“The real Fiji, wonderful, delightful, we are returning next year.”

Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Honolulu, Hawaii
“The real Fiji, wonderful, delightful, we are returning next year.”
Reviewed 27 June 2011

The Koro Sun Resort was amazing. A great place to remember why we fell in love in the first place. Clear clean water, beautiful snorkeling, balmy breezes, the best sleep we've had in a long time. The staff were great, even in a tropical downpour, loud as a freight train, they kept the food and smoothies flowing for us. The clubhouse and restaurant filled our needs, the only complaint was too much food. This place is beautiful, when the moon is out, the tall palms swaying, just so romantic. The spa has to be experienced, a cascading stream flowing right by the table. We are coming back next year. We had plenty to do and the charm of Fiji will be remembered until we return.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wenyi08
Josaia R, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, 13 January 2015

Thank you for your review back in June 2011.

My name is Josaia Rayawa ("JR"). My wife, Margie and I are the new Co-General Managers at Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa. We find this a great opportunity for us to introduce ourselves. Margie and I joined Koro Sun Resort in 2014.

We hope to be able to encourage you to come visit Koro Sun again. We are in the throes of including 8 new floating bures/villas on the lagoon, the first of its kind in Fiji.

Do let us know if you want us to keep you in the loop on the progress. My email is jr@korosunresort.com

Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My fiancé and I stayed at the Koro Sun for 6 nights in April. I booked the Ocean Bure (note, it’s not actually on the beach but located within the resort with ocean views). We arrived on Good Friday and were greeted with a welcome song, 5 min foot massage and fresh coconut drinks. The bure was pretty basic and had a courtyard, king size bed and bathroom, small fridge and kettle. The furniture looked tired. Mattress looked old.

On our second night, approx. 9.45pm I went to use the bathroom and to my horror saw a rat on the windowsill!!!! I screamed and shut the door, and in that split second, saw it run along the window sill and jump straight back where it came from - the toilet!! My fiancé was reading and asked what the hell happened? When I finally caught my breath, I managed to reply – a Rat! I saw a Rat! He opened the door and saw it moving around in the toilet, trying to escape. He quickly closed the toilet lid and tried flushing the rat. After a few attempts it got flushed away. He placed a 1.5L Fiji water bottle on the lid and closed the bathroom door. We didn’t want it crawling out while we were sleeping! He couldn’t believe what happened either. As the bathroom had mosquito netting on the windows and around the outdoor shower, there was only one way ‘in’ for the rat and one way ‘out’ (which was the toilet). We checked and couldn’t see any chewed holes or openings anywhere. It was the most disgusting thing I have ever experienced! Imagine if it didn’t jump back in the toilet and was on the floor running around in our bure? We had our toiletries next to the sink and threw out our electric tooth brushes. I was still busting to go to the toilet. I went back after I got my fiancé to lift the lid and give me the ‘all clear’. I wiped the seat and finally went. The fact I had to use the same seat as the rat disgusted me. I had to go at 3.30am and was too afraid to use the bathroom. I woke my fiancé, got him to check the bathroom and then went. There’s no way I would go back in by myself. I decided then and there, this is not how a holiday should be spent. So, I informed management of the incident in the morning. As my story unfolded, the two ladies’ jaws kept dropping. They apologised and said this has never happened before and will look at a solution for us. They sent someone to check our bure (5) but there was no point. The rat was long gone. After breakfast, the lady waved us over and we went to the front desk. They kindly upgraded us to the Honeymoon Bure and we stayed there for the remaining 4 nights. The Honeymoon Bure was spacious, 2 levels, private pool, balcony, hammock, outdoor shower, tv (which didn’t work), huge bed and air conditioning. Towels were changed daily and bed was turned down. Thank you for the upgrade. But the question looms – will this happen again to another guest?!?! I presume management have looked further into the rat incident and their septic tank system. It could easily happen again and when the resort is fully booked - management won’t be able to move or upgrade their guests. What’s the solution then?

Also, I was surprised there wasn’t a guest book or phones in the rooms. I wanted to know who the contact is in case of an emergency after hours (as they close front desk at 10pm) or who the manager on duty is after hours? If the rat got out of the bathroom and we needed help, who could we ask at 10pm at night? I did ask the question the following day and was told that a security person is on site after hours and to find him if we needed anything (which I found amusing). Management might think it’s unnecessary to maintain a guest book (too expensive to keep updated??) but after travelling to get there (which can be a mission for some), you want to get acquainted with your new environment as quickly as possible and know the basic info without having to constantly ask questions. I know the staff can answer the questions but it would be nice to have it all in one guest book and read about the nearest town, hospital, emergency contact, meal times, activities etc. That’s my opinion. But to be fair, any questions we did ask were answered by the staff in a friendly and efficient manner.

The Saturday market tour was disappointing. We paid $15 FJD per person and were taken into Savu Savu (20mins drive to town) by the driver from the resort. It was quite disorganised. If you are paying for a tour, you expect a tour. After dropping off a family that were going snorkelling at Split Rock, he parked the van and suggested we visit a souvenir shop which took 5mins. There was a husband and wife who had a handicapped daughter in a wheel chair and were keen to visit the Pearl shop. The driver suggested to drive them as walking would be too hot plus it was a busy day with locals everywhere. We all agreed to go and boarded the van and spent about an hour at the Pearl shop which I didn’t mind as it was air conditioned and had nice jewellery. We left and he drove us back to where the markets were. We explored the fruit and veg markets which took about 5mins (it was so busy as locals were buying their supplies for Easter) and then to another souvenir shop which was tiny and that took 5 mins as well. Not much to see or do. That was the tour. The driver said we could do our own thing, suggested we buy our own snacks, water etc which was fine by us and to meet at the bakery by 11.30. We returned to the bakery and found him sitting at a table inside another shop talking to his friends. He encouraged us to sit down which was cooler than waiting outside on the footpath. We waited 1 hr 45mins until the other family finished snorkelling. We thought it was time to finally go back, but our driver got the van and drove us to another supermarket up the street and asked if anyone wanted to buy any snacks? We already bought water and snacks and wanted to get going as it was so hot and humid and the van has no air conditioning (well not the kind the blows cool air). The driver jumped out of the van and went into the supermarket (alone) which we thought was a bid odd. After 15mins, it was getting quite hot and the other guests were complaining and I asked my fiancé to find him and get him to drive us back. Within minutes they both returned to the van. He was obviously trying to kill time waiting for the other family. I asked my fiancé – what was he doing and he said – nothing, he was walking around the aisles talking on his phone. We eventually drove back to collect the family and were glad to be finally returning to the resort. My recommendation is not to charge guests $15 FJD, maybe $5 FJD (to cover fuel costs) and drop us off and leave us to our own devices. Don’t call it a tour, it is misleading.

Other things to note:

There were no yoga classes contrary to the website. I asked about the classes and was told the teacher quit recently. It sounded to me there haven’t been classes for a while. Update your website if there are no classes; don’t leave the page blank. It is misleading.
The other restaurant was closed and was being refurbished or rebuilt? Again, the website should have a message saying it’s closed and why. This is misleading.

The tennis court is run down and needs re-surfacing (badly). I wouldn’t want to see someone trip and fall hard on the cement court and injure themselves.

There wasn’t much of a dvd collection even thought they call it a ‘dvd library’. Again, misleading. I didn’t count but reckon there were about 15 dvds and the movies were terrible. Maybe 1-2 were ok. Considering how cheap dvds are these days they could buy a pretty good library. If management don’t feel it’s worth the investment, then don’t have one and don’t have a movie theatre. I recall one other reviewer that said the dvds didn’t work in the movie theatre. When it rains for hours on end (which happened a few times) watching a movie is great way to kill time. Reading is another option but there are plenty of hours in the day to read if you decide not to do the activities.

The actual map of the resort I printed out before leaving from the Koro Sun website is not accurate. It might be a master plan map of what the Koro Sun will be like in the future but it’s misleading eg. Bures on the beach which weren’t even built!

The beach is a 5 min drive down the road. You need to go when it’s high tide and wearing reef shoes is essential or your thongs (however thongs slip off your feet easily). The water wasn’t crystal clear, quite cloudy. A suggestion is to provide guests with reef shoes and hire them out or buy your own reef shoes before you go. Management should suggest this to all guests that book at the Koro Sun. It wasn’t suggested to us.

The staff were friendly and accommodating. The food in the restaurant was ok and wine / beer / cocktails were additional. Eating times are set to: Breakfast (7-9), lunch (12-2) and dinner (7-9) and each day you pre-selected your meals.

I had the banana leaf massage which I think is overpriced at $180 FJD. They thought I had the 2hour massage booked and were going to charge me $200FJD so make sure you check your receipt upon check out properly.

We wanted to go fishing however the boat wasn’t working.

We ended up hiring a car to see more of the island. One of the activity guides suggested we visit a local village and see ‘the waterfall’. He finished work and offered to take us there himself. We met the chief who gave us permission to visit the waterfall, we gave him the kava we bought, went for a swim which was the highlight of the trip and only paid $10 FJD p/p. The resort charges $50 FJD per person which I think is pricey. We had a great afternoon and saved $80 FJD!

Buy all your water in town to avoid paying more at the resort.

On our last night, the friendly bar man invited us to stay back to drink kava. It was very hospitable of them and great talking and learning more about the culture. The staff are great.

We were lucky with our Air Pacific flights. I was expecting delays (from reading other reviews) but the only delay was an hour when leaving Nadi to fly to Savu. We then had to catch a connecting flight to SavuSavu which took 45mins to get there. Going back: Air Pacific changed the flight from SavuSavu to Labasa and we had to catch a bus which took 1.5hrs to the Labasa airport. The flight from Labasa was on schedule coming back.

Trip Advisor is the forum to share your experiences and this was our experience at the Koro Sun. I’m sure other guests will continue posting glowing reviews but I have learnt my lesson which is: don’t believe everything you read. No place is that perfect. Overall, the Koro Sun didn’t meet our expectations. And nothing can prepare you for seeing a rat in the bathroom on your holiday!!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank peppermintgirl
navale0, Owner at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, 26 June 2011
We immediately accommodated the need of this guest, by moving them to another upgraded room after they claimed to have seen the rat. We are located in the tropics, however this is the first incident of it's kind reported to us at Koro Sun. We feel that we took the appropriate action by moving the guest and have looked into the cause of how a rat could get into our system.

In explanation, we have made a commitment to eliminate the use of all toxic chemicals (I.E. – Rat Poison) on the property, to be in keeping with our effort to grow much of our food on site, using chemical free, natural, and organic principles. With this said, we would not tolerate a rat being found in a guests room, and will do everything possible to ensure this does not occur again. Our system was upgraded last month and feel that the animal may have come in while this system was open during the replacement process. We have since gone through it extensively to ensure this would not happen again.

Our room compendiums are being updated and we apologize these were not in place during you’re stay. They consistently need to be updated with more information about the property, guest experience, and surrounding area.

Regarding the Yoga at the resort, we have offered Yoga retreats, however no where on our website does it mention that we offer Yoga daily, nor do we have an instructor on site.

Please note we do have a new website, with current and updated map of the resort.

Our Tennis courts are currently being resurfaced and will be back online in July.

We strive to be an example of responsible environmental management in a world that has been environmentally abused. Most of our guests have aligned with and appreciate our effort to promote a chemical free environment.

We do have security on all night which has accommodated for any incidents thus far! The experience of Koro Sun until now has been about stepping back in time and most guests have enjoyed this disconnect from phones & TV’s. We do have DVD players and are currently enlarging our video collection. We have some decisions to make regarding TV, phone, and internet connectivity at Koro Sun. We have just purchased a dedicated 1.5 meg internet connection to accommodate our guests needs for faster internet. This is set to be on line by Mid-July and will also allow movie downloads and more. We will post this availability on our website.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Bula! Vinaka Bakalevu!

The spelling might not be accurate but the sentiment is!

Thank you for the most amazing experience. It is not too often that one finds places like this to visit and have it become home, a place where you go as a guest and leave as family!

The spirit, heart and soul of the people of Fiji is what remains with me and I miss all of them already. The genuine love, kindness and happy faces of these people is truly a gift to receive. Their smiles really make one's day!

The resort is magnificent in it's beauty with all fruit and vegetables served at meal time coming from the resort itself....so you know that you are really eating organically! The food is delicious and everything is sparkling clean.

Service is excellent and the staff so efficient. If one is looking form maple syrup and McDonald's.......in my humble opinion you are not on the right path,however, I noticed that in the fridge at the bar of Koro Sun there was a bottle of Trader Joe's organic maple syrup.....so ask and you shall receive!

Koro Sun is a place that one can really "Get Away From It All" without cell phones, the media to destroy everything and if you want to check your email.....you can......but you really don't want to........you can forget the world for awhile and feed your mind, body and soul......that is what being healthy really means.

Thank you Jack Young........you have kept the resort from being a tourist trap by allowing the flavor of Fiji to permeate and hence the "Hidden Paradise"............PLEASE keep it that way.

To the entire staff of Koro Sun I repeat Bula.......Vinaka Bakalevu and I look forward to seeing you all again in November.

Jeanne
One of the "Spice Girls"

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Scarlett019

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 8 June 2011

This was EXACTLY the vacation we hoped it would be! An escape back to a slower time and place where we could unplug and relax in gorgeous surroundings with incredibly fresh and delicious food at every meal; and the most friendly and accommodating staff you can imagine.

They greeted us with a welcoming song and coconut foot scrub, topped off with a fresh coconut to drink. DELICIOUS!! I knew I was going to like it here. Mena - the friendly bartender - offered us kava in the true Fijian tradition. Leba - the sweet lady who ran the front of house - even had the chefs prepare a special local meal for us on our last night. Everyone made us feel right at home!

We absolutely loved our Edgewater Villa ~ dangling over the sparkling blue ocean below. Every morning we would wake up and watch the colorful fish dance around from our deck. We got so attached that we started naming the zebra colored ones and the ones with aqua blue and yellow fins that we would see every day. They were sooo cute! And the snorkeling right from the beach was even better. You could see all sorts of marine life. And John, our guide, was great picking up starfish to let us touch it and pointing out all sorts of things we wouldn't have even noticed - like the lobster hiding right below my feet.

The spa experience was incredible – we did the Couples 2 hour Banana Leaf Wrap and were both in heaven. The spa is located in the natural rainforest with the sound of waterfalls as nature's soundtrack. Mariah used their own special blend of coconut oils and other natural ingredients for the massage. Just sensational!!

Our decisions were so tough each day...snorkel, kayak, bike, hike...or just sit back and do absolutely nothing. It was truly hard to leave this paradise ~ but we vowed we would certainly be back again!

Room Tip: Edgewater Villa - best view!
3 Thank Lust4Life23

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Jack Young's Koro Sun in SavuSavu Fiji is the most fantastic place!!!! If you truly want a vacation that truly has it all this is the place to go. The resort is fantastic, with every amenity you can imagine in the most beautiful location in the world. The Fijian people are amazing and anything at all that we needed was taken care of with love.
The food is outstanding and the activities they had to offer were spectacular!!! This will be an experience that will stay with me for a lifetime.

Room Tip: All the accommodations are great
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Hollywoodterri

St. George, Utah
Reviewed 31 May 2011

What an amazing time my husband and I had at Koro Sun Resort and Rain Forest Spa. The resort and location is just breathtaking! I was in awe of the resort and its activities our entire 7 nights stay! During our stay, we shared the resort with maybe five or six other couples, which I couldn't have been happier about. It almost felt as if we have the whole resort to ourselves. We were looking for some R&R, and that's exactly what we got!

We stayed in the Honeymoon Treehouse, nestled up in the trees, which gave us the seclusion and privacy we were looking for. With the two walk around decks, the views were just incredible. We spent a lot of time relaxing in our private plunge pool. The Garden Bures and Villas were also very beautiful.

Activities were a blast. The sea so clean and clear, the forest so green and lush. It was great having both sea and forest at the same location. We drank Kava, watched fire dancing, along with traditional Meke song and dance. We snorkeled and kayaked from the resort, I have never seen so many star fish and varieties of fish before. We seen the most spectacular waterfalls, shopped in town, explored bat island, took rain forest hikes, hung out on the private beach; read a book and napped, and went deep sea fishing. Deep sea fishing is a MUST. We arranged it through the resort, and so glad we did. We caught Nine Great Fish, and had a blast doing it! Don't forget to visit the rain forest spa. I had a two hour massage that was out of this world.

The food was great! It was like dining at a fine restaurant and was very romantic. The chef was even kind enough to prepare us meals with the fresh fish we caught.

The staff was incredibly friendly and very welcoming. They made sure we got the most out of our stay and provided excellent service. I did leave there with a great deal of sadness...I left feeling I was leaving behind family and friends. Thanks to all my friends at Koro Sun....

This was our first time to Fiji. It took us a long time planning and trying to find the perfect place to spend our anniversary together. I did extensive research of the islands and resorts. We were looking for seclusion, privacy, quiet, beauty of ocean and land, in a safe and friendly environment. We have been down both sides of Mexico, South America, Central America, and through the Caribbean. I am a planner and a bit of a perfectionist. With that being said and to my surprise, I have no negative feedback to offer. Our trip to Fiji's Koro Sun Resort blew all our past vacations away. It was absolutely Perfect...Our best Vacation Ever!!!

Check back...I will post photos soon!

4 Thank a4larsen
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in May 2011.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Koro Sun is a beautiful boutique resort in a picturesque location. My partner and I stayed for 7 nights in May and we had the most incredible service from the lovely staff. Everybody knew our names and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable.

I can’t really comprehend how the earlier reviewer could have received bad service or disliked the resort. I could never picture the staff being rude. Perhaps they would have been happier at Denarau Island in one of the huge commercial resorts. I’m sure there would be an abundance of maple syrup there.

This brings me to my next point. If you are looking for a resort with 10 swimming pools, 6 restaurants, 4 gift shops and you like being surrounded by thousands of other tourists, then this is not the place for you. If you are looking to experience the real Fiji with personalised service then come to Koro Sun.

We stayed in the Edgewater villa which was incredible. You get your own plunge pool and a ladder which gives you private access to the ocean. We loved sitting on the upstairs balcony and just relaxing with views of the bay.

We never had a bad meal at the resort. Everything was really fresh. The tropical fruits at breakfast were always nice and we particularly enjoyed the French toast and the eggs benedict. Lunch and dinner was similarly enjoyable. I especially liked the fish dishes. We always left the restaurant feeling very full and satisfied. Great cocktails too!

The resort offers daily activities. We did the dolphin trip and saw about 50 dolphins and snorkelled in the bay which was equally as impressive. Soft corals everywhere you looked. We also kayaked to Bat Island which was definitely worthwhile. I should mention that we merely asked a staff member how to get to Bat Island to which he promptly responded “I’ll take you” and guided us personally. So helpful! My partner also played barefoot soccer with the staff one afternoon which was fun.

While the activities are at set times, all you need to do is ask the friendly staff and they are happy to arrange activities at a time that suits your schedule. For example we went diving with the excellent KoroSun Dive (see my separate review on this) pretty much every morning so the staff were happy to arrange afternoon activities for us even though they were scheduled for the morning.

We also got a massage and banana wrap at the spa which was really relaxing. The therapists were fantastic. The spa is right next to a small waterfall and is one of the most beautiful, tranquil spas I have been to. Highly recommended.

Savusavu requires a 1 hour domestic flight from Nadi. We flew Pacific Sun and I must warn travellers that this is a joke of an airline. It is hard for me to describe it without using a series of expletives. We were delayed for 3 hours flying from Nadi to Savusavu. We were delayed on the return leg for over 2 hours which meant we missed our connecting flight and had to stay another night in Nadi. To top it off they refused to cover the cost of our accommodation because we were not flying with Air Pacific on the international leg. This is despite a representative telling the front desk of Koro Sun that they would. Apparently they changed their policy 1 month ago but “have not yet passed this information on to the hotels.” I would advise people travelling with Pacific Sun to leave plenty of time to catch connecting flights because there is a very good chance your flight will be delayed. Alternatively, plan to stay a couple on nights on the mainland after Savusavu.

Despite all this drama with the airline I would still go back to Savusavu in a heartbeat. Don’t let the travelling deter you, it’s well worth it.

A local on the mainland described Savusavu as “the hidden paradise” and we definitely agree!

4 Thank ChaiLatte_1506
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in May 2011.

Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Savusavu
Namale Resort & Spa
#8 of 12 in Savusavu
Emaho Sekawa Resort
Emaho Sekawa Resort
#7 of 12 in Savusavu

Been to Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa? Share your experiences!