Dolphin Bay Divers Retreat
US$1,099
US$959
Sau Bay Fiji Retreat(Waiyevo)(Great Value!)
US$245
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
Taveuni Dive Resort(Taveuni Island)
US$302
US$264
  • Pool
Garden Island Resort(Taveuni Island)(Great Value!)
US$206
US$170
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Paradise Taveuni(Taveuni Island)
US$250
US$218
  • Pool
Nakia Resort & Dive(Taveuni Island)
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
Taveuni Palms Resort(Matei)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsviola and rolanddive sitessolar powered lightsother guestsdive mastercats and dogsgreat divingworld classfishmosquito netboat captainhot waterlush rainforestcookiesmagical placepurple wallpaddle boarding
Reviewed 28 January 2014

For me, this fiji trip was all about the scuba diving. I had heard great things about Somosomo Straight from very experienced divers, so it had a lot to live up to.
I have been fortunate to have logged over 4000 dives throughout Indonesia, so I guess by now I can dive a little bit. Hope that adds some credence to this review.

Lets start at the beginning, The Booking.

I guess I have looked into scuba diving in Fiji for along time, and after substantial internet and face to face research, I homed in on Somosomo Straight as being up there with some of the best Fiji has to offer. I contacted a few of resorts on Taveuni and in Suva and ended up with a feeling that I shared the same dive ethos and relaxed atmosphere that DolphinBay offers.
I must have bombarded the resort managers inbox with countless questions in regards to or stay and all the email responses were not only prompt but gave me a god understanding of the place. I guess I am saying that I had a very good understanding of what was available to me before I got to the retreat, i.e Electricity and Dive schedule, afternoon hikes e.t.c.

As for the travel from Sydney, Australia.

You can get from Sydney to DolphinBay in around 8 hours. Thats pretty damn good as the place feels incredibly remote. Qantas offers 30kg of checked bags and Fiji airways offers 23kg. The domestic flight with Fiji Airways gives you 15kg. If you book with Fiji Airways all the way they honour the 23kg for the domestic leg also. So getting all your dive kit and underwater camera there is a bit tricky but possible as domestic excess baggage was affordable, about 5FJD a kilo. So I flew on a qantas ticket to get that extra 7kg of international checked baggage which if you are over is charged at $15 Aus a kilo. Thats a big price difference!

I had pre arranged transfers to and from DolphinBay and it ran very smoothly. The taxi guy, Kishor was very pleasant and very proud of his Island. He made us feel welcome and was in high spirits about the cleanliness of Taveuni, I agree it was spotless, no plastic bags or empty plastic water bottles. The dive/transfer boat was waiting for us and we embarked on a 20 minute boat ride over to DolphinBay. We were provided water proof Jackets and our luggage was covered,that was a nice touch.

As for the arrival. We were welcomed with big smiles and a drink, as all our baggage was taken of to our Bure. We were given a quick tour and told the basic info you need to know to make your stay pleasent, i.e lunch and dinner times, electricity times so we can charge all the Camera kit, e.t.c

The Diving.

We dived with Ronald, who I guess has been diving the area for over 10 years. We had discussed doing around 16 dives, if we had time, and wanted to see an overall picture of the reef system there. He did an amazing job of showing us a lot of the dive sites at there best and has a very good understanding of the tide and current in the area. We were there to photograph the soft corals, which is world class, but also to see the overall seascape.
In 16 dives I saw a wide range of dive sites. Beautiful sea mounts with strong current with a good amount of pelagic life. Jaw dropping Walls with super healthy giant barrel sponges, bushy black corals and of course the White Soft Corals which are very rare and hard to find in other locations. The visilbilty was outstanding and I believe it was pretty good for that time of year. I was told it never really drops below 20m and can be like Gin on a good day.For me it was great to see a few sharks on almost every dive, a good sign of a healthy reef system. The range of reef fish is up there and and fish life is quite abundant if the current is running. Not much schooling pelagics, a few rays passing by and of course more turtles than you can poke stick at. Overall great diving and of course the soft corals are world class. But I am sure you know that by now.

The dive day, and operation ran very smoothly. We were first on to the reef, as the retreat is so much closer to the dive sites compared to the dive shops on Taveuni, in fact we were coming up from our first dive by the time the other boats had made it over the straight. As the dive sites are so close, between 5 and 15 mins, we would return to the retreat between dives to change batteries, have a tea or coffee e.t.c
By completing 2 long morning dives before lunch it meant there was a considerable amount of time to fill before before the evening meal. Initially I was pushing to do more diving and was told about the beach dive. It was pretty good, but as the macro life in Fiji does not compare with locations in Indonesia I gave it a miss after two 90 min dives.
This meant that as the dive boat was not going out in the afternoons while we were there, we had to sit back and relax in the hammocks, or go for a hike.

The location around the retreat is stunning. It is easy to get up the hill at the back of the retreat and that offers a chance at great photography of Taveuin Island and The SomoSomo striaght.
The beaches in the area are good and a walk around the headland and onwards at low tide is picturesque afternoon.

The retreat really is a great place to unwind. You can string a hammock up between palms on the beach and order the special daily cocktail. Before you know it the tide is lapping up and you are watching the sun go down over the straight. With Taveuni in the background I can't think of a nicer spot to enjoy a game of backgammon and a Fiji Bitter.

So, if you want a relaxed holiday that offers world class diving, gives a feeling of being out there in the wilderness but offers the comforts you need, then this could be your next getaway.

Enjoy.

And thanks to Roland, Viola and all the crew that truly deserve a big round of applause for doing things the right way.

Room Tip: The stand alone Bure offers a lot more privacy than the attached/duplex Bure.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jamesandfrancesca
Reviewed 23 January 2014

There are much better options than Dolphin Bay (DB). I'll tell you how I wish I had done it at the end. First I'll tell you what was good and bad.

DB is located on Vanua Levu, across the straits from Taveuni, only accessible by boat. Because it is closer to Taveuni than most Vanua Levu tourist points, it is grouped with Taveuni destinations. Most people stay in tents here, so it isn't exactly a resort.

Good:
1) Inexpensive relative to the other Taveuni "resorts"
2) Quiet and secluded

Bad:
1) Expensive relative to what you get.
2) Short dives: They plan every dive for 30-minute bottom time. We always came up with a lot of air remaining, sometimes 1/2 a tank. This is my biggest complaint.
3) Bad dive gear. Old and antiquated in general. Cheap, inefficient fins. Moldy masks. Leaky tanks, gauges and regulators. One dive, my regulator took in so much water at 25 meters I had to switch to backup, and that one leaked too. Scary!
4) Tiny boat. Cramped. Hard to move. Gets bashed by waves. Practically tips when someone from one side of the boat moves to the other side; it is that small.
5) Inexperienced Dive Masters. I'd be surprised if the DM's are even certified to dive, much less be DM's. I rate their safety as low.
6) Poor dive sight selection. There are 24 or so dive sights. We dove the same site 3 times in four days. When I asked why the lack of variety, they hadn't thought about it and the DM wasn't even aware that the group had already dived the day's dive site twice before.
7) The food is okay, some days. They were regularly out of bacon and most ingredients for an omelet, so you can't get the breakfast you want off the menu. Lunch and dinner were okay, but generally cheap. You can eat much better for 1/2 the price on Taveuni. There is only one option of food at every meal, so if you don't like it, tough luck.
8) There is nothing else to do but dive and lay around. Diving is done before lunch every day. After that, there is nothing else to do. There is only one trail up the hill behind the place. There are other resorts around the points on either side that don't want you around. You can't go to Taveuni for meals or hikes unless you want to pay exorbitant fees. DB was going to charge us $280 per person to go on the waterfall hike on Taveuni, so everyone in the group cancelled and we laid around all day instead.
9) I was overcharged for additional dives. When I mentioned it, they said they can't refund it by credit card. They can only charge by CC, apparently. They have told me about a dozen times over the last 3 months that they are going to refund by direct deposit, but after 3 months all I get from them is, "We're working on it."
10) They nickel and dime you for everything. They add 20% tax to everything, even the hikes, and even the taxi between the dock and the airport. Guide services on Taveuni don't add tax to the quoted price. Taxis on Taveuni don't add tax. Restaurants on Taveuni don't add tax. So DB is essentially 20% more expensive on any add-ons.
11) DB is on generator and the generator is turned off at night. This was not a problem for me, but it is something to consider.
12) Internet at DB is expensive.

I left at the same time as some people from England and Australia. The last words I heard from them at the dock were, "I can't believe this. These people nickel and dime you to death." I felt the same way. Another couple who left the day before me complained about the same thing. Is that how you want to feel on your vacation to paradise?

I was so disappointed with this place that I left early and moved to Taveuni, even though that meant that I had to forfeit the money I had prepaid for room and meals. They did, admittedly, give me credit on that prepay to stay at their place on Taveuni, but my point is that I wanted to leave so badly that I was willing to forfeit my money.

On Taveuni I was finally able to enjoy that island, the Garden Isle. I would not have been able to do this if I had stayed with DB.

On Taveuni, I ate 5x better for literally half the price I paid for meals at DB.

On Taveuni, you can find nicer resorts or cheaper room rentals compared to DB. Then you can select from the many dive operators on the island for better diving than with DB. It will take more time to get to/from the dives if you don't go with a resort, but you have plenty of time for that considering diving is typically over by lunch. This way, you can dive longer and more safely, explore Taveuni, find good meals and either pay less for less secluded, or pay more for much nicer. If you prefer a secluded place across the strait from Taveuni, on Vanua Levu like DB, there are other options that are more expensive right next to DB, but immensely nicer (I saw them on my hikes) and most likely not so nickel-and-dime.

I wish I had stayed on Taveuni. The only advantage to staying on Vanual Levu across the straits is that it is quiet and secluded. If that is what you want, I'd pay more for the better choices. But if you want to go cheap on Vanua Levu and, therefore, go with DB, then do not book it in advance and prepay it. That way you are not locked in, non-refundable, if you feel like me and the other guests I met who wanted to leave. I learned that DB is rarely booked. Most people call them from Taveuni and arrange a pickup and room reservation. Do that so that you can leave if you don't like the way they run it. Don't prepay. Just in case you want to get away from their cheap, nickel-and-dime operation.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
9  Thank scott s
dolphinbaydiversfiji, Owner at Dolphin Bay Divers Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Bula Scott.
Even though I did address all of this already personally with you, I needed to reply. This might be my longest reply ever but please bear with me
1. In general, it helps if you know where you are going. We are NOT a resort which is why we are not called Dolphin Bay Divers Resort. Yes, we are secluded and there is NO evening animation (except the occasional crab race, coconut bowling and sunset cruise which is a pleasant surprise to most guests). Most people do NOT stay in a Jungle Tent. We are also not in town or on Taveuni which is why everything is NOT like in town or on Taveuni. All of this is on our website and I will tell you if you ask before you book.
2. We usually plan 45 minutes dives, have 6 divers on the boat with 1 or 2 guides. When you complained about the short dive and 1 of the guides then tried to stay down longer with you, you wanted to go up. Sorry that not everyone wants to stay more than 50 minutes. Roland has 20 plus years of experience, so I am not even going there…
3. Sorry your equipment leaked the first time, it was fixed though and I did bring new gear back from Europe. I am not sure Mares would like your review about it being cheap fins, but you could have asked for open heel fins, they are there for you to rent if you want them…….. Sorry, yes some of the masks were moldy, again you could have had another one if only you had asked …..
4. Our boat is licensed for 9, therefore max 6 divers……since we are only 5 to 10 minutes to all the sites, we do not NEED a bigger boat and we are happy with the small group of divers. Apex, our captain, is on a diet, so that should help with the boat tipping to one side when he gets on
5. So here is the actual thing I do have an issue with: Just for the record, all of our 3 instructors and 2 Dive Masters are PADI licensed and certified. We take safety VERY seriously. Roland alone has more than 20 years of experience and NEVER have we even had a close call on safety or an incident of any kind. I have no problems answering to serious concerns, had you asked we would have shown you safety records and certifications
6. If you had bad dive sight, I apologize for the weather, if you had bad dive sites, I apologize for the weather too. We do choose our sites in the morning according to weather and divers abilities. Safety does come first. We do stand by that decision.
7. Sorry we were out of bacon, I already complained to the ferry owners for putting 1 ferry into the reef and taking the other one out for repairs without replacing them…….we still only have 1 ferry left, but they assured me they will NOT put her into a reef or otherwise endanger regular grocery supply to Taveuni. (There were other things to put into an omelet though…..) The kitchen is open to the restaurant and the chefs regularly talk to the guests. There is also a MENU on each table with, granted limited, additional food choices…..BUT you do have to ask….we do assume guests will tell us if they want something other than what is on the menu. If you do not like it, you need to let us know, we are very bad at reading minds…..
8. Yes, we do dive in the morning and yes you can lay around in the afternoon, BUT you can also do additional dives, go hiking, go to the other bays, around the corner, use the paddle boards, swim, snorkel, well pretty much everything it says on our web site. Lavena and Bouma are not close to us, they are on the other site of Taveuni. You can go there and pay for return boat fares etc or you can go there from our bungalow on Taveuni which we told you…..yes, we do charge for transfers, 35.00 per person to the wharf just like it says on our web site and what I quoted you.
9. Yes you were overcharged you by 50 USD. BY MISTAKE, your additional dives should have been prorated, it was an honest mistake, however you chose NOT to say anything when you received the bill, you just paid it and checked out, choosing to send me an e mail afterwards instead. As a result I spent numerous hours, days and about 4 months trying to transfer 50 USD to your US account via my Bank of America account. My last correspondence to you was 2 weeks ago and did not say” we are working on it” it said “did BofA contact you”…… As you know it was debited from my account in October….for all I know it is with your bank……
10. We charge additional for things you do or have which are not pre booked, extra transfers, trips, tours, taxis, dives etc…..Yes, we do charge for airport transfer or wharf transfer for that matter if it is not included in your package. (Yes we also do charge 5% STT, that is the Service Turnover Tax and 15% VAT which are mandatory government taxes). I do love Fiji, I REALLY DO, however prison is not a place I would like to visit, which is why WE do pay taxes. If you need to complain about the taxes, please send a letter to the government or the minister of tourism (there is a web site which is actually quite informative and helpful). Also the taxes were on your quotation and booking confirmation I sent you.
11. We are not forcing anyone to pre book, you can call and see if there is availability; we do fill up fast as we do get mostly pre bookings
12. I am glad you did enjoy Taveuni. I have not given up on Bank of America or your bank for that matter, not quite yet. Wow, this was THE longest reply ever, sorry, but I felt it important to answer each item and I do hope your next vacation is more enjoyable to you! Please do voice your concerns before leaving a property and when you have them as it will help whomever to make your stay more enjoyable.
Viola

Reviewed 8 January 2014

.....was well worth the long trip. We arrived a week after the December typhoon but the staff had already started cleaning up from the storm. The resort is very basic, no frills but clean and in a lovely setting. The cook, bar and housekeeping staff were immediately attentive to any need or request. After stepping off the lovely beach into the dive boat, dive sites were only a few minutes away and our competent boat captain was familiar with the local waters. A note of interest....it seemed that we had quite a bit less cloudy and rainy weather than Taveuni across the channel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jerri A
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I have travelled over 100 countries and stayed in many places /This is Number One.being vegetation , no problem,upon arrival dal &roit ,reminded of mine grandmother.dive ,explaintion about sea ,fish was great. Hope to come back soon and be with this friendly plp again/ and thanks for letting me be part of the employee Christmas party
And kava ,fijis trational drink was awsome.l ill be back soon
Anand

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Anand45
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Written in July 2013 during visit; submitted November 2013.

A stay at Dolphin Bay Divers allows you easy access to some of the best diving in Fiji, on the Rainbow Reef. This is a small, low-key 'retreat' that has a laid-back atmosphere but that pays considerable attention to detail. We enjoyed our stay immensely and recommend it highly to other divers with the caveat that to really enjoy Dolpin Bay Divers, they must be relatively easy-going people who are happy with somewhat rustic accommodations, capable of using resources thoughtfully, and who aren't picky eaters.

We purchased a package that included a 7-night stay in a bure, 10-dive package, and full meals.

Our particular bure was shared side-by-side with another (a kind of tropical 'duplex'). The room is an "L" shape with a covered deck filling in the square footprint. The room itself is bright and breezy and very comfortable. But it is made of very light materials and so depends on adjoining neighbours being thoughtful of one another (our neighbours were great).

The bure is a low-rise building of simple tropical construction, with a tin roof and a rough ground floor covered over by vinyl flooring (e..g, no plywood subfloor, just vinyl over earth that can get quite slippery when wet). There is a large double/queen bed with mosquito netting, jutting into the top portion of the "L" with three windowed walls around the sizes and foot of the bed. There is a single bed and a couple chairs in the room as well, along with some flat spaces to place your small belongings (watch, alarm clock, glasses, reading book, etc). There is a small closet with a few hangers and two sulus that you can use during your stay. There is also a cookie jar full of home-made cookies that you can enjoy during your stay - a nice little extra.

Back of the room is an ensuite bathroom with concrete floor. It is equipped with a hot water shower, sink and toilet. There are no persistent sources of water on the island and so they very reasonably ask that you conserve water during your stay (e.g., turn off the shower while soaping, don't leave the water running while brushing your teeth). This may seem a bit oppressive to guests unaccustomed to conservation efforts, but for us it was no problem at all.

The room is equipped with solar-powered lights in the main room and bathroom, plus a solar-powered reading lamp. Outdoors, the way to the room is marked by tiki torches. Nevertheless, a small flashlight would serve you well during your visit. A power generator runs for a few hours in the morning and in the evening; there is space in the kitchen where you can charge any electronics you may have with you. Apparently there is wifi near the kitchen that is available during the hours that the generator is running, but I was never inclined to use it.

The tap water is OK for brushing teeth but should not be consumed. There is a large water filter on your porch that will provide you with unlimited (free) drinking water during your stay.

The retreat itself is very small with a maximum of about 25 guests staying in a variety of accommodations - bures, tipis and tents. We had been a little reluctant about a tent option because we were concerned about security of the items we were traveling with (money, passports, computers, etc) but this retreat is so far off the beaten path and is so small that nobody comes or goes without recognition. Your stuff is safe and the tents are large (standing room) with big tarps overhead.

The retreat is the only populated area along the bay that it occupies and accessible only by boat, giving rise to the appropriate label of 'retreat' (NOT 'resort'). The buildings are all of simple construction and built back from the beach; they are not a blight on the landscape the way some resorts can be; there are no masses of poured concrete! Meals are served at the kitchen where a covered deck is set with several tables. Guest may choose to dine with other guests or on their own, as they wish. Weather permitting, the evening meal is sometimes served in front of the kitchen, under the stars.

We very much enjoyed the opportunity to dine with the other guests and sometimes also with staff. Guests and staff know and refer to one another by name.

The meals are outstanding. I feared a week of bland, buffet-style offerings. Instead, we received personalized table-service with a fixed menu that varied delightfully from day-to-day. If you have food allergies or are a very picky eater, you should talk to them about meal options before booking; we have no dietary restrictions and found the meals to be tasty, well-presented, very well prepared, and satisfying.

For those with a big appetite, seconds can be requested and will be happily provided. And the resort caters to the munchies by providing a for-fee snack service as well as complimentary and constantly available freshly-made cookies, tea, coffee, and filtered water. Alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages (other than the free filtered water, tea, coffee) are available for purchase; the prices are very reasonable, with no obvious gouging. When we visited, alcoholic drinks varied from $6.00FJ or about $3.50CAD/AUS for a Fiji Bitter beer to $13.50FJ or about $7.50CAD/AUS for a pina colada.

The staff are extraordinarily friendly and helpful and we cannot over-emphasize the excellent quality of the service they provided. Their attention to detail was remarkable. They were so smooth and professional in their operation that it would be easy not to notice all that they do to make your stay enjoyable. But take the time to notice; this place is special.

At the room, we had sulus in our closet, umbrellas at the door, a beach basket with towels and mat. In the bathroom, we had shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and hand soap. On the porch, we had a table and chairs, filtered water and glasses, a hammock and a place to hang it. In front of the porch, we had two adirondack-style chairs and a foot-wash bowl to clear our feet of sand and grit. To the side of the bure, we had a large dry-line for wet articles.

On the grounds, there are numerous ropes slung between suitable trees to hang your hammock when you want to venture from the porch. There is a small dive shop with rinse buckets and drying racks for drying and storing wet gear (there is not, however, a full shop so don't count on making any dive-related purchases). There is a deck in front of the kitchen that is roofed-in and that can be covered over in case of heavy or driving rain. There is a small sandy beach in front of the kitchen with a long line of Adirondack chairs, in front of the house reef that can be snorkeled or independently dived (poor visibility, though, after rain or in high winds). For those so inclined, there are options for chair and full body massage, pedicure/manicure, etc.

"Extras" over and above the pre-paid package are billed to the room and can be settled at the end. Each evening, the staff provide a chit that summarizes the daily purchases and the total so that you can easily keep track of additional expenditures you might wish to make (none are required).

In the morning while we were at breakfast, the staff refreshed our foot-wash bowls. While out on our first dive, they made our bed, folded back the mosquito net, pulled back the curtains, tidied, and cleaned our bathroom. While at dinner in the evening, they put down our mosquito net, closed our curtains, and folded down our bed.

They offer 'happy hour' activities that are surprisingly fun and not nearly as cheesy as you might expect. We enjoyed that the staff played the games with us and didn't only provide entertainment. And their kava night is not to be missed!!

We had fun with coconut bowling, crab races, lovo night, kava night, traditional Fijiian dance, coconut demonstration (climbing the tree, drinking the green coconut, making coconut milk from the brown ones), etc.

Although many guests were divers, there were also many non-divers, and some families. The small beach area offers snorkelling and swimming; you can also walk 10 minutes over the hill to another beach for snorkelling. Independent children can roam without worry. There are many comfortable places to sit in the sun or shade to read a book.

The dive shop is very professional. The dive boats are restricted to a maximum of 10 divers but on most days there were no more than 4-6 in addition to the dive master and boat captain. Most dives are done as drift dives, whether or not there is strong current, so that the boat picks divers up at the end of their dive. The divemaster, AP, is laid-back and interactive but he and the captain are very in-sync with the divers, quick and efficient to change out tanks and organize gear and there are always good briefings; there is no confusion on land or under water.

For us, Dolphin Bay Divers' Retreat was nothing short of perfect.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple