“First time, but not the last.”
Review of Paradise Taveuni

Paradise Taveuni
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Taveuni Island
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“First time, but not the last.”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My first time in Taveuni and I was just knocked out by the Paradise Resort. What a place, beautiful surroundings, manicured lawns and views to dive for across the water. The dive shop is set up, not thrown about as I find in most places. Dive boats were comfortable and the bananas and cake with water were welcome after each dive along with the towels. Our bungalow faced the sea as they all do and if size counts it was huge! Loved the many fans as I am not a fan of air conditioning although there were six bungalows with this available. My private spa in the walled off backyard with outdoor shower was a delight, a real back to nature feel. Food brilliant and the menu had everything my "hot food" partner desired plus the plain stuff for me. I would recommend this spot to new or experienced divers who love F & C (Fish and Coral).

Room Tip: Best rooms for airconditioning are at the far end (Dive shop) part of the resort or smack bang in th...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Warrick M
paradisetaveuni, Public Relations Manager at Paradise Taveuni, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Bula Vina'a

Thank you so much for your comments! We're happy to hear that you had a great time with us. We look forward to seeing you next time in Paradise!!

Paradise Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We went to Paradise in March/April of 2013 and are already planning our trip back in 2015 with a group, but I realized that I never wrote a review. This was a huge hurdle to get over for me. I am a nervous traveler as I don't feel comfortable going to places that I can't get home from in a few hours. Well, Florida is more than a few hours away (17 hours just to Nadi) and yes, the flight from L.A. to Nadi was endless and of course I was seated between my sleep-anywhere husband and some guy who smelled like an ashtray covered in nicotine patches. We arrived in Nadi and went directly to a hotel across the street called Raffles where we got a 'day room' as we had a later flight to Taveuni. We showered and tried to nap, got up, had lunch at the hotel (the first of some of the most delicious curries we've eaten) and decided to take a taxi to a local tourist site, a Hindu temple (pretty interesting!). Back to the airport, we skyped home on the free wifi and boarded the Otter, the smallest plane I've been on. The pilot chuckled when I asked where the bathroom was. Up we went (after a couple of valium. what? I said I was neurotic!) and as we made our way north, the views became more and more spectacular. Old volcano rims and ranges surrounded by ice blue colored water. For the 1+ hour trip, I was watching the back of the pilots' heads in the open cockpit and the radar or I had my face pressed against the window staring at the view. Note, the plane is noisy, is not pressurized and the smell of fuel made you feel like a real adventurer! Down we went into Taveuni, over tiny tropical houses and onto an impossibly small runway for an ultra smooth landing! Almost there. Off the plane, our bags are arranged in a line and we were approached by a fellow from the resort. He loaded us up in the resort's bright yellow Land Rover and we were off. We went through the 'developed' areas where there are schools, churches, commerce and the very expensive (non diving) resorts on paved streets. As we started to climb, the paved road disappeared and our driver was twisting and turning the car around ditches, over impossibly slender bridges and through mountain roads where you could see over the cliffs into the water. If you have a problem with heights, look left! I had heard about this drive but it wasn't that bad. We passed men, women and children (most carrying machetes wrapped in plastic bags) on the road, walking home from work, all who stopped as we passed and shouted "Bula!" with smiles on their faces. Was this truly genuine? Was someone insisting on this to impress the tourists...? After an hour, hour 1/2, the drive takes a sudden turn and here we are. Paradise. The driveway is made from black volcanic sand/gravel and the plants and flowers are incredibly lush and beautiful. Employees from the resort appear and whisk our bags away. We, the smelly, tired zombies from America, stumble after the driver thru a path and instantly the view opens up to and impossibly green lawn, cocoanut palms swaying over the Pacific ocean and you mumble, "This IS paradise... It's like something from a dream". Allan and Terri with about 4 staff people approach with leis and trays of chilled cocoanuts with straws. They know our names before we speak. Behind them, at the pool, we see the rest of our group who got the earlier flights, all relaxing and waving at us. After a short tour (it's a tiny place) we are led to our vale (Ocean front and air conditioned) and we are treated with a foot rub on our front porch. Somewhat revived we begin our vacation, a full week of diving, relaxing and enjoying really wonderful meals.
Highlights:
1. We renewed our vows there. Why the heck not! Right there on the cliff with musicians, Fijian "warriors" and some of the loveliest floral arrangements, all from the grounds of the resort. My "real" wedding at home wasn't as nice! (and there was less stress...no parents!)
2. Dive trips: The fish were pink and blue! We don't get those in the Caribbean! The waters were warm, lovely and clear and I got to see Clownfish! I was surprised at how aggressive they were protecting their nests...little buggers! The dive staff were helpful, friendly and great tour guides.
3. Our surface intervals were some of the best moments, on a private beach called Fiji Fiji that the dive resorts are allowed to use for lunches, owned by an American architect. We would walk around, use the bathroom (!) collect coral that had washed up, float around in the lagoon. So many papaya trees, heavy with fruit! Make sure you get a picture...it's like Blue Lagoon!
4. The meals were all delish. Flavorful, plentiful and you could ask for anything...Try the local beer!
5. Kava Ceremonies. Not the most tasty thing I've had to drink but the ceremony and the songs were wonderful.
6. The trip to the village: Bring a camera! The children who follow you around are beautiful with their big smiles. You will realize that you don't need a lot in life to be happy.
7. The people at the resort were so accommodating, made you feel like you were family. Where else are you going to go to place where at 7 in the morning, one of the gardeners passes you and says your name and "Bula."

Some suggestions for the Delicate Flowers (like me!) out there:
BRING BUG SPRAY; Mosquitos are a fact of life there and they put these burning repellent coils in your room at night. If you are sensitive to smoke/smell, ask them not to and you'll get a mosquito net. It's NOT as bad as, say, summer camp in Maine, where the mosquitos are enormous and keep you up at night. But still I wish I had brought bug spray.
BRING SOMETHING FOR YOUR STOMACH. I read on someone's review to drink bottled water but that wasn't it. I think it was more that most everything has cocoanut in it...and cocoanut being high in (good) fat WILL impact you. By day 5, I had two women in my group asked me for Imodium and had passed on diving that morning. They were fine after that!
BRING A FLASHLIGHT: The moment it gets dark, toads come out of the rocks that make up the pathways, the walls, the bures. I'm talking hundreds of them. If you are walking back to your room in the dark, you can hear them hopping out of your way. I was always scared I was going to squish them.
BRING AN IPAD: load it up with games/movies, etc. Between the plane ride and not wanting to go thru technology-withdrawl (it's a thing!) at the resort, it's will help, because it's VERY QUIET there! Also, don't bother with the internet. We tried all week. I know the office has it but the wifi was none existent or didn't work. One of the folks on the trip bought something at the airport that promised connectivity but that didn't work.

So, it's a real effort to get there but once you are there, it's all worth it. Something you'll never experience anywhere else. The week flew by and originally I thought that we should stay 10+ days because we travelled so far but the 7 nights were enough to satisfy!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank SRQGirlie
Bula Vina'a

Thank you so much for your comments! We're happy to hear that you had a great time with us, and yes, all the Fiji smiles are truly genuine! We look forward to seeing you next time in Paradise!!

Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My wife and I stayed there for a week. The experience was sensationnal. You are greeted with a foot massage which is very relaxing. You are assigned a bungalow that is very clean and very well organized. The staffy is very friendly and so are the people on the island. They are some cultural activities organized some days, one of them being people from the local village cooking at the hotel (outdoors) using Fiji cooking techniques then you finish the night with some Fijian dancing (warrior dances also) and singing. The chef is very talented and every single meal as a pleasure. The location is by the sea, there is a swimming pool and a little terrace where you can have your meal, the terrace is on little cliff so you are very close to the ocean. Very romantic. If you are a diver then there is a dive shop on site, the staff is friendly and the boat can accomodate about 8 divers. The diving is beautiful. You can do two boat dives in the morning (the staff is waiting for you on the dock with fresh fruit and water). You can also do a shore dive in the afternoon. Night dives are on specific days only. A great experience, we will definitely go back!

Room Tip: We went during the "rain season", so the trip was cheap. It does rain but only an hour a d...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bruno_Lombard

Nadi, Fiji
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Paradise Taveuni is excellent and definately paradise. The accommodations are spacious, inviting and comfortable, The food is spectacular - every single meal is a culinary delight. The staff are friendly and will do their best to accommodate your every whim or desire. The views and surrounding countryside is not to be missed, and all that dive here can't speak highly enough of the under water world. The spa treatments make you feel like a new person.
What else can I say???? Make this your next holiday destination.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sally Y

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 7 May 2014

You are blown away by this place from the moment you arrive. Greeted by the exceptionally warm and friendly staff who only become friendly as your stay goes on. They are very attentive and helpful any time of the day, you cant help but smile when greeted by there friendly faces. The grounds are tranquil and the views spectacular. The meals are tasty and with the multiple options of venues to enjoy them from.

The diving here is fantastic, very professional and fun staff take you out each day to some incredible spots. Every dive is planned around weather and tides to get the best conditions, there is no set departure time each day in order to ensure you arrive at the best time. Walter and Christine made both the diving and the time on the boat extremely fun, full of laughs above the water, spotting all the little things under the water.

The rooms are very spacious, the outdoor shower and spa is a awesome way to relax after diving.

This place is a real credit to the owners, who every day take interest in you and make sure everything is alight. Allen also looks after the diving and I have to thank him greatly as he organised an extra dive master to look after me due to being far less experienced then the other divers.

This place really nails all the small things that take a place from being great, to spectacular. Highly recommend it for both relaxing and diving, I will be returning.

Room Tip: Ocean views are a great welcome to each day, but there are so many great spots to relax around the g...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Huw M

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Just got back from a two and a bit week stay in Fiji this being our seventh visit to Fiji and would have to say the eight nights we spent here were sensational!
This was our first visit to this part of Fiji and we loved this resort the quality of the accommodation, food, service, massage and diving was all fantastic.
One of the many things we loved about it was the flexible meal taking arraignments in that you can choose multiple spots to eat whatever meal it is.
The resort is a real credit to the owners and the staff are all simply brilliant.
Everyone we met there loved this place as much as us and all are threatening to return as are we.

Overall we rate this four star resort as a five star and having stayed at some of Fiji's five star resorts we can say this with confidence.

Thank you to all at Paradise for a wonderful stay and we will back only this time with the kids.

Warren and Vea

Room Tip: All rooms are good but of course ocean front ones have the better view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Warren S
Bula Vina'a!

Thank you so much for your comments! We're happy to hear that you had a great time with us. And yes, bring the kids, they will love it! We look forward to seeing you next time in Paradise!!

Suva, Fiji
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have lived in Fiji for two and a half years and have been fortunate enough to visit quite a lot of hotels and resorts, in Taveuni and elsewhere. Paradise Taveuni is without doubt the best of them all, and comes close to the best I've stayed anywhere. It is far superior to Coconut Grove, for a similar price.

I have visited Paradise twice and would need little encouragement to return again. The resort's beautifully manicured tropical garden overlooks the calm waters of the Somosomo strait. It's an idyllic setting - serene and peaceful. Even when the resort is full, it feels like you have it to yourself.

For swimmers, It's fantastic. There is also a pool with views out over the water. But better still, as there is no beach, you can swim or snorkel straight off the jetty, at any time of day. Swimming in the lake-like stillness of the water at sunset is one of my abiding memories of Fiji.

The diving in Taveuni is world renowned. Paradise has a well equipped dive outfit on site, offering daily trips to the 30 or so dive sites, 20 mins boat ride away, on the Rainbow and Vuna reefs.

Allan and Terri are fantastic hosts: warm, friendly and ever helpful. They support the local community's medical centre and school. The resort administers a sponsorship scheme, offering guests the opportunity to fund a local child through school.

The staff were excellent and charming, attentive but not overbearing. We felt very well looked after without being fussed over. As returning guests we were treated to a free upgrade and a romantic four course meal. And as Fiji residents we received a generous discount of almost 50%. It was incredibly good value.

Dining at Paradise is a wonderful experience. There are a number of options for private dining under the stars, which shine brightly in Taveuni. You can have a table set up overlooking the water, on the grass beneath the palm trees or in your own private bure. The food is great, curry night a highlight.

The accommodation was excellent too. We stayed in a oceanfront vale with A/C and an outside jacuzzi bath. It was newly built, cool inside and very quiet. We slept long and contentedly.

I couldn't recommend Paradise enough.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

The Remote Resort - Fiji Islands
Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji
Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji
#1 of 1 in Qamea Island

Been to Paradise Taveuni? Share your experiences!