“Wonderful Place”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Milan, Italy
“Wonderful Place”
Reviewed 16 August 2010

A must to be, facing the ocean, good manager, great staff

Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Sydney
Reviewed 16 August 2010

My wife and I visited Namale after a week at Liku Liku, and were very pleased that each Resort was so different, it made for a terrific 2 weeks.
Namale has a reasonably small number of Guest Bures, which is terrific, and the all inclusive rate is great value. Unfortunately we hit some bad weather, (well it was winter), so that can't be helped, and there was a huge array of various activeties they offer that can be undertaken during such weather. We used the time to do some touring around the Island and catch up on reading.
The Staff were fantastic, the service was great, everybody called us by name, and the food could not be faulted.
Probably our biggest probem was that my Wife is severley allergic to cats and the Island has 2 or 3 that seem to have the run of the place. At Breafast, Lunch and Dinner they would appear, in the eating area's and out of the preparation area, and although the staff tried valiantly to keep them at bay, the guests that feed them at their table didn't help.
At previous Island locations we have visited such as Liku Liku, Mana, Turtle etc. they have been able to keep any Island cats away from the guests and food area's, so I am hoping Namale can do the same as we do want to return in summer 2011.
The 2 programs they put on during the week we were there, being the Sunday Choir and mid week "family" Meke, were absolutely beautiful, probably 2 of the best I have witnessed in the 41 years I have been travelling to Fiji.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Geoff48
indianapolis
Reviewed 5 August 2010

This review is long overdue! My husband and I stayed at Namale April 18-24th, and had the most amazing experience either of us has ever had. When deciding on a honeymoon location we wanted something unique, intimate, and "one of a kind." Namale was all of that and much more! Both of us having vacationed to many beautiful places before, Namale was by far the most special and beautiful place we have ever been. It was truly the perfect Honeymoon!
My husband and I like to stay active, and it was the perfect place for us! We went diving every single day to some amazing dive spots! The Dive crew is extremely accommodating, not to mention so much fun! We always felt safe with them, and looked forward to a new adventure everyday! We enjoyed horseback riding, mountain biking, reef walking, kayaking, diving, snorkeling, and playing on the water trampoline! We also took a trip to the sugar cane fields, went to a church service, and watched a rugby match in the village! But we also had our fair share of relaxation. Namale has a very peaceful presence. No one goes by time, you will not see a clock or watch anywhere. If you ask someone what time it is, they will say, " its fiji time." You an do anything or have anything you want at any time!
The food was unbelievable! Some of the best we've ever had. We were amazed at how good it was, as Namale is all-inclusive. We looked forward to every single meal! Everything was fresh and delicious! It was fine dining at every single meal. And you could also eat whenever and wherever you wanted. We had an amazing picnic at the waterfall, such a treat! And if there was something not listed on the menu that you want, just ask! They will make it happen!
We stayed in a beautiful honeymoon burre, called Nanise. It was perfect. It was stocked with everything we needed, and was built into a volcanic rock that had our own private deck with plunge pool overlooking the south pacific. The burre is all open-air, and at night you fall asleep to the sound of the waves. Three of the nights it rained really hard, and we loved it! It was such a neat experience to be surrounded by the pouring rain in our burre. And then it cleared up beautifully for us every single day! But if you do have some rainy days, there is plenty to do still. The spa, big screen TV, indoor basketball court, and of course, The Kava Bowl. The Kava bowl is a playground for adults: a full stocked bar, bowling alley, ping pong, pool table, golf simulator, board games, and lots of music you can pick yourself. My husband and I played around a few times before and after dinner, so much fun!
The Namale spa is out of this world! We had two couples massages, and I also had a facial while my husband golfed one day. Each service was amazing! The facility is gorgeous and tranquil, and you can stay as long as you wish.
I saved the best for last, which is the Fijian people. As a whole the fijian culture is this way, but the same holds true for Namale's wonderful staff. They are the friendliest, warmest, nicest, kindest, and outgoing people you will ever meet. They will genuinely do their best to make your stay perfect. If we wanted (we never needed anything because they usually already had taken care of it!) all we needed to do was ask, and it was done within minutes. We made some really good friends with the Namale staff on our stay, and we still think of them to this day! I cried a couple times after we returned just thinking about our amazing honeymoon at Namale. Those memories we shared will always be special to our hearts! On the way home, I asked my husband if we could return to Namale on our 25th wedding anniversary. (Distance and price make it a difficult trip) But to my delight, he said, "How about our 5 year anniversary! We can't wait!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kallenIndianapolis
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed 4 August 2010

Namale is gorgeous and the service is incredible. That is entirely true. The food is delicious and the menu is merely a suggestion for the wonderful things that they can prepare for you. The Fijian staff is incredible - very friendly and welcoming! The spa was always available and the treatments were high quality. Overall, a great honeymoon destination.

However, we did have 3 major complaints which have all been brought to the attention of management , two while we were there.

1. The dive equipment, including the boat, was dangerous and poorly maintained. On several occasions the boat could not even go out because of battery work needed. On one trip, the crew actually opened the batteries up and were trying to jump start the boat by striking the cables against each other. The boat itself was an aluminum bathtub - hardly appropriate for the waters of Fiji. Most incredibly, however, was the state of the dive equipment. On our last dive (so decided because of our mistrust), the dive master's hose burst on the drive out to the site. What if that had been a guest or what if it had happened under water? Management does not invest enough resources in its dive shop, which is a travesty given Namale's proximity to some of the best dive sites in the world. As it was, the diving was mediocre at best.

2. My husband and I love to fish. As such, before our trip, we contacted Namale about their capabilities, equipment, and possibility of hiring a fly fishing guide. All were said to be more than possible, but that the fishing at Namale was incredible and right at our fingertips. Well, the "Fishing Boat" was actually a lavender colored ski boat. Great for water sports, but hardly appropriate for fishing. Furthermore, when we asked if we could hire a deep water guide, we were told that it would be a waste of money, that we could simply go fishing around Namale. Well, for those who know fishing, deep water is a very different experience (think Hemmingway vs. Tom Sawyer) and one not to be missed. Yet despite our inquiries, we got nowhere. We did have two fun fishing days out on Namale's boat, but then the hull cracked and the boat was pulled for a couple of days. We watched them patch the crack with glue - scary. My husband and I decided to go out for an hour just in the bay the next day. While we were fishing, the ski boat was spewing gasoline - into the water, on our gear, everywhere. Not pleasant and certainly not safe! And thank goodness we brought our own gear, as Namale's consisted of two spinning rods, one of which broke on the first cast. None of the staff even knew what a fly rod was. Again, management has really neglected the materials necessary for water sports. A pity given the proximity of Jean-Cousteau's resort right around the corner.

3. Finally - three months after we got back to the states, Namale contacted us saying they had "misplaced" our payment and could we please re-pay? When we asked for a couple of days to contact our banks (since they contacted us on a Friday and online statements are difficult to search in pdf that far back), we were told that if we didn't respond within 4 days, they would charge our credit card regardless. Now, my husband and I certainly didn't want to skip out on the bill, but to have this brought to our attention three months after our stay and in such a rude manner was beyond shocking. Especially after we settled our bill the day we left and had Namale's "receipt," which was basically a piece of paper saying what our final bill came to with the logo on top. Not a very efficient way to run a business, nor a way to treat guests who spend $10k on a stay.

Overall, while Namale was a great place to spend our honeymoon, neither my husband nor I would return, though we do look forward to going back to Fiji one day.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TRJ522
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed 4 July 2010

Namale Resort lives upto every single advertised feature in full and more. My husband and I spent our first anniversary /honeymoon at Namale for 1 week and from booking the trip with Fiji vacations to the stay it was P-E-R-F-E-C-T!

Your every whim is taken care of however outlandish it maybe. We stayed at Civa (Pearl) house and there's no place more beautiful than this Villa. We loved the food, the diving, the Kava bowl, the town visits, the movie selections, the atmosphere, the 4th of July celebrations.....

Details:
The pastry chef at Namale is one of the best I have ever come across and she's a recent graduate! Ask for the Ginger-Lemon crepes....

My diving experience was enhanced by patient dive instructor Sam who not only taught me the basics but took care of every single detail needed for and during the dives.

Civa house is gorgeous! With its own pool and unique architecture, we loved just having lunch /dinner in the villa. The views are incredible from anywhere on the property. I asked if it was possible to get a hammock strung up on teh deck in Civa and the staff got it done!

If you like pearls, you'll love the Fijian pearls. Remember to allocate budget for some extra special colored pearls and polished Oyster shells.

The Spa is incredible! Every massage begins with a foot scrub and ends with a sigh! Do book the midnight magic, its an experience everyone should have atleast once. You will fall asleep after the 75 min massage though, so count on swaying back to your comfortable bure after.

Above all the personalization of every service is what I think makes Namale stand out among the rest of the resorts /hotels/ cruises I've been on. We will definitely be making future trips to Namale over the years and Highly recommend it.

The only word of caution - the Fijian sunrise takes your breath away so dont forget to watch for bugs....due to the open architecture of Civa house, we had our fair share of crawly visitors.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 11 June 2010

My wife and I just returned from a 12 night honeymoon trip to Fiji. The last 7 nights were spent at Namale. The first 24 hours at Namale were spent in complete awe of the resort and more importantly the staff. We were greeted upon arrival with a song. For some reason everyone in Fiji is a wonderful singer. Then Hudson explained how things worked at the resort and they were willing to do anything to make our stay unforgettable. We stayed in a honeymoon bure (Susana). The bure was absolutely perfect. Comfortable bed, stocked mini bar, Jacuzzi 2 person bath tub, AC, plunge pool, and amazing views with a private stairway to the beach.

Everyday at breakfast we were asked what we wanted to do that day. Amosi, Paul, Sam, or Abi from the dive shop would come and ask us about activities we would like to do that day. We could do a free scuba dive, kayak, snorkel or take part in one of the scheduled activities for the day. There were always a variety of activites for all tastes to choose from. Some examples are trips to a local village, shopping trip in Savu Savu, tour the pearl farm, 9 holes of golf, horseback riding to the water fall, and snorkeling. Our one regret is that we would have started scuba diving earlier in our trip so we could have done it more. The snorkeling and scuba diving is great. It felt like we were in an aquarium.

We were also able to have our meals any place we wanted to. We could eat on the beach, the hanging bed was our favorite, we rode horseback to the waterfall then had lunch delivered one day. The food is fantastic. They have a breakfast and lunch menu that did not change while we were there but it offered an abundance of choices. The dinner menu changed every day and always had something I wanted. Surf and turf one night and crab another. You must try the soup it is always new and it is always good. I had it at lunch and dinner every day and I thought about asking for some at breakfast.

Namale is one of the most beautiful places I have traveled to and offers something for everyone. They have an indoor basketball court, all the activities mentioned earlier, plus more, the kava bowl that has 2 bowling lanes, golf simulator, pool, air hockey, ping pong, darts, and a huge screen TV for movie watching. You can also explore the reef in front of the resort for some crazy sea creatures.

The spa is also amazing, the best in Fiji we were told. We had 2 massages during our stay. The second was the moonlight couples massage. In the evening we had a couples massage then had the whole place to ourselves to use the hydro room to relax have champagne and some hors'dourves the entire place had flower petals and candles lighting our way.

The staff is what made Namale different from any other place we had visited. I felt tlike they became our friends. The Fijian people are so kind that we thought something was up when we first arrived. The staff at Namale were willing to do anything that we asked to make our stay great. Most times we did not need to ask because they had already done it. They exceeded our expectations at all times during our stay. They learned what we liked to drink and eat. When the guys in the dive shop new I liked to fish they set me up with some hadline gear and then later a fishing rod so I could try my luck out in the kayak. I caught 10 fish on the handline.

My wife cried when we left Namale. They sang to us again when we were leaving. How can an entire country be good at singing? We promised each other that we would return to Namale one day. Hopefully that will be sooner than later. I could write a book about how great Namale and its staff is. If you are thinking about staying there, Do it. Worth every penny.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jwalczak
San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 June 2010

My fiance and I chose Namale for our destination wedding/honeymoon and we couldn't have picked a better place to make our dream come true. Namale was one of the top suggestions by our travel agent Tree at South Seas Adventures and we are very happy to have experienced such a wonderful place and wonderful people. From the minute we arrived at the resort to the minute we left, we were very well taken care of. We stayed in the honeymoon bure Lomani (being loved) it was gorgeous and spacious. We had our own splunge pool overlooking the ocean and three levels of deck leading to the reef below. Our wedding was planned perfectly from the flower arrangements, the choir, cake, fijian warriors, to our dinner. Food & drinks were fantastic. We also enjoyed the daily activities kayaking, snorkeling, hiking, fishing and most of all relaxing. We didn't get massages at the spa but the other guests were very pleased with their services. It was very hard to leave this wonderful place, we look forward to returning to Namale in the future.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bunches_2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Savusavu
Savasi Island Villas
#8 of 12 in Savusavu
Korovesi Sunshine Villas
Korovesi Sunshine Villas
#10 of 12 in Savusavu

Been to Namale Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!