“Quaint - but will probably improve.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Chong Pong Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 13 Restaurants in Savusavu
Reviewed 18 September 2009

Up a long stairway from the main street in Savusavu is the Chong Pong Chinese restaurant - or the Chung Pong (the name on the menus). The framed posters around the walls are probably collectible as they are so old, and that I think is the end of the decor and ambience statement. A small timid Chinese lady behind an equally small counter provided the reception, but as she was trying to feed a toddler in a stroller at the same time we didn't get very far. She apparently spoke no English so I sat at a table and waited.
Eventually she came to the table and pointed to the menu. I asked a question about one of the Chinese dishes, but she was either unable to understand me or unable to explain. A young Chinese man came out from the kitchen and we had a broken English point-and-guess discussion about the menu. I settled for Combination Chow Mein with crispy noodles. Within minutes I had a huge plateful of delicious Chinese food on the table. Good food, and cheap prices.
The restaurant is large, with open air windows guarded by locally welded reinforcing rod bars - no glass - so there is a breeze, which is necessary as the single electric ceiling fan - located directly over one of the tables - did little to stir the air in the rest of the room.
Beer can be bought, but I never did find out about the wine list. Maybe next time.
A quaint restaurant which will probably improve out of sight once the two young Chinese kids get the hang of it. Worth a visit.

1  Thank Tollgates