Emaho Sekawa Resort
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspetra and lukassand islandour honeymoonprivate villaseparate living roomriver kayaklush greenerystaff cateredfavourite cocktailchanging viewsinfinity poolmuch needed restintimate weddingstayed longernearby waterfallowners and stafffishing trip
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 October 2011

My husband and I are regular visitors to Fiji and have been to many fabulous islands and resorts there including most 5 and 6 star luxury island escapes. You do become jaded to a certain extent and, I have to say, there was no chance of that happening when we stepped foot on Emaho! It truly was a unique experience for both of us and unlike any of the other resorts we'd been to in the past.

Our hosts, Petra and Lukas, were attentive to our needs from the get go and, while ensuring we wanted for nothing during our stay, still ensured we had the privacy we were looking for. Our team of staff were very friendly - you could have as little or as much involvement with them as you wished, however, we couldn't help but be drawn by their infectious enthusiasm. We left there like we were leaving family behind.

At Emaho we found fabulous food which was as fresh as you could get them - the fish was most likely caught by Lukas during the day and the veggies picked from the gardens or bought locally as needed. In fact, it was a regular joke that my husband was going to divorce me to marry George the chef! The tables were always set beautifully with handpicked flowers and the food was simply delicious. I remember being told "if it's not fresh, we don't cook it" - it really was the truth.

The Villa was simply breathtaking! There was an everchanging view of the lush rainforests to one side and the sea on the other. We never grew tired of sitting on the open deck and looking out to the magnificent view - usually with a lovely breeze blowing across the Villa. One evening we had the fortune to be almost enveloped amongst the clouds which was quite an experience. The Villa was clean with luxurious appointments and high quality products such as Pure Fiji bathing products. The infinity pool overlooking the rainforest and out to the sea was used every single day, usually with a mojito in hand.

In short, a visit to Emaho is a MUST and well worth it. We're definitely coming back for a return visit!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Trish C
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Like you, we always read these TripAdvisor reviews with a grain (or two) of salt -- but rest assured, no salt is required here. My wife and I wholeheartedly share in all of the praise being sung for Emaho Sekawa and its owners and staff on these pages.
Petra and Lukas came to Fiji with a dream, and for a little while, during your stay at Emaho Sekawa, you get to be part of it. They got everything right here. A truly unique spot in the world, and one we hope to return to soon.

Room Tip: No choices here -- there is a single villa and it is all yours...
2  Thank ParisLawyer
Reviewed 9 September 2011

First let’s get a few things out of the way. My husband and I don’t scuba dive. We don’t water-ski or wind-surf. What we wanted from our Fiji vacation was beauty and relaxation. And that's exactly what we got, starting with an unforgettable flight over sparkling water and fluorescent blue-green coral reefs to the lush island of Vanua Levu and the tiny Savusavu airport, where Lukas and Inise were waiting to greet us and take us to Emaho Sekawa Luxury Retreat. From that moment until our departure 11 days later, the wonderful Emaho Sekawa team looked after us, attentive but never obtrusive, combining ultimate professionalism with a warm, personal touch.

Many happy hours were spent in leisurely walks, gathering seashells on the beach and admiring the truly astonishing variety of tropical plants on the Emaho Sekawa grounds. Other times we were content just to hang out in our private villa on top of the world, enjoying the fabulous ocean, rainforest, and mountain views—watching the sun set, the moon rise, and the fruit bats in twilight flight. We experienced many culinary pleasures, eating coconut, papaya, bananas, and passion fruit fresh from the garden. Kokoda, the delicious local version of ceviche became an instant favorite, as did palusami, a savory coconut cream wrapped in dalo leaves. A salad of wild ferns picked by the wise and wonderful Kini, with her extensive knowledge of horticulture and Fijian herbal lore was another hit. And there were tropical cocktails and a lovely selection of wines to accompany the meals, which, like every part of the Emaho Sekawa experience, were designed and executed with imagination and taste—and always with an eye for what we liked and what we wanted from our vacation.

One day Petra took us to Vunivesi Village, where we partook of a ceremonial bowl of kava and saw traditional dances performed with spirit and charm by a group of local youths. Although the entire performance was put on especially for my husband and me, it didn’t feel “touristy.” Instead, there was an intimacy and authenticity to the experience, and we felt very honored by the attention, which included a tour of the small village and its lovely gardens. As always, we were struck by the friendliness of the Fijian people and by the sense of mutual interest and respect that accompanied all of our interactions with them. When we remarked on a large textile featuring the Statue of Liberty hanging from the balcony of a 2-story home and visible throughout the village, we were told this was the chief’s house. We assume that he or she (yes, there are women chiefs in Fiji) put out similar displays for British, Australian, and other visitors, a typically thoughtful and diplomatic gesture.

Twice we got a ride into Savusavu Town where we strolled in and out of the central farmer’s market and various little street front shops. There was not a Starbucks or McDonald’s or Gap anywhere to be found. Instead (and far more interesting), there was a local DVD store carrying every volume of "The Gods Must Be Crazy" (who knew there were so many, but obviously the material strikes a chord) and a tiny mini-mart selling machetes, Coca Cola, fresh fish, and—as the owner proudly pointed out on a shelf above our heads—a casket. Forget AM/PM—this is a serious convenience store, one that takes customers from cradle to grave!

The multicultural aspect of Fiji was very evident in Savusavu: statues of Ganesh rubbing shoulders with tikis; Thai, Indian and Fijian curries sharing menus with pizza and steak; a humorous headline “Off With Her Head!” in the local newspaper, referring to the imminent phasing out of the old Fijian currency with Queen Elizabeth on it; billboards advertising local beer; Mormon missionaries walking down the street in gray flannel sarongs; local police in spiffy black-and-white sarongs with zigzag hemlines and stylish shoes! And driving out of town, a group of children playing soccer in a field and an old woman’s gap-toothed smile as she carried what had to be a very heavy load of sugar cane on her shoulder... So many images engraved in our minds.

Although, as previously mentioned, my husband and I are not particularly athletic people, we did enjoy some beginner’s level water sports, under strict supervision of course! We tried kayaking. And my husband enjoyed a sport fishing excursion with Lukas one day and snorkeling at Sand Island another. (He is still raving about the beautiful cobalt blue starfishes he saw there.) I thought the native approach to fishing looked more my speed—family groups wading far into the shallow waters, talking and laughing and splashing (it looked like a party to me), and then returning to shore with beautiful fish wriggling in their hands, ready for their beach barbeque! I hope next time I visit that I might be invited to join one of these fishing excursions!

One evening we dined at the Cousteau resort, a beautiful place, but big and impersonal compared to Emaho Sekawa. And then, on our way back to the U.S., we spent several hours exploring the large “resort village” at Denerau Island on Viti Levu, with its great crowds of tourists shuttling between a half dozen major hotels (which all looked pretty much the same to me), beaches, golf course, marina, Hard Rock Café, souvenir super-shops, and so on—a commercial hub completely cut off from any real sense of place or people or from what I believe is the “real” Fiji.

In my mind, this kind of packaged tourist paradise cannot begin to compare with the Emaho Sekawa Resort—the private, serene and quite transcendental setting; a level of care and attention to detail that goes far beyond "room service" (did I mention fresh flowers on our bed and all around the Villa every day!); and the unique opportunity to actually experience the Fijian people and culture in a personal and meaningful way. Our island getaway represented 11 days of complete escape from urban stress, a taste of life lived within the rhythms of nature. And Emaho Sekawa itself was the perfect combination of simplicity and luxury. It was an amazing vacation, both physically and spiritually revitalizing. So we say to all of our friends at Emaho Sekawa, “Vinaka vaka levu.” Thank you very much. We miss you, we treasure our memories of the time we shared with you, and we look forward to returning someday.

Room Tip: You're the only guest(s), the center of the universe. Everything is the best!
5  Thank Lois B
Reviewed 21 August 2011

My wife and I spent our 2nd anniversary in Fiji. We had the luxury of visiting two resorts and sailing on the Tui Tai. We stayed at Namale resort for two days and loved it. Then sailed the Tui Tai for a week and had a great time there. Little did we know that we had saved the best for last. Our week at Emaho Sekawa was magical. We had seen the website before we left but it did not prepare for the experience of Ehaho Sekawa.
When we arrived we were taken to our villa. Absolutely amazing accommodations. Petra and Lucas spent four years building this villa and it shows. from the infinity pool to the tasteful decor, to the amazing view. The picture on the website of the peak over the rain forest, THAT is your view from your deck. Stunning, amazing, breathtaking, pick your description but it is unparalleled, and I have been many amazing places in my life. This is in the top 5.
So you have great villa, beautiful view and you are in Fiji. Pretty great so far, but it gets better at Emaho Sekawa!
First you are the only guest. The entire staff at your beck and call. Petra and Lucas are wonderful hosts and always checking on your satisfaction and needs. George the chef is phenomenal. Something you like he will accommodate. Want more of something, no problem. Want it at 3:30 or 5:00 or first thing in the morning, you got it. Always fresh, always delicious. All of the staff genuinely friendly in that Fiji tradition that amazes anyone from the West.
My wife and I are very active, and Emaho Sekawa delivered with a variety of expeditions that we still we talk about. If you are in shape, the waterfall is a non-miss excursion. But the beauty of Emaho Sekawa is that you can do whatever you want. You want to lie around the villa drinking champagne in the infinity pool, no problem. The masseur will arrive at the time you designate. Want to hack you way through the jungle to a waterfall that few ever see, still not a problem. You design your trip and Lucas and Petra will accommodate.
We can't wait to go back, and next trip we will be bringing our new daughter. I am told that Fiji women are excellent with children!

7  Thank Doug64
Reviewed 10 June 2011

Seclusion, luxury, privacy, great service and food was what we were looking for on our honeymoon. At Emaho Sekawa we were not disappointed and neither will you be! Every whim has been catered to, every little luxury has been included, from fresh frangipani's to the best food in the world is just the start.

On arrival, we were greeted by Lucas and Inise at the airport, with fresh cold water and towels, ready to take us to the resort. Coming from Labasa the drive was just breathtaking. Experience villages, culture and rainforest while Lucas happily chats away to you. When we arrived at the villa, it was not what we were expecting at all, it was more! With a beautiful song from the staff and fresh coconut juice, we were wondering what was ahead of us. There we met Petra, Lucas's wife, who both own the resort.

We were shocked to learn that we were the only ones in the resort, that its exclusivity was beyond anything in the world. One villa all to yourself! The whole resort all to yourself with your own private, chef, butler, masseur, and so forth. George who is positively the best chef ever, would cook us what we wanted. We could have our romantic meals in the villa, under the stars, in the pavilion, wherever we wanted. We had 3 meals a day, 5 course meals, we struggled to keep up! I think by the end of the first day, we were wanting to take George home with us. When he found out my husband was sick, he made him chicken soup. The service was really off the charts! And we wont forget to mention Inise's great taste in music and delicious drinks.

The villa itself was amazing! An infinity pool was just perfect for a nice dip or the daybed to laze around. Decked with wood and a view to remember, we did not want to leave. We told Petra the pictures did not do it justice. Overlooking the rainforest and the beach, what more could you want?

Whilst there we also experienced the Lovo, a traditional fijian feast, where the meat is cooked in the ground, and is just so tender when it comes out! One of our favourite meals. We also recommend the Mekai dancing from the local village children. It is truly a wonderful and entertaining, a great laugh!!

For a relaxing holiday with every luxury imaginable, we would highly recommend Emaho Sekawa! Definitely a place you have to see. We hope to one day visit again.

Nabeel & Raheema...