Tribewanted FIJI
  • Pool
US$1,058
US$965
Agoda.com
Gecko Lodge Fiji(Savusavu)(Great Value!)
US$65
US$61
Naveria Heights Lodge(Savusavu)(Great Value!)
US$117
Agoda.com
US$865
US$846
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
Nukubati Private Island(Nukubati Island)
Priceline
Daku Resort(Savusavu)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 December 2010

If you want to get back to the joy and simplicity of island living in a safe, friendly, culturally rich way then this is the perfect opportunity to do it.

First class luxury in the stereotypical way it is not, but, if falling asleep to the sounds of the waves, learning to sing and dance with wonderful Fijian joviality, discovering the customs and ways of the real Fijian people, or simply swinging in a hammock by the sea, but most importantly reminding yourself about life without mobile phones, the news channels and timetables, is your idea of luxury, then this is first class.

Expect to deal with insects and sand in your clothes, to wash in the sea and to show respect for the land and the people with their friendly and respectful ways.

Go to the tribewanted website to learn more before you go:
www.tribewanted.com

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BlackFairyMonkey
Reviewed 2 December 2010

I traveled to Fiji and it was the greatest thing I have ever done in my life! Great experience, great people and helping out those we visited. High recommend this trip!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2010

we loved so much about vorovoro - the fijians who work there are amazing and so are the whities who work there, and its great that its as eco and sustainable as it is. if you're thinking of travelling in fiji it's a great place to start where you'll learn about the culture and how friendly and approachable people are. The hammocks are very comfy and there is lots of great music at the grog sessions in the evenings. Our kids loved the tiny village atmosphere and fell in love with the island kids and the fijians working there.
I do have to say that overall it is not the most beautiful place in fiji, the beach is rocky with coral, and the island is tiny so there is not much to explore on foot. you have to bring your own sheets which is inconvenient if you're traveling with a family, as it makes lots of extra luggage.
lots of travelers seem to stay here for months, especially older british backpackers, which gives the place a slightly cultish feel, maybe they are lethargic from all the grog drinking. i think people feel that they have found the "real fiji" but actually fijians in many of the small places we stayed were so friendly and welcoming that we were quickly invited into their homes and welcomed as family in many places. i can see how great it would be as a single traveller to come here, as you are really welcomed and feel like part of the family, and there are many great people here who make you laugh a lot. the food is also fantastic.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank babyrhonda
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Well I'd read all the websites, followed the story for several years before I had the courage to give it a go. I'm not your backpacker type and really don't do camping, 3 star is roughing it so all my friends were hugely amused when I said I was going to an island with no power or water.

Oh how I wish I had had more faith in myself; I only booked for 1 week and it was NOT enough time in that wonderful place. I was unlucky to be there when we only had a few other tribemembers so we didn't have the people to tackle any big jobs but lucky we only had a few people because I made good use of the hammock society.

People have asked what did I do and although no big jobs tackled plenty of things to be done- sorted and tidied the first aid kits, scrubbed the dining tables (well pleased with my efforts there), swept out the vale, weeded the showers (grass growing up thru the concrete), tidy Grand Bure, always something that needs attention if you are willing to pitch in.

Also managed to read 2 books, relaxed in the hammocks, snorkelled, school trip and unfit me conquered the 4 peaks (sorry to my fellow climbers for the heavy breathing sound track; it's terrible when you are secretly pleased when someone grazed their knee so you can sit and regain your breathe.) oh and don't forget the kava sessions. To listen to the voices of the Fijians singing is a gift.

I loved the simple and hearty food, I slept like a log under my mozzie net (sorry for the snoring), I even managed to get used to 3 lt water in the bucket showers and the compost toilets really don't smell I was amazed.

I have been to Fiji many times but had never been to the north. It is a beautiful place and would recommend taking a look around Vanua Levu. I thought I understood village life etc but in the north it is actually REAL. On the Coral Coast and the islands off Nadi where most people visit the traditions have been watered down to fit into a tourist visit.

I enjoyed the time on Vorovoro and would go back in an instant. The Cahills are truly wonderful people and even though I was only on the island for 1 week I felt welcomed and truly part of the tribe. It is a wonderful place that can make you sad to leave after only 1 week.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank OnaDarwin
Reviewed 12 May 2010

Captivating, unique, inspiring, life-changing, soul-shaping, beautiful, chilled, remote, peaceful. An eco-tourism, cross -cultural haven. Let the local fijian villagers tell you a few stories, drink grog, meet Tui Mali-chief of the region, visit a local school, play volleyball with the locals, learn how to weave coconut thatch roof, help with the work of the fijian community in building and maintenance, eat 5 times a day. Sleep (under a mosquito net)and be lulled to sleep by the sound of the lapping shore. My only concern, during the whole time was 'How many times can I phone the airline to extend my trip?' I did not want to leave and I miss the island like crazy.
A chance to realise how simple life can be- if you allow it to be. The island is remote and beautiful and the 'tribewanted' project has always set out to have no negative impact on the physical or social environment. The project has great green credentials and is working towards being zero waste, so don't bring too much disposable stuff (plastic bags etc) unless you intend to take it away with you too. And ladies, this will not be a bikini-party. Fijians are very modest and shy about the female form so long skirts, t-shirts, and boardshorts are a must. It's all about us going into their culture and respecting it, learning from it. Not about us imposing our idea of a beach resort on the locals. It is wonderful. If you're sick of the same-old, same-old in your travels this place is for you!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo