We stayed at Moody's Namena for a magical six days, and it was perfect and more.
We wandered the pristine beaches feeling the sand between our toes, read novels in hammocks all afternoon, snorkeled in warm waters among thousands of brightly coloured fish a few feet from shore, counted over 30 giant clams 20 feet off the dock, went diving, explored the island in our kayaks, laughed at the goofy blue-footed boobies falling out of trees, listened to Tom's stories over delicious dinners, drank kava with Nigel, George, Charlie, John, Kiri, Maki, Keli and did whatever we felt like for six days. Tom, Joan, Lil and the staff keep that delicate balance between taking really really good care of you, and yet not intruding.
Namena is not for everyone. If you are freaked out by geckos and need a daily dose of TV, or room service, this is not for you (although you can power up a laptop in the main lodge and I have to admit that my GSM-based Crackberry and my mobile had great reception - but I only peeked a few times - dont tell anyone!!).
The bures have great views over the ocean, and feel safe from Tsunamis perched up on the bluff. Each bure is very private, clean, spacious, with two bathrooms, walk in closet for each person, and wraparound sun decks. They make your room up twice a day and put fresh flowers on your bed. Really nice touch. The food at Namena was high quality, with fruit and other delicious ingredients - in fact our meals at Namena were far better than what we had at our so-called luxury resort at Denaru.
If you like nature, simple pleasures and getting away from it all, this is paradise. As other reviewers have noted, part of the magic is due to Namena hosts, Joan and Tom Moody, and Joan's sister Lil. We too shed a tear when leaving the island and hope to come back again soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Namena Island Resort is a privately owned Fiji island resort. 6 Bure's (cottages) strategically located to maximize ocean views and enjoy the ocean breezes. Maximum guest capacity 12 people. 3 gorgeous private beaches. Namena is rated the "Best Dive Destination In Fiji" and ranked as one of the "Top 10 Dive Destinations in the World". Namena Island is surrounded by a reef designated as a marine reserve with over 22 world famous dive sites all within a 10 minute boat ride from our boat jetty. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Moody`s Namena Hotel Savusavu
- Moodys Namena Hotel
- Moodys Namena Resort All Inclusive
- Namena Island Dive Resort Fiji/Savusavu