“Paradise!”

Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Reviewed 3 September 2012

This is the perfect place to relax for your honeymoon. The staff goes above and beyond to make sure you have a wonderful time and they are extremely friendly. Koro Sun is a very unique place with wonderful views that truly scream "Paradise"! The food was pretty good, mostly local dishes. Also their are plenty of excursions offered to the guests. When you walk in from a long flight and are greeted by such friendly people and a foot massage you know that you are in for a great experience. We were lucky enough to experience two different rooms with different views, the rainforest honeymoon bure was a great experience and edgewater bure was also amazing. We would definitely recommend Koro Sun- it is a perfect place for a Honeymoon! Very quiet and peaceful....a one of a kind honeymoon resort!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NMT78
Josaia R, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2015

Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in September 2012.

My name is Josaia Rayawa ("JR"). My wife, Margie and I are the new Co-General Managers at Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa. We find this a great opportunity for us to introduce ourselves. Margie and I joined Koro Sun Resort in 2014.

We hope to be able to encourage you to come visit Koro Sun again. We are in the throes of including 8 new floating bures/villas on the lagoon, the first of its kind in Fiji.

Do let us know if you want us to keep you in the loop on the progress. My email is jr@korosunresort.com

Reviewed 31 August 2012

If you are looking for white, sandy beaches at your doorstep, waiter service by the pool and partying to midnight or beyond, this is not the place for you. On the other hand, if you are looking for a unique experience in an intimate, friendly and quiet environment it will suit you down to the ground.
While there are negatives, e.g. maintenance of some facilities could be better and getting a cold bottle of wine on the table promptly at mealtimes (I suggest ordering something that they have ready to hand in the bar before sitting down) these are more than countered by the positives.
The staff are overwhelmingly friendly and cannot do too much for you. At the end of the week we spent there it was almost like saying goodbye to family. Likewise, most of the visitors were very friendly and because of the small numbers we met people from all around the globe while sharing the same activities.
Of all the activities offered, the highlight was the waterfall expedition. The visit to the village beforehand was an eye opener, seeing firsthand the almost subsistence farming and fishing lifestyle, yet no sign of unhappiness or despair. Followed up by a refreshing swim under a waterfall and you have a lifetime memory. Another highlight was looking out the window one morning and watching a mongoose (apparently imported by Indian migrants afraid of the harmless local snakes which are now almost non- existent as a result) stroll past.
Having since experienced the meke and lovo at the Westin Denauru,the Wednesday night meke and lovo at Koro Sun may be simpler, but better by far.
It is worth going that little bit further.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Trevor W

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Koro Sun resort was one of the most amazing experiences of a lifetime. My wife and I are seasoned travelers. The difference between one and 5 star traveling can be extreme. We have to rate our stay here as 5 star. The food was amazing fresh and unique from the presentations to the cutting edge blends . The grounds were beyond our expectations.The diving and sea life in the area I would put at the 6 star level! And the people were the salt of the earth. Friendly warm and full of the true meaning of Aloha. I would recommend this resort as one of the top places in the world you should visit! I made some friends of a lifetime and look forward to another trip to this destination.

Room Tip: The cottages over the water were amazing, but any spot on this resort would be phenomenal!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emery278

Reviewed 24 August 2012

Unfortunately, we decided to take our honeymoon at the Koro Sun resort this past June 2012. We wanted to go someplace where the weather was great, warm and SUNNY! My husband wanted adventure and I wanted to sit on a beach with a mai tie. I want to start with the positives and let people know it wasn't all bad and hopefully paint a picture for future honeymooners that may be looking for what we were looking for, but didn't get. This is a place to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. It is very low-key and unassuming. The Edge water villas where we stayed were out of this world fantastic! They were two stories and had a surround pool in the front. The rainforest that the resort was surrounded by was absolutely beautiful. The snorkeling was great too.

What happened was we were expecting a Sandals resort with great pools, lounges, beaches where they served you drinks around the clock! The Koro Sun is great for relaxation, but thats really all there is to it. There are no great pools or even really a beach to lay out on. They do have a very small beach with two large swings to lay on, but that's about it. Anytime we ordered a drink, it was as if we were putting the staff out and we constantly felt guilty about ordering a drink or even asking for anything. There were a few staff members we did love and were a delight, especially the great tour guides, but for the most part we felt like they hated us. We had a beach picnic where they packed us a picnic and drove us to another beach to have lunch. They proceeded to leave us there for 2.5 hours when we were supposed to be picked up after one hour. We had to pack everything up and walk back to the resort. There was also a meal worm in our pasta salad at the picnic. Both my husband and I got food poisoning. We came to find out that the other honeymoon couples we met got food poisoning as well.

The resort though beautiful, could really use a facelift. It does have a certain old charm to it and some people may love that about the resort. It just wasn't what we were looking for. There were no phones in the room so anytime you needed something you had to walk all the way to the front desk. There was also no room service unless you asked for your meal to be delivered the day before. We never had clean towels unless we asked for them and we also never had toiletpaper replaced unless we asked. There was also no hot water when taking a shower. It was lukewarm at best, but never hot. The luxuries we were hoping for after paying such a large amount of money for our honeymoon, were not experienced at all.

Bottom line, if you want your honeymoon to be full of excitement, adventure, lounging pools, room service, drink service, and beautiful beaches...do not go to this resort!

Room Tip: Definitely go for the Edge water villa!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mandy F

Reviewed 17 August 2012

If you into First Class Luxury resort.  This is not your type of hotel.  This is more family resort.

My travel agent suggested this hotel. It came with all inclusive package. I read many of reviews in the TripVisor also.  The resort located at  second large Fiji island Savusavu.

Friendly staffs through out the resort.  Very nice, it makes your vacation more enjoyable, feel more welcome.  Lots smile. Lots friendly greeting. Resort packed all activities for gusts every day.  Some of activities free, some of cost money. Three meals, morning and afternoon tea.  You will choice your next day meal the night before. They have oaky selections of food.  One nigh I was extra hungry, I asked for one more order of main corse, they told me no more food. :-( and, I was little disappointed resort did not offer any Fijian style local food to us when we were there. I will highly suggest the resort to offer more local style food unless twice a week.   Although its all inclusive, I will highly suggest you know what kind of drinks are included, what is not included before you order any exotic drinks, even soft drinks.   No free wifi in the resort.   The ocean view room in the resort website is not on the beach. Yes, you may have ocean view from your room. The only 5 rooms on the real beach are those EdageWater room.  Rest resort rooms are other side of road.  Resort does not have shuttle bus goes into town daily.  We took taxi cost about $16 Fiji money each way. There is local bus goes into town cost about$1.60fiji money. But, because everyone in Fiji time. It suppose goes every 2 hrs.  We never able to catch the bus. Lots family with baby or kids stay in this resort.  It did not bother us at all, beside meal time. We really enjoy the time in Fiji. Time spent in the resort.

I only giving 3 .5 stars because some of basic stuff not very up to the standards. Each day, we have to asking  for soap, shampoo and conditions.  The house keepers never leavs extra for us. being fiji resort like this people may take shower 2 or more a day. The shower room, sinks  they may not cleaning everyday.  On the beach, near the pool those cushions are dirty.

My tip. If your flight will be arrival early in the morning.  Be sure you arrange.  A Day room ahead of time,and late check out maybe, depends on your leaving time.  We arrived about 8:00 in the morning, because the room is available,  they let us checked in a day room first. Until after 3pm, they took us to our reserved room. It make much compatible for us.  We took shower and refreshed our self, started our vacation on the same day.  Most important, you on Fiji time. Everything in fijintime. Be more patient. What's the rush.... After all you are in Fiji.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Qrottyspj

Reviewed 29 July 2012

THE GOOD:

Our trip was purchased using a Groupon. It was all-inclusive (except for the alcohol). We arrived and were greeted warmly by all the staff. Never, on the entire stay, was the staff anything but kind.

Breakfast, lunch & dinner were tasty every day. The fresh papaya with breakfast every day was fabulous. We are now missing it! Just not the same here. We even stopped on the way to the resort to pick our own papaya and eat it.

There is a set time every day for meals. Beyond that, they have afternoon tea, which they offer some light cookies and tuna sandwiches. Eat up so you're not hungry until 7:00 dinner.

Staying in a rainforest is a great experience. We felt blessed for the experience.

We had 1 private dining experience for the 2 of us. It was fabulous. We were in a room by the water, where rosepetals led to our table. There were also rosepetals all over the table. It was lit by candlelight all over and was extremely romantic.

THE BAD:
Our check-in time wasn't until 2:00 pm, however our flight arrived at 8:20 am. When we got to the resort, we were allowed to check into our room, but were told that we had to pay for breakfast & lunch, as our "official" check-in time wasn't until 2:00.

This went for check-out day as well. Our flight to leave wasn't until 4:00pm that day. They told us noone was checking into our room so they told us we didn't need to check-out until we left, which we headed out about 2:45pm. We were only given free breakfast, but had to pay for lunch if we wanted it, as our "official" check-out time is 10:00am.

There are no phones in any of the rooms. We were great with this, however, whenever we had a question for the front desk, we had to trek down the hill to the front desk to ask. This was inconvenient as we had a steep walk up and down a hill for everything. Good exercise I suppose.

There are no tv's in the rooms or anywhere else. I was excited when I saw a xeroxed copy of USA Today in the main sitting area. The problem was it was 7 days old. No way to really keep up with the news unless you pay for WiFi. If you want WiFi, and brought a computer, you may only access it sitting by the front desk. Or else no service. WiFi is not free. You have to pay for it, which is expensive.

Golf is included. Good...right? The front desk apologized and said it's more like "jungle golf". Some of the holes are "repeat holes". It isn't actually a full golf-course. It literally is in the "jungle". Your balls get lost...a lot. There is no dress code (no collared shirts or golf shoes). Wear what you want. Suggestion would be drive to another area to an actual golf facility.

The gym is included. Good...right? the front desk again apologized and stated we might want to drive to town to use a "real" gym. We did visit their gym, which was literally unusable. It was the same area (probably a 10'x16' room), which also held a table for 4, all the kayak oars, life jackets & snorkeling equipment. The gym equipment consisted of free-weights, & 2 other pieces of equipment. They weren't in a location where you could really use them. Plus there was no air conditioning in this room and you are in a 100% humidity environment. I work out 4 times a week at home and decided this facility would not work.

Also, they do offer hair dryers, however, you have to rent them at the front desk for a $40 deposit. You do get it reimbursed to your account at check-out.

Our 2-bedroom bure was just like the photograph on line. We loved it, except for the 100% humidity. When the staff came in to clean the room, they would turn off the a.c. & open the windows. Every time we would come back to the room, we were sticky. It would take about an hour to get it cooled back down to where we were comfortable.

Also, we had to watch for tiny black ants. They were always in the room, even the bed. They weren't that bad, just not fun to have. Do not have any food in the room at all. We had it on the counter with the refrigerator. Not safe. It wasn't but a couple of hours that the ants found it and invaded like crazy. Same for the food we had on our deck. Do not bring food back to your room.

The beds were made beautifully every day. Great staff. Fresh flowers. Looked amazing. The beds, however, were super hard. Because of the stickyness in the air and the extremely firm mattresses, we did not sleep well any night. The pillows were good though. Always had plenty, since we had 2 beds to choose from.

Remember, the staff is on Fiji time, which means that things happen "when they happen". Noone is rushed for anything. If you have a time to be somewhere, it probably won't happen right at that time. They don't even have any clocks in the resort, so wear a watch. If you don't mind not having a set time, then you're golden.

THE UGLY:
Our groupon included 1 couple's massage in the rainforest. The on-line picture shows a couple wrapped in banana leaves, which we "assumed" to have. Prior to our massages, we were told it was a head & shoulder massage for 30 minutes in the room beside the rain forest. We were told we could pay for the upgrade

Ladies, remember this IS a rainforest. With that being said, it is 100% humid every day. There is no reason to bring make-up or anything to fix your hair. I noticed all of the women had frizzy hair. The best thing to do is wash hair & leave the conditioner in. After that, don't put any more product in your hair. It doesn't help.

Would we go again? No. There are too many other places in the world I'd like to see. I did enjoy the experience and glad to check it off my bucket list. It's probably the most "native" holiday we've had. Remember 2 words when visiting..."Bula" (hello) and "Vinaka" (thank you).

Room Tip: There's something nice about any of the rooms, whether by the water, ocean view or in the garden...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 6edith7
navale0, Owner at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Thank you for your comments about your stay with us at Koro Sun. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our staff, the rainforest setting, and your meals along with the private candle light dinner.

We take your comments made about areas you feel that did not live up to your expectations and would like an opportunity to clarify a few points made and give an update on our future plans here in paradise.

-Our Check in policy as you mention states that our official times for checking in and checking out don't allow for meals all day. We do our best and most often, to get guests into their rooms on arrival as you experienced, we can't guarantee this for all guests. Whilst we are a meals inclusive resort, if a booking is for 7 nights, this would be 9 full days, at the resort given your itinerary of arrival and departure. We feel it is fair and standard policy amongst resorts that while you are able to check in early, meals would not be included for 9 days when only paying for a 7 night package. We hope this clarifies our position as we take price in our meals inclusive packages however it is unreasonable to provide them outside of paid days in a package.

- Our Wifi is being upgraded to cover the full resort and allow our guests access in their guest rooms. Internet is very expensive for us in Fiji and we have no other option but to pay per download, therefore we have to pass this expense along to our guests. We hope to install another computer for our guests use along with a phone in the lounge in the coming months.

- We don't advertise gym facilities at the resort in any way, there are free weights around however this is not a full service gym nor was this ever promised. We don't have any intentions at this time of building gym facilities given guest feedback at this time and the variety of complimentary activities available.

- Golf: As advertised on our website "Enjoy complimentary golf clubs and a round of rainforest (pitch n’ putt) golf! Koro Sun offers a fun and challenging course to play, while enjoying the lush resort grounds and surroundings. This course is far from a PGA rated course, yet very fun none the less. The course is nine holes or played backwards, can be 18. This course is best when not taken too seriously, we can only guarantee laughs, and lost golf balls.

- We take all efforts to work towards energy efficiency and continue our pledge to the environment with turning off AC units while guests are not occupying their room. We are happy to accommodate requests when guests let us know not to turn it off during the day. This time of year it is our winter in Fiji, and most guests prefer fan cooling, while some still like AC. The choice is yours, however we do our part to turn off AC's as a standard practice when rooms are unoccupied.

-(The ugly) as mentioned above was regarding your expectation of the banana leaf body wrap for your 30 minute massage. We feel that while we use imagery to promote our signature treatment on our website but have not stated it is included. The package you had purchased did not include the banana leaf body wrap treatment and a complimentary 30 minute massage. Sorry for any confusion or disappointment this lead to but it is certainly worth the extra money!

Koro Sun is a remote and secluded 4 start Resort on a tiny island in the South Pacific and we advertise ourselves as such. We thank you for your comments, and look forward to welcoming future guests

Vinaka Vakalevu,

Merlyn Young- Owner

Reviewed 26 July 2012

My husband and I went to Koro Sun for our honeymoon. We were over the moon about our room! It was more like a condo over the water. It was more than we could ever hoped for. The resort grounds were beautiful. It was located in the rainforest with the most beautiful plants and trees you have ever seen. They have planned activities everyday. My favorite was kayaking out to bat island. The spa is located deep in the rainforest. The massage took place in a little room next to a fresh water creek. There is no music playing, just the sound of the water, it was amazing! This resort is very relaxing and easy going. Be prepared for no TV, phones, and night life. It was just me and my husband and we enjoyed every minute of each other!

Room Tip: Book the Edgewater room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Carolyn O

Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in July 2012.

Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Savusavu
Namale Resort & Spa
The Remote Resort - Fiji Islands
Emaho Sekawa Resort
Emaho Sekawa Resort
#7 of 12 in Savusavu

Been to Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa? Share your experiences!