out-done yourself this time." She only knew that we were going to Fiji. Knew very little else, as she left all of the planning to me. Talk about having to meet high expectations.
We loved the staff, the food, the villa, the view, the water, the grounds. It was an amazing trip of a lifetime, and we are going to book it again for 2009.
Just to make the trip even more fun, the owners have a young yellow lab (Jimbo), who is sweet, well trained, and always carrying around huge coconuts in his mouth. We whistled for Jim all the time, and also the adorable orange cat named Earl.

Anyone who is looking for a beautiful and luxurious resort, with the nicest staff possible, this is the place for you.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Quite a bit of hard rain
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank OakParkTraveller
New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2007

We are just back from a magical honeymoon at Taveuni Palms and we LOVED it!!! The views, food, service and villa were incredible. I had very high expectations after choosing Taveuni Palms through the reviews on this site and every single one was lived up to and more. The private pool and beach were a real plus. I was able to sunbathe topless and we could swim and lye on the sand with no one to bother us. The villas are 5 star and SO LUXURIOUS. We have travelled all over the world and usually stay in the Four Seasons Resorts but the villa we had was the most luxurious accommodation were have ever experienced. Every single detail has been thought of. Even the bathroom towels were the softest, richest, most luxurious towels were had ever felt!
We had seven personal staff that gave us all the privacy we wanted but also the best service we have ever had at a resort. We certainly felt that we got all the care and attention that a big resort just cannot offer.
Our staff Robert, Taylor, Seia, Rosa, SousSous, Ishi and Bua took amazing care of us and made every moment of our stay so romantic and special. The nicest part was that they did all the little extra special things without us even having to ask. Their ability to forsee what you would need or want was unbelievable. If you are looking for luxury, privacy, beautiful views, superb snorkeling, great service and the very best in food then go to Taveuni Palms. They certainly derserve the fantastic reputation they have. I will be posting my pictures shortly. If you have any questions just let me know. I used this site to find our resort and would be happy to help others.
Kathy

• Liked — The villa
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
10 Thank kathyrichards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2007

My first trip was in November 2005. Words cannot describe the views from the villas. We consider ourselves to be travelers, with over 10 trips to carribean & mexico. But, not one of our trips came close to this place. On vacation one may ride bikes, hike etc to get the best view. Not here, its on your deck. You will find yourself drawn to the view where we sat for hours, where they served our meals, where we swam in our infinity edge pool. The best snorkling was right off of our beach. The most pleasant surprise was the food. Even our picky eater raved about it. The hours of preperation showed in every meal. We even got engaged on the beach there. It was paradise.

So when we had t o choose a place to elope we were drawn back there. As a traveler to a destination so far from home, I had some concerns with the Coup in Fiji. Kelly, the owner eased my concerns and provided me with facts from her island. I can honestly say that they took care of everything for the wedding. And as a bride, I can nnot tell you how relieved I was.

In November 2006 we arrived, with friend & family in tow, it was perfect. From the newly remodeled villas to the afternoon messages. I'm sure for the staff The wedding day went off exactly as planned. But word cannot describe how they transformed this already beautiful place into a wedding of my dreams. They picked flowers and weaved them to trasform the deck into a tropical runway. Every detail was thought of for us. We had there top package with the tribal dance. This was a special treat. They really made us feel like part of there fijian family. It ended with a candelight lobster dinner under the stars. I could not have dreamed of more. I highly recommend this place to any trevelers thinking of going to Fiji. You will not be disappointed. They really have a special place in our hearts. Once you go there, you will be hooked. We plan on returning this year.

Vinakka to the Staff of Taveuni Palms!!!

• Liked — The views were breathtaking!!!
  • Disliked — The distance from home.
  • Tips/Secrets — Well woth the long journey there.
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with friends
6 Thank joneah
LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2006

We have just had 10 of the best days of our lives at Taveuni Palms. My husband and I searched for endless hours on the interent and through travel agents trying to find the most private, romantic resort in the world for our anniversary and I KNOW that we found it.
From the moment we arrived all I can remember is thinking Wow, Wow, Wow...I could go on and on about the resort but will put my main thoughts down for you.
ARRIVAL:
We were greeted by huge smiles and the friendliest, kindess most attentive people I have ever meet. The resort sits right on a beautiful white sandly beach, has the most beautiful perefctly manicured gardens and views over the ocean that take your breath away. We were greeted with flower lies, complimentray champagne, a Fijian song and dance, fresh fruit, banana muffins with homemade jam and by our 7 personal staff and the owners. What a way to start.
THE VILLA:
If you want to stay in a villa that makes you feel like you are in the pages of a magazine for the rich and famous then this is the place for you. The villas are beautiful, completely seperate each sitting on their own piece of beachfront land and have their own one acre of garden, their own private pool, their own beach and five private dining locations. When they say they offer privacy and seclusion they are 100% accurate. The bedrooms and bathrooms offer ultimate luxury. I have never felt a towel so fluffy and soft and the sheets on the super king bed were devine. The living areas are huge and luxurious but the pool decks were where we spent the majority of our time. I like to sunbathe topless and the decks offered the privacy to do that. The villas have an intercom through to the seperate staff area so you just call when you want anything at all but otherwise they leave you in privacy. When the staff are around for meal service, spa, housekeeping or bar service they are exceptional and so so friendly.
FOOD:
I am a huge foodie and was blown away at every meal. I especially loved the coconut crab. Everytime we ate I found myself saying that the meal was the best food I have ever tasted. The cocktails (bula drinks) are superb also. I can't figure out how they make a pina colada taste so good.
SPA TREATMENTS:
This was my favorite part of my stay. The spa staff Robert and Mary are on call on site to give you treatments at anytime. No appointments necessary. They come to your villa, set up wherever you wish and will give you the best massage of your life for FJ$30 around US$18. The resort owners believe that spa treatments are the most important part of rest and relaxation and have priced all of the spa treatments to just cover product cost. This way you endulge and go home feeling so relaxed and pampered. Where else in the world would you find that.
When we left Taveuni Palms on December 18 it truly broke my heart. We had experienced 10 days of beautiful snorkeling, crystal clear waters, pink sunsets, the very best food we have ever had, and had been pampered like never before. We have made such good friends with the staff and we truly feel like we have a family in Fiji now. Neither my husband or I have ever cried when we left a vaction before but the beauty of Taveuni Palms and the people there bought us both to tears.

• Liked — The privacy and the pool
  • Disliked — Nothing! Everything was first class.
  • Tips/Secrets — Book for 10 nights. Anything less is too short.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
14 Thank sunloverLa
Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2006

We stayed at Taveuni Plams to attend a wedding, the most beautiful wedding we have ever been too. The only bad thing to say about our stay is that we had to leave. It was truly like living in a postcard, you didn't want to touch anything because you might wake up from this dream. The staff ends up being apart of your family, and treating you like kings and queens. I know when I die I want my heaven to be like Taveuni Plams.

• Liked — The Staff; the view; the food; the beds
  • Disliked — i had to go home
  • Tips/Secrets — bring tank tops
  • Stayed November 2006
5 Thank mayla13
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2006

My fiance and I have been emailing and talking to travel agents all over the world trying to get help to plan "the perfect wedding and honeymoon." NO ONE has been as responsive and helpful and consistently answering questions as KELLY AT TAVEUNI PALMS. If they are this great before we book, now how wonderful will they be when we are guests? I am saying we have tried to make arrangements with the Four Seasons all over Hawaii and in many other places like Maldive and Carribbean, we have tried every popular travel agent on line that "specializes in Fiji" and NO ONE has been more responsive than Kelly at Taveuni Palms!! We love her already. SHame on everyone else! If they ignore us now, when we are "potential guests," how will they treat us when we are "paid already guests?" You figure it out....

Laura riverwalk

• Liked — Customer service!
  • Tips/Secrets — Go with people who treat you well before you book!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Matangi Island
Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji
Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji
#1 of 1 in Qamea Island

Been to Taveuni Palms Resort? Share your experiences!