Jean-Michel Cousteau Resort Fiji
Daku Resort(Savusavu)
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbula clubmarine biologistkids clubprivate islandjean michel cousteau resortfamily holidayglass bottom boatserenity poolfamily poolorganic gardenlunch and dinnerolder kidscrabocean front bureadult poolsorbetno air conditioning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This resort stunned me the moment I walked in. They first greet you with drinks, and then they show your children the kid's area. I went in the kid's area, and was very impressed. There was a big trampoline, a pool, a tennis court, a ping pong table, and a small sitting zip line among other games. Each kid gets her or his own babysitter that takes them around to wherever they want to go. Not just the service and amenities were great, the rooms and food were superb also. My family shared one room with very nice beds that had a very welcoming and comfortable atmosphere. The food was great, and we probably had about three courses within every course. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank JMRtravels2
Reviewed 22 December 2013

This was the best holiday for us and we are already planning to go back in 2014! We stayed there in November for ten days. We were welcomed with local songs and fresh juice, which was so refreshing.

Overall, this is a high quality establishment that prides itself on service. They really know how to deliver on this. The grounds are impeccable and the ethos of the place (sustainability and eco-friendly) is both successful and fascinating to learn about. The resident Marine Biologist (Jonny) is very knowledgeable and personable. He explains their eco policies and the development of the marine reserve in a very accessible way. The children love to spend time with Jonny and they all wanted to be Marine Biologists by the time they left JMC!

Our 9 year-old daughter (Maia) made some friends quickly and began to feel very comfortable with her staff-buddy. We hardly saw her as she was too busy with her daily program provided by JMC. The people were so friendly and so helpful. She even had one-on-one time with her buddy (Buna).

Meals: everyday for breakfast they have an al la cart menu plus an additional 2 different cooked choices on the black board which changed daily. Maia’s buddy and staff from the Bula club were always there to help us. Gosh, we did feel very spoilt by them. Lunch and dinner were excellent! If you have any special request, the chef always did their best to meet your needs. Oh, I forgot to mention about their homemade sorbets. Mmm…they were so delicious!

Bure: was clean and spacious, but if you are a light sleeper like me, don’t forget to bring a pair of earplugs. It is likely that you can hear people passing by your bure or other nocturnal happenings! Still, I had wonderfully restful nights on their high quality beds. By the way, before going to bed, the lovely staff would come and light the mosquito essence which is very necessary. I thought this was a very thoughtful gesture!

Activities: Every day they provide daily programed for adults as well as for both the under 5s and over 5s. It’s so well planned that my husband and I got to choose what we wanted without feeling guilty for leaving our daughter behind. We both knew she was having a fantastic time. If you love diving/snorkeling do come here as we had the best time and we believe it was the staff who made our trip so fabulous!

Perhaps the only suggestion would be that the weekly programme be extended to a two-weekly cycle for those of us who stay on longer.

This is a great place that lives up to its advertising and reputation.

Room Tip: If you come here without any children try to avoid Bure that is too close to the main entrance as you will hear children running/playing.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank 13jul
Reviewed 30 November 2013

At first the thought of sleeping in bures without air-conditioning was daunting, but truth is - we had a wonderful night's rest. The sea breeze and fan were more than equal to the heat. As to be expected, it is comfortably environmentally conscious - there are even plants grown to reduce the number of mosquitoes that might decide to take up residence at the resort!
The co-owners, Bart and Randy go out of their way to ensure your comfort. I was on a quest for a Fijan spice, Dhania, and Bart not only found it in his garden but he also dug up two shoots for me to take away with me.
The food was excellent and the resort luxurious.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Alan744
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Had a great time at the Jean-Michel Cousteau Resort. I was there with 4 others on a volunteer trip with Engineers Without Borders. We worked in three villages a couple of hours away from Savusavu during the week and staying at this luxurious resort during one of our weekend getaways was quite a treat. Bart and his staff were so friendly and made us feel right at home. The bures are beautiful, comfortable, fully stocked and quite large. Oh, and all the coconut/seaweed products in the bathroom were great.

We went snorkeling with their staff and it was amazing. I could only imagine how much greater it would have been with the Marine Biologist that they have on staff. We also enjoyed the food there. It was very delicious and they accommodate any diets or modifications, which I loved.

Get on a plane to Fiji and stay at Cousteau Resort. You will not regret it. Is is also very family friendly.

Bart, thank you for a great time! Adrienne, Joy, Suejung, Jessica, and I all appreciated staying at this beautiful resort and will never forget it!

Luis

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Luis A
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed here in May 2013 and I have only just got around to writing my review! Not having done a Fiji family holiday experience before, we chose JMC because of the Tripadvisor reviews and the resort met all of our expectations and more. I think JMC is wonderful for families – although there were some couples there without kids, my recommendation would be mainly towards families, as sometimes at night you can hear babies/toddlers crying in other bures. My husband, and two children (both under 3) were well looked after by all the staff whether it be house-keeping or activities, masseuses, Bula Club, the restaurant or management – every request was met with a helpful response or solution. The bure was very comfortable and all we really needed for our two week stay as we spent so little time in the room. We loved the Fiji products in the room and got so addicted to the natural mozzie-spray we had to buy a few bottles to bring back home and every time we use it, are reminded of our time at JMC.

The two nannies we were assigned were wonderful and very experienced and what a bonus to have them be able to babysit while you have dinner. As a mother of a young baby it took me a while to get used to having the assistance of a nanny (haven't used nannies before at home or on holiday) and after about 4 days I resigned myself to letting my bub be looked after for periods of the day by the nanny who was more than willing and in fact, I think it was better when I just left her to it rather than constantly hovering around. I also struggled with the concept of the long-days the Fijian nannies seemed to do (didn’t want to come across as some sort of exploitative rich tourist), but it was explained to me that the work is seasonal, they are paid by the hour and in busy times, they work longer hours to compensate the quieter times. The Fijians have childcare down pat and just love kids. A tip for other parents of young babies – take a pram as the nannies sometimes take all the young babies to the Point for their daytime sleeps which is just a wonderful place for the babies to have their sleeps. I used to visit them down there and it is a wonderful lovely spot to hang out in – no wonder they sleep so well – all that fresh warm sea air and palm trees.

The food was delicious and I loved that it was nice-sized normal portions (like French size not American/Australian supersized ones) so you always felt nicely content rather than over-stuffed full which I hate. My hubby and I didn’t put on weight over the holiday despite indulging in 2 x 3 course meals twice a day and a few choice cocktails which was nice, as that is often the downside to a holiday.

The massages by the sea were just divine, snorkelling with Johnny was superb and the diving at Namale was just out of this world (one of my top 3 dives ever!) – one of my dives there was like being in about 5 x David Attenborough documentaries in the same half hour – just awesome in terms of the coral and the sea-life. The dive-team are just so competent and helpful and I did about 8 dives while there, and my husband learnt to dive there due to the confidence he felt in the instructors and program. The reefs closer to the resort have been damaged by cyclones and Crown of Thorns starfish but I still found enjoyable despite this as you can still find wonder in the tiniest of cleaner-shrimp or nudibranches and still get surprised by a fast-swimming Spanish Mackerel or reef-shark even in these damaged reefs.

The atmosphere around the bar of an evening was always fun and we really enjoyed meeting and making friends with other couples.

The only thing that I could criticise was that two of the staff (from different parts of the resort), when engaged in lengthy friendly conversations for different reasons then made hints and overtures about needing extra money or gifts from us which put us in an awkward position as the resort make it very clear that their position on tips/gratuities should be done as a communal gift due to the village like atmosphere they try to engender there. I know it can be hard for the resort to manage a situation like this when you have a couple of hundred staff and am sure they tell the staff to not try and hit the guests up with sob-stories and other techniques to get a bit of an extra kick-back. I always wanting to give something extra to those that don’t expect it and who give you such good service, which is what we did as well as the communal gift – but none of this is expected from the resort so don’t let that put you off what was ultimately one of the best most relaxing holidays we’ve had in years. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family