“A Beautiful Setting & Wonderful Staff”
Review of Daku Resort

Daku Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Brisbane, Australia
“A Beautiful Setting & Wonderful Staff”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Daku Resort is in a wonderful location overlooking Savsavu Bay. I had a wonderful week here in August at a Nia Retreat. I must say that the staff & everyone at the Resort was fabulous. Delia went out of her way to accommodate our needs whether it is to arrange massages with Carlo or take us on snorkelling expeditions & village visits. Kenny & all of the staff were great & the food was very good. The massages by Carlo were also excellent.

The rooms were a little basic. My main criticism of the resort is the quality of the bedding with very uncomfortable mattresses & pillows. This was not just my experience but that of several of my friends who were there for the retreat. My outside shower was cute but if I were to go again I would definitely ask for one of the lower front rooms such as No 2. They are more spacious & comfortable.

There were a few maintenance & safety issues which I think should also be addressed. A broken filter cover by the pool could have resulted in a nasty fall & the separation from the pool area down to the main dining area was also dangerous without proper fencing. This area is just looking a little tired.

Overall the resort is lovely & please don't let these small issues put you off, because the experience at Daku is special. If these small issues are addressed this would improve the quality of the stay immensely.

Room Tip: Newer rooms closer to the Bay eg Room 2
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Daku resort is a fantastic place to relax, snorkel, do yoga, and feel very well cared for. I went to Daku with my 10 year old son and we had a wonderful time. Food and hospitality were excellent, great pool, quiet and beautiful surroundings, yet convenient to get to town. JJ and Delia are fantastic hosts. We spent our days doing some of the most amazing snorkeling with the resort's boat and evenings playing scrabble, reading and relaxing. I am looking forward to going back with my husband and and will recommend Daku to all of my friends. This is my first tripadvisor review and I could not have picked a better place as my first rating.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I discovered Daku Resort through one of our sketchers, who has family connections on Savusavu. I then contacted Delia and the rest is happy history.

I am a Travel Sketch Tutor and like to take people away to experience another culture and to sketch their own story while creating a Sketchbook of memories.
We were delighted that the sketch locations suggested were exactly right for us to sketch and bond with the local people at the same time.

Each person said they gained much more than they ever expected from this relaxed Sketch Holiday, and being together every evening round the table like a big family.
We shared many of our hopes and dreams, sometimes never expressed before.

We came away with a better understanding of the Fijian Village life much of it learned while chatting with the ever smiling, hard working staff when they had a spare minute.
They seemed to like talking freely about their own lives.

It's a very comfortable resort with delightful bures, all individual, and some with private high walled outdoor showers.
You could shower in the sun and breathe the fragrant air.

Pathways were lined with beautiful flowers and foliage. Not too manicured, so if I wanted to pick some for a still life setup for class, nobody frowned.

We adored the food. Grown in the resort gardens or delivered from someone nearby who grew it themselves. Different cuisines each night and always fresh salads and fruit.

I will be back in 2015, when we will spend some time showing the local children how to sketch.
You will see the glorious shots of our students and children sharing a creative moment on this Sept 2013 trip. No language required.

Thank you to all at Daku Resort, To Raj the Manager who couldn't do enough for us. To Keni for his help in understanding the formalities and oratory required at the important ceremonies which mark Fijian traditions.
To Merione, Jessica, Dee, Carlo, George and his 3 brothers, ( all Rugby mad ) and all the lovely faces who we'd meet each day.

You will remain in our hearts forever.

Room Tip: This is a Resort set in gardens and palms. It is comfortable and great for groups. Choose single or...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Oakland, California
Reviewed 15 September 2013

JJ and Delia, the owners of Daku Resort, are great at creating an environment where everyone feels welcome and cared for. The staff are also always ready to help with a smile and the resort is the perfect place to relax. The outdoor pool is clean and near the bar (which has an excellent pina colada as well as other drinks). Dinner sees everyone seated together at one long table where the owners are happy to either guide the conversation or just let people get to know each other. When we were there, there was a quilting group and a yoga group as well as a few families and JJ and Delia had everyone talking and laughing together as if they were old friends by the end of dinner. The rooms are spacious with a fun outdoor shower and everything was very clean!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Daku Resort has become a home base for our team that travels to Fiji annually. It's so nice to be greeted and warmly welcomed by JJ and Delia, who go out of their way to make sure each and every guest is having a wonderful time. I loved the facilities -- a beautiful common area and nicely stocked bar by an awesome pool with outdoor sunbathing options. The staff are all wonderful and friendly. You will feel at home and instantly comfortable in the warm, relaxed environment the staff maintains!

Room Tip: We stayed in Bure 7, which was nice and clean. One full size (or queen?) bed and one twin sized bed...
1 Thank Suejung S
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had the pleasure of lunch up at Daku last week and I have to say, it was such a lovely experience. I am a very fussy eater and I went back for seconds!!! We were there for the vegetarian meal and it was truly delicious. I couldn't decide what dish I loved the most as they were all just so good. We also loved the communal dining table and enjoyed lots of great conversation. It was a good way to meet new people from such diverse backgrounds and enjoy hearing their stories.
JJ and Delia were delightful and such wonderful and generous hosts. We felt very welcome joining the group for a meal even though we were not actually staying at the resort, and we will definitely return on our next trip to savusavu.
We were even lucky enough to look around the gorgeous, lush resort and have a sneak peek at the courses that were running there at the time. We met artists, quilters and yoga teachers and all looked like they were enjoying themselves immensely in the relaxed environment that is Daku.
Well worth the trip if you're heading to the island.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jodstar70
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Have just returned from Daku Resort and a 7 day painting course with Mark Waller and it really was the experience of a lifetime. Delia and JJ have created a welcoming, friendly environment where you are swept up in so many of the wonderful things Fiji has to offer. Kenni, family and staff are kind, hospitable and produce delicious meals and this week provided me with experiences well beyond my expectations. It was Mark and his beautiful family that really were the greatest delight though. A generous talented and inspiring artist and teacher whose passion and skills were mesmerising. I came away with a great canvas and a wealth of knowledge. Thank you to all at Daku, It was money well spent and I am very grateful for such a fun and entertaining week.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo