“Paradise with Down to Earth Hosts”
Review of Daku Resort

Daku Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Reviewed 19 March 2013

This review is long overdue. My boyfriend and I spent a few gorgeous nights at Daku and I can't say enough about the hospitality experienced in our short stay. On arrival, we were greeted by a flustered JJ carryning fresh coconut drinks for us, and he was slightly disappointed that he didn't get to pick us up from the airport after we surprised them with an early visit.

We were given the keys to our room which was very spacious and tidy. The best touch to the room was the mosquito repellent and fly screen because as someone who gets bitten quite a lot, I hardly got bitten during my stay. It's the little things that count - and that's something that you experience quite a lot at Daku. There are so many little touches that make you feel welcome.

As my partner went diving (arranged by Daku), JJ, Delia and co. made sure there was plenty of activities for me to do. I got to spend time with JJ's family (who also made me feel like one of them!) and experience the true Fiji - from snorkelling, hiking to untouched waterfalls, meeting villagers, boat trips and having a big Fijian feast the night before we left.

When you need to unwind, the deck chairs by the pool, a good book and a hat is all you need.. and a pina colada doesn't hurt either. I also recommend getting a hot stone massage from Kalo before you leave!

It was sad to leave - and JJ drove us to the airport and waved us off as we boarded. When I go back to Savusavu, I definitely know where I'm going to say. Thank you so much for making our trip amazing JJ and Delia!

Paula

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 March 2013

A great finish to our amazing honeymoon - came to Fiji for the diving (Tui Tai, see separate review) and we'll return for Daku! We only stayed one night, but JJ still treated us like family, even drove us to the airport. Coming off the week long dive boat we were not excited to stay where we had been previously, so we were recommended this place by the Tui Tai office. We showed up and they had a one bedroom bure that had just opened up, gave us a great rate ($150FJ) and went out of their way to make us comfortable, even letting us check in at 9:00 am. JJ arranged a two-tank dive for us in the afternoon but we cancelled and decided to be lazy, went for a cab ride and stroll downtown instead. Both of us wished we could stay another week in the bure, but with money running low it was time to go home. Thanks JJ for the wonderful retreat!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank There-n-back-allover
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Daku Resort was the perfect holiday to complement our Sydney’s northern beaches lifestyle - a great escape with teenagers aged 17 and 16 , to a world where personalised service and experiences were the order of the day. From the intimate and moving kava ceremony on arrival, to the never ending enticing daily excursions on offer by our hosts/ hostess JJ, Delia and Kenani, the electronic age became a figment of both our and our children’s imagination. Communal dinner settings, yoga retreats, traditional village excursions, river tubing, thermal hot springs, snorkelling, Jean Cousteau scuba diving , cheap taxi commutes to Savusavu town, markets, shops and restaurants were the order of the day. When and if required however, cocktails and our private villa with pool provided the perfect escape. A big thank you to the Daku team – life has never been quite the same – bula, bula!

Room Tip: Pool Villa
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 March 2013

For the past two years, I've been lucky enough to immerse myself in Sophie Marsh's 'Journey into Joy' Nia retreat at Daku, and I can't wait to go back again this year for the third time. For me, Daku feels like home - a place where I can relax, be myself, be pampered, dance, breathe in the natural beauty of Fiji and bask in the warm smiles of the beautiful Fijians! The food is exquisite - so fresh, delicious and lovingly prepared. Delia & JJ's special style of twinkly-eyed and humourous hosting makes a Daku visit feel like you're an old friend, not an anonymous traveller. The staff are wonderful and apart from the Nia, my favourite thing is Kalo's amazing massages. I had a Fijian massage at another bigger resort and it was nowhere near as good! Counting down the days until my next visit in August.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Me and my friend Michelle stayed at Daku for 6 nights after snatching up the amazing 2-for-1 dive deal. What can I say - we had the most amazing time staying here. JJ was a great host being friendly, helpful and modest - picking us up at the airport with a big smile. He drove us to Daku chatty and very informative...the good humour never escaping him. When we got to Daku, we got given keys to a lovely bure with a queen and single bed & huge bathroom. A kettle, teas and coffee were also complimentary along with the 'Bula' and coconut drink upon arrival :)
The bures are set amongst luscious gardens and flowers of all colours. You can even see the water from the balcony!
With the dive deal we received complimentary taxi to Jean-Michel Cousteau to dive every morning. I cannot fault the hospitality we received at Daku and Cousteau. The staff were always friendly and happy to help, the diving was great and Savusavu is simply the hidden paradise everyone dreams about. Will be back for more.
Thanks for everything JJ & Devina xx

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 February 2013

After plying ourselves out of the Yasawas, we ventured aboard the twin otter, Savusavu bound. We stayed at the only hotel in town for the 1st few nights then made the brilliant decision to move around to Daku. What a relief to be back in a Fijian style bure (ish) and a friendly, family-type environment. Great bure with balcony over beautiful gardens and sea. Lovely pool area. I don't recommend breakfast there as it was cold white bread toast or warm milk for cereal. It's the best value place to stay close to town. Of course one of the main reasons to come here is to dive or snorkel... FAB!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ilovebarbeach
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We stayed at Daku over the Xmas and New year for 2 weeks in their 2 bed self catered villa. This was great as you get the benefit of your own a fully equipped place within the luxuries of a small resort. The villa was not flash but clean, comfortable and good value. The 2 stone bathrooms are a nice touch. We made great use of it's very large balcony and as the villa was high on the hill the view was just gorgeous. I recommend the Daku and it's self catering option if you have kids. The resort has a nice warm and friendly feel. Nothing like other Fiji resorts we've been to that have been larger and soul-less. The owners JJ and Delia are really good fun and genuinely make your stay special. The staff were all lovely and if there was any problem they were really responsive. There is a fab Yoga platform with a great view that guests are welcome to use. (Daku has Yoga retreats sometimes). I really enjoyed getting up early and joining about 4 other ladies for casual yoga sessions. We we're lucky to meet some really great people. So much so one night we hosted an impromptu 3 course dinner party with 2 other couples after they'd catch some fresh tuna for sashimi and fish for thai curry. Yum. Savusavu is a really special place to explore and Daku is well positioned and close to town. It has something for everyone, diving, fishing, swimming, good snorkeling spots, yoga and walking in the rainforest at the back of the resort. We had our car and JJ and Delia we really helpful giving us a new spot to explore each day. Best spot by far was Devandara (not sure of spelling) also known as the blue lagoon swimming spot on the road past the airport. Vast sandy beach with shade and crystal clear water. The water is like a bath and when the tide goes out it revealed a deep lagoon in the middle of the beach. Just amazing. Delia also kindly arranged a trip the waterfall which was pretty special. In town we recommend Graces Cake and Cafe for cake, Surf and Turf for fish and chips, Emmanulaes (by post office) for amazing fresh Samosa's, and last but not least Oasis Restaurant for a good Chinese dish. To be honest a holiday can be what you make of it but sometimes there are things that make it extra special and Daku is one of those places.

Room Tip: The Villa could pick up the internet, everyone else had to go to the reception/dining area :)
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family