“Return visit”

Namale Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I once again returned to this truly amazing vacation location and I found that the facilities are continuing their renovations which only enhanced my previous enjoyments.
What I did find out this visit was that they have, in labasa, is a great dentist at very reasonable prices---would recommend him to anyone.
Back to the resort, the "main Bure" menu has been greatly improved and the presentation of the food is very pleasing to the eye.
My previous comments as to the quality of the facilities available to the guest remain at a high level--their golf course has been greatly improved and is now a pleasure to play.
Go to NAMALE if you want a real relaxing and enjoyable vacation

Room Tip: Ask for the Ana Bure.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank noggasak
NamaleManager, Guest Relations Manager at Namale Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Bula Vinaka and thank you for your review.

We love the fact that you were able to relive and better your Namale experience. We take great joy in welcoming our returnees back home so thank you so much for making the pilgrimage to Namale. We look forward to an opportunity to look after you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

This place was and is a dream. I didn't do very much research on Fiji itself, just the resort, so when we arrived I really didn't know what to expect. After arriving at the SavuSavu Airport (an shed of sorts) I was a little nervous. That was gone the second we drove onto the property. The landscape is beautiful in itself, but I couldn't have expected EVERYONE that worked there to be so friendly! We were welcomed with flowers and a native fijian welcome song, and shown to our Bures. We stayed in Nanise, which was FANTASTIC!!! Food was exceptional! Anything you wanted, including drinks, movies, music, games, activities, spa treatments, they made happen. If you are going as a couple, they would set up a secret dinner somewhere on the resort only they would know, and would take you there. It is magical. They would also set up dinner where ever you wanted in the resort... it didn't matter where! They have a short hike to a waterfall, and if you want they would set a picnic up for you. I would go here over and over if I could. If you watch the video on the website, it is absolutely 100% accurate. It is paradise. I don't think I would ever be ready to leave, but like all good things, they have to come to an end. I will recommend this place over and over again. I hope to go back again someday.

Room Tip: Nanise is on a 50 foot rock and has its own dip pool with an unbelievable view of the sunset. If yo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bridget S

Bula Vinaka and thank you for your review.

Our team specializes in turning dreams into reality! Thank you for allowing us to weave magic into the experience that you had when you were on property. Nanise is such an amazing bure and had amazing vistas that can take your breath away. Thank you being wonderful ambassadors for Namale. We hope that there is another opportunity in the not too distant future to look after you both again.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

We have been reading Tripadvisor for three or four years and have visited seven or eight resorts during that period that could have been rated five stars. However, not one of those was such a superlative experience that we were tempted to write a review. Namale Resort does rise to the level that deserves a review.

Everything was as stated in prior reviews - people, food, lodging. There is no need to expand other than to confirm everything is excellent.

One thing that deserves extra mention is the golf course - I didn't expect such an enjoyable experience and had minimum expectations. The greens and traps do leave something to be desired, but the beauty and fun of having this course all to oneself can't be overstated. If you are even an occasional golfer, make time for at lease one round.

We had a few special requests during our stay that were not among their published activities. All were handled with a smile and at no charge.

We stayed in Bula House and it was extraordinary. However, it was just more than we needed to have an enjoyable stay. While you can't go wrong with the villas, I would probably suggest that a Honeymoon Bure would more than satisfy most people's needs.

Location gets only four stars because Namale lacks a swimmable beach. Walking on the reef at low tide almost makes up for this, but not quite

You can spend more money in Fiji, but we would be surprised if you can find a better experience.

Bula Vinaka and thank you for your review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your time at Namale and that you felt taken cared of and enjoyed the overall experience. We are also delighted that you managed to play around of golf and that the course proved to be delight to you. Thank you so much for choosing Namale. Fiji offers many choices. The fact that you chose Namale means a lot to the Namale family.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Let me first clarify my comments by saying we are avid luxury travelers who have been right around the world and stayed in some of the best hotels. This place is one of the best we have ever been to and as a 6 time visitor to Fiji this is certainly the best by far that we have stayed at on these Pacific Islands, and we have stayed at a luxury exclusive island before. Namale has a big reputation to live up to, but it met and went beyond our expectations, which is rare these days. From the moment they pick you up at Savu Savu airport their friendly driver Billie will make you feel welcome to the island. .
After a short drive to the resort you go through the Namale gates into a tropical paradise which is immaculately maintained. You are driven up to the reception area where a dozen or more staff are there to welcome you with one of their traditional songs.
The check in is sitting on the covered verandah with fresh juice and friendly staff member explaining the resort facilities and offering a personal guided tour. We had a slight hiccup with the particular bure we had booked, due to a double booking on that room. Even though there were perfectly good similar bures the manager stepped in and assured us she would fix the situation to our satisfaction, which turned out to be a major understatement. I have been to plenty of hotels and resorts where the management will then try to talk you around to similar rooms and offer you some drinks vouchers or something similar, Nowdra, the manager, handled the situation above and beyond anything I had seen before and upgraded our entire stay to two amazing villas. This was well beyond what we expected and took the holiday for our 20th wedding anniversary to a whole new level.
About the resort, well it is a lush paradise set in an absolute private and tranquil environment. With only a maximum of 38 guests and up to 140 staff the service is excellent. You can do as much or as little as you like from snorkeling, diving, horse back riding, golf, walking trails. You can also be pampered in the amazing spa centre overlooking the sea which is just a spectacular setting.
The main restaurant is also a treat with some theme nights like Indian food or tradition Fijian cooking through to great al a carte dining options. There are some spectacular spots in the restaurant which sits on top of the volcanic cliff and has many private ledges and decks to sit on overlooking the sea and island taking in the sunset. If you want a more private dining experience they are more than happy to cater for whatever you want. We had lobster on the deck of our villa one night, 3 course dinner in a cave on the beach for our anniversary & a lunch up at the waterfall, all unforgettable & spectacular experiences.
The resort also has entertainment room call the Kava Bowl which has a 2 lane ten pin bowling alley, fantastic golf simulator, pool table and table tennis table. Next to it is the gym if you are feeling guilty from all the pleasures they provide. Everything in the place is inclusive except for the spa treatments although there are even some spa facilities that guests can use free of charge as well. Whatever you want to eat, accompanied by a very extensive wine and alcohol list. There were some great Australian, New Zealand and Argentinian wines to choose from, all inclusive.
The two villas we stayed in were to die for and I believe a favorite to several Hollywood stars. The first 3 nights were in the Dream House which is a magnificent 2 bedroom 180m2 villa which literally IS a dream house. Overlooking the ocean on a cliff face with spectacular views the villa has a good pool and spa over two levels with several outdoor areas including day beds, deck and lounges to relax. Inside is a magnificent timber getaway with all the luxuries including a spa in the bathroom, kitchen dining area, large lounge area with a great drop down screen and Apple TV with 1,000 movies loaded into it that gives you your own night time cinema with great Bose surround sound. You really don't need to leave the villa if you didn't want to, and we had many divine meals delivered to the room with unbelievably friendly and professional service.
Duavata was the next villa we stayed in which was spectacular as well. Built as a 3 pod system with a wrap around pool dividing the dining area from the main bedroom/ lounge. It also had an upstairs roofed deck for outdoor dining which was brilliant for an evening meal which is where we had lobster delivered one night. You would not believe the effort they put into making the experience special - from the setting up with candles and flower petals scattered around, to the table layout and delivery of the meal. Again this villa had magnificent views and at night the blue lights in the pool glowed over the ocean lookout. The end pod had dressing rooms, spa and bathroom with own outdoor access and privacy.
Words are not really enough to discernible this Heaven on earth and it is no wonder Anthony Robbins fell in love with it many years again and developed this piece of paradise. Not only do the location and facilities stun you and exceed expectations, but the way it is run and the very professional management and super friendly and efficient staff from the groundsman, to the cleaner, right through to the restaurant are what really makes this place special. If you are looking for a bucket list destination for a special occasion then this place is it. Not a single complaint and we can't recommend it highly enough. My wife tells me we must go back.

Room Tip: Go for Ocean front Villa, further from reception the quieter it gets, but no bad rooms
4  Thank Glen W
NamaleResort, Guest Relations Manager at Namale Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Bula Vinaka and thank you for your review.

We are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your time on property. We are humbled by your comments and thank you for allowing us to share our Namale Fijian hospitality with you whilst you were on property. As always, our outcome is to be able to deliver an experience that is memorable and magical. Thank you for choosing to travel to Namale and thank you allowing us to touch your hearts with an amazing experience.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Apparently TripAdvisor doesn't like links to personal blogs, so here goes my second attempt:

On this trip we didn't have many expectations or goals, but the ones we had were very clear. This was our honeymoon, and as such we were both looking forward to spending the time with each other far more than using the vacation as an educational experience. In particular we wanted to have an opportunity to do absolutely nothing. Sit on a beach if we wanted, eat when we wanted, sleep when we wanted. If something tickled our fancy we didn't want to feel any pressure to "make the most" of the trip "because who knows if you'll ever do it again."

We also wanted a place that allowed us to be left alone. Crowds were out of the question and so were children. We weren't looking for a Spring Break type place, but we definitely wanted to keep our environment quiet and demure.

Finally, we were looking for a place that would be all-inclusive. Most of the time I plan every detail of vacations and this time I wanted to have the bulk of things taken care of. Food, transportation, alcohol, activities - the more included the better.

I'm deliriously happy to say that Namale strongly fit the bill on all counts. The resort is immaculately kept, the accommodations are, well, quite literally unbelievable at times, and the people are without question its greatest asset. There is absolutely no question that the staff do everything in their power to make you feel welcome.

Upon arrival at the resort we were met with a crowd of staff singing and clapping, greeting us by name, and giving us sea-shell leis - straight out of a movie. Once you are all checked in, you are provided with a tour of the resort via golf cart. Namale has a (very impressive) full gym, tennis court, dive shop, at least two pools, and a recreation center that they cleverly call "Kava Bowl" (Kava is a drink around which there is a ritual that encourages socializing, and it's made in - you guessed it - a kava bowl). Like most resorts, you'll find that there are missing equipment or things may not work properly, but this does not mean that you can't have fun.

For example, my wife enjoys bowling but doesn't get the chance to do it much any more, and she had a great time playing on the lanes. The lanes are set up like any other common Brunswick bowling lanes, with an electronic scoring system and automatic ball return - neither of which work exceedingly well. Far from being an issue, though, it actually wound up allowing us to play around a little bit without having to worry about serious competition getting in the way.

I had read in some of the reviews from about a year ago that there were issues with Internet access at the resort. Whatever those issues may have been, they appeared to have been cleared up. Wireless routers were installed in every place we went, and even on the beach.

There are several places that will allow you to watch movies, based upon AppleTV devices located in the Gym, KavaBowl, and some of the larger bures. We didn't really see any need to watch movies that we could otherwise see at home, so I can't really report on that except to say they are available.

Each of the Bures has its own name, and there are four basic types: Garden-facing bures, Ocean-facing bures, Honeymoon suites, and villas. Before we arrived we got upgraded to an ocean-facing Bure (named "Ani"), and then on our last day we were moved to a villa (named "Duavata").

What I can tell you is that we were very happy with Ani. It was a very small bure but about 50 feet from the beach. We spent many many hours sitting on the beach watching the waves, doing reading, and effectively watching the tide go in and out, which was precisely what I needed.

Duavata, which is a villa that, quite frankly, is one of those places that you seen in travel brochures. The bure is made up of two separate buildings, connected by a walkway. The bedroom is actually part of a "great room" style approach, which has giant windows and folding doors that open out onto its own, private pool.

Ultimately, as I said, Ani was great, and we both loved Ani. However, if we had stayed in Duavata we probably would never have left the bure at all!

There are so many wonderful ocean-front spots that are set up to sit down, relax, or even take breakfast, lunch, or dinner. In fact, I think that there isn't anywhere on the property that you can't ask for them to serve you food. As you will read in other reviews of Namale, the food is stellar. There are two standard menus, the breakfast and "all day" menu, which has staples like comfort food (e.g., cheeseburger, salad, steak sandwich, etc.). Even though those menus don't change, it doesn't mean that you can't ask for something else.

The true genius of the staff are the small touches and attention to detail that permeates the care paid to the guests. In both of the bures we stayed in, the word "Welcome" was laid out in flower petals. They are keenly aware that if you are here for a romantic reason (like our honeymoon), they will do everything in their power to ensure that's what you get. I asked my wife what her favorite part of the trip was, and she didn't hesitate: the waterfall lunch.

The staff takes you to an extension of the property which is extremely secluded, and set up an incredible lunch right at the side of the waterfall. The setup was incredibly beautiful, romantic, and quite dream-like.

Namale brings much of the cultural aspects of Fiji to the guests in the evening, which is another reason why we never really felt a compulsion to leave the resort (no, I know it's not the same thing, just bear with me for a moment). Every evening there is something that was planned during the dinner time, whether it be Kava Time, the staff performing for the guests, or even a choir.

The family performance was a true joy to watch. One of the staff, Rosie, and her family came out to perform. We were truly impressed with the skill and energy they brought to the performance, especially since the audience of guests was about a dozen people or so. With the smiles on their faces you would have thought they were playing Carnegie hall.

For me, Kava Time was the most fun. The key thing about Kava is that it is social. It is a Fijian clarion call to bring people together; think campfires with s'mores in America and you'll get the gist of the type of 'social' I mean. At Namale, we sat around the kava bowl on pillows, performed the ritual when drinking (involves one clap before a drink, three claps after a drink, and a lot of smiling), and listened to musicians play guitars and ukelele.

Things to Keep in Mind
Let me be as clear as possible: this is not like any hotel or resort I've stayed at before. Interactions with people, equipment, and the environment require a shift in a guest's perspective.

Get used to hearing the greeting ("Bula!") along with your first name (more on this below). During the first couple of days, even though I had read about it in another review, it kind of made me think that I was, well, being played. Either that, or I had stepped onto the Stepford Resort.

The reality is that I have quite a few mental and emotional barriers, apparently, because nothing could be further from the truth. The warmth and welcome is completely genuine, as is the desire to make the visit special.

They say that the real test is when things go wrong, and unfortunately I had a perfect opportunity to let that happen. The second day of our visit, I slipped and fell on the tile bathroom (my fault, not theirs), and whacked the hell out of my knee. Bad enough to see stars, bad enough to fight down reflexive nausea, but not bad enough to summon a doctor.

My wife requested a bag of ice, which they brought to the bure, and when I limped into the restaurant for the evening meal the concern the staff showed was completely genuine. One staff member promised to bring a cane from home (her own personal cane), and another promised to look for a knee brace that he used. None of this was part of the resort, this was simply the fact that the staff was genuinely concerned.

Fiji-Time
Whatever you pack, don't forget to bring your patience. Things come when they come. "Right away" can mean 2 hours. Food arrives... eventually. Coffee for breakfast seems to be made when you order it, not pre-made as in most restaurants, and they may eventually forget that they were supposed to bring you sugar for your coffee, but it will come... at some point.

Now, you may think that this is some sort of backhanded gripe - but it's not. For us, we were sure that we didn't want and didn't need to have a rigid schedule, so we weren't pressed for a schedule to keep. For me, personally, this is a far cry from what I do on a day-to-day basis, where I'm constantly running from meeting to meeting and hearing the incessant reminder of the next scheduled event. In a way, it was a reminder that we are not on our normal schedule and we don't need to be so precise. I could easily see, however, how people who are used to a certain time frame may feel a bit antsy and even possibly abandoned at times. Just keep in mind that this is not the case.

Summary
It is extremely easy to recommend Namale, for all the reasons listed (and shown) above, and so many more. As long as this review is, there is so much more that we could share about the resort. Even though it's far away from where we live in the U.S., we have already been talking about saving up to go again as soon as is reasonable. For a couple who likes trying new things and exploring the world around us, take my word that this is a *huge* compliment to Namale, its staff, and its management.

Vinaka!

5  Thank drjmetz
NamaleManager, Guest Relations Manager at Namale Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Bula Vinaka and thank you for your review.

It is indeed a pleasure for us to read about your magical wonderful experiences at Namale. It is always a pleasure for us; as family, to be able to reach out to hold your hand and guide your experience and then ultimately touch your heart. We love looking after our guests and sharing with them all the experiences that allow for magical and long-lasting memories.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

From the Minute you arrive at Namale, you will Realize you've Chosen the best. Namale is a superb Resort with some of the most luxurious accommodation fiji has to offer. We were part of a Familiarization trip & the minute we entered our Room " The Dream House " we were Awestruck by the Luxurious accomodation & Amenties in the Room such as the Bose Surround System, Infinity pool, etc. The staff were all welcoming and friendly. The Food was out of this world. Namale has one of the best Spa's in Asia & also has the only Bowling alley in Fiji. If your going for your Honeymoon the Honeymoon Bure is Outstanding. The resort Has Activities lined up everyday such as Skuba Diving, Snorkelling etc to keep you busy.

Namale offers a Vacation made to Perfection & should definitely be on your Wishlist.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Villas, its worth Every Penny.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank PuneNikhil
NamaleManager, Guest Relations Manager at Namale Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Bula Vinaka and thank you for your review.

We are delighted that you were able to experience Namale and our amazing Fijian hospitality. We pride ourselves in lighting up the lives of our guests and meeting their needs and expectations. We love paying attention to the tiny details and making sure that our guests needs are exceptionally met. Thank you so much for staying with us. We look forward to looking after some of your clients in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I stayed here for a portion of my honeymoon in Sept., 2012, it was by far the best stay and experience that I had in Fiji. It is remote, secluded, breathtaking, 5-star service, tranquil, peaceful and to date the best "hotel" experience I have had. From the time you get there, you are greeted with wonderful service. The grounds are gorgeous, our villa was perfect, extremely clean, well maintained, lovely deck overlooking the ocean. The food was very good, many choices, room service is only a phone call away to the front desk and they will bring you any drink, snack or meal that you want. You can choose to have your meal in your room - they bring everything - or one of the many choices of their dining areas. I took advantage of the spa services, again, the staff was attentive here and you can stay in the spa villa as long as you like after your service is over to take an outside shower overlooking the ocean or relax in the sauna or soak in a hot tub. The smell when you walk in is delicious and comforting, the oils and lotions they use in the spa will awaken your senses and will remind you of Fiji and Namale forever. We were in Namale for only a portion of our time in Fiji and I would have been happy to stay there the whole 10 days. This is remote, secluded and peaceful in location. A break from the rest of the world. Again, the service and the staff is 5 STARS, attentive from the moment you get there. Namale gives you a schedule of activities that you can take advantage of, diving, trips into the town and horseback riding on the beach, which we did and I highly recommend. The resident dog is so sweet, they rescued the horses that we were horseback riding on, a laid back, peaceful place a world away. I hope to visit back again one day! Namale will not disappoint.

Room Tip: Our villa was the farthest one from the reception area, we didn't mind walking the 10 minutes to...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PisanoD
NamaleManager, Guest Relations Manager at Namale Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

Bula Vinaka and thank you for your email.

We love that you had an amazing experience at Namale. We have an amazing family here at Namale that is centered around providing an amazing and unforgettable experience for our guests. We offer an experience that is exclusive, private and authentically Fijian. From the time to arrive till the time you depart, Namale offers an evolution of an amazing experience.

Thank you for allowing us to look after you.

Guest Relations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Savusavu
Savasi Island Villas
#8 of 12 in Savusavu
Korovesi Sunshine Villas
Korovesi Sunshine Villas
#10 of 12 in Savusavu

Been to Namale Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!