“Lovely very traditionally but needs work in cleanliness”
Review of Daku Resort

Daku Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Reviewed 17 December 2009

People were beautiful, so friendly and kind. I trusted them always.
The resort needs a tidy up and some important improvements on their cleanliness. Overall though we enjoyed the experience and was made always to feel comfortable and welcomed at all times.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 December 2009

This was our second visit to Daku Resort. This time we stayed in one of the brand new two bedroom villas. The villas were self-contained but you could still enjoy the resort facilities if you did not fancy cooking. Daku has an extensive range of courses available throughout the year such as yoga and painting. We plan a third visit in May 2010 to participate in the Hatha Yoga class. As a tip I would suggest taking the first flight daily from Nadi and Savusavu given variations in schedules so you do not miss a tight connecting flight out of Fiji.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2009

We stayed at Daku resort before our wedding in Savusavu and the kindness and hospitality of our stay, literally brought us to tears.

Daku Resort is run by some very special people and all of the 50 people (who booked out the resort with us) had the most amazing time. We always felt looked after and nothing was ever too hard to achieve.

Daku is very clean and they provide an excellent childcare service.

Everytime we wanted a cab, it arrived. If we said we wanted to do a cocktail night, the place was decorated as though we were Fijian royality.

Daku Resort will forever be a very special place for us and I know we will be back and many of our friends and family are already planning their reunion.

If you stay here, do yourself a favour and communicate with Raj, Kenny or the wonderful owner JJ. If you give them a little notice (so they can order things etc) they can really make dreams come true. That's what happened for us. :)

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 November 2009

I had a week in Fiji at the end of October and wanted a small friendly resort. I was traveling on my own before meeting up with a group for more South Pacific diving. I didn’t want a posh resort filled with honeymooners, but I didn’t want a backpackers hovel either!

Daku proved to be the perfect answer! The resort is exactly as it describes itself: “upscale budget” – “comfortable accommodation in traditional bures and villas with stunning views over the bay, a reasonable price, and a staff whose friendliness and warmth give you all the joy of a vintage Fiji holiday.”

Raj, the manager, met me at the airport and soon had me at Daku. Kenni, the host/activities director, made sure that I settled in quickly and invited me to the lecture (in-progress) from a local marine biologist, Johnny Singh. You are definitely part of the family from the time you arrive until you depart.

J.J., the owner, was on-site from the second day. J.J. will definitely keep you entertained! The day I left J.J. took me to the airport and stayed with me until we had worked out an alternative plan to get back to Nadi, due to fog/poor visibility canceling flights in/out of Savusavu (a group of us went to Labasa and got a flight with no problems).

The rooms are very clean and comfortable. I loved the outdoor shower in my room. Each day you return to find fresh flowers scattered around the room/bath. There is a kettle to make tea/coffee and a little fridge for drinks, etc. The ceiling fans kept things cool and comfortable so not having A/C didn’t pose a problem. The windows had screens so bugs couldn’t fly in and out. AND I had almost not mosquito bites!!! Amazing as I am a mozzie magnet!

Meals at Daku are served family style and were very good -- Lots of fish and vegetarian options. Indian night was great as was the BBQ night. I ended up eating all meals except 2 at Daku. The prices are very reasonable and will not break your budget at all.

The dive package they have is very good value for money. You get 7 nights accommodation and 5 days (2 tank per day) of diving at L’Aventure the dive operation at the Cousteau Resort down the road. The dive shop assigns you a locker and keeps your dive gear for you until your last day of diving with them.

The diving around Savusavu was very good (I’ve not dove in other parts of Fiji – FYI). A wide variety from the Pacific cast of critters appeared on each dive. The sea conditions were good. A couple of days were overcast – apart from not having full color in the reef, the diving wasn’t impacted at all. Water temp was 25C so I wore a 5mm wetsuit and was comfortable.

I was very lucky and able to get on a trip to Namena during my time there. It was a gorgeous sunny day, and the diving lived up to my expectations. The soft corals were unbelievable!

I didn’t do any snorkeling, but there are a number of good sites very close to Daku (including the beach across the road).

During my stay, there was a group of seniors from the US who were on a snorkel trip. They were an interesting group of active people. I was able to attend most of the cultural activities that they had planned for the week. The village visit (including kava!) with dancing and singing was a real highlight!

Daku host a variety of classes from yoga to singing to bird-watching. These are definitely worth considering.

If you are looking for the luxury and amenities of a 5-start resort, Daku isn’t for you. However, if you want a comfortable, friendly resort where you’ll be looked after, Daku is a great choice.

I am definitely planning a return trip to Fiji, and a stay at Daku will feature in these plans!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Without a doubt, a choice to book accommodations at Daku Resort perfectly harmonizes with attendance at the Oneness University. I highly recommend adding time to stay at Daku Resort located near Savusavu Fiji. You'll get acquainted with other students prior to or post Level I or II from the Oneness University. Daku Resort is well maintained and gives the added touch of acclaimating to the faster pace of the outside world. It is located a short distance by car (maybe 20 min) from the Oneness Campus and from the airport. The staff kindly offers transport to and from campus and this is very appreciated by the newly arrived student. The setting is lush and comfortable with an easy style. Book your stay with them, you'll be happy that you did. Ellen G :)

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 October 2009

We booked the luxury villa. The room furnishings are quite basic with a tiny bathroom, but clean, except for our cloudy pool which could have done with a good scrub. The resort grounds are lovely but the beach is brown and dull though the views are nice with great sunsets. Joshika was really helpful from booking to departure and great to deal with but the rack rate isn't VFM. I would recommend the standard bures.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2009

This was my 5th visit to Fiji but my 1st visit to Savusavu. A friend and I booked in to an art course held at Daku Resort. We stayed for a week and had the most amazing time. It was unlike any other trip to Fiji (though they have all been wonderful). Delia, Raj, Kenni, Mereoni, Jorji, Kara, Apete, Seru, Joni, Dimere and Carlo made it an experience we will remember and enjoy for a long time to come. Daku is a simple resort, the beds are very comfortable, the food is healthy and plentiful enough and the choice of activities is abundant if you want them. The snorkeling was exquisite and the massages sublime. The walk to the top of the mountain behind the resort exposed the most glorious views. The resort is within easy walking distance from the town centre and from Costeau Resort (if you want to see how the affluent half choose to spend their holidays). The painting course was terrific aided by our excellent teacher Kerrie who helped me discover my artistic mojo - we went to different fabulous locations every day to sit, contemplate and paint. If you are looking for a 5 star (subjective) pretentious, superficial holiday then don't go to Daku Resort. However, if you are looking for a place that offers a slice of realism with genuine warmth and friendship with an option to relax - or not, then Daku Resort is the place to go. I am looking forward to my next trip - life is too short not to experience such immense pleasure more than once in a lifetime.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends