“Absolute Perfection”

Namale Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Reviewed 8 January 2014

There is, literally, not one thing I can say that is bad about Namale. My husband and I stayed there through Christmas and New Year's Eve and from the moment we arrived until the moment we left the resort and especially the staff exceeded our every expectation. No sooner had we landed in Fiji at the Nadi airport than were we greeted by a Namale staff member who helped us check in for our connecting flight to Savusavu, and at the Savusavu airport we were met by another staff member who drove us to the resort --- and absolutely everything was handled for us for the rest of our stay.

The grounds are simply stunning -- beautifully landscaped and immaculately maintained. Just walking around the property feels like a visit to a botanical garden, and around every corner another gorgeous view of the Koro Sea awaits. We stayed in Duavata, and felt like we were living in a dream. The 'house' is really several connected bures with a private infinity pool overlooking the sea and numerous places to relax and enjoy the stunning beauty. It also has a luxury bathroom with a garden jacuzzi tub that looks out on the pool and the sea, two private outdoor bathrooms and it's own kitchen, and every day was restocked with beer, wine, fruit juice, sodas, water, amazing coffees, teas and fresh made cookies! The bed is like something out of a romance novel. Need I say more?

We paddle boarded, snorkeled, swam, played tennis, jumped on the water trampoline, hiked around the waterfall, swam under the waterfall, worked out in the gym, relaxed in the spa and did four scuba dives - included two at the phenomenal Namena Marine Reserve --- and must do for divers! We also enjoyed the nightly shows presented by local song and dance troupes and we drank a little kava, taking in some Fijian culture and traditions. We didn't get around to bowling, watching movies or playing any of the games in the recreation room -- but it looked like there was a lot to do in there, too.

The food at Namale is, without a doubt, the best we've ever had at any resort, spa or on any cruise, and is comparable to what you'd expect to find in a high-end California restaurant. Think: Decadently healthy. Lots of very fresh fish, vegetables and fruits and high quality meats, imaginatively prepared and gorgeously presented. We became addicted to the coconut chutney and requested it with nearly every meal!

But the best thing about our stay at Namale was, hands down, the staff. They are truly the friendliest people we've encountered anywhere. They were so easy to deal with, from start to finish, and extremely accommodating. Everyone at Namale seems to follow the lead of the co-general managers, Bill and Nowdla Keefe, who welcomed us warmly and worked tirelessly to make sure the trip was the best of our lives. They even planned a special New Year's Eve party for us and the other guests there — with a huge spread of delicious food, a live performance of Fijian dance, a magically decorated room and a DJ, dancing and balloon drop.

We enjoyed three 'special meals' while we were there: at the beach, the waterfall and the cave (as well as many special meals in the main bure and in Duavata). It amazed us how much effort had to go into the special meals, as the staff had to set up tables, light dozens of candles, decorate with fresh flowers, and then serve us food and drinks in a remote setting. And yet we never caught even a hint of grumble from any of the staff members about the extra work --- not like we'd expect from hospitality workers in the U.S.

This truly was the best trip of either of our lives and we will be forever appreciative of the efforts the Namale staff made to make it so.

Vinaka!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank rsanderlin
NamaleResort, Guest Relations Manager at Namale Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Bula Vinaka and thank you for your review.

We are truly humbled by the amazing things that you had share about the Namale experience. We take great pride in looking after our guests and ensuing that they have an experience that is always amazing, memorable and wonderful. Thank you for spending time with us. We truly appreciate it.

There are newer reviews for Namale Resort & Spa

Reviewed 2 January 2014

My wife & I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary at Namale in Sept.2013, absolutely amazing! Billy the van driver from Namale, picked us up at the airport and made us feel so welcome to his home land. Once you arrive at the resort, you are welcomed by the staff with song and drinks. We stayed in the Lomani Bure in which we had our own private plunge pool, wonderful!! Clean, I can't say enough how clean it was, every morning there would be two or three people cleaning our Bure, inside and out. The room was stocked with what ever you wanted to drink, I don't drink so Hudson made sure when we arrived that our room and the resort was well stocked with non-alcoholic beer, this I enjoy. We would stay in the Rosi villa next time, so much bigger. The food is all high class, anything you wanted you received. The spa is like nothing we have ever experienced, so relaxing you didn't want to leave. You could do anything you wanted, they would see to it that it would happen. You are treated like family, but in a great way lol. We rented a car and a driver who took us all over the island, highly recommended to see their culture. The river jump is out of this world, we still talk about it. A must is having lunch at the waterfall, bring your bathing suits, no one informed us about this, wish they had. The golf course is great, no pressure to move fast. I have to say that everyone is so sincere, it's sad that you have to leave, my special friend Vili would go out of his way to make us happy, I do miss his big smile. Namle is a must on everyone's list of vacation choices, Our sincere thank you to Hudson, Rosie, Bill and Nowdla, Vili and all the staff, we miss you all and hope to one day return to see you.
Happy New Year
Vinaka,
John & Melody

Room Tip: Any room with a plunge pool
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Melo H
NamaleManager, Guest Relations Manager at Namale Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear John and Melody,

Bula Vinaka and thank you for your review. Your kind words bring much joy to the Namale family. We thank you for allowing us to pamper you, spoil you and share with you a bit of our Fijian customs and traditions. We trust that you will cherish your time on property with us and we thank you sincerely for choosing Namale.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

My husband and i honeymooned at Namale in July 2013 and everything was so perfect. To break down my review;

Room Quality
We stayed in the Rosi villa as i had wanted a plunge pool. The room was huge and equipped with a pool table, plunge pool, hot tub, private deck, outdoor shower, indoor shower, indoor tub, walk in, fully stocked bar fridge, Apple TV and large projector screen. The room was cleaned thoroughly daily.
Best Part: The room is stocked with fresh cookies every day! Complimentary laundry service daily. Complimentary sulus in the room to keep.
Negatives: The Apple TV dropped out from time to time but it's no fault of the hotel, internet connection in Fiji is just sub standard.

OMG! The food was amazing. We enjoyed every single thing we ate. The seafood is so fresh. Everything is tasty, generous serving sizes. The food is pretty much unlimited and you can eat anything you want, anywhere you want up until 10pm with a single phone call to reception. The chefs absolutely have to be commended. I loved everything especially the dine outs.
Best part: One of the chefs, Imlesh, made us fresh curry every night which we had a midnight snack. It was yummy and huge serving sizes.
Negatives: Absolutely None. Perfect!

Activities
My husband and i did some kayaking and horse riding. There were other activities available but we didn't do them. Of course they were all complimentary. We made full use of the spa. We really liked how they had discounts on certain treatments every night in the newsletter. It made the treatment prices reasonable. We had couples massages and it was lovely.
Best part: Dine outs! We loved visiting the waterfall.
Suggestion: I'd love for Namale to provide jet skis! We would have loved to do that activity.

Customer Service
The customer service is by far the best thing about Namale. Booking was easy. Hudson and his team were so friendly and so helpful. All of the staff were excellent. We would like to shout out to Vili who transported us around the island. He is such a lovely guy and such an asset to the hotel. My husband and i are locals in Fiji, based in Nadi, and we can honestly say that as locals, when we go to hotels on the mainland we are usually not treated as well as tourists. Namale is the only hotel we have been to where we treated the same, if not better, than tourists and we really appreciate that!

To conclude,
Namale is one of the nicest places we have every stayed. I encourage anyone to book it and you will not be disappointed. SavuSavu is so beautiful and Namale is beyond. We went to Hawaii straight after Namale and honestly i found Hawaii so disappointing after Namale.

To the Namale team. Thank you so much for looking after us. We will definitely be back! We recommend your hotel to everyone we know! Thank you!

Regards,
Amit and Sharon.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BeautifulRX

Dear Amit and Sharon,

Bula Vinaka and thank you for your review. We are delighted that we had an opportunity to look after you both. Thank you so much for choosing Namale. We are humbled by all the wonderful things you had to say about us. The entire Namale family take pride in offering an experience that is like no other in Fiji. We look forward to welcoming you back home again sometime soon.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

I once again returned to this truly amazing vacation location and I found that the facilities are continuing their renovations which only enhanced my previous enjoyments.
What I did find out this visit was that they have, in labasa, is a great dentist at very reasonable prices---would recommend him to anyone.
Back to the resort, the "main Bure" menu has been greatly improved and the presentation of the food is very pleasing to the eye.
My previous comments as to the quality of the facilities available to the guest remain at a high level--their golf course has been greatly improved and is now a pleasure to play.
Go to NAMALE if you want a real relaxing and enjoyable vacation

Room Tip: Ask for the Ana Bure.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank noggasak

Bula Vinaka and thank you for your review.

We love the fact that you were able to relive and better your Namale experience. We take great joy in welcoming our returnees back home so thank you so much for making the pilgrimage to Namale. We look forward to an opportunity to look after you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

This place was and is a dream. I didn't do very much research on Fiji itself, just the resort, so when we arrived I really didn't know what to expect. After arriving at the SavuSavu Airport (an shed of sorts) I was a little nervous. That was gone the second we drove onto the property. The landscape is beautiful in itself, but I couldn't have expected EVERYONE that worked there to be so friendly! We were welcomed with flowers and a native fijian welcome song, and shown to our Bures. We stayed in Nanise, which was FANTASTIC!!! Food was exceptional! Anything you wanted, including drinks, movies, music, games, activities, spa treatments, they made happen. If you are going as a couple, they would set up a secret dinner somewhere on the resort only they would know, and would take you there. It is magical. They would also set up dinner where ever you wanted in the resort... it didn't matter where! They have a short hike to a waterfall, and if you want they would set a picnic up for you. I would go here over and over if I could. If you watch the video on the website, it is absolutely 100% accurate. It is paradise. I don't think I would ever be ready to leave, but like all good things, they have to come to an end. I will recommend this place over and over again. I hope to go back again someday.

Room Tip: Nanise is on a 50 foot rock and has its own dip pool with an unbelievable view of the sunset. If yo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bridget S

Bula Vinaka and thank you for your review.

Our team specializes in turning dreams into reality! Thank you for allowing us to weave magic into the experience that you had when you were on property. Nanise is such an amazing bure and had amazing vistas that can take your breath away. Thank you being wonderful ambassadors for Namale. We hope that there is another opportunity in the not too distant future to look after you both again.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

We have been reading Tripadvisor for three or four years and have visited seven or eight resorts during that period that could have been rated five stars. However, not one of those was such a superlative experience that we were tempted to write a review. Namale Resort does rise to the level that deserves a review.

Everything was as stated in prior reviews - people, food, lodging. There is no need to expand other than to confirm everything is excellent.

One thing that deserves extra mention is the golf course - I didn't expect such an enjoyable experience and had minimum expectations. The greens and traps do leave something to be desired, but the beauty and fun of having this course all to oneself can't be overstated. If you are even an occasional golfer, make time for at lease one round.

We had a few special requests during our stay that were not among their published activities. All were handled with a smile and at no charge.

We stayed in Bula House and it was extraordinary. However, it was just more than we needed to have an enjoyable stay. While you can't go wrong with the villas, I would probably suggest that a Honeymoon Bure would more than satisfy most people's needs.

Location gets only four stars because Namale lacks a swimmable beach. Walking on the reef at low tide almost makes up for this, but not quite

You can spend more money in Fiji, but we would be surprised if you can find a better experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Bula Vinaka and thank you for your review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your time at Namale and that you felt taken cared of and enjoyed the overall experience. We are also delighted that you managed to play around of golf and that the course proved to be delight to you. Thank you so much for choosing Namale. Fiji offers many choices. The fact that you chose Namale means a lot to the Namale family.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Let me first clarify my comments by saying we are avid luxury travelers who have been right around the world and stayed in some of the best hotels. This place is one of the best we have ever been to and as a 6 time visitor to Fiji this is certainly the best by far that we have stayed at on these Pacific Islands, and we have stayed at a luxury exclusive island before. Namale has a big reputation to live up to, but it met and went beyond our expectations, which is rare these days. From the moment they pick you up at Savu Savu airport their friendly driver Billie will make you feel welcome to the island. .
After a short drive to the resort you go through the Namale gates into a tropical paradise which is immaculately maintained. You are driven up to the reception area where a dozen or more staff are there to welcome you with one of their traditional songs.
The check in is sitting on the covered verandah with fresh juice and friendly staff member explaining the resort facilities and offering a personal guided tour. We had a slight hiccup with the particular bure we had booked, due to a double booking on that room. Even though there were perfectly good similar bures the manager stepped in and assured us she would fix the situation to our satisfaction, which turned out to be a major understatement. I have been to plenty of hotels and resorts where the management will then try to talk you around to similar rooms and offer you some drinks vouchers or something similar, Nowdra, the manager, handled the situation above and beyond anything I had seen before and upgraded our entire stay to two amazing villas. This was well beyond what we expected and took the holiday for our 20th wedding anniversary to a whole new level.
About the resort, well it is a lush paradise set in an absolute private and tranquil environment. With only a maximum of 38 guests and up to 140 staff the service is excellent. You can do as much or as little as you like from snorkeling, diving, horse back riding, golf, walking trails. You can also be pampered in the amazing spa centre overlooking the sea which is just a spectacular setting.
The main restaurant is also a treat with some theme nights like Indian food or tradition Fijian cooking through to great al a carte dining options. There are some spectacular spots in the restaurant which sits on top of the volcanic cliff and has many private ledges and decks to sit on overlooking the sea and island taking in the sunset. If you want a more private dining experience they are more than happy to cater for whatever you want. We had lobster on the deck of our villa one night, 3 course dinner in a cave on the beach for our anniversary & a lunch up at the waterfall, all unforgettable & spectacular experiences.
The resort also has entertainment room call the Kava Bowl which has a 2 lane ten pin bowling alley, fantastic golf simulator, pool table and table tennis table. Next to it is the gym if you are feeling guilty from all the pleasures they provide. Everything in the place is inclusive except for the spa treatments although there are even some spa facilities that guests can use free of charge as well. Whatever you want to eat, accompanied by a very extensive wine and alcohol list. There were some great Australian, New Zealand and Argentinian wines to choose from, all inclusive.
The two villas we stayed in were to die for and I believe a favorite to several Hollywood stars. The first 3 nights were in the Dream House which is a magnificent 2 bedroom 180m2 villa which literally IS a dream house. Overlooking the ocean on a cliff face with spectacular views the villa has a good pool and spa over two levels with several outdoor areas including day beds, deck and lounges to relax. Inside is a magnificent timber getaway with all the luxuries including a spa in the bathroom, kitchen dining area, large lounge area with a great drop down screen and Apple TV with 1,000 movies loaded into it that gives you your own night time cinema with great Bose surround sound. You really don't need to leave the villa if you didn't want to, and we had many divine meals delivered to the room with unbelievably friendly and professional service.
Duavata was the next villa we stayed in which was spectacular as well. Built as a 3 pod system with a wrap around pool dividing the dining area from the main bedroom/ lounge. It also had an upstairs roofed deck for outdoor dining which was brilliant for an evening meal which is where we had lobster delivered one night. You would not believe the effort they put into making the experience special - from the setting up with candles and flower petals scattered around, to the table layout and delivery of the meal. Again this villa had magnificent views and at night the blue lights in the pool glowed over the ocean lookout. The end pod had dressing rooms, spa and bathroom with own outdoor access and privacy.
Words are not really enough to discernible this Heaven on earth and it is no wonder Anthony Robbins fell in love with it many years again and developed this piece of paradise. Not only do the location and facilities stun you and exceed expectations, but the way it is run and the very professional management and super friendly and efficient staff from the groundsman, to the cleaner, right through to the restaurant are what really makes this place special. If you are looking for a bucket list destination for a special occasion then this place is it. Not a single complaint and we can't recommend it highly enough. My wife tells me we must go back.

Room Tip: Go for Ocean front Villa, further from reception the quieter it gets, but no bad rooms
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Glen W
NamaleResort, Guest Relations Manager at Namale Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Bula Vinaka and thank you for your review.

We are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your time on property. We are humbled by your comments and thank you for allowing us to share our Namale Fijian hospitality with you whilst you were on property. As always, our outcome is to be able to deliver an experience that is memorable and magical. Thank you for choosing to travel to Namale and thank you allowing us to touch your hearts with an amazing experience.

Hudson Mitchell
Guest Relations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Savusavu
Savasi Island Villas
#8 of 12 in Savusavu
Korovesi Sunshine Villas
Korovesi Sunshine Villas
#10 of 12 in Savusavu

Been to Namale Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!