“Thank you for a wonderful experience!!”

Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Reviewed 9 July 2013

My husband and I reserved a villa at another resort but unfortunately we were met with conditions that were not just run down but in honest they should be renting any of the villas that you can actually still get to. In an effort to still have a once in a lifetime vacation to Fiji, we walked in to the Koro Sun just hoping they had an accommodation we could afford available. We were met with friendly office staff as well as any other staff we walked by that greeted us with Bula, a smile, and willing to help us. We packed our stuff, and moved to the Koro Sun that day. Our room was clean and bug free. The air was wonderful but we didn't even need to have it on very often. The semi-outdoor rock shower was wonderful. The staff came twice a day to clean and prep our room. The food was wonderful. The drinks were well priced. The "included" activities were fun and the staff that lead them were all friendly and fun to be around. We found meeting other guests, while not prompted, was easy and we made some good friends. The banana leaf wrap at their spa was outstanding. My husband and I went fishing one day, not through the resort, and we brought the them back our catch to use if they needed. They prepared a special dish for us with our fish, which we shared with others in the dining area. They used the rest for other dishes. The owner, manager, and staff were always at hand and ready to help with any concerns while we were there. I wonderful vacation and excellent staff and location. The only "suggestions" we had were to work on the par 3 golf course they have (I think they don't even advertise it because it's not up to par) - however, my husband and I are not pro golfers and had a wonderful time on the course as is. They staff helped us find our balls and over all we had a really fun time on the course - not for a pro - but big fun for anyone who wants to practice and enjoy a unique and beautifully located course. Other memorable experiences; the local village coming to sing and dance before dinner, a traditional dinner we saw them cooking all day with banana leafs, snorkeling off the reef right of the hotel beach, sunset open fire cocktail party on the beach. I could go on. We will go back to Koro Sun if we ever make our way back to Savusavu. Also, we didn't have our kids with us (we have 3) but they children's program there was wonderful and the activities staff was great. My husband and I watched kids of various ages from multiple countries interact and become friends. Very wonderful to see. The staff also taught the children some basic history. We saw all the kids very comfortable and wanting to stay at the kids club as long as they could. They really seemed to balance fun for adults only, families, and kids (even Teens!). I would stay again in a heart beat. I'd stay again for a romantic week (which we did), bring my kids, or even my parents. I hope you enjoy as much as we did. Vinaka Koro Sun. You really turned a bad situation into a wonderful vacation we will remember always.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank melissahdwheels
Josaia R, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2015

Thank you for your kind review back in July 2013.

My name is Josaia Rayawa ("JR"). My wife, Margie and I are the new Co-General Managers at Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa. We find this a great opportunity for us to introduce ourselves. Margie and I joined Koro Sun Resort in 2014.

We hope to be able to encourage you to come visit Koro Sun again. We are in the throes of including 8 new floating bures/villas on the lagoon, the first of its kind in Fiji.

Do let us know if you want us to keep you in the loop on the progress. My email is jr@korosunresort.com

Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

One the one positive the staff are so friendly, happy and I hope they are looked after.

Dont stay in the bures. They are outdated. The general build quality is poor. At 600 a night I would expect a lot better. Its as if when it was brought in 1999 it hasnt been touched. The duvet was stained, the curtains were stained. The curtain rail fell out. The toilet didn't work. The bathroom sink was dirty. Top of the toilet was stained and on arrival smelt. One of the two rooms we had you couldnt sleep in as the strong mouldy smell was too intense. Ac remotes didnt work. Electrically is not safe. Light fittings were half hanging out and the overloading cause lights to flicker when turning on appliances. The kitchen sink wasnt cleaned and we had a single knife fork and spoon. The fridge was not clean either. And as for the meal.... not only was it cold, the potatoes werent mashed properly and the pumpkin was half cooked. Ive got no problem paying 600 a night but I expect it to be worth it.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank alan85nz
TyGoulter, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

It was a month of mixed reviews, and unfortunately this guest had an unfavorable experience. Many of our bures have more westernised modern feel to them in their construction style and some have a very Fijian feel to them. This guest stayed in the later which were constructed in 2005, not 1999 as the reviewer suggested. This is also same room many of our guests have enjoyed and written so here on trip advisor. That being said, I can not apologise enough for the poor state of the rooms cleanliness and we are very embarrassed that we allowed a guest to be checked in to the room before it had been fully prepared. We had a breakdown in communication with the housekeeper who cleaned the bure and assured our reception it would be ready for the check in. Although the beds had been made the rest of the room had not been finished for check in when reception understood it to be ready. The toilet was checked and flushed fine, the battery in the AC remote was indeed flat and replaced. The curtain rail mentioned and single light fixture that had come released from the ceiling were fixed when we checked their room on checkout the following morning. We made a refund to the guest for their experience and openly admit our operational systems failed on this day and that we failed to provide a quality stay for this guest. Our sincerest apologies.

Resort General Manager

Reviewed 2 July 2013

We stayed at Koro Sun in June 2013 and would definitely stay there again. The resort - lovely, very large and set amongst the hills and rainforest. Rooms were spacious and clean. Overall, buildings are a bit older (not run down exactly but if they didn’t do all the maintenance, it could become so). A few bugs in the rooms but that’s to be expected staying in a rainforest setting. I’d give it a 7 out of 10.

Service - The service we received was exceptional. All were genuinely friendly and we got to know the staff on a personal basis (lots of hugs and kisses when we left). Ty, the manager, has certainly created a happy culture with the staff and he met every guest upon arrival and spent a lot of time mingling and talking to guests and staff. I've stayed at other high-end resorts in Fiji and their service is below average in comparison to Koro Sun. The food was great. Cocktails excellent. Staff went out of their way to give us outstanding service and accommodated our every need. They coordinated with our conference at another resort for our travel to and from. They arranged a waterfall/village visit on request, on a day they don’t usually offer the excursion. I’d give it a 10 out of 10. Nothing was too much trouble.

The island – large and beautiful and the people were friendly and genuine. Lots to see and do. No sand on beaches, all coral and rocks.

We've been to a few places in Fiji over the past few years. Koro Sun staff and the Fijian people at Savusavu stand out from all the others as genuinely friendly.

Thanks Ty and all your wonderful staff. We'll be back next year! Cheers, Vesna & Braden Shields

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 July 2013

My husband and I recently traveled to Savusavu with another couple. We stayed at the Koro Sun Resort after reading some reviews and contacting the resort with some specific questions. It's hard to choose a resort when you live on the other side of the world!
Upon arriving, you are greeted with a welcome song and a foot bath/massage. We stayed in a 2 bedroom ocean view bure. It had two king size beds in each bedroom, a common living area with refrigerator and hot water kettle, one bathroom and another outdoor shower. The accomodations were great for chilling out a little bit between activities. We didn't spend too much time in our room. Even though previous people have complained about the bed being hard, it wasn't as bad as I had expected (especially after reading these reviews). They could be replaced soon. The resort is working on updating the villas/bures.
The staff at the resort really made the whole trip. They were very attentive and genuine in everything they did. Also, the food is top notch. Three course meals everyday and nothing repetitive. Very impressed! Great variety of drinks as well.
The activities the resort offers is something you should take advantage of, especially the kayak trip to bat island, the waterfall hike, pearl farm tour and snorkeling. If you are dive certified, you must dive with Koro Sun Dive Shop. They were extremely helpful (especially when you are a first time diver) and took us to some great dive sites! Sea turtles and hammerheads anyone? Pay the 5 Fijian dollars to go to the private sand beach down the road, it's worth it. A great beach to lie on and relax.
The beach had some beach chairs and two swinging beach beds for leisure. Yes, you do walk across the non-busy street to get there but it's literally outside your door. We were there multiple times a day. Great snorkeling at high tide.
****Bring your own snorkel gear and take advantage of all the coral and fish on the Koro Sun Beach, otherwise you have to rent.

Room Tip: The ocean view bures were closest to the beach.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 18 June 2013

My husband and I had a great vacation at Koro Sun in mid-May 2013. His review (jwg2) covers what are reasonable expectations for vacationing in the rainforest near a small town in Fiji. I’ll fill in what he left out.

My favorite part about staying at Koro Sun was that the activities are genuine, not some hokey touristy productions. The trip to a waterfall (included in our Groupon – which was an amazing deal) was really special. We stopped in town to buy dried kava as a gift to the villagers whose land the waterfall is on. There was a little ceremony at the village – traditional, not for our benefit – during which permission was requested to visit the waterfall. Afterwards, a villager (the chief’s nephew) walked us around and showed us the houses, church, and river, and told us candidly about their lives. Then he walked us to the waterfall, telling us about the farming on the surrounding land. The scenery was spectacular, as was the waterfall, and swimming under the waterfall was magical. Other activities also exceeded expectations. When the tides were not favorable for hiking the beach around Bat Island, our guide used a machete to hack a path across the island to approach the cave from the back, leading a trail of us cross-country through the rainforest (where we came out in a crystal clear creek with tiny blue fish). Because we are divers, I often find that the snorkeling at resorts is poor, with every polyp kicked off the scruffy coral. However, the snorkeling trip at Koro Sun was to a wonderful reef – the back side of what we had been diving the previous days. Other activities were also fun: the meke presentation by villagers was heartfelt and heartwarming; the Manager’s reception up at the owner’s house on the hill gave us a great view of the island and of the enormous fruit bats in flight. Ty, the Manager, surprised us when we asked how he ended up in Fiji, spinning a (true) yarn worthy of a novel (hint: it involves a circus high-wire act). In short, nothing at Koro Sun is lame.

The flipside of “not lame” is “not cushy.” Just forget the laptop – seriously, this is neither the time nor the place. As others have pointed out, the wifi is not good, so just decide to go off the grid for a bit. Bring good sport sandals or surf socks, because there are walkways that are slippery when wet, and not all have handrails. Some people have complained about paying for drinking water, but you really don’t have to. You are given two bottles of Fiji water when you check in, and you can have those bottles (or your own reusable water bottles) refilled for free from a purified water tap at the bar. We also boiled water in our room teapot and let it cool to wash our toothbrushes and have extra sterile water on hand. Anytime in the tropics you should avoid getting water in your mouth in the shower and from the tap.

As jwg2 pointed out, Ty was very accommodating when we missed our flight from Savusavu to Nadi and needed an extra night at the resort. Both Air Pacific/Pacific Sun and Koro Sun acknowledged that they each had some culpability in our missed flight and both took care of us appropriately (Ty in Savusavu and Air Pacific in Nadi). We ended up with a full day in Nadi before our international flight, which was filled with a great tour arranged by a friend of Faizal’s, the Koro Sun’s bartender. If you will have a day in Nadi, ask Faizal for Junior’s contact info. You’ll have a laid-back, memorable day with a friendly guide at a reasonable price. Another stranded couple joined us on our tour (very cute newlyweds), and we had a great time.

One last item of note: at our last meal at the hotel in Nadi we ended up being extras in a Bollywood movie, Santa and Banta. The director asked us to move to a different table so we could be in the scene, while Santa (Sikh, not Claus), ran through the restaurant. Overall, the Fiji vacation was great, and I recommend Koro Sun to vacationers who look for experiences that are not just like home when they travel.

Room Tip: We liked bure 14, which some people complain about because it is up the hill. The view was great, an...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Susan G

Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your kind review back in June 2013.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

Stayed here for three days after being in the bush for a week. Hotel looks nice but the place we stayed had continuous hot water problems and low pressure. We finally moved to a nicer place only to get locked out when the staff broke the key in the lock. Toilet leaked in that place with only a little better hot water. Place is really rundown but the staff is very friendly. Wifi is terrible unless your in the lobby or dinner area. . The beach is beautiful and they have nice excursions. For the price we paid we should have had a better experience. Had nicer accommodations in the bush.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Hawaiihd
TyGoulter, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

After this review was posted I was able to speak with the guest regarding his review as he had posted it before checking out. The guest was with a group of 30, and it appeared as though one of their booking agents suggested all would have the same room type and they would be in our Edgewater Premium Villas. In this situation it was hard to please guests who had such high expectations of rooms when the bookings themselves were for our entry level rooms, which are of course nice, but half the price of our Edgewater Bures. Although we were able to upgrade one of the groups VIP's to an edgewater (complimentary) we only had one available at the time and we were unable to accommodate the same request for an upgrade from this particular guest. The guest raised concerns about his first rooms hot water, which the maintenance team thought they fixed only to find a faulty part which has now been replaced. We agreed to relocate them to a larger two bedroom bure with air-conditioning, its own kitchen and pool, which I can assure you were far superior to their accommodation in the mission where they had stayed previously. I asked if there were any issues with the Raintree Bure we moved him to, and he said there was a small leak in a pipe behind the cistern which only leaked whilst the cistern was refilling, but it was not a problem and the rest of the room was fine. I apologized for the leaking pipe behind the cistern, which now that we are aware of it, has now been fixed. To say the resort looks nice and then refer to it as run down because of one or two minor maintenance issues that can be quickly fixed I believe was quite unfair, especially when he seemed to not have any other complaints to me in person about the room we relocated him to, but he did not elaborate on this view point other than to say he had worked in maintenance before and that as a VIP in the group he had expected a better room. We openly admit that like any other resort we have items that require maintenance from time to time and being placed on 60 acres we deal with these as quickly as humanly possible once they are reported. As with the previously disappointed guest, if issues are reported it would make for a far more enjoyable stay, rather than saying nothing and leaving poor reviews. On behalf of the owners and staff I apologize for being unable to provide a better experience for this guest.

Regards,

Resort General Manager

Reviewed 8 June 2013

The staff at the resort is absolutely outstanding. All guests are welcomed with a foot bath and message and the staff learns all guest names almost immediately, which lend an exceptionally pleasant personal touch to ones stay. All meals are included and the resort provides shuttle service to/from the airport. The cuisine at the resort is creative to say the least. The ingredients are incredibly fresh, presentation is top notch, but the preparation needs improvement. There is a daily happy hour at which all the guests gather prior to dinner and have the opportunity to socialize and become familiar with each other. The resort has a full schedule of daily activities available for guests, some require an additional fee while others are free. But, the resort needs more altenatives for rainy days. Wifi is available at an expensive charge. But, since other guest complained about the limited reception area and its instability, we did not use the service. The rainforest spa is a fantastic idea and offers an awesome message with the sounds of the waterfall in the background.

We were utterly disappointed with the travel agent’s description of accommodations at the resort and the amount of money we paid versus what we actually experienced. We found the accommodations a bit uncomfortable and less than what was previously represented. We initially booked a 2 bedroom ocean view bure. However, upon check-in we were escorted to a bure that is located on top of an extremely steep hill. Given our knee problems we could not stay in that location. Furthermore, the ocean view was actually a luscious view of greenery through which water could be seen through some tree branches. Thus, we did not consider this to be an ocean view. The hotel quickly moved us the following day to a much more accessible bure which had a much better ocean view.

We quickly realized that the bures need to be updated as they are a bit rundown. Furthermore, the mattresses are hard as a rock; thus, we could not get a comfortable sleep. Also, in one bedroom of each bure in which we stayed, the mattress had problems with ants and knats. So, one of us slept in the sitting room for the entire stay. In the second bure, the plumbing made an extremely loud noise whenever the toilet was flushed and the front door stuck severely, such that we had to either thrust our shoulder into the doors and/or kick them to get out and strongly tug them to get into the bure. Once another couple said that they had to kick their front door to get out of their bure, we realized that maintenance of the bures was an issue.

Last, we unfortunately had an incident in the rainforest spa wherein one of us fell through the floor just outside the entrance to the message gazebo. One leg was stuck and it took about 15 minutes for help to arrive. Assistance was hampered by the fact there was no telephone or radio for emergency calls. Apparently, we were lucky enough to find some dry rot. By this point, we were ready to leave the resort. But, still had a couple of days remaining to our stay and needed to recover from the accident at the spa. The staff was very cordial and caring with the injuries sustained. But, this goes to prove the questionable physical maintenance of the facility.

In any event, we enjoyed Fiji. The people are very friendly and the country is beautiful. But, we would not recommend this resort, as the resort is rundown and needs some serious improvements. It was definitely not worth the amount of money paid.

Room Tip: Be prepared for exremely steep hill to access ocean view bures (which do not have a true ocean view...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank 1TravelingWoman
TyGoulter, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

We are of course very disappointed ourselves that these two ladies did not enjoy their stay with us as much as many past guests. I apologise for any shortcomings we had where expectations where not met. Whilst we appreciate constructive criticism and use this to improve our resort and guest experience, I believe that there are some statements made in this review that may give an incorrect perception of the resort I would like the opportunity to clarify and refute some of the comments made.

Firstly, we have several ocean view two bedroom bures, three on the lower level and some up a short hill to the second row of bures. 'Both' offer amazing ocean views, but as the second tier are nestled amongst amazing rain trees, there are some branches, which we believe add to the experience, certainly not detract from it. The rain trees have an abundance of rainforest life including glow bugs, birds etc, something many of our guests love about these bures and often describe the experience more like a tree house. But as seen, if a guest does not enjoy that aspect of the views we can relocate them, assuming we have rooms available. Had the agent given specifics on their physical limitations we would have allocated the lower level room for them, with an unimpeded view of the water. Please note that average walking time from the clubhouse to the second level of ocean view two bedroom bures is about 3-5 minutes.

The maintenance in the resort is not an issue and the resort is certainly not run down as you will see from countless other reviews in recent times. When problems are reported or located it is fixed immediately, as was the door of their bure and the toilet when they informed us of their issues. This simply a slight swelling of the wood due to the very high amount of rain that week and a tap that was not opened enough for the water flow. Both took less than five minutes to fix.

There was no dry rot found in the decking at our spa the guest unfortunately fell through, and this was built only 12 months prior to her accident. The solid pine wood sustained a clean break due to the right amount of pressure being applied at the right point and was the first of it's kind. As the guest mentioned there was a delay in response as the spa therapists forgot to take their UHF radio with them to the spa and left it on the charger. We are profoundly apologetic and have since changed our procedures for the staff to check in via radio as they arrive at the spa to commence their treatment ensuring this never happens again.

In regard to the insect issue, this unfortunately was not mentioned to our staff or myself until second to last night of their stay. The room was checked, cleaned again, and a fly net was provided for the guests immediately. We are in the tropics so definitely accept their are insects here and often can be attracted to the lights, but refute the statement that the 'mattresses' have gnats or ants. Unfortunately it is difficult to please every guest with the firmness of a mattress, as some like them softer or firmer than others. Ours are firm, but I can assure all readers they are 'not' as hard as rocks with the majority of our guests happy with the firmness.

Had we known of the guests issues earlier, I am sure their stay would have been more enjoyable. I am glad that the reflection of our amazing staff was still evident in their review of our resort, and hope that despite the issues they did have, that the memories of Fiji are positive ones.

Regards,

Ty Goulter

Also consider these accommodations in or near Savusavu
Namale Resort & Spa
The Remote Resort - Fiji Islands
Emaho Sekawa Resort
Emaho Sekawa Resort
#7 of 12 in Savusavu

Been to Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa? Share your experiences!