“Good time and decent resort with a few drawbacks”

Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Koro Sun Resort:
If you’re looking for a resort which is laid back, more traditional, and gives a more authentic feel to it, then the Koro Sun would be a good match. If you’re looking for a big resort where everything is at your beckon call, and you’re looking for a big party resort, then Koro Sun is not what you’re looking for.
General Manager:
I have seen a few reviews about the management not being able to help with issues people had at the resort, and overall having poor reviews about the management. From the experience that my girlfriend and I had, the manager of the resort was very friendly, and seemed very eager to assist us if we had any issues on the one occasion where he had introduced himself. With that said though, outside of that one evening, he never really approached patrons asking how their stay was throughout the day for the week we were there. The only way we knew he was the manager of the resort was because we met him at the meet and greet event. Had we not met him at that event there would have been no way that we would have known who he was.
Office Staff:
Overall the management / office staff on duty was always very nice, and seemed very helpful at all times, and very approachable if we had any issues. Nothing negative to say about the office staff.
Activities Staff / General staff:
The activities staff, and general staff is what saves this resort in my opinion. My girlfriend and I had the opportunity to go on many different excursions. This was made possible by the activities staff being very flexible with our schedules. If we had ANY questions, or needed something the staff was very responsive, and very helpful. While at the resort there were a few things that we needed the staff to assist us at our room (we had a few bees in our room, when we first arrived the safe in the room did not work properly). In both instances the staff addressed the issues, trying to do everything they could to make sure that our stay was as comfortable as possible.
Drawbacks:
This resort is currently under construction. This was a big drawback for us. We had initially booked the trip, and a week or so before going, we noticed the website was updated. It was at this moment which we saw there were new units being added. BEFORE leaving we contacted the resort directly and asked specifically if there was any construction going on. Our question was ignored, and upon arrival found out that there was construction taking place outside of our waterfront villa. This was a major let down for us. FROM WHAT WE WERE TOLD CONSTRUCTION IS GOING TO GO THROUGH THE END OF 2013. Because of this issue, there were many things which would be considered part of their “regular operations” which were not regular at all.
The construction starts at 7 AM and goes until about 5:30. My girlfriend and I were active doing activities away from our villa, so for the majority of the time, the construction noise was not too big of a deal for us.
Because of the construction, the main beach directly across the street from the main complex was closed. The resort accommodated the patrons by allowing free access (normally 5 FJD) to another beach which is about a 5 minute bike ride up the road.
Another major drawback was that many of the beaches on this island did not have vast stretches of sandy beaches. We didn’t travel to other resorts, however from what I saw on the island, much of this island did not have vast sandy beaches; so can’t really fault Koro Sun for that.
Wireless internet is available but for a fee; 10 Fijian dollars per hour. Internet is ONLY available in the common area / lounge of the resort. If you looking for internet in your room this is not an option. For me personally this was not a major issue, and the connection speed is decent.
Meals:
If you’re picky about food, and you want to eat whenever; then this resort is not for you. The resort has breakfast, lunch, and dinner scheduled at a specific time of the day. If you miss out, then you would have to wait until the next meal time. This MAY be a drawback for some, however for my girlfriend and I, the meal times for breakfast, lunch, and dinner were quite flexible and easily manageable with our schedule, so this was not an issue for us.
A big plus on the meals is that most if not all the vegetables we had were grown on site, which was really a nice, as you saw where your food was coming from, and was very fresh.
Edgewater Villas:
Overall Edgewater villa review:
We stayed in the Edgewater villas, because we got a discount. With the construction going on, we now know why we got the discount. Overall the villa was very clean, and spacious. The bed was very comfortable, and the sheets on the bed would be changed out upon request, as the resort was doing what they could to conserve water. We got new clean towels every day, and never had issues with not having enough clean towels. The room also had access to the water directly off our deck. Above we had a nice patio area in which you could sit out and look over the water. We also had a private swim area around the front of the villa. This was a very nice touch, but the water was quite cool.
Negatives on Edgewater villa:
The biggest negative on the Condo, was that the safe in the room is VERY small. It was the size of a kindle, and not larger. Besides putting in your wallet, a very small purse and your passport, not much else could fit in the safe. I had read reviews about things going missing at this resort. We did not have any issues with anything going missing during our stay at our resort.
Our particular condo had a few bees in it. During the winter we were told that it was not uncommon for bees to go indoors. After a few days of having a few bees in our room, we asked the office staff if they could spray for bees. Within 30 minutes of asking, there was someone in our villa spraying the bees, and after he had sprayed we were bee free for the remainder of the time we were there.
During our stay it had rained very heavily. When going downstairs we noticed there were MULTIPE parts of the ceiling which were leaking. Again we did not make a huge deal about this, and when asking other patrons about their Edgewater villas, and if they leaked, we got similar stories. As this resort is expanding, I am hopeful that they also would spend the time and money to properly maintain and fix their existing properties as well.
The only other negative about the villa is the walkway up to the villa was not lit that great. There were lights between the villas however when crossing the street there were no lights. We were told to look both ways before crossing, which was good, because cars drove by quite fast on the hibiscus highway…..
Negatives on activities:
The only real negative that I found on the activities were some of the kayaks and kayak paddles were well used / some were damaged to the point where on some activities, a 2 person kayaks had only one paddle per kayak, but that was with a large group.
I would hope that with the new construction going in, the resort also replaces and updates many of their outdoor equipment for everyone’s use. Fortunately my girlfriend and I were not afraid of going into the water, and we both knew how to kayak, so using one paddle was not an issue and we managed with the existing equipment.
Overall value:
With the discounted rate on the Edgewater villa, I feel the rate we paid was fair. At the full price I would think it’s on the expensive side. I understand that part of going there is to disconnect from the rest of the world, and not worry about e-mails and internet and such. However for the price paid I would think that they would offer free internet for the computer in their lobby.
The statement “you get what you pay for” holds true. On the day when we had checked out, we were able to get a day room where we were no longer in our Edgewater villa. This particular unit had multiple issues, with the water pressure and water temperature. While showing the temperature would fluctuate from just right, to ice cold, to too hot to stand under. This was within 2 minutes of the water running….. Had we had these sorts of issues with our edgewater villa, the above review would have been very different review and not as good of an experience as we had with Koro Sun.

Room Tip: From the internet you can see the various types of rooms. Really look into the different options on...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PH22779
TyGoulter, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

We are thankful for the detailed feedback. After numerous suggestions about free internet we now provide this in the main clubhouse of the resort. We apologise for the lack of service at the edgewater during the week this guest stayed as parts are not readily available to repair damaged equipment. Our internet provider is currently waiting on parts from overseas for this repair.

We do have some construction going on at the resort hence the discounts we are currently running which featured as a 50% "Construction Discount" for this guest. Our marketing for this discount is very clear so it was a surprise they were unaware of it prior to coming. I do apologise if we failed to return a call regarding this as it was certainly not our intention to not be forthcoming about this. After being made aware of the minor leaks in the edgewater bure we have made temporary repairs until we have a dryer period (hopefully next week) and will affect permanent repairs.

At Koro Sun Resort we will serve your meals almost anywhere at anytime. I am unsure why this guest was not catered for in this manner, but assure all future guests that our meals service is 100% flexible and apologise for the fact their requests were not met. Early or late meals are no issue as are specific requests, special meals, or items such as a fruit platter or condiments etc. All one need do is ask, as "Yes we Can".

As a note to future guests, if you ask for something at our resort and are told "no we cant", then ask for me by name to discuss your request.

I'm sorry to see you felt that guest issues raised on trip advisor are not solved as stated in your review? Since I commenced in February 2013 we are active in engaging guests with review forms prior to departure, as well as inquiring with guests during their stay. We are very active in resolving any maintenance or service issues that arise, if you have specific concerns about reviews or have any issues during your stay please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly. I do apologise for not being out as much as usual the week of this guests stay as I was solidly working on EOY financial statements with a project that unexpectedly came up. I am glad though that for the most part our method of featuring the Fijian staff as the face of our business did cater for their needs and gave them an enjoyable stay, as I wholeheartedly agree they are what make this resort as special as it is.

Regards,

Ty Goulter

Reviewed 21 September 2013

This is a lovely resort just minutes away from the airport and the city center.
Although we enjoyed our stay, it did feel a little overpriced at 480 usd a night.

The staff is friendly but there is a bit of over-advertisement on the website in the descriptions of both the activities and the rooms.
For example we expected more from our "Fantasy Suite Turndown Service [...] followed by a trio of decadent desserts to finish the night": this was in fact a rolled towel, shaped into a heart on the bed with some flower petals inside the shape. The trio of decadent desserts was a regular vanilla ice cream (melted because the fridge didn't work) with three tiny tarts filled with bland cream.
There was also no guide on a guided snorkeling trip, average food vs gourmet advertised, rainforest "trekking" had to be stopped halfway because the guide didn't know the way. In the room, towels were dirty and not replaced consistently, I could go on but you get the idea.

There is a good range of activities and things to do in the resort and around and as mentioned above the staff is very nice and tries to help when possible.

All in all this is a nice 3 star resort. It would be 4 if its rough edges were ironed out.

Room Tip: We liked the edgewater villa. Plenty of space. However you can't really swim right out of them.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnilD568

We are disappointed with this review of our resort, especially considering that other guests stayed in the same week with such positive reviews. Of course expectations are different with every guest, as is their level of satisfaction with the same service.
It is disappointing that again this guest did not raise any concerns whilst here at the resort so that we could attend to any issue they had. As we have stated many times here, and we tell every guest, "Please" let us know of any issue no matter how small, so we cant fix it or do our best to make up for it if it cant be changed. Our motto is "Yes we can". We want every guest to have a perfect stay and everyone's definition of perfect is different, so let us know what your is and we will do every thing we can to make it happen.

In regard to the two instances for our activities, We have guided snorkel trips scheduled 2-3 times a week and all of these have guides. If they went snorkelling at other times (as snorkel equipment is provided free by the resort) then a guide may not have been available unless specifically booked. The rain forest trek again is scheduled once a week and is taken by one of our guides, guests are welcome to head out on foot on their own as well. On this specific day we were catering for a few activities at once, and yes the wrong team member was allocated for this activity and he became a little confused on the paths so rather than get lost he returned to the resort early. We apologise for failing the guests on this occasion, as the appropriate guide should have been available and the replacement was not as knowledgeable about this specific activity.

We apologise for not giving the best stay for this guest, however we stand behind our product and staff as excellent value for money and that our marketing is an accurate reflection of what we provide. Something I believe that is reflected in many other reviews in recent months. If there are specific concerns or questions regarding our website, and information please don't hesitate to contact us: marketing@korosunresort.com

Regards,

Ty Goulter
Resort General Manager

Reviewed 19 September 2013

The people that work at the Koro Sun are the best. They are so nice and over the top with their excellent service. This is a 4 star resort where most of the rooms are located across the street from the beach. They are adding villas right on the water (should be open in the next couple of months) and these will be amazing. Our 2 bedroom Bure was in the rainforest. Very lovely, however, I would recommend staying along the water if available/possible. The food was excellent. We especially enjoyed the many daytime excursions offered, particularly the trip to the Fijian village and waterfall. The spa at this resort is AMAZING. The setting is high above the property in a tropical rainforest. No music, just waterfalls and birds. Excellent banana leaf wrap massage!! Very nice.

Room Tip: Try to stay in a Bure near the ocean.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Josaia R, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2015

Happy New Year (2015) From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your kind review back in September 2013.

My name is Josaia Rayawa ("JR"). My wife, Margie and I are the new Co-General Managers at Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa. We find this a great opportunity for us to introduce ourselves. Margie and I joined Koro Sun Resort in 2014.

We hope to be able to encourage you to come visit Koro Sun again. We are in the throes of including 8 new floating bures/villas on the lagoon, the first of its kind in Fiji.

Do let us know if you want us to keep you in the loop on the progress. My email is jr@korosunresort.com

Reviewed 24 July 2013

This was the best holiday. You could do a lot or do nothing. The best bit about the holiday was my son ( who is 12) was entertained the whole time, the only time I saw him was at breakfast lunch and dinner. When we first got there he buddied up with one of the activities people and what I didn't realize was that he was basically there to entertain my son the whole time we were there. A big 20 out of 10 for Nathan who did everything from snorkelling, fishing, kyaking, bush walking, spear fishing, bike riding, Vollley Ball, wandering around Bat Island, water slide the list goes on. At 3pm everyday everyone gets together to play volley ball where you get the chance to meet other kids. We meet people from San Diego and California, during the Volley Ball time.The staff are more than willing to help and do anything for you. The Fijian people are such beautiful people. At this resort food was included in your stay. Unfortunately it was just ok. It wasn't bad but it wasn't over the top either. Each night or at breakfast you choose your lunch dinner items and hand it to the staff, One day there was nothing on the dinner menu my son liked so we asked if he could have some grilled salmon instead, Not a problem. Salmon was served up. If there is something you dont like on the menu that staff are more than helpful to get something else for you. We also took a visit to the local school where we brought along some pens pencils colouring books which was handed to the Principal at the end of the visit. Happy Hour at the bar was from 4-7. There was nothing better than having a Pina Colada with some finger food just before dinner. We hired a car and drove into town a couple of times just to stock up on some nibbles, Not a lot to do or see in town, just couldn't wait to get back to the resort. There is a Dive shop right across the road from the Resort Koro Sun Dive which is where my son did his discover scuba dive. First time diving, Did a short written exam then a dive at the resorts pool, then two days later went for an ocean dive was the best experience ever for him. The location is spectacular the staff are absolutely wonderful can not wait to come back. Once again Nathan thankyou for the best holiday my son in his words has ever had.

Room Tip: We stayed in an ocean view 2 bedroom bure, If you have trouble walking or are elderly there is a ver...
3  Thank Jo H

Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband and I spent 7 nights at Koro Sun. The staff welcomed us by serenading us with a song, giving us the freshest fruit smoothie I've ever had, and we were checked in while getting a foot rub with coconut oil. This was particularly amazing after traveling for 14 hours.

We had an ocean view bure, which the name is a little deceiving. Can you SEE the ocean? Yes...once you look past the golf green, the coconut trees, the street, and the construction. The room was romantically decorated. The cleaning staff comes by the room twice a day: once in the morning to clean up, and once in the evening to set up your mosquito net. Yes, the bugs are plentiful here, but not in an obvious way. I was mercilessly attacked during my first 2 days, but it got better after that. We occasionally had a gecko crawling up the ceiling and frogs on our front stoop, but I can honestly say that they will not bother you. And this is coming from someone who is petrified of anything that crawls/slithers/hops.

The food at the resort is plentiful. The breakfast menu is always the same (my favorite was the coconut battered french toast), but your lunch and dinner options change everyday. I would suggest branching out and trying their local food and specialties. One night we had fish that was cooked in banana leaf...amazing!

We signed up for the adventure package which included a couple's massage, waterfall trip, and salt water kayaking. We jam packed our activities the first few days, and unfortunately due to rainy weather, our activities were a little limited the last few days. In addition to the adventure package, we did some additional snorkeling, kayaking, rainforest trekking, and saw their great coconut demonstration. We upgraded our couple's massage to the week's banana wrap special which included a massage, body scrub, scalp massage, and banana wrap. Incredible! Melania and Geeta were just amazing.

There's happy hour EVERYDAY from 4-7. Most beers and cocktails are half off. Their tequila sunrise was particularly tasty. The fruit smoothies are incredible. I really appreciate that our rooms came with 2 bottles of water, and anytime you needed a refill, just bring them to the bar and they'll refill them for you.

During our trip, we realized that we've NEVER stayed anywhere for longer than 5 days for vacation, and at one point (probably on a rainy day), we were ready to go home. When the day came that we had to leave, we were really sad about it. This is a beautiful location with a wonderful staff. The experience was genuinely warm and comforting, and we hope one day to return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 121star

Reviewed 14 July 2013

We just returned from a lovely holiday at Koro Sun our parents treated our whole family to. The staff are wonderful, the managers wife Jenia is a lovely friendly lady whom we took a Pilates class with (she really knows her stuff!) and she always had time for a chat or a smile for us.

We had teenage children with us who enjoyed the water slide, pool volleyball, snorkeling, fishing, bike riding, a waterfall trek and they both completed a Discover Scuba Dive with Koro Sun Dive. They also took a trip to the local school and met the teachers and children. They took colouring books and stationery items to donate along with some cash.

As for the older generation we did a tour to the Pearl Farm, swam in the pool, snorkeled in the lagoon in front of the resort, took a Herbal Walk tour, saw a coconut demonstration and had a lovely massage in the Rainforest Spa, it is a beautiful place! The ladies who gave us our massages were wonderful!

We took a kayaking trip to Bat Island which was amazing, we had a dive with Koro Sun Dive and the resort provided a cocktail night with a bonfire on the beach one night, a Meke performance by the locals which was fantastic and even bet on a crab race!

We enjoyed the local wildlife, showering with geckos, swimming with frogs and encountered lots of mongoose on the grounds. Our family hired a car and drove into town on several occasions and enjoyed a visit to the local supermarket and various other clothing and food shops. (They even had Milo!).

I was a little disappointed with the housekeeping however. During the week we stayed here we had to ask for basic needs such as toilet paper, soap, sugar, clean cups and fresh towels. I put the laundry bag out for two days however it was never collected. There didn’t seem to be enough beach towels for the guests either. I don’t mind asking for these items however compared to service we have received in other resorts we have stayed in I found this surprising.

The food was hit and miss. Some days it was delicious, some days it was a little overcooked. The manager did say that we could ask for a variation to the menu which was good to know. Breakfast was always delicious though!

Best of all we got to spend time with our family in a relaxing location.

Room Tip: If you have any injuries or fitness issues ask to be put into a ground level room. The two bedroom...
2  Thank 658Sunseeker

Reviewed 10 July 2013

We just arrived home from a six-night stay at Koro Sun. We stayed in a Streamside Villa. We are a family of four, with two teen boys. We can not say enough about how much we loved our time at Koro Sun! The welcome and daily service are so heartfelt and warm. Staff are smiling, and do so much to please the guests. We enjoyed the complimentary and fee-based activities with Solo, Romano, Dobbs, and others who we got to know and joke with. The manager Ty makes himself very available to guests. The food was fabulous, much of it grown on property. It was so fresh, light, beautifully prepared and presented.

We met several other families, and enjoyed spending time and adventures with them. Koro Sun is small, very relaxed, clean, and genuine Fijian. No big production or formal, fancy stuff at the resort, just a wonderful place to relax, re energize and really appreciate what Fiji has to offer.

Internet is fee-based, so if you are someone who needs to be " connected" all of the time, you may want to ask about price, but for us it was great reconnecting with teens without the electronics distraction. Instead, we kayaked, went SCUBA diving, snorkeled, played volleyball, swam, got massages and got wrapped in banana leaves!

We cried when we left, and felt like we were leaving new friends. It was such an inspiring vacation, one that we will treasure forever. A great big VINAKA to everyone at Koro Sun!

Room Tip: We love the Streamside Villas or the Edgewater Villas. Construction right now on Edgewater though...

Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Savusavu
Namale Resort & Spa
The Remote Resort Fiji Islands
Emaho Sekawa Resort
Emaho Sekawa Resort
#7 of 12 in Savusavu

Been to Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa? Share your experiences!