“'No place for foodies'”

Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Reviewed 12 August 2014

To try to be fair I emailed the management privately after our recent six day night stay. There has been no response. We too requested a move from our ‘Ocean View’ bure to a villa. This was an improvement, but there were still numerous small problems with it. With the exception of the desk staff, the staff here are delightfully friendly and try to be helpful. However they are very poorly trained, and even small things such as ensuring that tables are set with the usual things, remembering orders and getting them right were ongoing issues. Meal-times became stressful and embarrassing. Some have commented favourably on the food. My advice is that if you’re at all interested in food don’t even consider Koro Sun. The staff are untrained about wine and wine service. One evening, after ordering three listed wines (all ‘unavailable’), our fourth choice was definitely ‘off’ and quite undrinkable. Wine regularly arrived after we’d finished our main course. I always asked for no ice in my drinks, to little avail. Chicken, fish, lamb and pork were all dry and over-cooked although vegetables were well presented. The roti wraps were inedible. Breakfast ‘pastries’ were soggy muffins -- every morning. Toast was often cooked on one side only. My order of ‘medium cooked’ fried eggs came as one runny and one rock-hard. The ‘fruit platter’ never varied. Not a resort we could recommend, either for accommodation or food.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Louden3
Josaia R, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Bula Vinaka Louden,

Thank you for your review and appreciate the honesty shared.

Thank you for the kind references to the Front office team. And I have to agree that not all of the staff have been duly exposed to rigorous style and demand of the bigger hotels and resorts and it is something that Margie (my wife and co-GM) and I have recognised as a priority in the area of training. Our pool of resources in Savusavu is limited and whilst we appreciate the genuineness of the casual staff to make up for areas they lack in, we recognise that up-skilling is required with certain staff and it remains a priority for the rest of the year. It is an area we are addressing with our team supervisors , specially with wine service, etc.

I have taken your comments on the bad food experiences and will bring up with our Chef and team.

I am terribly sorry about you not receiving a response from management. I am normally very quick on my responses and I will accept that you may have sent it, but I must honestly say that I didn't receive anything at all.

Perhaps if you can email me directly on jr@korosunresort.com and to also allow me to determine exactly who I am speaking with, to enable me to address our side.

I am grateful that you still submitted a review.

Tripadvisor, for us has become a quality control measure, ie apart from the Guest Comments forms we receive directly from guests. If you had submitted a Guest comments form, you can be sure we have addressed the issues. As a matter of procedure, I would respond to the guest if they left an email address on the form, but some often are unreadable, making it difficult for us to respond. And some prefer not to leave an email address which we respect.

Thank you anyway for the review and we will do everything to make the improvements on our part as we continue on.

I still believe that Koro Sun has something to offer our guests from around the world.

Warm Regards,

CO-GMs

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Overall our experience was great, the staff and their friendliness was exceptional!

We stayed in an ocean view bure and the edge water villa. The bure was great but the walk up the hill with a stroller and the very poor hot water inside the bure was our only complaint.

The villa was lovely but in some parts was in need of some maintenance. But overall a great option but the hot water was again a problem.

Overall the food was good but would of liked more seafood options other than fish and larger meat portion sizes.

If you want remoteness and a true Fijian experience then this is the place. It lacked entertainment and atmosphere at night which we liked about coral coast and port denaru reports.

Diving was amazing and koro sun dive would recommend and activities by the resort were great

Room Tip: Edge water villa or bure would be the pick
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Alexis H

Thank you so much for taking time to review us.

I agree that the July period delivered some huge challenges for us, specially with water pipe bursts and gas issues affecting the hot water. Thankfully, Albert, our Maintenance Manager and his team have gotten that under control.

You've raised a good point about the stroll up the hill - I think it was raised by three other reviews earlier. Anyone booking with us who prefers something closer, specially if you have little kids, do make that request with the travel agent or online. We do have families who are fine with it, but understandably not all do.

Good advice on the seafood options. We are going to try out some seafood options for the evenings we hold the Cultural night and the Fijian traditional food prep (lovo) or earth-oven experience. Have passed it onto our Chef.

I agree on the need for more entertainment..but we have to play this one carefully specially with those who like it as it is. The middle ground we have introduced is engaging our Three (3) piece Fijian House band entertainment every night and during the course of the week , we will on occasion, offer polynesian, or micronesian shows and the Fijian Cultural dances to open the evenings for our guests. Without trying to be like the Coral Coast or Denarau, we are looking at ensuring that our guests do enjoy their evenings, after an eventful day.

Like you've experienced, we do make sure our day activities keep those who want to get busy, very much occupied and leave those who just want to enjoy the pool side or the beach area to themselves. Just recently, we have introduced net and spear fishing with the locals at the reef twice a week. Those who enjoy abit of adventure will like this experience. For those interested in Koro Sun - book for this. It won't cost anyone extra. If you catch the fish, you can give it to the kitchen to prepare something special for you.

Thank you again for your kind review.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Good food, great service, nice dive operation! The Edgewater Bures are very nice and definitely worth the extra cost versus the garden Bures. I was expecting Fiji to be more commercialized, it's not. This island is isolated, but very nice, with friendly people.

Room Tip: Edgewater Bures have a great view. Edgewater one and two don't have as good of view as the ones...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Bula Goobreen,

Vinaka vakalevu for the great review on the food and the service. It was nice to see our Chef, Joeli back on board and I will be sure to pass on your comments about the food. I will be sure to tell Colin as well and his dive team of your kind review.

I think your description of Savusavu as 'a place lesser commercialised than you thought' is spot on . The seclusion is also the attraction for many who come from the 'bigger world' so to speak. Those who stay long enough for a holiday get a good handle of the beauty of the seclusion and leave with a wonderful appreciation. We consider ourselves lucky to be here, too.

Look forward to welcoming you back.

CO-GMs
Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa

Reviewed 8 August 2014

What amazing staff! Friendliest in the world! Ideal location. The Edgewater Bures were a delight, with our own private patio with a ladder to snorkeling at any time we chose! The staff worked well with our fish/vegetarian diets. The true Fiji and an amazing time. Hope to say bula again to all there in the future.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mel A

Bula Vinaka Mel,

Thank you for the wonderful review on both the staff and the resort. I'll be sure to pass it on to them. I am delighted to learn that the dining team worked well on the liaison with our Kitchen team regarding your special dietary requests.

Indeed, like you, we like to think that Savusavu is the real Fiji in many ways. Its the kind of place for those who want to be adventurous enough to try something they are not accustomed to.

We look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Koro Sun for 9 days (with 3 kids). First we stayed at the old garden view villas (2 bed-room). We were disappointed with it: shower didn't work properly, uphill climb with stroller not easy. But we had enough when we heard rats running in villa at night. We asked to be moved but we were offered a similar but smaller villa a few meters down. We did not like it. The only option was the 2 bed-room marina villa or continue sharing with the rats. However it came with a much higher price. The manager did not want to offer a complimentary upgrade. For our tranquility we accepted to pay more for our stay. The hotel management could have given a gesture but refused. On the bright side the marina villa was great and the kids loved it.

We were disappointed with the food quality including breakfast.
The staff are great (excluding management), excellent child and baby sitting staff. There are many activities to do including diving, snorkeling, rainforest walk, cycling, or just going to beach and swimming.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Naren P
Josaia R, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Bula Vinaka Naren,

Thank you for the review on Koro Sun Resort particularly on Bure 15. Majority of the Garden Bures during the time you were here, were occupied with the exception of the Bure 8 which you were offered as an alternative, but did not like.

For those of you who are not familiar - the Garden Bures grace the hillsides in the rainforest canopy area and these bures are often promoted at special rates. Where possible, we try and place families closer to the Main Clubhouse so they don't have stroll up the hill. But only if the Bures closer to the Clubhouse is available. It can be a challenge for some, but we have had families who don't mind the stroll. We can assist where possible with buggies, but I do have to emphasize that the resort being so spread out is a prominent feature with some, and understandably not always with others.

Naren, I understand that you had met with Ally (Operations Manager). I apologize if you felt that management was not forthcoming, but under the circumstances this was a busy period and all our Edgewater Villas were taken and the only one available was the Marina Villa which was offered to you at an exceptionally special rate, which you kindly paid the difference for.

The other Edgewater Bures are only for couples as they are not designed for the family market.

I have taken note of your experience with food quality and passed it onto our Kitchen team. I am just sorry you had not raised your concerns whilst staying with us. Our Kitchen overall, have had a fairly consistent rating with their output being great, however your point is duly noted. Any comment that will help with improving our efforts, we will take.

Even if you felt that management was not up to par from your standpoint, I do appreciate the fact that you've acknowledged the staff and I have passed on your compliments to Mereoni and the Kids Club team. Thankfully, we had great weather which enabled your family and many of the guests to enjoy the activities we have on offer.

I hope we can have another opportunity to welcome you back to Koro Sun.

Our warm regards to you and your family.

For those of you considering Koro Sun Resort, please do not hesitate to ask for me (JR) or for my wife, Margie or Ally, on arrival. We want to make sure you have an enjoyable time whilst staying with us.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was lucky enough to spend a week at Koro Sun. The grounds are spectacular - from the tranquil Rainforest Spa to the luxurious Edgewater Bures, every aspect of the property seamlessly blends the comforts of home with the beauty of a tropical paradise. The back-half of the resort is nestled into the lush hills and rainforest, while the front units offer stunning ocean views, waves lapping outside your door, and private ladders to take a dip in the crystal-clear lagoon. You can spend hours perfecting your snorkeling ... or just practice keeping your cocktail full in the infinity pool.

The true gem at Koro Sun, though, is the kind and sincere staff that will make every minute of your stay a joy. It was truly a pleasure to get to know the wonderful people who make Koro Sun what it is. And being serenaded by the local congregation on Sunday night is something I will not soon forget.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joe W

Thank you Joe W for the kind review.

No doubt the natural surroundings of Koro Sun is truly a blessing and, like many of our guests, we too, as staff of the resort feel truly blessed to be working in such an environment.

We are blessed with the genuine effort the staff put into their work and the owners & management is equally committed to continue and complete our staff training sessions/workshops as part of our responsibility to both staff and guests, alike.

I am so glad you've recognized the efforts of the local choir congregation,we invite every Sunday evenings to come share their faith in song. It really does have a genuinely positive impact on the lives of our guests as it does the staff, all the time.

Thank you and Vinaka Vakalevu.

For those of you, kind people, still considering Koro Sun Resort, please feel free to touch base with me or Margie, (my wife and co-GM) if you need any further clarification on jr@korosunresort.com

Have a great day.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed here for our honeymoon.
Positives - beautiful location in tropical savusavu. Food quality was excellent. Broad range of great activities. Very homely feel staff were very friendly and tried to get to know guests
Negatives - we were put in edgewater bure when we booked edgewater villa even though the bures didn't exist when we booked. The villas are a lot bigger and have private plunge pools. In the end we had two nights in a bure and three nights in a villa. Also there was some challenges with communication with staff mainly just around meal times and service was variable.
Overall a beautiful place to stay and we would recommend it to others just a couple of small challenges.

• Stayed: July 2014
Josaia R, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you so much for the kind review. Indeed our desire for improvements is there, always.

I am glad in a way that you have raised the issue about the bookings. It is a systems glitch that our team are working on. For some reason with an online booking, it sometimes does not recognize the "Edgewater Villa and Edgewater Bure, as being different. And sometimes, it may recognize one over the other or vice-versa.

Its not a huge problem, but for the time-being, our Reservations Supervisor, Mela emails our online bookers, directly and then just introduces herself and clarifies the booking. It is during this communication with our Reservations, the client confirms which of the two category, they have booked. It is a temporary exercise for now until the systems sorts that part out. We have found as well that it's not a bad exercise at all for Mela of our reservations to establish contact, (if for nothing else), but to personally connect with our prospective online clients.

Staff liaison and training will remain a priority to help our team coordinate better for the benefit of our guests and for ourselves as a team.

Thank you again for the feedback. For those thinking of coming to Koro Sun Resort, please feel free to ask for Margie , Ally (Operations Manager) or myself on arrival. We look forward to hearing from you.

Co-GMs

Also consider these accommodations in or near Savusavu
Namale Resort & Spa
The Remote Resort - Fiji Islands
Emaho Sekawa Resort
Emaho Sekawa Resort
#6 of 12 in Savusavu

Been to Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa? Share your experiences!