“The Staff make the Resort” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jean-Michel Cousteau Resort

Jean-Michel Cousteau Resort
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Savusavu
Melbourne, Australia
“The Staff make the Resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Even though the resort is popular with families, at no time do you wish that you could strangle some annoying brat. The staff here make the kids and their associated noise disappear.

The resort is in a wonderful setting with nice Eco credentials, nice diving and good food. But it's the staff that make the stay memorable. They are genuinely friendly and genuinely focused on looking after you and your kids, nothing is forced or obsequious.

Room Tip: Beach front Bures are the go. Ask for a mosquito net
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank 496MikeH496

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Our holiday got off to a bad start when my Mum missed a step and fell leaving an airport hotel on our way to catch the domestic flight to Savusavu accompanied by bad weather and a nail biting flight across to Savusavu. The staff at Cousteau's turned all that around. They couldn't have been more kind and helpful. They met us at the Savusvau airport with an ice pack for Mum's ankle and took her straight to a doctor. She had badly sprained ankle and was confined to a wheel chair (provided by the resort) for the first few days of our stay. There was no shortage of willing helpers to help me wheel her around. A member of staff with knowledge of local medicine diligently came and applied leaves and rebandaged the swelled ankle each day. My 4yo son was assigned a male nanny (buddy) who was absolutely brilliant. Steven ensured that my son had a fantastic time snorkeling, kayaking, sailing, swimming and exploring (they built a great cubby house from plan leaves down by the beach). In between it all I got to enjoy some diving and the great food. My only regret is that I didn't book to stay longer (a mistake that I will rectify on my next visit.) A big thank you to all the staff at JM Cousteau's

4 Thank CherylAI
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

We were keen to take an international holiday but wary about the logistics and location with a 9 month old baby and 3 year old toddler. Would it be worthwhile?

Well, JMC made sure it was. This was the most relaxing 10 days I've had for 3 years!

We swam, snorkelled, kayaked, paddle boarded, read but bypassed the excursions because we were totally satisfied by the pool and beach.

We had an oceanfront suite so that the baby and toddler could share their own room, and this worked well. It meant we could pad around the other room during naps and after their early bedtime without disturbing them, and gave me a quiet room with a stunning view to breastfeed. There was a cot, baby bath, extra fan and mosquito nets for the kids in the room. The sea breeze was delicious, the room and bathroom immaculate and spacious.

The food was excellent and the wine list vast and really reasonably priced. I don't think we ate the same lunch or dinner twice, and the breakfast spread and daily specials were great. The kids meals, served in the family part of the restaurant or at the Bula Club, were also healthy and substantial if a bit sophisticated for our fussy toddler. Luckily they prepared more basic items on request and puree and mash for the baby. They sourced rice milk for us due to cow and soy milk allergy. There were highchairs in the restaurant.

Our three year old loved the kids club and was comfortable with her nanny after a few days of warming up and doing activities together. We settled into a lovely rhythm of playing together as a family in the morning, then dropping her at kids club at lunch for some nanny time, then meeting up hours later to hang out before dinner. The baby's nanny settled him and stayed in the bure while he napped or took him for long walks in the pram, which freed me up to sleep, read or get into the watersports. Freedom! We would settle the kids at bedtime, then could head out to dinner while the nannies minded the kids.

The kids club had all sorts of activities for the kids plus toys and equipment for fun: trampoline, cubby house with kitchen, pool and water slides, books, wading pool, sand pit, swings, floaties. The baby room had blocks and plastic toys, board books and bouncers. My three year old enjoyed face painting, arts and crafts, and there was a treehouse and adventure playground for older kids.

We loved the friendly staff, the relaxed calm vibe and the attention to detail. Nothing was too hard. We noticed the absence of signs - there's no rules posted by the pool, no signs saying you can't do this, you can't do that, please do this. Everyone is just chilled.

My only gripe: It would be nice if they actively reinforced the day bed policy - by breakfast they were all 'bagsed' and people would leave their stuff on them all day long, even if they went snorkelling or off to lunch. It was disappointing that staff didn't move belongings to the bar as they stated in the room compendium.

Room Tip: Pick an ocean view room to take advantage of the sea breeze. It was humid and sticky elsewhere in th...
9 Thank Meesy
Bendigo, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Bulla!. This was our third visit to Fiji (2nd with kids), but our first visit to Jean-Michel Cousteau Resort - and defiantly wont be our last!. We stayed at the resort for 10 nights and I think it was a perfect amount of time. Quite simply this resort is amazing!. I was told to look at this resort from our travel agent who had organised our last Fiji trip (Mana Island and Shangri-la's) - and found it very hard to resist given the great reviews. It met all my expectations and then some.

I could write about this resort forever, but to put it simply:

Accommodation: Spend a bit more for an Oceanfront Bure - it's worth it! We had our family of four (children 8 & 6 years) stay in a Oceanfront Bure and we had plenty of room. If you were worried about no air-conditioning - don't be! - the fans were more than enough as you get the breeze.

Grounds: Immaculate

Food: Delicious!. We never got tired of the menu. It was all fresh ingredients and cooked to perfection. This kids meals were not full of fried food, but rather healthy options.

Bulla club: This aspect of it really worried me when we were booking. I had read endless amounts of reviews about nanny's/buddy's taking the kids away to the Bulla club for the day. And look, this might suit some, but for us we love to go away on a family holiday to spend time with the kids and the thought of people hovering over us didn't really excite me. When we arrived at reception I looked around and the kids were gone!. My first thought was 'great, this is exactly what I was worried about - see you in a couple of weeks kids!'. But within 5 minutes (the time it took to finalise rooms, etc) the kids were back with huge grins on their faces!. My daughter is usually quite shy and to see this put me at ease. We made a point of reading and discussing the Bulla club and adult activities sheet of a night time in our room (they provide you this at turn down). We were then able to discuss with staff in the morning what our plans were (what we wanted to do as a family and when the kids would like to visit the Bulla club). I feel as though we had an excellent mix of family time this way and were also able to do some things together as a couple (adult snorkelling trip and dive). My concerns were left behind!.

Included activities: The activities (rainforest walk, mangrove trip, etc) were so well organised. The staff constantly catered to your every need including supplying water and towels.

Diving/snorkelling: The coral and marine life was amazing - best we have seen to date (we have not done a lot, but a couple of dives in the past). The kids learnt so much from the Marine Biologist Johnny - we really looked forward to his slide presentations of an evening.

Staff: What can I say - they are the most amazing people. I had read so many reviews of people leaving this resort feeling like they adopted a new family - and I totally agree!. We developed such great friendships with a lot the staff at the resort and it was very hard to say goodbye to them all. I simply cannot wait to say Bula again to them all.

The one and only downfall to this resort is the lack of a gym. My husband and I went running most mornings along the road out of the resort. We had two rather wet days, which meant the the road was quite muddy (I'm a country girl so a little mud doesn't worry me, but this was quite muddy!) - so we couldn't go, which meant that we were left without any options to do some fitness work. They do however have a gym trip to the local town, but its not every day, just a couple of days during the week - to have a gym at the resort would be an excellent idea!.

Well, I could ramble on for ages about this resort, but I wont. Let me just say, if are reading this review, then stop, go and book this place right now - you defiantly will not be disappointed!.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more and go with the Oceanfront Bure - its worth it for the views and waking to the sound...
5 Thank Belinda C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Took advantage of their offer to Scuba dive, A two dive package out to the "Chimneys", The dive was fantastic, the staff friendly, helpful, knowledgable. Would highly recommend. The facility was impeccable, thanks for a great afternoon!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We couldn't resist taking a quick trip over to JMC resort again for just a few days this time (following a business trip over to Fiji). This time however there has been a really fantastic upgrade of some of the resort - the bridge to the pontoon (following some damage apparently due to a storm) is gorgeous and some of the additional money spent on the resort made our stay even better than last time. Once again we had the best time - money well spent - even after only 4 days really relaxed - Bula Club did not let us down. I have to say thanks to the manager while we were there - given the short time we were there he went out of his way to make sure we were so well looked after (organised drinks for us out on the pontoon while our kids were well looked after in the Bula Club; sorted my husband out with his fishing and scuba diving, met us at breakfast to see how our night before went - really nice touch). Thanks all. We'll be back for sure.

Room Tip: I'd always recommend the water view rooms - sitting outside on your balcony/patio area with a dr...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sam W
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

This place is not cheap when you first look at it but get past the initial sticker shock and you will find this place is brilliant. Currently only 25 bures so even when the place is full, it certainly does not feel that way - unlike most other places with which it competes. So no competition for activities, tables at the restaurant, etc. It is exactly as Fiji is promised to be - relaxed, happy and absolutely a place you want to come back to. For adults it is a dream. For parent's it is even better. The free kids club is unlike any others we have seen. Rather than being like most kids clubs which are really just child minding services (often at an additional cost), the Bula club is actually day long organised activities the kids simply love. Sure many parent's will feel guilt the first time they leave the kids at the club, but that guilt simply melts at the end of the first day when they see their kids with huge smiles on their faces and simply exhausted from the activities they have done. The nannies and buddies which all the kids get are truly wonderful.

Ordinarily, I would recommend this place to everybody. But perhaps this time I should be selfish and hope that the place remains just as it is and increased demand won't encourage the owners to further develop the size of it.....

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family