“Exceptional Hospitality!”
Review of Daku Resort

Daku Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Reviewed 30 August 2013

When I give 5 stars it's only when it truly cannot get any better - which seems to happen just once in a while... JJ really took great care of us. His hospitality and good sense of humor stood out during our short stay. The food (lunch, dinner and bfast) was very good and my favorite beverage here was the home brewed lemon leaf tea. While we finished dinner the friendly staff sang a beautiful farewell song to a special guest who was also departing the next day. That was a special treat.

Hubby and I had just this 1 day/night here (between getting off a liveaboard boat and catching a plane the next day) but if we were lucky enough to return to Savusavu someday, we would certainly plan on a longer stay at Daku Resort, plus we'd schedule a few boat dives with the close-by Jean-Michel Cousteau dive resort. For being in the three star lodging category, we happily give Daku 5 stars for Service & Location, and 4 stars for our overall experience!

Full disclosure: the reason why I chose to rate only the Service and Location is due to an honest glitch. Our reservation via Booking.com somehow had not been picked up by the system at Daku and the resort was fully booked on the day we arrived. JJ sincerely apologized and offered to take care of our lodging at another place in Savusavu. Alternatively he gave us the option to stay at Daku at a great discount in The Lodge which is not typically advertised for guests as it is not a nearly as nicely furnished. We opted to stay at Daku and we don't regret it :)

Room Tip: Make sure you receive confirmation of your reservation from Daku Resort before you arrive, especiall...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Himne

Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Daku Resort for 11 nights in Bay View Villa no.2. This is a two bedroom/2 bathroom bure with kitchen and sitting room. It accomodated a family of four (children age 7&9) very comfortably. We were looking for a relaxed Fijian resort that was fun,interesting and affordable and found it at Daku! The villa was cleaned beautifully everyday and we found all the staff helpful and courteous. The food was delicious and the kitchen was able to make food to order for our children so that they could go to bed on time! We loved the fact there were three different courses happening during our stay, nia dancing, art and quilting. This meant there were lots of interesting guests to talk to at the communal dining table. We ate some of our meals at Daku and also went into the local town Savusavu to the Captain's Table and Surf & Turf. The resort and surrounding area were lush with tropical vegetation and the views across the bay were spectacular. The owners of Daku, JJ and Delia were welcoming and very helpful with ideas for activities. We did lots of snorkeling off the resort beach and further afield by boat, the best was at The Lighhouse and Split Rock, clear blue water and lots of fish. We also swam under a waterfall, scuba diving,river tubing, visited a traditional village and had wonderful massages with Daku's masseur.
The Fijian plumbing is a bit erratic, the water pressure low and not always hot, the pillows were a bit lumpy, but none of this matters when you are in a beautiful location and the children are having fun!
Thank you Daku for a wonderful holiday, we hope to return!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank RCH15
Reviewed 20 August 2013

In short, my stay at Daku was truly wonderful. Personalized service, for me, differentiated my stay at Daku from any experience I'd had before. JJ was at the airport waiting for me upon my arrival. He greeted me with his genuine smile that expressed "You are my new welcome guest!" Not 15 minutes had elapsed between the time I set down my luggage upon arrival at Daku and the time I set my bare feet on a yoga mat set down in front of Delia, who is an incredibly warm, accommodating yogi! In my three nights at Daku, Delia instructed our impromptu yoga sessions four times, and with smiles and passion! (and amazing shared views of the Bay!). The staff at Daku is relaxed, and truly strive to please. Meals are simple and delicious. I think I ordered a cajun-style fish dish three nights in a row (because it was amazing)! The quality of experience that you're able to share with other Daku guests is a draw in and of itself. The common spaces (including the restaurant, pool area, and yoga deck) are situated in such a way that makes interaction easy, and therefore helps facilitate formation of new friendships. I enjoyed some amazing conversations over the duration of my stay. The lush, green landscape, the inviting pool, the great food, the access to activities like snorkeling and town visits, all coupled with JJ and Delia's friendship, make a stay at Daku Resort and truly relaxing, positive, and memorable experience. I thank you so much, JJ and Delia!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank tigervespucci
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Daku was ideal for our week's chill out holiday. Staff were mostly courteous and helpful and we liked the casual unpretentious environment. For a mid range establishment Daku is very good value, and we so enjoyed the 'communal' poolside dining for new conversation after 35 years of marriage! JJ and Delia's presence certainly enhanced the experience.

We stayed in Ocean View room No. 2 which was excellent - we liked the room space, storage, double sink bathroom and huge shower. However, we couldn't see much of the ocean with the gardens mostly blocking the view of the sea.

The location is great, with spacious grounds, and just a short taxi ride to town for an occasional meal out by the attractive yacht harbor. We dived 3 days with JM Cousteau 5 km away, and appreciated Daku's facilitation of transport to get there. The 90 minute walk on JJ's property around the valley up to the ridge was wonderful with terrific views.

A very successful break for us and certainly provided a quiet yet interesting and enjoyable holiday.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HappyBob2013
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed my recent stay at Daku Resort. I stayed in in Bayview Luxury Villa No.1. When I wanted privacy/chill-out time, I was able to sunbathe on my private deck overlooking the front garden and beach, swim in the villa's private pool, pick fresh tropical fruits from trees beside the deck and even cook my own meals in my own fully equipped kitchen. Alternatively, I was also able to use all the facililities of the resort when I felt like it - large pool, dining and bar facilities. It was fun to eat at the communal table, meeting up with other guests. I was able to partake in snorkeling and other trips organised by the resort. The friendliness shown by the hosts JJ and Delia, as well as by all the staff made for a family type atmosphere. The villa itself has 2 ensuite double/twin bedrooms and a seperate lounge, which all open out onto the deck and private pool, affording fantastic sunset views over Savusavu Bay, plus the self contained kitchen. The villa is very private and quiet, yet it is only a 20 minute walk (or short taxi ride) to Savusavu town. I look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 15 August 2013

What makes the difference at Daku resort is the sharing of meals, particularly dinners by the pool when guests can meet and share stories...in a lovely relaxed atmosphere. The snorkeling outings are wonderful, as are the many outings on the Island and in Savusavu town, just a short walk away along the beach...and to finish the day, what can be better than a yoga session on the platform facing a beautiful sunset over Savusavu Bay..Thanks JJ, Delia and staff for the hospitality!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank IsabelleA1
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We had a family bungalow and that was spacious for the four of us (and had two bathrooms!). Nice seating area outside, but only two chairs in front of each room and they were to big to move so we ended up sitting on to different decks for breakfast... The bathrooms are very tiny but the shower is outside! Great - you can stand in the hot shower and look at the stars, we loved that! Savusavu is approx 15 minutes walk and a 4 Fiji$ taxiride away. The staff is kind but tend to be a little bored? Overall this is a good alternative if you are traveling on a budget. Would stay here again!

Room Tip: Not all rooms have AC - we managed well with a fan.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family