“Closer to the real Fiji”
Review of Daku Resort

Daku Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Reviewed 4 April 2014

If you are on a budget, or just don't want to stay in a big-name resort, Daku is for you. Daku is a lot closer to the "real" Fiji. Comfortable and clean accommodations and very friendly staff. JJ and Delia are gracious hosts, and all of the staff made us feel at home. Kenny and his boys sang for us, and I got a good massage, too. The 2 for 1 dive special with Cousteau is a good deal, and the diving was excellent, although Cousteau diving staff did not appear to be as well organized or well trained as they might have been. As indicated on the website, Daku from time to time offers group courses and retreats. Before booking, you should ask about this, as it could have an impact on your experience.

3  Thank Vivian M

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I stayed at Daku for 3 nights. The negatives where that I had booked a room that was not available when I attended the resort, so I had to accept a lower class of room. The same higher cost room was showing on websites as available 24 hours after check in whilst still being unavailable. I think the resort are aware this is an issue and are reviewing their systems. In the meantime I would advise telephoning the resort in advance of any online booking to check availability.

Secondly the resort website didn't identify there was a significant amount of people staying at the resort who were on a religious retreat. This wasn't a particular issue for me.....but may have been for others. Again I think the resort are aware of this issue.

But the POSITIVES far outweigh the issues with rooms and accurate information.

The location is beautiful. By the sea and waking to the lapping waves and bird song is therapeutic. Fresh coconuts on site. It is also close to Savusavu centre should you wish to eat outside the resort and a short taxi ride from Cousteau's Resort. Everyone says Bula as you walk by them and it feels safe to walk day or night. Most people I spoke to from Savusavu seemed genuinely happy to call it home, and as a small town it is much more charming and friendly than Nadi and Suva.

JJ and Delia are charming hosts. However for me the stars of the show are the staff. I can't mention them all here, but Aubrey is a witty, interesting resort manager who is charm personified. I spent hours talking with him and he contributed significantly to making my stay so enjoyable. Cal who provides the massages manages to get rid of the longstanding backpain and little niggles in the body and is willing to assist, as well as playing a mean game of Trumps Ten. Keni I am very grateful to, he welcolmed me into his family home so I could get my sevens rugby fix.....his family are kind people.

So I would easily recommend anyone to stay at Daku. I have marked them as a 3 for rooms only because of the original room booking issues, not for anyother reason.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank smonk72
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I spent 11 days at Daku Resort on a solo trip. The staff at Daku resort were extremely hospitable. I felt like part of the family. The Diving is the best a have ever seen. I felt very pampered and the food was excellent. I think this must be the most friendly place in the World. Julie Crescent City Ca

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Julie M
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Living in Fiji, I am pretty familiar with the various challenges when it comes to finding somewhere to stay - theres the over priced luxury options, the generic hotels, the worn out backpackers, and the unremarkable midrange options. Daku resort bucked all the trends by being affordable, homely, clean, run by friendly local staff and defined by the relaxed authentic atmosphere we were looking for. The deal was sealed by the excellent food and the lovely entertaining hosts - JJ and Delia. The resorts close relationship with the Cousteau Dive centre was a fantastic benifit of our stay and JJ made sure we dived the must see sites. Highly recommended for any type of stay in Savu Savu, centrally located with easy access to the town, the reef, and the airport.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We have just enjoyed a relaxing long weekend in Savusavu, staying at Daku Resort which is just a 15 minute walk along the coast road from town or a few minutes in a taxi. Daku is set in lush tropical gardens overlooking the ocean. We went for swims and snorkelled over coral reef just opposite the resort. The kids liked diving off the pontoon and kayaking. A little further along the shore about 100m out is Split Rock where the coral and colourful fish are more abundant. We spent a couple of hours snorkelling there. We stayed in a bure above the pool area with a little veranda out front that looked out to sea. The room with aircon and fan was cool and comfortable for the 3 of us. Our friends (family of 4) stayed in a villa with their own kitchen, cool and roomy bedrooms with a huge deck and a small pool out the front. Very luxurious but nowhere near the cost of other resorts in the region. We ate out a couple of times but on the last night ordered fish, dalo and salad at Daku and it was really fresh and nice. Last time we stayed in Savusavu at a hotel for about the same price, but Daku is much more comfortable, in a better location by the beach and has more of the flavour of Fiji. We are booking Daku again next month. Somewhere really nice to take our visitors from Australia

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank FrankieFamily2014
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We just spent five days at Daku Resort and I would go back again and again! A visitor is welcomed and made to feel part of the family. The staff is kind and courteous and taked good care of you. The food is delicious--loads of fresh fruit and vegetables and deserves accolades as for being No. 1 in Savusavu!
Don't miss this Fijian experience!

1  Thank Lorrie M
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Amazing experience! We came to dive...and found so much more! The diving was terrific -- but the whole experience of the resort, the people, and the experiences made this one of my best vacations ever, (and I've been on some pretty wonderful trips!). We truly did feel like part of the family -- not like tourists at all. The people of Fiji are wonderful -- their smiles will make your day -- and the treatment we got at Daku Resort was first-class all the way. We made a trip into a village, were shown how to make tapa (and were able to purchase the mats made for us), took a trip across the island in a bus with the local people, and had interesting conversation with the owner and fellow guests over intimate dinners and while floating in the beautiful pool. The food was great -- and we really enjoyed being so close to town (and the local market with papayas and bananas --yum!) while also being far enough away to be in our own world. I definitely left a part of my heart at Daku with my new family there.

Room Tip: Not a bad one in the bunch! Some are air conditioned; some are not. All have fans and lots of air...