“Best vacation ever!”
Review of Daku Resort

Daku Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Reviewed 11 March 2014

After 16 hours of flying and airport layovers we were happily surprised to be met at the airport by a ride to the resort and by breakfast when we got there. The dinners were fabulous, particularly the feast of local food. The extra arrangements made for us - diving and a village tour gave us an unparalleled experience of life in Fiji both underwater and on top of it. The proprietor is extremely knowledgeable of local economics and politics as are several of the staff and very willing to answer questions. All requests for services were done quickly and with a smile. And everyone treated us like family. The resort is located within walking distance of Savusavu where you can find banks, grocery store, a good sized farmers market and buses to other parts of the island. I will miss Daku!

Room Tip: If air conditioning is important to you, make sure you room has it.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Norma R
There are newer reviews for Daku Resort

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed at the Daku for a stop over while going to and returning from the village of Naboutini. It was at an ideal location, a short walk to town, but still isolated from much of the city noise. The service was incredible and the staff was very friendly and kind. The first night I stayed in one of the Bures, which was very spacious and beautifully decorated. Then moved to a bigger house when the rest of the crew arrived. The house was very neat and clean with and excellent view. The food is of high quality, fresh, and incredibly tasty. The experience was amazing and I hope to be able to return. The owners were extremely generous and kind to our group and were very helpful.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

We just stayed at Daku from Jan 27th - Feb 3rd, 2014 with a small group of 7. Besides a beautiful property, and 50 steps to the ocean, the fruit each morning comes fresh from the property mostly, and the bures are very nice. We stayed in the 2 bed pool "Bayview Villa" and were very pleased. They are in the middle of some renovations, which should probably be done within a couple weeks, but that didn't matter. The whole staff went WAY above and beyond to make us feel at home, with home cooked meals from a husband wife Fijian team, to Kava ceremonies to welcome and say goodbye, it was truly sad to leave. Make sure to ask about all the demonstrations they can do for you like coconuts, tapa, basket weaving, etc. Lastly, if you want to see the "real Fiji" just ask and they are happy to bring you to close by family in local villages and spend time. Best trip in a long long time. Thank you Daku, see you next year

Room Tip: The two "pool villas" at the far end of the property are amazing! Great air con, private L...
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This was a moderately priced hotel for the area, helpful, guest relations was excellent. I really liked all of the food and the staff were excellent. The hotel is located in a nice place, quiet and remote to most shopping. Great choice for travelers.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with trip.ru
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Excellent location, service, and food. The food is quality, fresh, and delicious. The staff are very friendly and helpful. It was during construction so no pool, but the reward is I get the reserved place to myself and not shared as I initially registered for shared room. Be mindful and aware of giant cockroaches and milipedes/centipedes as I found in my room. Make sure to use bug repellent all the time from mosquitos bites.

Room Tip: I stayed at family bure #2 it has 1 queen size bed and 1 twin bed with ocean view. It is at far end...
1  Thank CocoRockon
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I loved every single minute that I was here. I was participating in a one-week yoga retreat. Jen was a fabulous instructor and the yoga practice "room" is a gorgeous open-air platform overlooking the bay. The retreat owners, JJ and Delia, welcomed me in upon arrival and from the moment I arrived I felt like a house guest, not just a hotel resident. Accommodations were just what I was looking for - huge showers accompanying clean rooms that are swept and made every morning. The food is prepared by local Fijian staff members, all of them very professional and very warm. I enjoyed sharing conversations with the manager on site. Dinner was served each night at a communal table which I loved. I also felt like I was actually really able to get to know Fijian culture while here - the staff held several demonstrations of local tradition during my stay, and we visited a local village as well. It's also very easy to get into town by taxi (you could probably do the walk in 20 minutes or so). Something else I found really wonderful is that if you want to go scuba-diving, Daku has access to the dive trips at the (much pricier) resort down the road, so I was still able to dive without having to pay for steep accommodations, a really nice perk for a solo traveler. The greatest part of my stay happened at the very end, when in a rush to make it to the airport I left behind my passport! JJ, who had arrived at the airport shortly before me, made a quick call and within minutes had someone from Daku down at the airport with my belongings. If it hadn't been for his quick acting (and his wonderful sense of humor) I'd have missed my flight! I am already saving up for my next stay here; I can't say enough good things and cannot wait to go back - I'd recommend this place to anyone. PS - Kalo the massage therapist is excellent. I went with the 90-minute Fijian massage option and it was absolutely fantastic.

Room Tip: I shared a two-bed room with bath; was perfect - had a back porch and the A/C worked well.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Lydeldeb
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We have been in this hotel during few days with friends in December.
The hotel is quite well located, few minuts from the city with a taxi, and near the beach.
The staff was really nice, welcoming and helpful when we get troubles (no water anymore in our room for shower, toilets and sink) but we had to ask many times and insist to get it fixed before the night!
We had the backpacker room which was cheap and a good quality regarding the price but I recommend you if you can afford it to rent a bure / villa which will be definitely a better choice !
We have been snorkeling with the owner and had a yoga lesson in front of the ocean which were really nice !

Room Tip: The Ocean View villa would be the best spot for me except the one closed to the rubbishes which can...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends