“Wonderful place - very highly recommended. I love it!”

Nukubati Private Island
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Labasa
Brisbane, Australia
“Wonderful place - very highly recommended. I love it!”
Reviewed 26 May 2011

My husband and I recently had our second trip to Nukubati. It's difficult to sum up why it's so fabulous when on each trip there have been things that haven't been ideal that we would have liked to have changed. But so much more has been amazing and the down side is easy to forgive.

In writing this review I am being extremely honest - the whole point of this site is exactly that and so it inevitably includes some nit picking. But the fact that we visited twice in six months is really what speaks volumes and I honestly can't recommend it highly enough.

The location is fabulous, but if you prize luxury transfers over seclusion, forget it. The four wheel drive has seen better days and the boat transfer at low tide is an experience... For us though, leaving everyone else to load on to a mini bus while we take off with our driver is what we enjoy. Another reviewer mentions going in one direction while everyone else goes in the other. That's exactly what it's like and why it's great.

The journey takes about an hour but it's then a five minute boat ride to the island where you have a wonderful welcome with all staff singing as you arrive. On our second trip a "welcome back" banner was displayed and petals on our bed also spelled out "welcome back".

The food is great though I share the view of another reviewer about the quality of the champagne and wine, and the canapes at sunset. I too would be happy to pay another $300 per person for decent wine and champagne which is about all it would cost, as most couples there only drink a few glasses each a night. I'd really like to see the wines improve for next time. The canapes could be done away with if not improved.

The staff can't be beaten. SO friendly, and on our second trip we were greeted with hugs and kisses. Nothing is too much trouble. The Fiji night with singing, dancing (of course) kava is great and I also LOVE curry night!

We enjoyed on our second trip having other guests to chat with before dinner each night (our first trip was just us) and we also enjoyed freshly caught sashimi each night before dinner - yum!

Be warned though that if your idea of a great holiday is getting dressed up or "being seen" around a pool, this isn't for you. I took a few pairs of heels on my first trip which didn't get a wear and on the second trip took only flip flops and ballet flat for the overnight flight. A very relaxed vibe. And there there isn't a pool - just the beautiful Pacific ocean right outside your bure.

The beds are a bit hard for my liking. I like a firm bed but on this trip I couldn't get comfy. The rooms are lovely and though more rustic than Ritz-y they are just my cup of tea. The decks are great and the bures had had a make-over in between our trips (though didn't look like they needed one).

In terms of other room for improvement, I would suggest that this is in relation to the general organisation around activites. On our first trip, the owner, Jenny was there and things ran a lot more smoothly. Our sandbank picnic didn't go to plan though as we were dropped off as the tide was coming in and had to radio the island to be rescued!! Which probably sounds much worse than it was (no real danger). The problem there was actually that we asked to go at a particular time and the staff are so obliging, that they agreed with the time we suggested rather than point out to us that this was the time the tide would turn and suggesting a better time. This is very much a cultural thing too with Fijians wanting to please.

On the last day of our recent trip the duty manager told us at breakfast that our planned fishing trip wasn't happening (though he went!). As it was our last day we were pretty disappointed. He also left us to sort out our own activity for the day but luckily the other staff were helpful and we'd got to know the other guests so could gatecrash their snorkelling trip. (We must have made it clear we were disappointed as we ended up being taken out that evening.) I do think that when Jenny isn't there things don't go as well and aren't as organised. Nukubati is essentially a small business and like most they need the boss there to keep things ticking over efficiently.

The boats can be hit and miss and we've had one breakdown (cue second rescue!) and another where it took a while to get started.

The other thing about the activities that we didn't understand (though in fairness didn't ask for an explanation) was that whilst we understand that boat trips to the reef or fishing mean that you pay for fuel, there didn't seem to be a reduction in the amounts even though on both our snorkelling trips we went out with other guests and presumably therefore were sharing the cost.

My tip about all that? Be clear at the start what you expect from your activites each day and ask to be told if there is a change, and why. Try and deal with Jenny!

Quite honestly, none of this has put us off. For us, who are only three hours to Nadi from Australia, it's a very convenient place to go for guaranteed relaxation, wonderful service and oustanding natural beauty. We are now looking to book the whole island in a year or two, for the whole family, which allows you to take kids if Jenny agrees. I can't think of anything nicer than five days with the extended family and the Nukubati family.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the beachfront bure
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank nailartsua

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 May 2011

O.K. So you say that you are looking for an amazing vacation, a once in a lifetime experience, a place that is worth all the time you spent working overtime, a resort that is worth all your saved up hard earned money, and your time of countless hours looking at the internet, bugging your spouse/partner on where to go...well look no further. Nukubati is it. Our "Must Haves" were simple, no kids, amazing food, quiet, peace and culture.

I spent hours and I mean hours looking for a place that would fit the criteria of a "perfect" vacation for my husband and I. Yes, Nukubati is a distance away, but it was so worth it. Our time on the island was more of an experience than a vacation. We experienced Fiji. With all of it's beauty, charm, adventure and sanctuary.

From the adventurous ride from the airport to the last good-byes on the beach, and knew that I had found the perfect vacation.

Not enough can be said of the staff and their fearless leader Jenny. They are a part of Nukubati, heck they ARE Nukubati. Never have I felt so welcome away from home.
I thanked them profusely upon our departure and I will welcome them with hugs when we return.

Highlights include; catching my first fish EVER with Allan, octopus hunting with Eta, snorkeling the Great Sea Reef with Villi, visiting the village and school with Kim and Salote, drinks with Jenny (telling stories and funny dreams...you had to be there) and spending time with my wonderful husband of 20 years.

Nukubati is for those travelers who want peace, quiet, tranquility, fun and adventure

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank klphillip
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 4 May 2011

How can I describe my week at Nukubati? I arrived frazzled and left with a pervading sense of peacefulness. It's not just the idyllic island setting that makes Nukubati amazing. Nor is it just the proximity to the vast Great Sea Reef just a short boat ride away. And though the cuisine was a triumph and a treat to look forward to at meal times, there was much more to my stay than that.

I came alone... a traveler in search of who knows what on a yearlong journey around the world. Nukubati was my first stop. In spite of its perfect setting, amazing food and glorious diving, I attribute most of my satisfaction to the darling staff members who sang, danced and laughed with the warmth and familiarity of dear friends.

The only downside to Nukubati, and I suppose it could also be seen as a positive, is it's a bit hard to get to. Remote, secluded, peaceful and private.

I hope I'll find myself at Nukubati again in the future!

Such warm people!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank BAA1113
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed 14 December 2010

Don't let the title of this review "Island Paradise" fool you. Yes, Nukubati is an island paradise in a very remote area of the Fiji islands (part of its allure), but what sets Nukubati apart is the people. You truly do become part of the family when you stay at Nukubati.

Pictures on the website cannot do justice to the beauty of the facilities or the surrounding area. Stunning. From the very private bures to the expansive veranda where you eat most of your meals Nukubati is elegant and graceful-- a quiet sanctuary for establishing relationships with new friends, or old.

What do you look for on a honeymoon? Spectacular location--yes. Privacy--yes. Exceptional service--yes. Great food--yes. Memories of a lifetime--yes. I highly recommend Nukubati to anyone looking for these things. But, be warned. You will fall in love with Nukubati and the people there and immediately start thinking about how to get back.

Congratulations to Jenny and Peter on creating such a wonderful resort in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Recommendation: Make sure to stay at Fiji Orchid (also owned by Jenny and Peter) the night before you fly out of Nadi.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sailfishshooter
sydney
Reviewed 7 December 2010

so one year later I was compelled to revisit my excellent adventure in paradise and I was not disapointed..............from the moment of my arrival when I was greeted on the beach by the laughs and warm smiles of the staff there .I was not disappointed. memories that i had rehashed in my head all year were revisited.....lying on the beautiful beach surrounded only by friendly crabs and walks around the island remained so peaceful and healing after a stressful year .Once again the beautiful organic food and my favourite the lobster .............sitting in paradise eating lobster bisque ............it just couldnt get much better.The staff and owner Jenny Bourke were so caring and looked after my every whim............a picnic on the sandbar after a morning of snorkeling and seeing all the fabulously coloured fish and corals was amazing.This beautiful unspoiled paradise will be in my heart forever and I am still dreaming of this special place.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank princesscurry
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 December 2010

Having been back to work for 4 weeks can only think of the wonderful time we had on our own private island. If you want quite relaxed times fantastic service & great food this is the place. Not for everyone kids are not a good thing.

But if you want to switch off & recharge in a place that has NO PHONES NO T.V. & little noise except for the water & fish jumping then this is the place.

A trip to the Great Sea Reef is just amazing.

In short one word.........."GO"

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peteanddonna3545aa
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 23 November 2010

It is hard to find the words to describe Nukubati Island. Picture your happy place; that place where you go when you close your eyes and think of paradise, add a very small number of like-minded guests to have a drink or adventure with (if you so choose), and an amazing friendly staff that truly care about your experience - this is Nukubati Island.

The activities, from the diving to the kayaking and the volleyball; all super. You can stay totally active all day long, or simply read on the beach and have a spa treatment; your call. The diving was incredible, and our sunrise kayaks around the island were tough to break after we got home to San Francisco. Despite the impeccable service and conditions, the vibe was very laid-back. The staff were happy to be there, enjoyed each others' and the guests company, and had the freedom to be themselves - they are just fun to be around. We spent some of the best times on the island having a drink with Jenny and our new friends, or taking a walk with Sera, having a chat with Vili, Lote or Loata, floating on a boat with Cisse, oh, and watching the crabs on the beach during sunset!

I can truly say that 8 days were just not enough time, but I would say that if we were there for months as well. The experiences we had on the island were tremendous, and we look forward to returning again soon! Thank you Jenny and crew for an amazing trip!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DGK01
Also consider these accommodations in or near Labasa
The Remote Resort - Fiji Islands
#1 of 12 in Savusavu
Naveria Heights Lodge
Naveria Heights Lodge
#8 of 12 in Savusavu

Been to Nukubati Private Island? Share your experiences!