“Still Paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Taveuni Island
Syndey
“Still Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

This was our second visit to Paradise, the first being in September 2010. The initial trip was one of our most memorable holiday experiences and my partner and I wondered if the second time around would be as good. I'm glad to say we weren't disappointed!!!

On arrival we were greeted warmly by the staff and owners, all of whom remembered us from our previous visit and made us feel like VIPs. All of my 'real world' worries disappeared in no time with a welcome footrub, fruit platter and bottle of sparkling wine provided at our bure overlooking SomoSomo Strait. In fact, my only concern all week was how we would ever manage to leave once our time was up!

It is hard to put the Paradise experience into words, it really is something special. The following are a few thoughts and experiences that come to mind as highlights:

- The staff are fantastic. We love the personal interaction with the Paradise team, who each knew us by name and would ask about our day and assist with our every need. Maikeli, Beta, Anarae, Kata, Sue, Suli, Suni and Sep in particular were great. Most nights Suli, Sep and others would play the guitar and sing to the guests at dinner. My partner and I loved this and the atmosphere it created! We loved the personal touch on everything, which included a birthday cake for my partner on our last night, with the entire Paradise team singing happy birthday!

- The location is incredible. The resort has a spectacular view of the SomoSomo Strait that I could stare at all day. I did this many days and spotted a sperm whale, turtles and manta rays right out the front of the resort! The resort aspect means it is sheltered from the trade winds so almost everyday is calm and perfect for swimming and other water activities. There is no beach, but there is a landing with a ladder which makes water access easy - the water was crystal clear and 29 degrees Celsius!!! We love that the location is out of the way for the average tourist. The flight in on the twin prop aircraft is an adventure, as is the drive to the resort which takes around an hour and includes some spectacular views of the strait and surrounding islands. You'll feel a world away from your day-to-day reality in no time at all - this is the real Fiji.

- The Paradise Spa is excellent. I purchased a 5 day package for my partner as a birthday gift. She loved the variety and quality of the treatments available. The resort staff have recently undertaken refresher training and were really on their game, in particular with massage.

- For those who need to do more than just chill out, there are plenty of activities available. I went fishing, snorkelling, kayaking and wild boar hunting. Many of the other patrons were divers and all that I spoke to raved about the quality of the sites they dived. Some of my captured fish were expertly prepared and served to me for lunch and dinner!

- We loved our bure with its outdoor shower, spa and view. Paradise caters for only a small number of guests so you'll never feel like just another number.

- We appreciated and enjoyed a number of upgrades and freebies as return guests - extra spa treatments, an upgraded meal package etc.

So visit number two was another truly memorable experience for us. We have promised not to let 4 years pass again before we return. Special mention also to owners Allan and Terri who chatted with us daily and went over and above to make our trip special. We miss Thomas, Jess, Browny and Beethoven very much as well!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Adana, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Our trip to Paradise Taveuni was beyond expectations. My husband and I went in March 2013 to have a wedding ceremony (just us 2). Don't let weather forecasts discourage you from traveling here. It practically rained everyday we were there but it literally did not affect the trip at all. It will rain for about 30 mins then stop and the clouds part and the sun is all ablaze once more. I was worried the weather would put a damper on our trip but it absolutely did not in fact we barely noticed it.

From the minute we arrived the staff was very friendly!! Actually the staff made all the difference in the experience. Never before have I stayed at such a personable resort. The bures are really nice and I absolutely loved the outdoor jacuzzi. My husband and I are not divers but we took the free pool lesson and then I actually did a dive trip which was a blast. Be sure to sign up for trips off the resort such as the visit to Buma Falls, and the waterslide, also be sure to see the local village. Many of the staff who work at the resort live in the nearby village and it is nice to take a tour of their home.

My husband was a little shocked when we arrived to the island and had to take a 1 hour (extremely bumpy) drive to the resort. I think he expected a Hilton type resort, and he didn't think he would like the resort. But he LOVED it. Said it was the best trip he has had, and would love to come back. So if you are having second thoughts about this resort because it is off the beaten path and not all 'grandeur' such as a Hilton, DON'T, take a chance and I promise you wont regret it. This resort offers a taste of the real Fiji!!

Also we booked through Journey Pacific. My travel agent was Dawn Sansom and she handled every little aspect of the trip. She did a phenomenal job and had lots of advice as she has stayed at a lot of the Fijian resorts. She highly recommended Paradise Taveuni, and she sold me on it. I highly recommend Journey Pacific to those needing help in finding the perfect resort.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 'honeymoon bure' (as it was our weddingmoon). This room was very nice howev...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MELBOURNE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

We spent 10 days over Xmas 2013 at Paradise Taveuni. They say all the good places are hard to get to - this was not hard to get to but an adventure in itself.- The trip from Nadi was about 1 hour by twin engined Otter - then about 90 minutes by 4wd on a made up road that became a rocky unmade road for the last half hour which was an experience in itself. Have the camera ready as you pass the beautiful 150 year old church near SomoSomo village . We enjoyed our road trip getting there while I see others did not. We stopped at the local shop on the way to stock up on chips and peanuts and soft drinks - which we need not have done - Every thing is available at the resort. I do suggest you take your Full Duty Free allowance of alcohol from the airport with you - at time of writing 6 bottles of wine per person or 2.25 litres of alcohol.....as wines in Fiji can be a bit of a lottery... and we drank ours with dinner mostly every night for a small corkage fee of F$10 it was a great move..
The rooms are Fijian style - very comfortable. We stayed in Cowrie - one of 3 adjoining bures - air conditioned , and comfortable. My only complaint was that the bed squeaked at every slight toss and turn - I got so laid back in this wonderland I kept forgetting to mention it !
If you are a diver or snorkeller it is heaven - we personally just wanted to chill and listen to some music or read a book. There is no beach as such but you can dive jump or climb off the jetty into the deep lagoon or just laze the days away in the infinity pool. The people we met were all very friendly - The food is good with a reasonable choice -Breakfast is great. It is a small resort with limited resources so the bug bear of ordering your lunch requirement at breakfast and dinner at lunch time was a bit annoying but understandable when catering for 10 couples plus with only one chef. Want something not on the menu - you only have to ask.
The staff were so friendly ... Star, Liti , and especially Suli- you were a true gentleman, you were standouts and Anare and Soni always made you feel special. Terri and Alan were always on hand to deal with any issues or requests and Alan kindly organised the fishing charter which was a blast in itself.
Highly recommended. We had a great time. My only suggestion - give the guests going out on activities a bit more than 5 minutes after eating before getting on board. !

Room Tip: oceanfront rooms are best
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NATSYS
Midland, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We went with a group of over 30 people to this wonderful resort in July of 2013. Terri and Allan and their kids were a delight to be around with smiles on their face and always a joy to be around. We went for scuba diving and the diving could not have been better. The name of the hotel says it all, Paradise, because that is what it is. Now it is a little bit of a trek to get there with the bumpy roads, but once you are there you just do not want to leave. Your rooms are beautiful, the food was good, and the staff and spa they have was absolutely great. I will go back again to this luxurious little island with people that have a great heart and a beautiful island, and a fantastic hotel.

Room Tip: If you are not use to humidity get a room with an air conditioner.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Mammoth Lakes, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

We spent 2 wonder weeks in Fiji
The first week on Beqa Lagoon Resort and the second at Paradise Taveuni
We had a Five Star vacation at PARADISE TAVEUNI RESORT !!
This is a beautiful resort location, with a wonderful and very friendly staff , great food ,and fantastic diving.
what more can I say , it was the best dive vacation we ever had for a small resort
that we prefer to visit on our vacations around the world!

Ed and Linda Schuyler

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ed s
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Recently, while staying in a house rental on the other end of the island, I decided to check out this resort that us heard so much about. I contacted the owners, Terri and Allan Groton and stayed for one night.
Beautiful welcome by the managers and their delightful children and staff, greeted with floral leis, ice cold coconut milk, in coconut, and delicious foot rub in front of the bure they had provided, right on the waterfront.
Lunch..what can I say, delicious Wahoo, freshly caught, with fresh salad. I explored the beautiful grounds, and after spending time with local children, had the most amazing body massage. Thanks Katya!, then dinner time. The most succulent meat-in-your-mouth steak, fresh lobster, and salad.
After a lovely restful night in my beautifully decorated and immaculate bure, Coral, I explored the resort, marveling at the wonderful variety of flowers and trees. Breakfast, I had a plate of fruit (the papaya is to die for), toast, pineapple juice and freshly brewed coffee. Delicious.
I then had a keg massage.Thanks Tom, that was the best. Then lunch. Felt I'd eaten so much the previous day that I had soup and delicious freshly baked bread.
Terri and Allan are the most amazing hosts, and arranged transport for me back to the holiday rental at Matei.
I would recommend Paradise to anyone who would like a pristine environment, solitude if you desire, beautiful friendly staff, massages to die for, scrumptious meals and a view that speaks a Fiji.

Room Tip: Any of the bures would be wonderful, but if you like to hear the gentle waves at night, definitely r...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Margaret M
Kitchener
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

Once you have traversed the incredibly bumpy road to Paradise, it is hard to leave.
Allan and Terri who have owned this peaceful, adult only resort for the past eight years, have dedicated themselves to making it a diving haven. Due to the fact that it is between two famous reefs not only divers but also snorkelers are within 30 minutes of a magical underwater world. A wonderful experience too good to be missed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
The Remote Resort - Fiji Islands
Garden Island Resort
Garden Island Resort
#8 of 10 in Taveuni Island

Been to Paradise Taveuni? Share your experiences!