“A little bit of Paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lomalagi Resort ~ Fiji

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Savusavu
Lomalagi Resort ~ Fiji
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Savusavu
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“A little bit of Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

We spent a very happy week at the gorgeous Lomalagi Resort in Fiji. We felt welcomed and treasured from the moment that Collin and her adorable young dog Bandit gave us our first tour of the still working coconut plantation. The resort is a combination of beautiful hills, coconut trees, and wooden walkways that meander through the property and connect the major buildings. The pool was sparkling clean and most inviting.You can hike down to the beaches and walk along the shore where you may meet up with the smiling and laughing local ladies from the nearby village. The views are exceptional, the bay is practically uninhabited, so it is a little bit like being alone in Paradise. Our villa was enormous and very private, the bathroom refreshingly cool with a giant shower area. There was a full kitchen for snacks or meal preparations. The views from the terrace are spectacular and if you are lucky, you may see one of the local fishermen standing in the bay catching fish with a trawling net. We watched the rainbows and waited for the sunsets over the bay with a feeling of awed anticipation.. Nobody on the bay... no motorboats...no noise, no people. The water is crystal clear and the corals incredibly colorful. You can believe that you have come to a part of the world that is totally uncorrupted by civilization. We swam in the lovely warm water and visited the dolphins with Sam who is so knowledgeable and comfortable with the sea that he could be a sea creature himself. We snorkeled and could have gone diving, but as everything is so easily visible, there was no need to go deep. My husband who is a serious diver was able to make several trips, arranged by Collin at a nearby dive shop where there were a lot more tourists. We took the kayak for a trip along the coast past many ancient mangroves. It was amazing to be the only people on the water as far as the eye could see. Marvelous really!
Each morning, we were greeted by a member of the staff who brought a delicious hot breakfast down to our villa. Bandit often came to wait outside our door to see if anyone was interested in going for a walk.
Meals were excellent, the menu is always different, the cook is a treasure. We had warm coconut banana bread and incredible cold pineapple gazpacho. My husband is a true gourmet who has traveled around the world and tasted some of the best food in the best restaurants. He could not wait for meals. We enjoyed having drinks with Collin and Sam each evening and then the delicious dinner that was set up for us in the lovely dining room overlooking the pool. The service was excellent and the gracious staff always smiling and happy to help. Sam wove us a basket and carved up a fresh coconut for me.
Collin brought me into town where I had a very enjoyable afternoon wandering among the small native shops. I bought many local handcrafts from Collin's own office/shop... she has the best collection of handmade items in town, from colorful handmade shirts and sarongs, to beautiful baroque Savusavu pearls.
This was a truly amazing vacation for us. Collin did everything in her power to make sure that we had all we needed and asked for. We love being away from the crowds, and in this respect, Lomalagi really is a little bit of Paradise. If you like your holidays gorgeous and personal, this is the place to go.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Bea640

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

My husband and I went to Fiji for the first time in late October and stayed at Lomalagi. What a beautiful place! Wow! We were well informed by Collin (the owner) of so many things to do, so we picked many things and all arrangements were made by Collin. They were all topnotch--such as a snorkling trip, seeing the dolphins, visiting the school where the students sang several songs to us, visiting the famous pearl farm. She even made more arrangements for us after we got there like arranging for a trip into town at Nadi for an afternoon of fun and dinner before our flight took off for the states.
Oh did I mention the food....it was outstanding and came home with many recipes that they made for us. The staff was wonderful and friendly and by the end of our stay, we counted them as friends. We hope to return some day. Thank you Collin for an outstanding time!
Barbara & Jim Church

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

Lomalagi was unfortunately the low point of our trip to Fiji.

I don't want to be overly negative so let me start with what we liked about this place.

The location is definitely incredible. The rooms overlook Netewa Bay which is nothing short of breathtaking. For me, I was mostly amazed by the fact that there is barely anyone on this huge bay. Looking out over the bay at night you might see one or two lights over a massive area, and when you consider how beautiful the location is, it's surprising there isn't more development here. The people who work at Lomalagi all come from a local village, and they were quite nice, though clearly unfamiliar with what might be expected at a resort in this price range.

Here's where things start to go downhill. Upon our arrival we learned that we were the only guests, and this started setting off alarm bells right away. It's clear that Lomalagi has not been well cared for in the harsh tropical environment. The green decking that runs throughout the resort is in a varied state of disrepair, much of it rotten and I was worried I might fall through. In fact, the decking in some sections look as if someone did fall through (that's the photo I've included).

The accommodations are large, mostly clean, but in poor shape. The bathroom looks like it was built in a rush, some closet doors couldn't be opened & closed, and there were mud wasp nests on the side of the building which meant we were visited by mud wasps a bit more than we would have liked.

The grounds were pretty nice, but the pool pump was broken which meant the pool was green with algae and the glorious waterfall in the photos was non-operational. Bummer.

The food was varied. The dinners were pretty good, but the breakfast and lunch was pretty bad. The breakfast sausage tasted like it had been stored in a freezer for a very long time, and our lunch salad was prepared with an unidentifiable lump of cream on top. Ick.

The large generator that powers the resort is leaking diesel fuel into the surrounding area. Very sad.

Now all of this would have been reasonable if we were paying for low end accommodation, but even with a 'last minute' discount, we were paying more than any of the other mid ranged resort charged.

Within a few hours of being at the resort, we realized that the quality was far less than what we expected for the price. I spoke to the owner about this and she was definitely not of the 'customer is always right' mindset. Instead, she spent most of her energy on telling me why I was wrong. In her defense, she tried, perhaps to the best of her ability, to improve the experience by offering to have our dinner served in our room by candlelight. That was about all she could do because of the overall poor shape of the resort.

We ended up leaving after the 2nd of 5 planned nights. It wasn't easy to escape because the closest town is 30 minutes by cab, which meant we spent most of one day looking for different accommodation, went back to Lomalagi to get our things, and then back to town again. We were worried that we were maybe out of touch on the situation at Lomalagi, but after chatting to several of the locals in Savusavu, we learned that our experience is unfortunately common for visitors to this resort.

The owner did not initially give me a refund, but eventually relented by refunding 2 of the 3 nights we didn't stay there after I went through all the hoops of contacting the credit card company. At least I got something back, but it wasn't easy. :(

If you decided to go here, I would strongly suggest that you do not pay in advance. Go check it out before your Taxi leaves and have a backup plan, otherwise you'll be stuck there.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Dognaught
SimbaFiji, Owner at Lomalagi Resort ~ Fiji, responded to this review, 15 February 2013
This is a very good example of someone threatening to write a bad review if they don’t get “X”. In this case, “X” was a refund for 3 nights instead of two. I’ll try to cover his points in the same order.

Being the only guests happens from time to time ~ we are very small. Couples are normally delighted because they get their own “private resort” and leave feeling like part of the family. Tears on departure are not unusual!

Yes, there are places (unused = low priority) where the decking has yet to be replaced on the stairs. The tropical climate is very hard on maintenance, which never ends. We recently redid a huge section of stairs and walkway and have it as an ongoing process. The section he showed in the photo is blocked off so no one accidentally goes near. He didn’t want to hear any of that ~ it was all terrible, full stop.

He did not mention the mud wasps or closet doors sticking to anyone ~ both easily solved if only someone is advised. I apologized about the pool pump when they arrived ~ we were waiting for parts, over which there’s no control.

Read any other review if you REALLY want to know about our food! People rave; want to take the chef home with them; frequently ask for recipes. All menus are customized to guests’ preferences based on what they tell me they like or don’t like. The girlfriend had some specific food requests as I recall, including some they did NOT tell me about. Their first evening here we reviewed the entire menu and made some changes to accommodate them. The only “lump” in her Chef’s Salad would have been ½ a hard boiled egg, with salad dressing on top.

The generators are NOT leaking! Waste oil is discarded on a small barren slope near the generator bunker; perhaps that’s what he saw.

On their 3rd day here, they took a taxi into town and said they would have lunch there. Sometime after 5pm, they came back, said they were leaving; packed up and left. He wanted a refund for 3 nights. Our published policy is very clear on “no refunds for early departure” but I told him I would give them a refund because they were so unhappy. This has never happened to us before. I was not willing to give a 3 night refund because they had the villa for that entire day; the staff was here for them and dinner preparations had already begun. He did NOT have to get his credit card company involved. I explained to him that the bank here required me to write a letter explaining why I was giving a refund on his credit card. That took some time. I had an email from his credit card company in the middle of that and explained what was happening and why. I never heard from them again.

I know exactly which “local” he talked to in Savusavu about Lomalagi. Someone who hasn’t been here for years but who has a definite “issue” with me and several of the other resort operators. Ironically, the place they ended up staying in Savusavu is generally considered a dump!

I was very unhappy that THEY were unhappy. I’ve never had guests leave before their scheduled departure so it was a very unsettling experience.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

I contacted Colin - I can't even remember when it was, but from the first email she was back. Nothing was too difficult and everytime I had a question there was an answer within moments.

We had horrible issues with our airline (change to flight schedules) which had us spending 6 hours in Nadi, not a proble, Colin arranged for us to be picked up and taken into town whilst our luggage was watched.

We wanted to experience resort with culture and that is what we got. Going into see the villiage where most of the workers were from was an experience that I will never forgot, as was going to the school where the students sang us a song. Touched my heart.

We saw spinner dolphines, drank yummy cocktails, went snorkerling, on a bilibili, into town, lazed by the beautiful pool, had a candellit dinner on our balacony, went for numerous amounts of walks. It was magical and amazing.

The food, now I would go back there just for the cooking. I am a total fuss pot and very picky (I felt bad when I sent through my requests with what I eat and don't eat) and I didn't have one bad meal there. Everything was devine, we did stuff the menu up as we had gone fishing previously and came back with some of our catch which meant that it was a total re-write of the menu. Breakfast was served every morning to our bura and everymorning it was yumo! I had almsot every day a 1/2 serve of rotti barito with a side of crispy (and it was crispy!) baccon with a juice, this would have been enough to keep me going until tea, but then there was a two course lunch and then a 4 course dinner! Those desserts..........just yum.

Colin also not only communicated with me about our accomdation at the Lomalagi, but she also spoke to our captain of the boat we chartered when we couldn't get in touch with him. Also having Bandit there made missing my little furbaby so much easier.

I have been to Fiji before, and yes it was beautiful but nothing like what SavuSavu is like.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Coolum Beach, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

Bula - ... when pristine nature, total privacy, peace & quiet and clear blue ocean rate high on your priority list for your ideal holiday on heavenly Fiji, then Lomalagi will be THE best dream holiday you could possibly wish for: the very isolated and absolutely private resort is located along the Netawa Bay facing slopes of a large coconut plantation, enhanced by tropical landscaping. We had opted for a fully self-catered holiday, which suited our idea of a home in heaven and in complete privacy - away from home. The fully equipped kitchen allowed us to indulge in all possible cooking endeavors - and twice per week Collin, the owner of the resort, took us into town, Savusavu, where we found all kinds of the freshest foods you could think of - and more ... and at less than half the price we were used to back in Oz - but at a far superior quality than what you would find at Coles or Woolworths: the sweetest, little bananas, super sweet small pineapples, extra-juicy passion fruit, all kinds of vegetables, sea foods etc ...
We did not have to buy coconuts, as we were invited to help ourselves to our favourite diet addition as much as we wanted. Sam, the Lomalagi boat captain and bar manager offered us regularly fresh coconuts - but we worked out the technique of getting a straw into the hard shell of the nut ... Sam also took us to bilibili rides, snorkel and diving trips - and, an experience not to be missed under any circumstances, a visit to the local Netawa Bay spinner dolphins. There are two large pods living in the sheltered lower end of the bay, very near to the resort; when we visited them, there were 30 - 40 dolphins circulating our boat, jumping up in the air and performing the most impressive acrobatic pirouettes in mid air - since then we know, why they are called spinner dolphins ...
Even in hindsight, we find it hard to say, what we loved most: the breathtakingly beautiful views from our deck, the gloriously golden sunsets, the clarity of the starry sky at night, the clear blue waters, the overwhelming visit to the dolphins - ahh, and of course the visit to the very friendly locals in the nearby village and school ... too much to pack all into one review ...
Collin told us, we broke the record as longest staying visitors at her lovely resort (1 full month), but we felt, it was nowhere near long enough - we would have loved to stay much longer ... but then again: there is always the option to come back - and that we sure will !!

Room Tip: ALL of the six villas have fantastic views over Natewa Bay, absolute privacy and an identically gene...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yurgen B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

Ten months ago i contacted Collin McKenny-the resort owner,making enquiries about booking a wedding at lomalagi,along with a weeks accommodation for a group of 13. From the word go,Collin was prompt at responding to any questions asked and if she didn't know something,she'd look into it and get back to you fast.

We experienced endless issues with the airline we flew with and Collin went out of her way to help us sort out our flight dramas-where else or who else does that?

Furthering on to the resort. Both Collin and her staff made us feel very welcome and assisted us in any way they could. I have never had service as good as what i received at lomalagi. On top of great service,there was a great cook. Kris. Kris cooked amazing meals and catered to everyone's needs-everyone was well fed and never went starving.

The villas were perfect,everything you needed,large open space with a view and deck to die for,right down to bubble bath and rubber duckies. The rooms were pleasantly decorated with fresh flowers and various knick knacks.

On to the wedding. We chose a sunset ceremony and held it on Collin private decking as the scenery was breath taking and what we wanted. The floral arch was beautifully created as was the bouquet and crowns/garlands. The staff selected the colours of flowers i wanted and done a marvelous job.
The service was intimate and well put together,overall it was perfect. We had a lovo feast after the ceremony.the food was gorgeous.

The entire stay was unreal and will always remain a fond memory.
Collin and her staff are truly an amazing group of people. I would strongly recommend lomalagi for both a holiday destination as well as a wedding venue.

• Stayed June 2012
Nokomis, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

Lomalagi means Heaven in Fijian. So it was not surprising to find this isolated and totally private resort perched high above the least visited and most underrated body of water in Fiji, Natewa Bay. The resort itself is large and meticulously landscaped. The fact that it is a working copra plantation for the local village only adds to the allure. The original layout of the grounds is amazing. The use of fossilized coral that was removed from the bottom of the bay during a dredging operation is beautiful, and the largest piece is set in a quiet hedged in area that is perfect for a quiet meditation. The salt water pool was like swimming in a water softener and was hard to get out of.

But I was there to kayak Natewa Bay. When I first arrived, the kayak Collin (the owner) had on hand didn't fit well, so the next morning, she had a new one for me. The groundskeeper went all the way to town to borrow a small single person boat for me. The kayaking that day was some of the best I have ever done. Collin knew what I wanted to do, and she went out of her way to make sure I could do it. The very definition of hospitality. But that hospitality doesn't end with Collin. The entire staff was helpful, warm and seemed to genuinely want me to have a good time.

Did I mention the view? I couldn't stop taking pictures.

Though the resort is perfectly isolated, it is easy to reach. It's a 40 minute transfer (included) from Savusavu, but worlds away from any real world stress. If you land in Nadi in the early morning, you can catch a local flight to Savusavu and Collin will arrange to have you picked up and whisked away to Heaven by liunch.

In an otherwise perfect stay there was one major flaw, however. It was too short!

Lomalagi may be for lovers, but this single woman traveling solo had a wonderful time and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo